The "WrestleMania Stinks" Wrestling Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
523 replies to this topic

#241 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

Impact thoughts - Not a great show, but very good in spots and entertaining as a whole. Ken Anderson is an active detriment to everything he's in. Ditto Morgan.

Spoiler

Screens -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.imagebam....7xgg1oyoeyq6hty

I'm pretty sure SMS is on Hulu, but the version of Raw posted there is randomly edited - and not in a "just the good parts" kinda way.

#242 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

Pride Ref Cam should've stayed retired. Looked sloppy as hell out there. Much more entertaining when it's doing MMA.
Posted Image

#243 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

It was better than when WCW did it with the refer-eye cam, but yeah, it needs to go. It added nothing except for during the half-crab thing, and that same thing could've been accomplished with a close-up.

#244 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

Of all the things in that cartoon that link the character to Ryback, it's Ryback's perpetual pink eye that makes me lol the hardest.
Posted Image

#245 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Of all the things in that cartoon that link the character to Ryback, it's Ryback's perpetual pink eye that makes me lol the hardest.

Ha. Nothing a little cat hairball can't remedy.
Posted Image

#246 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

_

TAJIRI!!!

used to mark hard for him when i watched wrestling. nice sig

#247 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks. I found the video but Chase is the one clipped it and made it for me.

BTW, I hope it works out for your team to be resurrected. I know how much Seattle fans enjoy their basketball.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#248 Dr. Venkman

Dr. Venkman

Body Piercer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

As much as I loathed how Hogan ran rampant in the 80's WWF I must say I really miss the mid-card from that era the most.

People keep talking about when WWE "went PG". Sorry, but most of the Attitude Era was flat-out painful to watch. Was wrestling a hot commodity back then? Sure it was; because of that McMahon and the WWF/WWE writers took huge shovels of dog shit and threw it into a fan. They didn't care about decency or good taste.

Was 80's wrestling cartoonish? Sure. Was is hokey? Sure. Do I still love watching it? Absolutely. I like characters; the more outlandish and colorful the better. I simply cannot get myself to get behind a guy that is muscular and fake-Irish, or a guy with tattoos who always looks like someone just woke him up from a nap.

Because the Attitude Era occurred during a viewership spike (Which let's face it was started by WCW; I can admit that and I'm not even a WCW fan) Vince and company keep thinking "Hey, let's reinvent the wheel!"

Gag.

Give me Demolition Vs. The Killer Bees any day of the week and I'll be a happy wrestling fan.
I'm not yellow. I'm gold.

#249 bhk

bhk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Sheamus is actually Irish, but I see your point.

I watched TNA for the first time in years last night. Not bad....

#250 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

The reason I loved the Attitude Era/Monday Night Wars was the constant unpredictability and entertainment. Nowadays we pretty much know exactly what's going to happen in almost every segment on every show. The who, when, and most importantly the what are all known commodities for the most part in today's wrestling world. TNA has done a pretty good job with this problem recently, they have handled the Bully Ray angle with Brooke/A&8's well enough to where his turn and title win at Lockdown wasn't a complete known ahead of time. But the writing in WWE is so formulaic that it just comes off as everyone going through the motions instead of really being invested in their stories and their own characters. I don't think many people argue that the wrestling quality itself was all that great during the Attitude Era but the shows were a hell of a lot more entertaining then than they are now despite that.

My love for the AE aside, my favorite time in wrestling forever and always will be what I grew up with, the late 80's early 90's WWF (Superstars era I guess it's commonly referred to). I always loved the larger than life personalities, the comic book characters, the good vs. evil dynamic.....wrestling at its finest imo. I also prefer that more grounded less brawler style of wrestling as well. I know a lot of people today look back on that style and say it's boring but I still love it. I can go back and watch old episodes of SNME or Prime Time Wrestling and still enjoy the hell out of them. The one thing I hate is spotfests and today's wrestling can sometimes do too much of this, where the matches look so fake like everyone is doing synchronized swimming shit versus actually having an organic feel and flow to a match. TNA's X division is among the worst of the offenders today, especially now that they are all 3-way matches.....so many overdone spots in these matches so much of the time.

But alas that style is almost completely dead by now so I just go back and watch all the old footage I can and relive the glory days.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#251 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

I simply cannot get myself to get behind a guy that is muscular and fake-Irish

I'm not a Sheamus fan at all, but how is Sheamus "fake-Irish"? I ask this as an Irishman from and living in Ireland.

#252 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Perhaps it's not "fake," but he's an ethnic stereotype that's just a box of lucky charms away from being full-on offensive. He's not the first and he's not the last in WWE, but it's rather annoying to me.

As someone whose family is from Cork (and possibly Galway), but plenty of generations removed. So, you know, you got a lot on me in terms of gravitas. ;)
Posted Image

#253 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

We used to go wild in the attitude era, especially with ECW; which always seemed like a much bigger federation than it really was.

- The Hogan legdrop (WCW, man that was a crazy night)
- Steve Austin trashing his boss on TV
- Cactus Jack putting on 10 minute headlocks and pissing all the fans off
- Mike Awesome (WCW) jobbing the title to Taz (WWE) at an ECW event
- Lawler's fued with ECW, which was genuinely believeable that he hated the fans. He left some arenas in fear
- People in ECW who really weren't any good, but the crowd was so hype that when Big Dick Dudley, 911, Judge Mike Jones, and other bums showed up/returned it was bigger than Cena
- Wrestlers in various federations being beyond wasted, and still being on TV. Led to some great interviews

You don't see that unpredictability anymore except the post WM Raw. Imagine crowds like that every time.

#254 Dr. Venkman

Dr. Venkman

Body Piercer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

I apologize if I offended anyone with the "fake irish" comment, wasn't my intention. There's just something about his character that screams to me "Every Irish guy I know would kick your ass if you acted that way in real life"
I'm not yellow. I'm gold.

#255 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Fire Pro Wrestling is coming to the PSN store next week as a PS2 classic.

#256 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yeah everyone boasts about and reminisces the Attitude era, but it's really ECW right before and around that, that was innovating the sport and entertaining the die-hard wrestling fans.

I miss the days of ECdub so much.

That's awesome!

#257 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

Wow, I'll actually play something besides blu-rays on my PS3 finally! :D

Impact was good but I hate the X Division rules. Also, Ken Anderson needs to go.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#258 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

I haven't played a PS2 game in digital form on PS3. How do the memory cards work? I'm wondering if downloading/transferring edits will be possible.

#259 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

I haven't played a PS2 game in digital form on PS3. How do the memory cards work? I'm wondering if downloading/transferring edits will be possible.

Memory is done by making a virtual memory card, same as is done for ps1 games. If you happen to have old saves on a memory card somewhere you can use an adapter to transfer them.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#260 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Yeah everyone boasts about and reminisces the Attitude era, but it's really ECW right before and around that, that was innovating the sport and entertaining the die-hard wrestling fans.

Though ECW did most of the entertaining, WCW had a really solid cruiserweight division for a long time that kept me watching, and WWE had a good/funny hardcore division.

#261 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Sites also have downloadable files as well. I think I still have my usb with all the edits. I gotta look for it.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#262 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks. I found the video but Chase is the one clipped it and made it for me.

:)

If you ever want to change it, lemme know. I have been doing tennis GIFs and have routine down pat.

People keep talking about when WWE "went PG". Sorry, but most of the Attitude Era was flat-out painful to watch.

I agree. The Attitude era was just a watered-down version of ECW. "Chainsaw Charlie" for example—tho "Hak" was a bit more offensive. However, WCW began its fall right around when they started their own Hardcore division. Anyway— I had a friend with satellite television, way back when, and we would all gather and watch ECW. Just a side note, but it's interesting to see how the Internet boom has changed everything. And as the resident WCW diehard, I will take this time to say my semiannual "I miss WCW/the wrong company died."

#263 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

SD -
In summation - Alberto-Swagger was their best match yet and well-worth seeing, the rest was largely skippable. Main event was good, but would've been better in clipped form.

Spoiler

Screens -

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.imagebam....6g1hrc9d2htgf3h

I'm glad FPR is hitting the PS3. I doubt I'll buy it since I've got so much invested in my PS2 version's save, and doubt it'll look any better than playing it on the PS2 with a component cable, but it can reach a whole new audience now.

Edited by JaytheGamefan, 20 April 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#264 bg88

bg88

Michael Mann fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

I find myself constantly getting annoyed when I see Sheamus and Del Rio. It's not just because I find both of them to be pretty forgettable as faces. When either one of them comes on screen, it feels like WWE is constantly trying to reassert them as being Irish and Mexican respectively.

I think the audience is able to pick up on these things without it being constantly crammed down our throats. With Sheamus, he already has quite a few signature moves. So they naturally decide to have him start using the Texas Cloverleaf, not sure if he uses it anymore. If that move didn't have cloverleaf in its name, there is no way in hell they would have him use it. I'm not even going to get into how his promos cover every single cliche you think about when you think of a "typical Irishman".

It is kind of the same thing with Del Rio. They seemed to flip a switch when they turned him face. All of the sudden, His ring attire is the Mexican flag colors, along with the bucket, Ricardo's bow tie, etc. JBL seems to make an extra effort to include his family heritage during every single match. When he was a heel they would casually mention him being from Mexico. Now that he is a face, they try to shove it down people's throats as much as possible. The only thing that is missing is him wearing a new shirt that says in huge font "DID WE MENTION HE'S FROM MEXICO" (in white, green, and red of course).

Seriously WWE, how fucking unobservant do you think your audience is?
Posted Image

#265 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

As someone whose family is from Cork (and possibly Galway), but plenty of generations removed. So, you know, you got a lot on me in terms of gravitas. ;)

Hey, both my parents are from Galway, which means most of my family are from there, Uncles, Aunts, cousins, etc. I'm from Sligo. My wife is American though, from Kentucky. We prefer living in Sligo than Louisville.

I apologize if I offended anyone with the "fake irish" comment, wasn't my intention. There's just something about his character that screams to me "Every Irish guy I know would kick your ass if you acted that way in real life"

Yeah, he does act like a cartoon or something of an Irishman. Like I said, I'm not a fan. I've disliked him from his debut.

#266 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Better maybe?

Posted Image

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#267 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hey, both my parents are from Galway, which means most of my family are from there, Uncles, Aunts, cousins, etc. I'm from Sligo. My wife is American though, from Kentucky. We prefer living in Sligo than Louisville.

:shock:

I grew up and lived in KY until 3 years ago. Not Louisville, though. Cincinnati-ish, right along the river.
Posted Image

#268 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

:shock:

I grew up and lived in KY until 3 years ago. Not Louisville, though. Cincinnati-ish, right along the river.

Oh, come on, KISS ALREADY!

#269 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

At least Sheamus is Irish, Roddy Piper dressed like a Scotsman and was from Canada. Hell, I have "Scottish heritage" but I don't walk around in a kilt.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#270 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Better maybe?

Posted Image

Technically not a real Irishman. He's Northern Irish, not Republic of Ireland Irish. Better than Sheamus, though.