ps4 specs explanation please

Technical specifications(specs), everything you know as details of the device such as measurements, equipped hardwares, power voltage...

Games will be much less limited in areas such as enemy AI, map size, numbers of enemies/players. Current games have to make sacrifices to fit within the limitations of current consoles. Next gen games should be better in almost every aspect.

The big take-away from Sony's currently revealed specs is that the PS4 will be much easier for PC developers to port games to.

With the PS3 they had gone with a custom, proprietary processor with a bizarre architecture. The consequence of this decision was that developing for the PS3 was a pain, and most developers never bothered to take full advantage of the hardware's strengths. The only way you could have fully utilized the PS3 was to develop games exclusively for it. (which is why exclusive titles for the system often looked and performed better than cross-platform releases) This trend is true for most games, but was especially noticeable on the PS3.

The PS4's processor is a much more traditional x86 architecture. It has the same basic structure as most PC processors. This will make developing games for the PC and PS4 at the same time much easier.

Another important hardware detail is the RAM. 8 gigs of GDDR5 is a lot of RAM for a dedicated home console. Making this RAM available for CPU and GPU functions gives developers a lot of flexibility in how its used. And one of the things developers love the most for console development is LOTS of RAM. Bumping the PS4 all the way up to 8 gigs was a clear move on Sony's part to appeal to developers.

[quote name='Richard Kain']
With the PS3 they had gone with a custom, proprietary processor with a bizarre architecture. The consequence of this decision was that developing for the PS3 was a pain, and most developers never bothered to take full advantage of the hardware's strengths. The only way you could have fully utilized the PS3 was to develop games exclusively for it. (which is why exclusive titles for the system often looked and performed better than cross-platform releases) This trend is true for most games, but was especially noticeable on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

When I first heard this while reading details about the PS4, I too backfliped-judo-chopped my 360 friends.

this "mistake" in the PS3's era cost it so many lost game exclusives its not even funny. MANY and I mean MANY multiplatform games were made using the 360's dev-kit THEN ported to the PS3, this caused many optimization issues.
Comparing multiplatform games to exclusives like MGS4 (which was one of the first games to use all 54GB of a blu-ray disc) you could clearly see the graphical awesomeness the PS3 had over the 360.

Cant wait to see how the PS4 does, hopefully the new PS4 dev-kit is sooo easy to use that many Devs will opt to use it over the 720's =P

bread's done
Back