Mad Men

ClydeShebang

CAGiversary!
Does anyone around these boards watch Mad Men? I remember watching parts of season 1 a few years ago but never truly got into until recently when I bought the dvd's quite cheap and am currently 5 episodes in the first season.

I'm really enjoying it thus far, it's a nice counterbalance to everything else I watch and I just love the the setting. Though I want to say that I dislike Don Draper since I hate people who cheat on their partners and after how he was with his brother, I just don't. I just find him a fascinating character.

So far my favourite character is Roger Sterling, from what little I've seen of him.

YEP. And get ready, Roger will stay your favorite character. The season premiere was this past Sunday and Roger is still fucking amazing.

You'll keep finding yourself liking Don, too. Especially when he tries to have changes of heart all the time and stop cheating/drinking/smoking. It's always hilarious.

I just got to season 5.

Although a fairly shallow character, Sterling is awesome for what he is.

fuck do I hate Betty.

Miss Dr Miller :cry:

Yup, I watch it. I think Roger Sterling is most people's favorite character. The actor I think does the best on the show is the guy who plays Pete Campbell. He does a great job at being absolute scumbag at times.

I definitely like Don as the strong, silent type. But I understand OP's feeling about him, he is an extremely flawed protagonist.

As for the show, it's a pretty good show but it can move too slow for me at times. The Season 6 premiere is a great example. I have a couple other small qualms about the show as well that I won't get into because they're a bit spoiler-filled, but I do hope this thread takes off as a Mad Men discussion thread.

I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of Sunday's premiere. I tried to watch it twice and just couldn't. Season 5 ended on a pretty decent note so maybe my expectations were blown out of proportion?

^The last 4-5 episodes of Season 5 were great. Turns out, when things actually happen on the show, it's pretty entertaining.

You didn't miss much from last weeks episodes. Maybe next weeks will be better if you try and watch it, the only things that might surprise you are
Betty's hair color and Don is cheating again.

[quote name='tylerh1701']As for the show, it's a pretty good show but it can move too slow for me at times.[/QUOTE]

One things I've noticed and that may help explain this is that they tend to "preview" story developments in innocent side scenes, that drop the "news bomb" to us the viewers before being presented as a bomb to the characters. This makes for less passionate and more tactful drama that is true to the series' main character's traits.

I get the the whole shallow thing, i think on the face value most of the characters are are quite shallow.
I just enjoy the show as a nice quiet counterpart to something like It's Always Sunny, which is the total opposite.

The Pete Campbell actor is indeed very good, it also doesn't hurt that his wife is played by Alison Brie

This is one of the few shows I follow (once it's on DVD). There's some real subtle things that make me laugh a lot. I think early in Season 1 there's a scene where Don playfully kicks his son as he's walking by him, when he's sick and lights up a cigarette and puts it out after coughing immediately, some other things I can't recall off the top of my head but they happen frequently.

Season 5 started slow.. during one of the middle episodes there's a scene where everyone is sitting at a table dejected over recent events and it pans out with them all looking miserable and it got me right back in. There's moments here and there.

I'm on Season 5 right now about 1/2 way through. I like the show a lot - especially when I'm watching it.... but it's weird that I never feel compelled to sit down and watch it. Other shows I enjoy like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc. I'm usually looking forward to way more.

I don't know... maybe the slow pace is the main factor here - I don't feel like I'm ever missing anything. For example, I was current through Season 4 and then I had all of Season 5 on my DVR because I couldn't compel myself to watch it. Then I deleted it to make space. Now that it is on Netflix I'm watching it while Season 6 piles up on the DVR again!

[quote name='Javery']I'm on Season 5 right now about 1/2 way through. I like the show a lot - especially when I'm watching it.... but it's weird that I never feel compelled to sit down and watch it. Other shows I enjoy like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc. I'm usually looking forward to way more.

I don't know... maybe the slow pace is the main factor here - I don't feel like I'm ever missing anything. For example, I was current through Season 4 and then I had all of Season 5 on my DVR because I couldn't compel myself to watch it. Then I deleted it to make space. Now that it is on Netflix I'm watching it while Season 6 piles up on the DVR again![/QUOTE]

I kinda feel the same way, at first though mad men was one of those shows for me, like breaking bad and thrones is. I watch thrones first now because that's how excited I am for it. I am however, caught up on mad men however. Though I feel breaking bad has become superior. Walking dead not so much

[quote name='tylerh1701']Turns out, when things actually happen on the show, it's pretty entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I've felt about it. This premiere turned me off pretty hard, but I'll give it a few more episodes. I think I might just be done with it, personally. It was a fun enough ride.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Exactly how I've felt about it. This premiere turned me off pretty hard, but I'll give it a few more episodes. I think I might just be done with it, personally. It was a fun enough ride.[/QUOTE]

With only 2 seasons left, I'll probably ride the show out til the end. But I didn't go out of my way to watch the new episode last night (it's on the DVR at my mom's house, I'll catch it eventually) because I found the premiere pretty lackluster as well.

I think the most interesting aspect of the show is the business itself. From the restructuring from Sterling Cooper to SCDP, to the fake commercial they put together for Honda, to the ups and downs they had with Heinz, I usually find the day-to-day going-on's of the company more appealing than any of the individual character's storylines.

[quote name='Javery']I'm on Season 5 right now about 1/2 way through. I like the show a lot - especially when I'm watching it.... but it's weird that I never feel compelled to sit down and watch it. Other shows I enjoy like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc. I'm usually looking forward to way more.

I don't know... maybe the slow pace is the main factor here - I don't feel like I'm ever missing anything. For example, I was current through Season 4 and then I had all of Season 5 on my DVR because I couldn't compel myself to watch it. Then I deleted it to make space. Now that it is on Netflix I'm watching it while Season 6 piles up on the DVR again![/QUOTE]

All them shows that you have listed I've been meaning to watch but it's all about one thing - finding the time. Between work, gaming and life in general I'm really behind on a lot of shows.
Watched the first season of walking dead on dvd but haven't got round to the rest since a lot of chatter about the third season hasn't been so positive so thought move on to something else for now.

Still need to watch nikita yet, had that on blu ray over a year now...

Finally caught Sunday night's episode. Significantly better than the premiere. Pretty good pace and some interesting bits. Couple thoughts:

Now that Peggy is no longer with SCDP, I'm finding myself far less interested in her and her story. I've always loved Peggy, but she has a completely lifeless creative team and Ted Chaough has never been my favorite character. I get that Peggy is trying to be Don v2.0 but that she doesn't have the presence to do so. It's still not interesting to me at all.

Loved the way Don played the fat Jaguar dealer. I didn't think we'd ever hear from him again after his night with Joan, interesting to see him come back. He could turn into a major antagonist if they want him to.

Also find it interesting that Don has so much loyalty to the companies he represents (Mohawk Airlines a few years ago, now Heinz Beans) when he has no loyalty in his relationships.

Love the show. I actually liked the premiere of season 6 a lot. I found it really interesting that no matter how many 2nd chances Don gets to rebuild himself he is never genuinely happy.

Roger Sterling is my favorite character, he's the only one that is completely honest with who he is, his flaws, and doesn't hide it.

The slow pace of Mad Men is deliberate and can turn away a lot of potential fans but when stuff happens, it's leaves you at the edge of your seat. Like the end of Season 3.

Very good episode 2 weeks ago, and an amazing episode last Sunday. This is what Mad Men always should have been. (Obviously what happened in Sunday's episode can't happen every week, but I've mentioned before how big of a role SCDP plays in the show. When SCDP is in focus, Mad Men is at its absolute best).

Been watching since the beginning but I just watched my first "Next time on madmen" preview during the credits. Is every preview just random clips of people saying two words at a time with no real context?

I thought it was quite hilarious.

[quote name='Bezerker']Been watching since the beginning but I just watched my first "Next time on madmen" preview during the credits. Is every preview just random clips of people saying two words at a time with no real context?

I thought it was quite hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they're completely non-nonsensical and entirely out of context. From what I've read, the creator/showrunner is crazy focused on keeping any sort of spoiler or story info completely private until the next episode airs. It ends up making the preview pretty humorous.

I haven't had a chance to see last night's episode yet, hopefully I'll catch it tonight!

A spoiler for those not into season 6 yet, but I have to ask this:
Is anyone else sick of Don's affair storyline this year? I mean he basically tried to become Christian Grey last episode and it was easily the most boring part of the entire episode. For starters we've basically seen it before and even though I get the deeper meaning of it I still think it was boring.

I think I hate Sylvia's character about as much as Betty or Pete right now (which as a viewer I suppose you are supposed to), talk about no redeeming qualities, hopefully she's gone now. I also can't seem to place Bob Benson. He's either simultaneously both the nicest/smartest guy in the room or he just seems super happy about everything yet will eventually walk into SDCP with a shotgun. The episode title "Man with a Plan" probably refers to Don/Ted but Bob seemed like he made the biggest play this time around both professionally and maybe personally. Best moments this week had to be a tie though between
Roger firing Burt Peterson for the 2nd time or Harry once again getting stuffed into a smaller office.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']A spoiler for those not into season 6 yet, but I have to ask this:
Is anyone else sick of Don's affair storyline this year? I mean he basically tried to become Christian Grey last episode and it was easily the most boring part of the entire episode. For starters we've basically seen it before and even though I get the deeper meaning of it I still think it was boring.

I think I hate Sylvia's character about as much as Betty or Pete right now (which as a viewer I suppose you are supposed to), talk about no redeeming qualities, hopefully she's gone now. I also can't seem to place Bob Benson. He's either simultaneously both the nicest/smartest guy in the room or he just seems super happy about everything yet will eventually walk into SDCP with a shotgun. The episode title "Man with a Plan" probably refers to Don/Ted but Bob seemed like he made the biggest play this time around both professionally and maybe personally. Best moments this week had to be a tie though between
Roger firing Burt Peterson for the 2nd time or Harry once again getting stuffed into a smaller office.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much all this is spoilers, but since this is specifically a Mad Men discussion thread, I'm not sure if we need the spoiler tag, do we?

I'm glad I had to Google Christian Grey.

Yeah, the Don affair storyline isn't great, and honestly it never really has been. He's a straight-up womanizer at this point, which is fine, that's his character. But I don't understand why he looks for deeper meaning with most these women. Does he seriously not realize that he'll grow tired of them too? Why is he still bothering to look for happiness with women? He looked rather dejected when Cynthia left, and in earlier seasons he has practically begged some other women to run away with him permanently. I think that's what bores me the most about his affairs with women, he's not learning anything about himself. He's just making the same mistakes over and over.

I understand the bossing around of Cynthia had some deeper meaning (I'm not sure exactly what that is) but it was pretty creepy and not enjoyable to watch.

As for the rest of the episode, it was pretty good. Burt getting fired again was definitely the highlight for me, Sterling did is so cold-heartedly it was hilarious. I want to see Ted Chaough succeed, but I'm not sure he'll even make it through the end of the season. I myself am most intrigued with Bob Benson, I really want to see what they have planned for him.

With this merger, it feels like we're starting to have too many characters again. I'm wondering if we're going to see a repeat of the end of Season 3, when they formed SCDP and basically said goodbye to some well established characters like Kinsey and Sal. I'm wondering if a few of the minor but significant role players from Seasons 4 and 5 may be looking at far less screen time. (Specifically I'm thinking Harry, Kenny Cosgrove, and Burt Cooper).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point with Don's affairs are to point out the flaw in most people's relationships.. The fact that people can fall into and out of love so easily. I mean, he idealizes most of these women (thinking "this one will be different!"), asks them to run away with them, and then the second some shit hits the fan they break things off and he starts blubbering. It doesn't take long to get started, doesn't take long to fall apart, and in the end all it earns you is grief. Don seems like the guy that would've married in high school, realized he was unhappy after 2-3 years, and then just up and leave. Of course, he'd be back in a relationship before you know it because he doesn't have a sense of singular identity. He's only himself when he's around a love interest. I could be wrong about all of this, but I've been thinking about it a lot since I saw Rick kind of doing the same in The Walking Dead books. I think it's just supposed to represent how people are in relationships.

As for what happens with all of the characters? I think the new firm will open up a branch near Chevy and that's where most of them will get shuttled off to. Maybe have Peggy or Pete be the head of the branch. And no, they didn't reveal the new name yet.

Edit: Also, I hate Bob Benson. Almost entirely sure he has ulterior motives for everything. Hoping he kills himself soon.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Also, unless I missed it, they didn't reveal the name of the new agency, did they?[/QUOTE]

Nope, which is odd that they spend 20 mins tyring to come up with a slogan for margarine but forgot to re-brand their own agency...

The one thing I really wanted to see (and I hope it's next episode but prob not) is Jim Cutler & Roger's trip to Germany to placate Leica cameras. That'd no doubt be fun to watch.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I

Edit: Also, I hate Bob Benson. Almost entirely sure he has ulterior motives for everything. Hoping he kills himself soon.[/QUOTE]

Even so I can't fault the character for that, I mean it's the world of Mad Men, basically everyone has ulterior motives for almost everything they do.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Nope, which is odd that they spend 20 mins tyring to come up with a slogan for margarine but forgot to re-brand their own agency...

The one thing I really wanted to see (and I hope it's next episode but prob not) is Jim Cutler & Roger's trip to Germany to placate Leica cameras. That'd no doubt be fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

That does sound entertaining. I totally forgot about that bit.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Even so I can't fault the character for that, I mean it's the world of Mad Men, basically everyone has ulterior motives for almost everything they do.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I like Bob Benson. I actually feel like he's a red herring and won't end up doing anything besides maybe hooking up with Joan. But who knows.

I don't know what it is, anytime Cosgrove or Campbel's charactersl are on screen talking, I'm suddenly super aware I'm watching people spout memorized lines and I get taken out of the moment. They're not necessarily bad actors, they just throw off the flow to me. That dancing scene from last night had me cringing pretty bad.

I'm reading a lot of mixed reactions about last night, personally I liked last night's episode. Very little plot and lots of character interaction.

To summarize:
giOntby.gif

[quote name='Bezerker']I don't know what it is, anytime Cosgrove or Campbel's charactersl are on screen talking, I'm suddenly super aware I'm watching people spout memorized lines and I get taken out of the moment. They're not necessarily bad actors, they just throw off the flow to me. That dancing scene from last night had me cringing pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

Really? I don't have any problem with either of those guys. The dancing thing was really weird though. That whole episode was really weird. I am tired of Don/Cynthia. I loved that Don rode the elevator with her in complete silence and stepped off the elevator before she did.

Also, why was Kenny injured? Just from having to entertain those crazy Chevy dudes, or did I miss something else?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Really? I don't have any problem with either of those guys. The dancing thing was really weird though. That whole episode was really weird. I am tired of Don/Cynthia. I loved that Don rode the elevator with her in complete silence and stepped off the elevator before she did.

Also, why was Kenny injured? Just from having to entertain those crazy Chevy dudes, or did I miss something else?[/QUOTE]
Car crash. It was in the first of the episode.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Car crash. It was in the first of the episode.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I saw that part but I guess I didn't comprehend that there was a crash. I thought he just slammed on the brakes and everything was OK. I must not have been paying enough attention.

I feel like this season is off the rails other than everything that Roger Sterling does, which is gold. The merger is the most interesting thing that has happened.

First half of episode was meh, second half had some interesting developments.

Sort of but not really spoiler question...
Did they say what Bob Benson was doing at Joan's apartment or is it just suggested with him in his underwear?

[quote name='Canadian_Man']First half of episode was meh, second half had some interesting developments.

Sort of but not really spoiler question...
Did they say what Bob Benson was doing at Joan's apartment or is it just suggested with him in his underwear?
[/QUOTE]

I believe they were going to the beach and I think it was circa 1968 swimwear.

My question
Did anyone else go from saying "damn I feel bad for Abe getting stabbed" to "man Abe's an asshat and I'm glad he got stabbed" in the course of like 5 minutes?

Even being able to relate to his kind of thinking (with a much less extreme distain), I thought just the same.

On a similar note, as much as I like Peggy, I especially love how the episode ended on her. Of the three final shots, the first two were subtle yet very calculated and the third put them in perspective. Don closing is office door as Peggy approaches from distance, shes pauses then Ted closes his door behind her and finally Peggy alone viewed from the empty conference room. I believe the term is cinematography and man did I notice and appreciate it.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I believe they were going to the beach and I think it was circa 1968 swimwear.

My question
Did anyone else go from saying "damn I feel bad for Abe getting stabbed" to "man Abe's an asshat and I'm glad he got stabbed" in the course of like 5 minutes?
[/QUOTE]

I've actually never liked Abe, the logic behind moving to a run down area of the city when you can afford better just boggles my mind. I can't believe Peggy went along with him. I was happy to see him get stabbed the second he got stabbed. I hope he's gone for good.

I think the assumption for the viewer is that there's probably something going on between Bob and Joan, which works for me. I'm not sure if Bob's gonna end up being a serial killer or what, but I like Bob, he's a nice guy.

This episode wasn't too exciting, but I liked it better than last week's speed episode. I've completely checked out about caring about Megan (I think Don has too). To see him and Betty backslide was fun but not surprising. Betty has really learned a lot about him and herself since they've broken up.

I didn't even know about this thread until this morning, I'm a huge fan of the show, it's my second favorite right behind GoT.  Needless to say I love the fact that both shows are on at the same time each year, makes Sundays awesome!  I watch GoT live each week and then catch the replay of MM around 11.  I really liked the last episode, I feel it's one of the stronger episodes this season.  Maybe I like it so much because it was one of the best Roger Sterling episodes of all-time, and as we all know, ROGER STERLING IS A BADASS!!!

I didn't even know about this thread until this morning, I'm a huge fan of the show, it's my second favorite right behind GoT. Needless to say I love the fact that both shows are on at the same time each year, makes Sundays awesome! I watch GoT live each week and then catch the replay of MM around 11. I really liked the last episode, I feel it's one of the stronger episodes this season. Maybe I like it so much because it was one of the best Roger Sterling episodes of all-time, and as we all know, ROGER STERLING IS A BADASS!!!
Sterling was pretty cool in this episode. He's lost a little bit of screentime over the course of the show, especially with all the newly introduced characters, so it was nice to see him for a while.

I don't think I full understand what Pete was so pissed about at the end. Was it just the Joan thing and then Ted letting it slide? I know Pete takes every slight against him as a huge personal offense, but he seemed even more upset then normal. Especially considering it feels like things are starting to move a little bit smoother.

I didn't even know about this thread until this morning, I'm a huge fan of the show, it's my second favorite right behind GoT. Needless to say I love the fact that both shows are on at the same time each year, makes Sundays awesome! I watch GoT live each week and then catch the replay of MM around 11. I really liked the last episode, I feel it's one of the stronger episodes this season. Maybe I like it so much because it was one of the best Roger Sterling episodes of all-time, and as we all know, ROGER STERLING IS A BADASS!!!
Sterling was pretty cool in this episode. He's lost a little bit of screentime over the course of the show, especially with all the newly introduced characters, so it was nice to see him for a while.

I don't think I full understand what Pete was so pissed about at the end. Was it just the Joan thing and then Ted letting it slide? I know Pete takes every slight against him as a huge personal offense, but he seemed even more upset then normal. Especially considering it feels like things are starting to move a little bit smoother.
All season long, everything has basically been working against Pete - his wife kicked him out, he's dealing with his mother, he lost Vicks Chemical (I believe his largest account), SCDP merged with CGC (pushing Pete further down the totem pole), and when he tried to find a new job, he was told the best he could hope for is something in the Midwest. Avon was potentially a big win for him. Not only would it have replaced Vicks, but possibly given him some of the clout he needs to find a job elsewhere. After having everything that has gone wrong for him, it was just the final straw.

Pete is one of my favorite secondary characters and I'm glad Cantatus put his situation in perspective, as I didn't feel as though I had a good understanding of the Avon situation as it was developing. Although his developments have been significant, they have been purposely showing him less frequently which may explain me being less in-touch. It does suggest he will probably do something big soon along the lines of Lane Pryce. 

The difference between Pete and Lane is that Lane knew he did something wrong and accepted the consequences of it.  Despite many of Pete's problems being his own doing (even arguably down to Joan snubbing him since she knew he'd likely take the credit for getting Avon), he's more likely to view it as things unfairly happening to him.  I'm not sure where he goes from here, but I don't really see him taking the Lane option.

I don't think so either, plus I really don't see the show opting for that situation occurring again.  Pete will probably just get over it.  Seems like he doesn't have a whole lot of other choices anyway.

Duo_Maxwell said:
I believe they were going to the beach and I think it was circa 1968 swimwear.

My question
I've actually never liked Abe, the logic behind moving to a run down area of the city when you can afford better just boggles my mind. I can't believe Peggy went along with him. I was happy to see him get stabbed the second he got stabbed. I hope he's gone for good.

I think the assumption for the viewer is that there's probably something going on between Bob and Joan, which works for me. I'm not sure if Bob's gonna end up being a serial killer or what, but I like Bob, he's a nice guy.

This episode wasn't too exciting, but I liked it better than last week's speed episode. I've completely checked out about caring about Megan (I think Don has too). To see him and Betty backslide was fun but not surprising. Betty has really learned a lot about him and herself since they've broken up.
I have also always hated Abe. Dude's an asshole. Also, I don't think Bob will end up being a serial killer (everyone seems to think he'll end up being the Zodiac killer), but I do think he'll end up being gay. I've never cared about Megan, but this week's episode really made me care more for Betty.

You also have to remember that Abe was very left-wing for that time and I think Peggy less so, but she went along with it. For him living in that part of town was a virtue. Turns out it wasn't for her and it made her paranoid.

In the most recent episode it seems as if they are portraying an upward trend in crime, which would be accurate for the time period I think. I think they are in the period when crime began its upward trend that would eventually peak in the early 1990s.

the logic behind moving to a run down area of the city when you can afford better just boggles my mind.
There is a theory in urban planning that if you make cities more diverse in terms of class, crime will go down because poverty is not concentrated in one area. Unfortunately, no one wants to be the subjects that test that theory. In other words, if Peggy had just stuck it out and more people like her moved in, then the crime would go down. In some sense, gentrifying a neighborhood would do that, but the existing residents are displaced, which isn't the original idea.

I have also always hated Abe. Dude's an asshole. Also, I don't think Bob will end up being a serial killer (everyone seems to think he'll end up being the Zodiac killer), but I do think he'll end up being gay. I've never cared about Megan, but this week's episode really made me care more for Betty.
I could see Bob being gay. I kind of got that vibe with his interaction with the paranoid creative guy (can't remember his name right now)

There is a theory in urban planning that if you make cities more diverse in terms of class, crime will go down because poverty is not concentrated in one area. Unfortunately, no one wants to be the subjects that test that theory. In other words, if Peggy had just stuck it out and more people like her moved in, then the crime would go down. In some sense, gentrifying a neighborhood would do that, but the existing residents are displaced, which isn't the original idea.
Interesting theory.

bread's done
Back