next gen XBL is ditching MSP

[quote name='xXTwilightXx']long story short, microsoft is NOT bringing over MSP over to the new xbox console. so instead of MSP real $ cash will be used.

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-xbox-live-ditching-microsoft-points-for-xbox-720

i personally dont mind using MSP since there's deals here and there that saves you $ in the long run.[/QUOTE]
I had a feeling something like this would happen. It's a much faster way for Microsoft to make money because now people don't need to first buy MSP points to get what they want.

[quote name='GUNNM']How am I going to buy GoD games for 400 msp on some third world nations currency now? :([/QUOTE]

Yea, hooray for no more deals on digital games!! No more 1600 pts for $10. No chance to ever technically get the game of the year for free. YES!! But I might have 100 msp leftover after, oh no! :O

I wonder if Microsoft is going to convert MSP to $ if this actually were to happen. If not, that's going to be a big fuck you to current xbox live people who still have account balances.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I wonder if Microsoft is going to convert MSP to $ if this actually were to happen. If not, that's going to be a big fuck you to current xbox live people who still have account balances.[/QUOTE]
That's if most of the people switch to the new Xbox when it comes out which I highly doubt.

I doubt point cards will go away, it will probably just be more like PSN cards $20 and $50 as opposed to 1600 and 4000 points. It does make sense for them to do away with the phoney "points" currency anyway.

[quote name='musha666']Yea, hooray for no more deals on digital games!! No more 1600 pts for $10. No chance to ever technically get the game of the year for free. YES!! But I might have 100 msp leftover after, oh no! :O[/QUOTE]

This :applause:

I can never for the life of me understand why people think having a weird amount of points left, or having to buy points in the first place are disadvantages that outweigh the fact that WE OFTEN GET DEALS ON POINTS !!!

When was the last time you saw a deal on a $20 bill, they ever been on sale at Target for $10 ???

Another reason I'll be giving the nextbox the serve for at least the first year.

[quote name='benjamouth']This :applause:

I can never for the life of me understand why people think having a weird amount of points left, or having to buy points in the first place are disadvantages that outweigh the fact that WE OFTEN GET DEALS ON POINTS !!!

When was the last time you saw a deal on a $20 bill, they ever been on sale at Target for $10 ???

Another reason I'll be giving the nextbox the serve for at least the first year.[/QUOTE]
Not only that, also the fact that there's most likely going to be another "red ring of death" type malfunction for the ones that come out on launch day. History always repeats itself......

Just wait for the XBOX 720 Slim :D

I doubt the points will be useless, but yes, it's pointless to have a point system if the points are mainly backed by cash. MS and Nintendo, the point of point system is to have reward promotions, like participating beta or surveys. If the points are backed by cash value all the time, then why not use call them "cash." Honestly, I still have hard time converting the points to cash value when reading the deal pages. Well, not that my math is no good, just that I don't see the point :p

[quote name='Relentless Sheep']Not only that, also the fact that there's most likely going to be another "red ring of death" type malfunction for the ones that come out on launch day. History always repeats itself......

Just wait for the XBOX 720 Slim :D[/QUOTE]
maybe even a xbox 720 super slim like ps3, lol

I don't mind it. I never bought enough stuff online to hoard points when they were on sale anyway and I don't really bother keeping up on point sales etc.

So I prefer the convenience of just spending cash to buy whatever DLC or game I want when I see it on sale or just want to buy it day 1 etc. without having to hassle with buying points first, having an odd amount of points left over that aren't enough to buy any games or DLC etc.

Sucks for the true CAGs that try to saver every buck they can though. But I'm sure they'll still have dollar cards just like the PSN store does--and those will probably go on sale some. Though it does seem like those, and iTunes cash cards, don't seem to get as big of discounts as MSP used to (haven't paid attention to them much the past year or two).

Existing point better carry over. They should have a grace period to convert points. I have like 15 cards sitting here, it would be a shame to not use them on next gen stuff.

In fact, it'd be pretty sweet to get some launch games on Demand instead of disc based.

But yeah, overall this sucks for deal hunters.

The points were fine for the deal aspect. The stupid numbering system wasn't.

Now if we could just get BioWare/EA to drop their absolutely terrible points system...

[quote name='benjamouth']This :applause:

Another reason I'll be giving the nextbox the serve for at least the first year.[/QUOTE]

There are deals on Itunes gift cards all the time, just because they are in dollar amounts rather than point denominations doesn't mean they couldn't offer deals.

bread's done
Back