Batman: Arkham Origins Announced, Out October 25th

Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up.

Pretty quiet around here...is this an active thread?

Anyway, I'm 3 hours into this and I'm pleased.  Very much more of the same, but that is all I wanted.  At first I was irritated by the constant stream of stats and kudos that kept popping up, but I have learned to tune it out.  And the avatar awards...very nice surprise.  It was about midnight on Friday when that first "Avatar Award Unlocked" message popped up.  I figured it was just a t-shirt or a hat or something.  When I actually checked and saw what it was....Joy!

Haven't tried to MP yet, but maybe later this week.  Anyone else give it a go?  What is the consensus?

I picked it up as well (took advantage of the Pokeflips at GS so $30 in credit at release) and am liking it so far.  Feels a lot like AA and AC which is a good thing.  The story seems like it'll be a little short, but still a fun experience.  Havent tried the online yet.

Pretty quiet around here...is this an active thread?

Anyway, I'm 3 hours into this and I'm pleased. Very much more of the same, but that is all I wanted. At first I was irritated by the constant stream of stats and kudos that kept popping up, but I have learned to tune it out. And the avatar awards...very nice surprise. It was about midnight on Friday when that first "Avatar Award Unlocked" message popped up. I figured it was just a t-shirt or a hat or something. When I actually checked and saw what it was....Joy!

Haven't tried to MP yet, but maybe later this week. Anyone else give it a go? What is the consensus?
More of the same sounds good to me. I'm definitely picking this up when it hits $20.

I haven't heard of any game save deletes?  More info, please!

I'm not as far as Sim, but I'm liking it too!  If nothing else, I'm very glad that WB Montreal got that silky smooth Arkham combat down.  It *feels* like an Arkham game and that is a huge deal to me, being that Rocksteady didn't develop this. 

I have progressed a bit more in this (no save issues...fingers crossed) and am loving being back in control of the Dark Knight.  I like that they kept the free flow combat mechanics the same as well as the whole invisible predator thing.  Have a gripe though...

Two times now, I have been left not knowing where I am supposed to go next.  The first time was after defeating the arena of goons in the Penguin's ship.  I wandered around for 30 minutes through the halls and even backtracked before finding the breakable wall through sheer luck.  The second time was after defeating Deathstroke on the freighter.  I got a message from Alfred about investigating the potential killing of Black Mask, but I didn't pay real close attention.  I just knew I was looking for a crime scene and then I ended up spending the next 20 minutes investigating the WRONG crime scene.  Then I had to grapple around town for a while until I stumbled on the right scene by chance.

Is it too much to ask to put some more obvious markers on the maps?  I feel like the developers thought they were being clever, but some it comes off as just annoying.  Could be that I'm just little grouchy though and now that I know the "rules" I will probably know what to look for and how to pay better attention to those fleeting hints.

I have progressed a bit more in this (no save issues...fingers crossed) and am loving being back in control of the Dark Knight. I like that they kept the free flow combat mechanics the same as well as the whole invisible predator thing. Have a gripe though...

Two times now, I have been left not knowing where I am supposed to go next. The first time was after defeating the arena of goons in the Penguin's ship. I wandered around for 30 minutes through the halls and even backtracked before finding the breakable wall through sheer luck. The second time was after defeating Deathstroke on the freighter. I got a message from Alfred about investigating the potential killing of Black Mask, but I didn't pay real close attention. I just knew I was looking for a crime scene and then I ended up spending the next 20 minutes investigating the WRONG crime scene. Then I had to grapple around town for a while until I stumbled on the right scene by chance.

Is it too much to ask to put some more obvious markers on the maps? I feel like the developers thought they were being clever, but some it comes off as just annoying. Could be that I'm just little grouchy though and now that I know the "rules" I will probably know what to look for and how to pay better attention to those fleeting hints.
You mean more obvious than the huge Bat signal in the sky with the arrows pointing down to where you have to go?

Haven't tried the MP yet, but have been plugging away at the SP campaign. I've learned to ignore some of my early concerns and am just enjoying being the Dark Knight again.

In some parts the story has me thinking "been there, done that" but the gameplay, and the boss fights in particular, are a good time.

I'd like to try the MP and I really thought it would take off based on some of the early rumor reports. 

And Sim is right on, some of the objectives are NOT obvious.  Especially indoors.  I'm chalking it up to getting into the game mechanics early on, but at least one part was just poor level design.  Period, end of discussion.

trading this in today.  Lots of glitches as you get further into the story (which is very short to begin with).

Definitely a disappointment compared to City.

trading this in today. Lots of glitches as you get further into the story (which is very short to begin with).

Definitely a disappointment compared to City.

you're crazy. Game was great. Ran into freezing issues, and only ran into one glitch on new game plus. They're developing a patch now.

you're crazy. Game was great. Ran into freezing issues, and only ran into one glitch on new game plus. They're developing a patch now.

Well I had one mission become unplayable thanks to the glitch, have had multiple freezing issues, and I beat the story tonight with no interest whatsoever in MP or grinding for 100%. Its a fun game but nowhere near the level of Asylum or City. Much better to get the $40 trade-in now IMO.

I've had two game freezes tonight.  Thankfully no glitches making it unplayable, but still.  I have zero tolerance for crap like this.  On top of a game that, honestly, isn't meeting my lofty expectations.....not good.  Not good at all. 

This patch better hit fast or else....or else I'll wave my fist and make angry faces in the general direction of Montreal, where the studio is that made the game. 

fall+angry+hairbrush.gif

Update:

About 3 minutes after making the post above, I started up my game again and ran into another glitch.  Three times in the span of an hour = unacceptable.  Shame on you, WB Montreal.  Shame.  On.  You.

290327d5b8781c48ed419e4d1cac941b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like being an unpaid beta-tester for this company.  I dont know about the rest of you, but I really am considering trading this game back to gamestop for $30 and buying in a few months when the game has all of its issues worked out.

All and all, I am highly disappointed.

Looks like Gamestop will give around $35 right now (for members), Best Buy is at $40 if you trade in-store and maybe another 10% on top of that for members, I think Amazon is at $30.  I got the game at Best Buy, so I got $10 in promo credit + the $40 for the trade + some reward zone credit means I'll be taking it there at some point next week most likely.  I'll put that credit towards an Xbox One launch title. 

There's always ebay, too.  I have the steelbook that I was going to sell online anyway. 

I know myself and know that I have zero tolerance for poor programming and haphazard QA that make a high-profile game like this unplayable.  There is no way I'm sitting down to play the game again before a game-fixing patch is released.  Super disappointing, this. 

I bought the game for $50 .... the company has admitted that there is an issue with the product that the shipped ... in all honesty, why cant I get a full refund?

I dont like being an unpaid beta-tester for this company. I dont know about the rest of you, but I really am considering trading this game back to gamestop for $30 and buying in a few months when the game has all of its issues worked out.

All and all, I am highly disappointed.
I ran into two game-freezing glitches inside of an hour the other night. It's a shame because I had just gotten to a place where I decided to shut off my brain to ignore some of the plot issues when the game became unplayable. I could re-boot and keep going, but I don't want to risk a corrupted file.

I am not going to trade it in yet, but I am going to wait for the patch supposedly coming this week. If anything, I might just spend some more time in the challenge rooms; playing as Deathstroke was surprisingly enjoyable.

im playing on PS3 and while i havent hit any freezing i have run into a few glitches. sometimes the fast travel points dont work unless i restart the game, sometimes the audio just cuts out and i first met the joker and the cut scene was so choppy i barely understood what i was watching. im not hating this game but it feels more like a batman spin off than anything. i think arkham city is way better story wise so far.

Edit

id like to eat my words now. i  finished the joker ark and he without a doubt he steals the show. plus the shock gloves are bad ass!!!! the games been running smoother than it has been as well. playing as deathstroke in the challenge room is really satisfying.

Ha wow, what a slap in the face for those of us who bought it on launch. I'm loving Batman so far, I've only had 1 freeze last night when I was loading after Bane beat up Alfred. Still haven't tried MP yet though. Definitely getting my money's worth.

Is it just me or are the fighting mechanics a lot more difficult than the previous games? I find it harder to choose who I want to attack/counter/quick fire gadget which leads me to losing a lot of combos. My highest is a 60 combo but I usually get around 15-20 then some bullshit happens like I can't counter the proper guy or I kick a dude with a shield or taser with the intention of attacking someone who is unarmed and I lose my combo. Or I'll be mid-roundhouse and get punched in the dick and lose the combo. Really aggravating.

I just beat this game on PS3 and overall its a cool game. I liked seeing some of the characters before they were in their usual outfits. I miss having catwoman as a playable character though. Some of the combat can be annoying. Like sometimes i have a hard time getting a flow together because there will be a counter warning above an enemies head, so i press counter and it wont do anything and i get hit. Or i will try to press O (B on Xbox) to swing my cape and he just does it to air instead of going over to the nearest guy like he should.

I did run into a glitch, where i cant complete two side missions. Apparently there is a data pack in the church, and you confront a person in that church, but when i go there the doors are locked. I did everything to confront this enemy, but the game wont let me progress. It seems im not the only one either, ive seen a few posts about this. So its kind of annoying since ive done almost all the data packs while going through the story, and now i will either have to wait for a fix, or do them all over again in new game plus.

The combat can just be plain annoying. Things like pressing counter and it dont work, or two guys go to attack you and you counter, only for one of them to actually hit you. Hate when you are countering someone and you get hit mid animation by someone else. Sometimes there is a guy 10 feet away with a gun and im trying to press evade or the cape stun to get over to him and batman only moves inches each time i try.

Anyway, last night i beat the game on new game plus. It was a lot less challenging than i thought it would be.  Was also able to finish the black mask and enigma most wanted because my first normal game was glitched. But now i have to finish the other most wanted in new game plus and i think Bird will give me a hell of a challenge. Those fights with 30+ enemies at once are really hard for me.

I wish they would have made the game better though, its little things like not being able to complete predator challenges in training rooms. I am only on the 6th predator challenge and ive already beat normal and new game plus. So my only option to finish these is start i am the night mode which would be hell because if i die i have to start from the beginning of the game, or i can start a new save file and start all over. I dont know why they made them where you can only do them in story mode, and half the rooms dont even have the things you need to complete the 6th challenge. I dont even know if i will bother getting that achievement/trophy because i know i wont be able to complete all those challenge rooms with 3 medals. Never been that good at this game.

I actually really enjoyed this story and overall I think it is a better game than the reviews are saying but the combat has been tweaked just enough to make it less fun during combat.  The writing is great and the performances by the voices actors were top notch. It was fun but I don't see taking another run through the story again just because the combat was frustrating too much at times. 

Edit: Just reading others had issues with the combat. Glad it was not in my head that countering was a little messed up.

I got 100% on Arkham Asylum cuz it was so good and the combat was so fun, I finished the story on this one and just never put it back in. I want to do all the challenges, but I know it will just end up being more frustrating than fun.

I actually really enjoyed this story and overall I think it is a better game than the reviews are saying but the combat has been tweaked just enough to make it less fun during combat. The writing is great and the performances by the voices actors were top notch. It was fun but I don't see taking another run through the story again just because the combat was frustrating too much at times.

Edit: Just reading others had issues with the combat. Glad it was not in my head that countering was a little messed up.
This. Exactly this. I loved the game but it seems like they could've put a little more time into the mechanics. We get that its the same engine, but they didn't take the same care as RockSteady.
I got 100% on Arkham Asylum cuz it was so good and the combat was so fun, I finished the story on this one and just never put it back in. I want to do all the challenges, but I know it will just end up being more frustrating than fun.
I went back and did the game 100%. I loved the game enough to do so. But the new dlc sucks ass. Hate it. Barely even touched it.

I don't quite understand why people didn't like this game.  I'm playing through it now (probably almost done with the story and about 65% done with the Enigma stuff) and I am really enjoying it.  The combat seems fine to me and thankfully I haven't come across any glitches - which I couldn't say playing through Arkham City where my entire save file got deleted for no reason.

I'm not sure I'm going to get 100% but I plan on doing all the side missions and finding all the data packs in addition to the main story.  I doubt I'll do any of the challenge mode stuff though and I know I won't play through it again on a harder difficulty.  I do think this is a fine game and worthy addition to the franchise.  I can't help but think that if Rocksteady put out this exact game everyone would have been just fine with it.

I don't quite understand why people didn't like this game. I'm playing through it now (probably almost done with the story and about 65% done with the Enigma stuff) and I am really enjoying it. The combat seems fine to me and thankfully I haven't come across any glitches - which I couldn't say playing through Arkham City where my entire save file got deleted for no reason.

I'm not sure I'm going to get 100% but I plan on doing all the side missions and finding all the data packs in addition to the main story. I doubt I'll do any of the challenge mode stuff though and I know I won't play through it again on a harder difficulty. I do think this is a fine game and worthy addition to the franchise. I can't help but think that if Rocksteady put out this exact game everyone would have been just fine with it.
if rocksteady made this game it would not have been garbage like this one was.

if rocksteady made this game it would not have been garbage like this one was.
How is it garbage? It is basically exactly Arkham City but a different story and different villains. I played both and while I probably enjoyed City more Origins would probably be a B to City's A-.

How is it garbage? It is basically exactly Arkham City but a different story and different villains. I played both and while I probably enjoyed City more Origins would probably be a B to City's A-.
maybe they fixed stuff but at the start combat was awful and i hated the story.

I'm pretty sure garbage is bit of an extreme but since it's a different studio the best they can do is try and emulate what Rocksteady did so well with Batman:AA/AC.

Cold, Cold Heart just finished downloading so I'm about to go fight Mr. Freeze. Hoping this content is longer than the Harley one in AC...

I'm just about to the end, I think.  I really like it still.  I will probably collect all of the Enigma data packs and call it a day (just have some interior ones left).  I already completed all of the other side missions.  Definitely a solid B.

Have you done the last Anarky riot? The one where you hack the speaker and then have to find the bomb? I can't seem to locate it; I get within 30km of it but then have no idea where it's at. I'm guessing it's underground or something as I don't seem to see any thugs that would surely hang out beside it.

Nevermind, it's on top of the Soder Cola building. Specifically, at the very top, right behind the neon letters.

Yup.  I'm chasing down
the Joker, I think.  I already beat Firefly at the bridge and I just beat up a shit-ton of thugs in some square shaped room
and then had to go to bed.

The dlc was fun. Finished it last night within 3 hours. Still gotta find more Anarchy tags.

FYI. Look at the achievement list before playing. There's a few missals achievements that you may have to replay to get. i.e. 3 enemies through ice walls.

Just finished. So... What is disc 2 for? I never needed it. There are a few more things for me to collect but I'm not sure I feel like it

bread's done
Back