Starbound Preorder/Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

So Starbound is having a pre-order kickstarter on their website, http://playstarbound.net . It's a Terraria style game except in space, with procedurally generated planets to explore and build on and it looks really, really good.

They have stretch goals (well, one right now) and are doing the kickstarter on their own instead of through the KS website, so it doesn't seem to have an ending date? And pre-ordering gets you the beta and a soundtrack (and other stuff if you pay more) and a steam key.

It looks really good, and I'd bet it will be 20 dollars when it officially comes out, rather than fifteen, so it's a deal! Maybe! Either way more people should go buy it to get stretch goals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Revixe06

Revixe06

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Bought it last night. I got the Pixel Tier. Been waiting for this game for a while now. Thanks for spreading the word!
612937.png

Amazon Student (6 Months of FREE Amazon Prime)
* .edu email address required

#3 madgamez

madgamez

X1 Cometh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

So Starbound is having a pre-order kickstarter on their website, http://playstarbound.net . It's a Terraria style game except in space, with procedurally generated planets to explore and build on and it looks really, really good.

They have stretch goals (well, one right now) and are doing the kickstarter on their own instead of through the KS website, so it doesn't seem to have an ending date? And pre-ordering gets you the beta and a soundtrack (and other stuff if you pay more) and a steam key.

It looks really good, and I'd bet it will be 20 dollars when it officially comes out, rather than fifteen, so it's a deal! Maybe! Either way more people should go buy it to get stretch goals.

Misread nevermind.

#4 eulogywerd21

eulogywerd21

APPLAUSE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Holy shniz! They've gotten nearly 1/2 a mil, already. According to their counter any way. Impressive.
jkimrey: Do it man! It's a steam key - one place for all your games. Plus, you gotta catch 'em all.

#5 Edzo04

Edzo04

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

wish this was coming to vita. id enjoy it much more on a handheld

#6 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

wish this was coming to vita. id enjoy it much more on a handheld

Well the problem is that they're basically making and funding and publishing it themselves. They're kickstartering because some of their people had to take second jobs just to make it.

I imagine if it does well, it could end up in other places.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 TheGuardianWolf

TheGuardianWolf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

It'll probably make it to the Ouya.

#8 NEP

NEP

Oogaboogabooga

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

This really isn't a deal. There is no discount for pre-ordering. Just seems like advertising to me. :-\"

#9 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

this isn't really a deal not it's not a preorder, in fact, there is NO GUARANTEE that the game will ever be finished.

A lot of Kick Start projects that has been Funded but fail to execute (or on Time), or changes from initial projection.

#10 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

it's not a preorder, in fact, there is NO GUARANTEE that the game will ever be finished.

A lot of Kick Start projects that has been Funded but fail to execute (or on Time), or changes from initial projection.

The difference here is that they have indeed done a great deal of the work already and proven the concept. By your logic, if you preorder a game from an AAA Dev, there is "NO GUARANTEE" it will ever be finished. True, however it's the exact same.
Looking for a friendly little gaming community? You should check out BiosHub! We play a little bit of everything, from Natural Selection 2 and PlanetSide 2 to Guild Wars 2 and AI Wars. - http://bioshub.com/

#11 Byakurai

Byakurai

CAG Busta

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

this isn't really a deal not it's not a preorder, in fact, there is NO GUARANTEE that the game will ever be finished.

I'm still waiting patiently for boot city heroes.

#12 Edzo04

Edzo04

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well the problem is that they're basically making and funding and publishing it themselves. They're kickstartering because some of their people had to take second jobs just to make it.

I imagine if it does well, it could end up in other places.

yeah that makes sense. im just spoiled by the vita and want every game to be released on it haha. ill probably buy this steam version to support it because it does look really cool

#13 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

The difference here is that they have indeed done a great deal of the work already and proven the concept. By your logic, if you preorder a game from an AAA Dev, there is "NO GUARANTEE" it will ever be finished. True, however it's the exact same.

Except if you preorder an actual retail game and the game never ships, the retailer will refund your money. Kickstarter offers no such guarantee. This is not a deal nor a preorder at a discount. As such, the thread needs to be moved.

#14 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

This is not a deal nor a preorder at a discount. As such, the thread needs to be moved.

http://community.pla...81/#post-658382

- Preordering will be cheaper than buying the game after it comes out of beta

$15 for basic level pre-order so it'll likely be $20 at release.
sudo mklove

#15 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

http://community.pla...81/#post-658382

$15 for basic level pre-order so it'll likely be $20 at release.

This is a deals forum. A discount on a game that doesn't exist yet and may never be released is not a deal. The retail price hasn't even been set. This thread needs to be moved just like every other Kickstarter or donation thread has been.

#16 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

By that measure there shouldn't be any pre-order discounts listed here as none of the games are out yet and any of them could be canceled before launch.

There is no 'this is a donation without any guarantee' ala Kickstarter. This isn't a Kickstarter. It's a discounted pre-order using the Humble Store but it has unlocks at certain levels of sales like a Kickstarter. Should the game evaporate into thin air and never release then you can look to PayPal, Amazon, or Google for your refund.

Edited by Fell Open Ian, 15 April 2013 - 04:22 PM.

sudo mklove

#17 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Except if you preorder an actual retail game and the game never ships, the retailer will refund your money. Kickstarter offers no such guarantee. This is not a deal nor a preorder at a discount. As such, the thread needs to be moved.

Yep. This isn't even a kickstarter is it? It's something they're doing on their website that is similar to what kickstarter does. I'm not even sure they had a goal to meet. Looks interesting and I might buy it when it's release though.

#18 DarkZero104

DarkZero104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm pretty sure the only kickstarter with a case for a deal is divinity original sin. And that is entirely because the game was going to be made anyway and this was larian's way of getting more funds for a directors cut game. Kickstarter isn't always not a deal ($25 for original sin, $40 for dragon commander) and there are exceptions to the rule.

Not sure this is one though.

#19 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Yep. This isn't even a kickstarter is it? It's something they're doing on their website that is similar to what kickstarter does. I'm not even sure they had a goal to meet. Looks interesting and I might buy it when it's release though.

Basically the reason for this is that some of their developers had to take on second jobs, slowing production of the game. This was to allow them to solely focus on the game and release it sooner rather than continually delaying it. Since they already passed that, the stretch goals are for hiring outside help to focus on something to get it before retail release. They would be added at some point post-launch, but this just speeds things up.

Also, the transactions are handled through Humble Bundle in case anyone was curious.