Mad Men

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#31 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

Really? I don't have any problem with either of those guys. The dancing thing was really weird though. That whole episode was really weird. I am tired of Don/Cynthia. I loved that Don rode the elevator with her in complete silence and stepped off the elevator before she did.

Also, why was Kenny injured? Just from having to entertain those crazy Chevy dudes, or did I miss something else?

Car crash. It was in the first of the episode.

#32 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

"I'm all for butt stuff" -Munkywawa

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

Car crash. It was in the first of the episode.

Thanks, I saw that part but I guess I didn't comprehend that there was a crash. I thought he just slammed on the brakes and everything was OK. I must not have been paying enough attention.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#33 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

I feel like this season is off the rails other than everything that Roger Sterling does, which is gold. The merger is the most interesting thing that has happened.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#34 Canadian_Man

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

First half of episode was meh, second half had some interesting developments.

Sort of but not really spoiler question...
Spoiler

#35 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

First half of episode was meh, second half had some interesting developments.

Sort of but not really spoiler question...

Spoiler

I believe they were going to the beach and I think it was circa 1968 swimwear.

My question
Spoiler

#36 Canadian_Man

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

Even being able to relate to his kind of thinking (with a much less extreme distain), I thought just the same.

On a similar note, as much as I like Peggy, I especially love how the episode ended on her. Of the three final shots, the first two were subtle yet very calculated and the third put them in perspective. Don closing is office door as Peggy approaches from distance, shes pauses then Ted closes his door behind her and finally Peggy alone viewed from the empty conference room. I believe the term is cinematography and man did I notice and appreciate it.

#37 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

My question

Spoiler

I've actually never liked Abe, the logic behind moving to a run down area of the city when you can afford better just boggles my mind. I can't believe Peggy went along with him. I was happy to see him get stabbed the second he got stabbed. I hope he's gone for good.

I think the assumption for the viewer is that there's probably something going on between Bob and Joan, which works for me. I'm not sure if Bob's gonna end up being a serial killer or what, but I like Bob, he's a nice guy.

This episode wasn't too exciting, but I liked it better than last week's speed episode. I've completely checked out about caring about Megan (I think Don has too). To see him and Betty backslide was fun but not surprising. Betty has really learned a lot about him and herself since they've broken up.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#38 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

This weeks episode wasn't too bad.  They really are pouring it on thick with the drug use in this show. 

#39 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

I didn't even know about this thread until this morning, I'm a huge fan of the show, it's my second favorite right behind GoT.  Needless to say I love the fact that both shows are on at the same time each year, makes Sundays awesome!  I watch GoT live each week and then catch the replay of MM around 11.  I really liked the last episode, I feel it's one of the stronger episodes this season.  Maybe I like it so much because it was one of the best Roger Sterling episodes of all-time, and as we all know, ROGER STERLING IS A BADASS!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think my DVR forgot about this show... second week in a row it didn't record.

#41 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I didn't even know about this thread until this morning, I'm a huge fan of the show, it's my second favorite right behind GoT.  Needless to say I love the fact that both shows are on at the same time each year, makes Sundays awesome!  I watch GoT live each week and then catch the replay of MM around 11.  I really liked the last episode, I feel it's one of the stronger episodes this season.  Maybe I like it so much because it was one of the best Roger Sterling episodes of all-time, and as we all know, ROGER STERLING IS A BADASS!!!

Sterling was pretty cool in this episode.  He's lost a little bit of screentime over the course of the show, especially with all the newly introduced characters, so it was nice to see him for a while.

I don't think I full understand what Pete was so pissed about at the end.  Was it just the Joan thing and then Ted letting it slide?  I know Pete takes every slight against him as a huge personal offense, but he seemed even more upset then normal.  Especially considering it feels like things are starting to move a little bit smoother.

Edited by tylerh1701, 05 June 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#42 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Sterling was pretty cool in this episode.  He's lost a little bit of screentime over the course of the show, especially with all the newly introduced characters, so it was nice to see him for a while.

I don't think I full understand what Pete was so pissed about at the end.  Was it just the Joan thing and then Ted letting it slide?  I know Pete takes every slight against him as a huge personal offense, but he seemed even more upset then normal.  Especially considering it feels like things are starting to move a little bit smoother.

All season long, everything has basically been working against Pete - his wife kicked him out, he's dealing with his mother, he lost Vicks Chemical (I believe his largest account), SCDP merged with CGC (pushing Pete further down the totem pole), and when he tried to find a new job, he was told the best he could hope for is something in the Midwest.  Avon was potentially a big win for him.  Not only would it have replaced Vicks, but possibly given him some of the clout he needs to find a job elsewhere.  After having everything that has gone wrong for him, it was just the final straw.

Edited by Cantatus, 05 June 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#43 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks.  Pete has had a shitty year, in retrospect.  Haha I hope he doesn't Lane Pryce himself. 

#44 Canadian_Man

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Pete is one of my favorite secondary characters and I'm glad Cantatus put his situation in perspective, as I didn't feel as though I had a good understanding of the Avon situation as it was developing. Although his developments have been significant, they have been purposely showing him less frequently which may explain me being less in-touch. It does suggest he will probably do something big soon along the lines of Lane Pryce. 

Edited by Canadian_Man, 05 June 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#45 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

The difference between Pete and Lane is that Lane knew he did something wrong and accepted the consequences of it.  Despite many of Pete's problems being his own doing (even arguably down to Joan snubbing him since she knew he'd likely take the credit for getting Avon), he's more likely to view it as things unfairly happening to him.  I'm not sure where he goes from here, but I don't really see him taking the Lane option.

#46 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

I don't think so either, plus I really don't see the show opting for that situation occurring again.  Pete will probably just get over it.  Seems like he doesn't have a whole lot of other choices anyway.

#47 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

My question

Spoiler

I've actually never liked Abe, the logic behind moving to a run down area of the city when you can afford better just boggles my mind. I can't believe Peggy went along with him. I was happy to see him get stabbed the second he got stabbed. I hope he's gone for good.

I think the assumption for the viewer is that there's probably something going on between Bob and Joan, which works for me. I'm not sure if Bob's gonna end up being a serial killer or what, but I like Bob, he's a nice guy.

This episode wasn't too exciting, but I liked it better than last week's speed episode. I've completely checked out about caring about Megan (I think Don has too). To see him and Betty backslide was fun but not surprising. Betty has really learned a lot about him and herself since they've broken up.

I have also always hated Abe. Dude's an asshole. Also, I don't think Bob will end up being a serial killer (everyone seems to think he'll end up being the Zodiac killer), but I do think he'll end up being gay. I've never cared about Megan, but this week's episode really made me care more for Betty.

#48 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

You also have to remember that Abe was very left-wing for that time and I think Peggy less so, but she went along with it. For him living in that part of town was a virtue. Turns out it wasn't for her and it made her paranoid. 

In the most recent episode it seems as if they are portraying an upward trend in crime, which would be accurate for the time period I think. I think they are in the period when crime began its upward trend that would eventually peak in the early 1990s. 

the logic behind moving to a run down area of the city when you can afford better just boggles my mind.

There is a theory in urban planning that if you make cities more diverse in terms of class, crime will go down because poverty is not concentrated in one area. Unfortunately, no one wants to be the subjects that test that theory. In other words, if Peggy had just stuck it out and more people like her moved in, then the crime would go down. In some sense, gentrifying a neighborhood would do that, but the existing residents are displaced, which isn't the original idea. 

#49 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

I have also always hated Abe. Dude's an asshole. Also, I don't think Bob will end up being a serial killer (everyone seems to think he'll end up being the Zodiac killer), but I do think he'll end up being gay. I've never cared about Megan, but this week's episode really made me care more for Betty.

I could see Bob being gay.  I kind of got that vibe with his interaction with the paranoid creative guy (can't remember his name right now)

There is a theory in urban planning that if you make cities more diverse in terms of class, crime will go down because poverty is not concentrated in one area. Unfortunately, no one wants to be the subjects that test that theory. In other words, if Peggy had just stuck it out and more people like her moved in, then the crime would go down. In some sense, gentrifying a neighborhood would do that, but the existing residents are displaced, which isn't the original idea.

Interesting theory. 

#50 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I could see Bob being gay.  I kind of got that vibe with his interaction with the paranoid creative guy (can't remember his name right now)

Ginsberg.  Funny thing is I initially wondered about him being gay.  They kept showing his dad pushing him to date, but him really not seeming to want to do so.

#51 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Some crazy theories out there around Megan. 

Spoiler

#52 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Spoiler

That would be crazy.  The person who I'm most concerned about right now is Bob Benson.  He could literally be ANYTHING.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#53 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Spoiler

That would be crazy.  The person who I'm most concerned about right now is Bob Benson.  He could literally be ANYTHING.

THIS is a pretty good article about the crazy Bob Benson theories out there. 

Also, the Megan Draper / Sharon Tate theory is another good one.

#54 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Great theories.  I've thought Bob Benson was a spy of some kind, but I thought it might be from a rival industry trying to steal secrets or something.  But I don't know.  But I never caught that he earlier said his dad was dead, but later mentioned his dad is back to full health.  That was definitely written intentionally.  Never caught the Bob Benson/Don Draper thing either (BB vs. DD, both 3-letter first names and 6-letter last names) because I'm not great at catching symbolism.  Some of those other theories are kind of out there, but some of them seem possible.  I know Sopranos got a little bit more "out there" in the later seasons and it worked pretty well for the show.  Some people hate it but I LOVE the Sporanos Spoilers:

Spoiler

Megan/Sharon Tate theories are very interesting as well.  Seems like they're building up to something big.  So in typical Mad Men fashion, we'll all be glued to the TV to see what goes down during the last 3 episodes of the season, and nothing major will happen. Haha.

#55 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Sunday's episode was a little slow up until the end.  Mostly I just feel bad for Sally I guess.  I'm glad they actually addressed the issue at the end somewhat.  Last season (I think) she caught Megan's mom blowing Roger, and then they never mentioned it again.  

#56 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I hope Megan does die.

Also, really was hoping Sally would try suicide. Glad to see Bob's gay, too!

#57 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Bob thing.  That was weird.  The Manolo thing with Pete's mom was weird too.  Oh man, these guys get themselves in the funkiest situations!

#58 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

This episode had me in stitches when Bob was looking Pete in the eye while Pete seemed so tense. He looked almost like he wasn't trying to breath for fear that Bob would try to rape him and when their knees touched I just broke down laughing and crying because of how awkward that situation seemed.

#59 Canadian_Man

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Only caught the second half of last nights episode, not sure I understood the whole Bob Benson reveal.

EDIT: Watched it from the beginning...

Spoiler

#60 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

^No, Bob isn't who he says he is.  He used to be a manservant (which I guess was kind of disgraceful?) but that's all anyone knows about him, but he clearly has an extremely checkered past.  Anyways, this is the second time Pete has found out something like this about someone (the first being Don, and when he tried to use this knowledge to his advantage it pretty much just backfired and did nothing for him).  This time Pete just brought it up directly with Bob, said he wouldn't inform on him, and that he just wants to work together, "but not too close".

That's what I got from this situation anyway.  I don't really understand why Pete's only demand was that Bob not get too close to him.  Specifically his line "I'm off limits!".  Is this just a gay thing, and Pete's that worried about Bob coming on to him?  Or maybe it's more of a "Don't con me!" thing, and Pete thinks Bob is planning some type of con against someone...

I need to read a little bit more online and see what everyone else thinks, but that's what I took away from it.  I think Bob may still be a danger to Pete.

I'm actually more confused by Peggy's tirade at the end.  I don't understand how she thinks Don is to blame for any of Ted's actions.  I could understand Peggy being mad at Don for saying this idea was Frank Gleason's, this once again takes credit away from Peggy's work.  (Peggy's been striving for validation since S1E1).

The rest of the episode was pretty good.  I could have done without Ken getting shot in the face.  Seems like every time anyone ever goes hunting on TV, someone gets shot inadvertently.