NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition $129.99 on Amazon

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 HiGHFLYiN9

HiGHFLYiN9

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'm really enjoying mine, the cost of some great SNK nostalgia comes pretty cheap at $129. I didn't really have any interest in playing on TV so I only use the handheld. I think people just don't know what to expect; this isn't going to be the same quality as a system that is going to have a distribution of millions of units with a hefty R&D budget; this is a niche offering. That being said, the build quality is very good, with the rubberized back, chrome logo adornment, generously sized screen and tactile joystick.

Granted, I don't like that the unit has to be charged in the "system" and the game cartridges only contain three games each (lame!), but I'm pretty happy that someone took the time and effort to bring this to market. The games are responsive, graphically well represented and remind me of playing on SNK cabinets at the arcade many years ago. If you're an SNK fan, this is definitely worth giving a shot.

#32 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

lol.. I added one to my cart at Best Buy last night because my cousin really wants one for his bday. Today I looked at my cart and the price is $109...but it wont let me buy it. When I search for it on the site it's gone too.

#33 wugenius

wugenius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Deal is dead

#34 paean

paean

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

My U.S. Ninja Master's AES cartridge say F'off :)

#35 x1Bocephus1x

x1Bocephus1x

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hell I couldnt afford Neo Geo in 1990 at $600 for console and $200 for a cartridge. Ebay prices now are still high. This is the poor mans neo geo. I got one. Maybe when I make my fortune I can afford the AES or MVS. Besides with wife and family this will be okay with wife. I get AES and she will need another diamond. Lol. :D
[URL="http://card.mygamercard.net/x1Bocephus1x.png"][/URL]

#36 icewolf74

icewolf74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

I got mine from Best Buy yesterday and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! This brings back so many great memories as a teen in the early 90s, when the Neo Geo was in its height of popularity. I don't have a problem with the graphics like many have stated and I am running mine on an HDTV. I mean, I can definitely see the lower resolution, even using the HDMI cable, but these are 20 year old games and are more meant for CRT televisions and not HDTVs. I would say it is the equivalent of running the games on a computer monitor with an emulator, but at a slightly lower resolution....I guess. I don't care though because I love having these games. Best part my two favorite fighting games are on it, and ones I've played the most so far: Samurai Shodown 2 and King of Fighters 95.

I always wanted an AES console when it came out, but like most, it was waaaaaay out of my price range back in the day. I remember drooling over the demo unit back in Babbages and thinking how great it would be to have it. Well those days are no more because I do have one, albeit a digital version and a recreation of the console unit. Good enough for me. lol :D

#37 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

I plan on picking this up soon. Maybe next price drop. I also plan on playing it on my old crt tv I use for the classics. I find it hard to play games that were never meant to be played on HD on an HD. Im wondering if this has something to do with people be critical about the graphics?

#38 UnlockPotential

UnlockPotential

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Too retro for me. There's a problem when you can buy a current gen console cheaper than some blast from the past. :/ I'm content with digital downloads on today's systems.

#39 thrinn

thrinn

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

There's a problem when you can buy a current gen console cheaper than some blast from the past.

Sure, but current gen consoles don't include 21 games and an arcade stick though. Unfortunately it sounds like they went with quantity over quality.

Edited by Thrinn, 20 April 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#40 TehTriggerman

TehTriggerman

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Hey Triggerman, how is that Sengoku 2001 treating you, still in the collection? :)

Hey :D

Yup,

She's as snug as a Bug in a Rug with the others.

Posted Image

Megami_Tengoku_II_PC_FX_Banner.jpg

#41 Blackshear

Blackshear

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

I play on a CRT with a/v cables.. Looks great
Currently playing:
Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, GTA V, GoW: Ascension, Starbound Beta

#42 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

I will be getting this console around May. I am trying to budget my money and May is my next "videogame treat" purchase for myself. Hopefully the price of 130 (or lower) will still be around on Amazon by the time I order one.

By the way, I just found this youtube video and after watching it, I am convinced the console is well worth 130 dollars!

Thanks for posting the video. I'm really trying to hold out for under $100 but after watching that video I want one now =)

Eventually when we buy a house I want a MVS but that's at least 3-4 years away and it be nice to play some of the games again now.

Hey :D

Yup,

Posted Image

Oh man now that is Sexy! =D

#43 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yup,

nice, but this one is more impressive. and it sales for a small fortune.

http://www.neo-geo.c...AES-US-like-new

#44 TehTriggerman

TehTriggerman

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

nice, but this one is more impressive. and it sales for a small fortune.

http://www.neo-geo.c...AES-US-like-new

O RLY?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3375304aa0

Megami_Tengoku_II_PC_FX_Banner.jpg

#45 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

O RLY?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3375304aa0

RLY. you might want to look a little harder next time. asking price doesn't equal actual worth. id recommend you reading that entire thread. it actually talks about the guy that supposedly sold his copy for a ridiculous price. he has a reputation to gouging people that aren't knowledgeable about neo geo values. here are examples of what its worth realistically. also its a toss up on rarity between the us & jpn vesions. some people say the us, some say jpn, some say they are equal.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

http://www.neostore....h-AES-p/989.htm

Edited by gmsick, 21 April 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#46 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Does anyone know if they are still gonna release the system update and the planned game bundles for this still. Im thinking with the price drops and bad buzz around this they may not release anything else. It might force my hand to get an original system if thats the case.

#47 x1Bocephus1x

x1Bocephus1x

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Does anyone know if they are still gonna release the system update and the planned game bundles for this still. Im thinking with the price drops and bad buzz around this they may not release anything else. It might force my hand to get an original system if thats the case.

5 separate game packs are coming out this week. See Amazon

#48 smallsharkbigbite

smallsharkbigbite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Is there controller lag when it's docked? That was one of the things I've heard and would be my biggest holdup to getting something like this.

#49 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

5 separate game packs are coming out this week. See Amazon

Delayed to May according to Tommo. GameStop is saying August.

#50 Blackshear

Blackshear

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Is there controller lag when it's docked? That was one of the things I've heard and would be my biggest holdup to getting something like this.

I've never noticed any controller lag.

Regarding new game cards:

We have just had confirmation that the additional NEOGEO X joysticks and additional NEOGEO X game packs will now be with available in May.

This is a slight delay over the expected release date of April, however, they have assured us this is with good reason regarding the quality and design of the packaging for the games and the production process with the controllers.

We would like to apologise to anyone who has currently pre-ordered either of these items and we will strive to get these to you as soon as possible.

Also, posted on Neo Geo X Facebook last friday:

Hi Everyone!

I know many of you are disappointed about the the delay of the NEOGEO X Game Cards, and for that, the team here at NEOGEO X deeply apologizes.

We are still yet unable to show you guys the cover art for the new game cards but what I CAN tell you that they will not be in cardboard blister packs!

It's nice to know they wont be in blister packs.
Currently playing:
Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, GTA V, GoW: Ascension, Starbound Beta

#51 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

I've never noticed any controller lag.

Regarding new game cards:

Also, posted on Neo Geo X Facebook last friday:

It's nice to know they wont be in blister packs.

I use the NGX controller with PS3 Neo Geo Station games and it seems to work great. I think the replica arcade stick, while not as heavy as some better sticks, isn't bad at all.

Also, way back when they were preparing to release the NGX, I sent Tommo an email suggesting that if they made future games for the system, they should consider using mini clamshell cases, similar to PS Vita retail games, but with AES artwork and screenshots on the inserts. Maybe they're going this route? Would be nice!

#52 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'm a huge NeoGeo fan and I supported this with a release purchase. I have such buyers remorse with it though. I can not get it to work on my tv unless its HDMI (no hdmi on the TV I have available to play it on), lack of save states make regular emulation more desirable to play, and the games released (so far) are all ones I have on multiple formats already (including the original AES.)

I am really hoping they release games like 8-Man, Kinzuna Encounter, and other, lesser known, games. I'd pay a small fortune if they finally get Samurai Shodown RPG ported and translated.

I will admit, I am pleased with the $25 price point for the Classics Volumes though.

KneeKnee.png

#53 Slermy

Slermy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, they should really go for the lesser known titles if possible. I'd be ecstatic if Money Puzzle Exchanger was on one of the cards.

#54 x1Bocephus1x

x1Bocephus1x

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Delayed to May according to Tommo. GameStop is saying August.

Well isnt that special. News to me. Lol

#55 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

I want Neo Mr. Do! ... system seller for me.

#56 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

It's a nice system. Will the system update add save states? That's the only real problem I see when I read about it. Most of the rest of the complaints are either unintelligent or piracy-oriented.

#57 Banana Peel Assassin

Banana Peel Assassin

RIP Arcade Infinity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

...all this talk about NeoGeo AES/MVS...

AES/MVS < NeoGeo Pocket < Atomiswave

...nuff said.

- StayFree( ' 3')

store coming soon (sample: 1 2 3)

12/5

#58 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

...all this talk about NeoGeo AES/MVS...

AES/MVS < NeoGeo Pocket < Atomiswave

...nuff said.

I lol'd so hard at this. Imo Ngpc had a few gems but overall was mediorce. Atomiswave had what like 5 snk game and just over 20 game overall before it got canned. Aes/Mvs has the best games by far.

#59 NewOrder01

NewOrder01

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I want Neo Mr. Do! ... system seller for me.

I second that!

#60 icewolf74

icewolf74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Finally got around to checking out Ninja Masters this morning. It seems pretty cool for a fighting game but I still like Samurai Shodown 2 and Fatal Fury better; although I assumed (and kind of wished) it was a glorious Neo Geo beat 'em up by the name and the cover art for the game. I am totally oblivious to this game as I never heard of it before until the Neogeo X was released. Was this a game that was released in the arcades on the Neo Geo? Or was it made specifically for the Neo Geo X? Was it released on the AES console too? Also, what are other's thoughts on the game? Do you like it? Hate it? Or in-between?