Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2039 replies to this topic

#61 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I will say that the movement of the trees and bushes is kinda off in that video. The trees are too synchronized and the bushes are too desynchronized. But the lighting, though!

Posted Image

#62 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Also,

Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Some of the sidequests in Abyss are ridiculous. In one case, there's only really vague hints to go by; in a couple others, there's no hints at all.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#64 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

I've barely touched Dark Souls and I'm excited for Dark Souls 2.

I'm weird like that.

Not going to lie, Crotch, but after watching that Project Eternity video, I'm actually somewhat interested in the game. It looks really nice.

#65 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

It looks like a shitty Infinity Engine game.

Gawd that engine was hideous.

#66 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Some of the sidequests in Abyss are ridiculous. In one case, there's only really vague hints to go by; in a couple others, there's no hints at all.

when i think about sidequests i think about the one game that really got me into liking them

and that game is chrono trigger, because the dude tells you where to go. it's not fun looking for sidequests.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#67 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Gawd that engine was hideous.

Posted Image

Not going to lie, Crotch, but after watching that Project Eternity video, I'm actually somewhat interested in the game. It looks really nice.

Still a year out, unfortunately. And honestly, I'll be surprised if they hit their April 2014 projection.

Posted Image

#68 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Where do my ugly ass board game figures go on that board game?

#69 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

the underground tunnels in midgar were an absolute nightmare. i wanted to get the optional treasure so i had to stay there for 20 minutes longer than i needed, running into these rocket turrets that take two turns in a row, each attacking with a 12 second animation (i counted), and each time hitting me for exactly '0' damage. i don't understand the design there. they exist to be obnoxious?

#70 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Where do my ugly ass board game figures go on that board game?

Everywhere you wanna be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

when i think about sidequests i think about the one game that really got me into liking them

and that game is chrono trigger, because the dude tells you where to go. it's not fun looking for sidequests.

Chrono Trigger's sidequests are the best sidequests.

the underground tunnels in midgar were an absolute nightmare. i wanted to get the optional treasure so i had to stay there for 20 minutes longer than i needed, running into these rocket turrets that take two turns in a row, each attacking with a 12 second animation (i counted), and each time hitting me for exactly '0' damage. i don't understand the design there. they exist to be obnoxious?

Those are the ones that slow you, right? Hate those things.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#72 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Chrono Trigger's sidequests are the best sidequests.

As long as you pretend the DS version doesn't exist.

#73 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

As long as you pretend the DS version doesn't exist.

Fortunately, the new sidequests in that are easy enough to ignore. The new translation is awesome, too.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#74 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Fortunately, the new sidequests in that are easy enough to ignore. The new translation is awesome, too.

They're only easy to ignore if you're NOT like the typical RPG gamer — aka Hoardy McCompletionist.

I wish I had ignored them. I kept hoping there would be an interesting storyline payoff. Ugh...

#75 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

They're only easy to ignore if you're NOT like the typical RPG gamer — aka Hoardy McCompletionist.

Now I'm wondering how many of us are like that. I generally go for completing as much as possible within reason and without a guide (that said, I don't think I'll be finishing the remaining few Abyss sidequests I've been working on). Nowadays, sidequests have to be interesting enough for me to take on as well.

How about everyone else? Hoardy McCompletionist or not?
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#76 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Do everything and Anything.

If you're not going to than don't even play the game.

#77 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

It really depends on my backlog with other games and work/reading/writing loads with college. I usually try to do as much as possible in a game including side quests, mini-games and gathering/crafting stuff.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#78 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

I wish I had ignored them. I kept hoping there would be an interesting storyline payoff. Ugh...

I thought the bonus ending to the DS version was mildly interesting (it at least tried to tie Cross in a bit better), and it did have a slightly more challenging boss than Lavos. I did the other side stuff which just took a lot of time for not much reward, and I wasn't touching the monster raising thing at all, haha.

Now I'm wondering how many of us are like that. I generally go for completing as much as possible within reason and without a guide (that said, I don't think I'll be finishing the remaining few Abyss sidequests I've been working on). Nowadays, sidequests have to be interesting enough for me to take on as well.

Depends, I have been known to use guides from the start if I know the game has multiple endings and I want to get one of them (SMT: Nocturne is a major one that I used one for so I could get the True Demon ending on my play through), and for Tales of games since they are so crazy with timing on getting stuff so you can even access the end game side quests I tend to use guides. Outside of that I usually just play a game through, finish side quests that I find myself, if I feel like it I might check a guide before finishing the game to see if there is anything else I want to do; but I typically don't do tons of side stuff, and don't typically bother with anything that seems like it will be needlessly time consuming with little or no gain.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#79 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

With all the FF7 talk, I decided to try it out. This is my first time playing it. I only played for about 3 hours so far and I'm enjoying it. :D

#80 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Taken from NeoGAF:

Posted Image

Errmahhgerdd Tales. <33

Edited by Luxuria, 11 April 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#81 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

This is my first time playing it.

Wow, I didn't think people like you still existed! O_O It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on it as you play.

As for the next game I wanted to play, I'd finally decided to start Etrian Odyssey IV... but then I found a dead pixel on my XL. Going to call Nintendo today about that.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#82 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Probably going to buy a game (finally) for my 3DS this weekend. What are some of the best 3DS JRPGs? If nothing peaks my interest I'll just continue to play Pokeymans on it.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#83 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I usually try to get everything and do the sidequests that have a substantial reward (ultimate weapons, etc).
I almost never do any post-game content though. Once I'm done with a game, I've usually got whatever I'm going to play next already picked out and I'm eager to try it.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#84 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wow, I didn't think people like you still existed! O_O It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on it as you play.

To be honest, I just got into RPGs about 2 or 3 years ago and fell in love. I didn't play a lot of games in the N64, PS1/2 era(was poor at the time). Since I got a DS, PS3 and Vita I'm kind of playing catch up. I love the 8/16 bit games. I always wanted to play Final Fantasy games for years but didn't know where to start. I jumped on the recent FF and Persona sales and with a new 16GB memory card for the vita, it's time to play catch up. I'll update as much as I can on my FF7 progress. :bouncy:

#85 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Taken from NeoGAF:

Posted Image

Errmahhgerdd Tales. <33

If that is coming to the US I'm all over it, I'd love to have another Milla figure.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#86 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

i waffle on the sidequests. i usually do them if they're interesting, but i hate doing them and getting bored and not finishing the actual game.

also i like waffles.

got my harvest moon 3ds, time to start on it soon.

#87 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

If that is coming to the US I'm all over it, I'd love to have another Milla figure.

Apparently it is. ^_^

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

#88 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Apparently it is. ^_^

Is it a Namco Bandai online store exclusive? After all the headaches with Ni no Kuni, I'm not gonna bite if it is.

Also, re: trailer - the character animation's kinda wooden, but otherwise, looks good!
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#89 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

that milla girl is pretty cool, i really like her design.

i also have a weakness for blonde anime girls.
that contrasts with my preference for black-haired japanese real life girls.

(not that i prefer japanese girls over all other girls, but that when i watch TV and other japanese entertainment, i tend to find the black-haired ones more attractive than those with dyed hair.)

#90 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Is it a Namco Bandai online store exclusive? After all the headaches with Ni no Kuni, I'm not gonna bite if it is.

Based on what I've heard, it is a Namco-Bandai Store exclusive. I didn't have any issues with my Ni no Kuni order though.

I may be wrong on NA. It is exclusive in Europe.

Edited by Draekon, 11 April 2013 - 10:44 PM.