(DEAD) WD Scorpio Blue 2.5" 1TB SATA drive (PS3) for $69.99 Shipped!

[quote name='dallow']Seems like a good price.
Add capacity to the title.[/QUOTE]

Fixed...sorry at work and was on a call while posting...such dedication! :applause:

Just bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelst...65194932&sr=1-1&keywords=hgst+1tb+2.5+7200rpm

$84 shipped through onSale. Great ratings in terms of reliability, speed, noise, and heat (basically all of the above). Also 7200RPM and is SATAIII (6 GB/s - Says SATAII on product description, but it's really SATAIII). PS3 may be SATAII, not sure, but it's backwards compatible. If you ever wanted to move it to your laptop you could. I'm personally using mine for my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro and is quite an upgrade off my 500GB Seagate.

Here's some reviews of this one on Amazon, still very good. http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Mobil...&sr=1-5&keywords=Western+Digital+Scorpio+Blue

[quote name='Palinn']I have read mixed reviews on using the Blue drive in a PS3 due to the power saving features. Is anyone using one of these currently? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'm using a blue one and haven't had any issues.

[quote name='Palinn']I have read mixed reviews on using the Blue drive in a PS3 due to the power saving features. Is anyone using one of these currently? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have this on my ps3 and had no issue with it whatsoever.

[quote name='Draknight']I have this on my ps3 and had no issue with it whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

So the thickness was not an issue? I heard that anything above 750GB may be too thick for the PS3 HD slot.

And, yes, I know someone will take my post and turn it into something dirty.

I can tell it's been nothing but good for me. I upgraded my 120gb slim to this HDD last July but I paid like $120 or something like that after tax from Office Max :whistle2:#

It still has decent load times and download/install times. If anything I think it's a little faster. Only thing to knock on that the internet is right about is the lag during cut scenes. After I installed Rock Band 3 the intro was laggy and spazzing with breaks every few seconds. I quit and restarted and it worked fine after that. It's the only time it did that one time and I have 150+ games downloaded/installed on my PS3 that I've never had an issue with.

Mines gone through daily use of games and streaming (Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube). So my opinion is I think it's a great HDD if you're looking to upgrade. Plus it's easy to switch. I had no problem swapping my HDD out and transferring the data.

This'll be my first time upgrading a PS3 drive - very technically comfortable, but squeemish on this one.

Fear losing my saves, etc.

Is there anything the Backup Utility ignores? PS1 and PS2 game saves? DLCs?
edit: will it backup installed games or will i have to redownload/reinstall everything?

Wait, I see this is an internal HD. It won't have any problem with the old 60GB version of the PS3 right? The first version I mean.

[quote name='Juub']Wait, I see this is an internal HD. It won't have any problem with the old 60GB version of the PS3 right? The first version I mean.[/QUOTE]

No, they use the same hdd size and interface. Will work fine.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this drive. I just ordered one and if I don't like it in the PS3 I can always put it in a case and use it as an external.

[quote name='Tourista']This'll be my first time upgrading a PS3 drive - very technically comfortable, but squeemish on this one.

Fear losing my saves, etc.

Is there anything the Backup Utility ignores? PS1 and PS2 game saves? DLCs?
edit: will it backup installed games or will i have to redownload/reinstall everything?

It should transfer everything assuming you have a way to directly hook up the old HDD or temporarily transfer to a storage device capable of holding all the data you have. I had the same fear of losing all the locked data like LittleBigPlanet and other saves but was pleasantly surprised to see it all transferred. It looked exactly as if it was still the old HDD in my PS3.

Edit: Only thing I'm not sure of is game/DLC shares. You probably have to re verify and log back into the account you got the share from to use it again

Is this the right height for a ps3? Some are slightly higher and won't fit, since this is 1tb the extra platter might mean its to high to fit.

I installed a 500 gb western digital scorpio blue in my 60 gb PS3 a few years back and never thought it would fill up but after subscribing to playstation plus and 130 games installed it's down to 140-160 gigs. Should last me til I get a PS4 though hopefully.

it says it's 9.5mm, which is what ive read is compatible with the phat and original slim. dunno about the new slim.

thanks for the info, nismoz :)

[quote name='meta460085']Is this the right height for a ps3? Some are slightly higher and won't fit, since this is 1tb the extra platter might mean its to high to fit.[/QUOTE]

Yes it's the correct height. I own this exact model, even just went to check the box to make sure it was my HDD model. It fit effortlessly and perfectly in my PS3.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']So the thickness was not an issue? I heard that anything above 750GB may be too thick for the PS3 HD slot.

And, yes, I know someone will take my post and turn it into something dirty.[/QUOTE]

Thickness is never an issue if you know how to put it in right \\:D/

But in all seriousness I've had it in both the phat version and the slim version it it works fine. Don't know about the super slim myself since I still have my slim.

I have had a WD Blue 500GB in my slim PS3 since 2010 with no issues whatsoever. I bought it for $10 less than this 1TB is being offered for. I would get this 1TB if I didnt already have my 500GB.

Looking to grab it.............but "The promo code EMCXSXR27 is for a product not in your shopping cart. Please check your promo code and try again."

I think height USED to be an issue on 1TB drives, but they have since figured out how to make them the right size.

[quote name='Llamaw00d']Looking to grab it.............but "The promo code EMCXSXR27 is for a product not in your shopping cart. Please check your promo code and try again."[/QUOTE]

xZPYVBz.jpg

Alright...........so the code is only for newsletter subscribers only? NewEgg is already spamming my email with "deals".

[quote name='Llamaw00d']Alright...........so the code is only for newsletter subscribers only? NewEgg is already spamming my email with "deals".[/QUOTE]

That code is for the following drive:

HGST 0J11563 750GB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive Item #: N82E16822145449

Have this drive, and its slow as crap. Used it for almost a year, and it was a nightmare. Had to pull it from my laptop and drop in a ssd. Yea, its huge but slow.

Be sure to go check reviews online before buying it. Seriously.

Sonuvabitch ... spent too long poking around the site and the 69.99 drive in my cart changed to 89.99. Dangit.

Update: I opened a chat session and they credited me back $20 after I purchased the drive for 89.99. #stillgotit

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='emperordahc']Have this drive, and its slow as crap. Used it for almost a year, and it was a nightmare. Had to pull it from my laptop and drop in a ssd. Yea, its huge but slow.

Be sure to go check reviews online before buying it. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

It's not like the PS3 is gonna max out the transfer rate on this drive. Highly different scenario vs a computer running a (more) bloated OS + games on top of that. Loading times/install times might be slightly slower, however 7200 RPM drives run hotter which risks YLOD.

bread's done
Back