Boston Marathon Bombing - Three dead 175+ injured

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#331 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

Why should our money go towards keeping him alive in a jail cell? They should pursue the death penalty.

#332 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Why should our money go towards keeping him alive in a jail cell? They should pursue the death penalty.

Because death penalty will cost more money than keeping him alive.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#333 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Because death penalty will cost more money than keeping him alive.

How can that be?

#334 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

How can that be?

legal fees.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#335 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I think I even underestimated how useful all those random photos would be, but these dudes completely expected to stay anonymous and get away with what they did. Like, leave a bomb in a crowded area and leave. The younger guy was back on campus and going to parties and sipping on beers just a day after the attack. Had 3 days to leave the goddamn country, or whatever you do. They certainly seemed to have enough money to go wherever they pleased.

Kid sounded pretty normal too. I know it's dumb speculation but nothing about him so far fits with any preconceived portraits. Doesn't even seem that religious.

Ah well. Anyone see that ESPN reporter interview the Knicks player and imply they should have let Boston win because of recent events? Good god.

UjCoyFa.png

#336 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

The Boston Globe is reporting that Russian authorities warned the FBI two years ago about the older brother.

http://www.boston.co...PcOP/story.html

#337 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yea, heard the older brother's citizenship application was on hold cause of it.

#338 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

No death penalty in Massachusetts. :cry:
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#339 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

How can anybody think the death penalty is a "more severe" punishment than potentially spending 60+ years in prison? Killing him is definitely justified, but I'm in the camp that believes that would be letting him off easy. Considering what a scrawny little guy he is, let him be someone's bitch for the next half century. Even if you wanted to argue that the current prison system is "soft", there is no possible way that 60+ years of it could in any way be an enjoyable way to spend your life.

#340 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

How can anybody think the death penalty is a "more severe" punishment than potentially spending 60+ years in prison? Killing him is definitely justified, but I'm in the camp that believes that would be letting him off easy. Considering what a scrawny little guy he is, let him be someone's bitch for the next half century. Even if you wanted to argue that the current prison system is "soft", there is no possible way that 60+ years of it could in any way be an enjoyable way to spend your life.

Even this is doubtful. He'll be segregated and be put in solitary for 23 out of 24 hours a day. This is far worse.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#341 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Even this is doubtful. He'll be segregated and be put in solitary for 23 out of 24 hours a day. This is far worse.

True...he'd most likely just go insane in a year or two. But what an incredibly miserable existence to be destined for before your 21st birthday. I get the "why should we pay to keep him imprisoned?" argument. But if there's anybody a few extra tax dollars is worth ensuring he takes every second to think about how he threw his life away, this would be the guy.

#342 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

True...he'd most likely just go insane in a year or two. But what an incredibly miserable existence to be destined for before your 21st birthday. I get the "why should we pay to keep him imprisoned?" argument. But if there's anybody a few extra tax dollars is worth ensuring he takes every second to think about how he threw his life away, this would be the guy.

Personally, I think it'd be better to try and rehabilitate the kid if possible, and he might damn well not be, but he could be a good spokesperson against whatever it is that pushed him to commit these acts. It's worth the effort to at least try and he IS only 19. While most 19 year olds don't plot to kill people, it's pretty universal that 19 year olds are dumb as shit. I know I was and every 19 year old I know/knew was too.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#343 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Personally, I think it'd be better to try and rehabilitate the kid if possible, and he might damn well not be, but he could be a good spokesperson against whatever it is that pushed him to commit these acts. It's worth the effort to at least try and he IS only 19. While most 19 year olds don't plot to kill people, it's pretty universal that 19 year olds are dumb as shit. I know I was and every 19 year old I know/knew was too.

there's a difference between dumb as shit (I was at 19 too) and planting bombs and killing people. I dont want rehabiliation for this guy at all. I want him to rot in a jail cell until he's 80 and never hear his name again. Thats what he deserves.

#344 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

He has to survive his injuries still.

#345 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

there's a difference between dumb as shit (I was at 19 too) and planting bombs and killing people. I dont want rehabiliation for this guy at all. I want him to rot in a jail cell until he's 80 and never hear his name again. Thats what he deserves.

And what purpose would that serve? This may sound cold coming from me, but if we're paying to keep him incarcerated, the least we can do is try get our money's worth. Having him rot in a cell for 23 hours a day is a waste of resources when at the very least, he could be studied in order to stop other people from repeating the same behaviors.

The fact of the matter is that people change and not always who they were at 19. Ideally, people are incarcerated because they're a danger to the public and the purpose of incarceration is also for rehabilitation; not strictly punishment.

Having knee-jerk emotional reactions is understandable, but it's no place to base policy on. I'd rather have him publicly condemning his own actions in a genuine way than rotting in a cell because some people would feel better and ignore or forget that he exists.
dohdough.png

#346 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

And what purpose would that serve? This may sound cold coming from me, but if we're paying to keep him incarcerated, the least we can do is try get our money's worth. Having him rot in a cell for 23 hours a day is a waste of resources when at the very least, he could be studied in order to stop other people from repeating the same behaviors.

The fact of the matter is that people change and not always who they were at 19. Ideally, people are incarcerated because they're a danger to the public and the purpose of incarceration is also for rehabilitation; not strictly punishment.

Having knee-jerk emotional reactions is understandable, but it's no place to base policy on. I'd rather have him publicly condemning his own actions in a genuine way than rotting in a cell because some people would feel better and ignore or forget that he exists.

I'd rather use resources to have him rot in a cell than "rehabiliate" him. It wont work anyway, there is no coming back for this guy. I'm all for people getting second chances but within reason, and this guy crossed that line.

#347 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

I'd rather use resources to have him rot in a cell than "rehabiliate" him. It wont work anyway, there is no coming back for this guy. I'm all for people getting second chances but within reason, and this guy crossed that line.

How do you know it won't work when we've already established that who someone is at 19 isn't the same person at 20, 21, or even 80?

I'm not even saying that he can or can't be rehabilitated, but that we can't know if we don't try. It's pretty obvious that he'll get more than one life sentence with no possibility of parole, but that doesn't mean he can't contribute to society in a positive and meaningful way even if it doesn't make the things he and his brother did, square. We have to reason our way past our base need for revenge.

edit: Again, this is going towards vs. territory, so I'm going to stop discussing it in this thread.
dohdough.png

#348 Syranth

Syranth

Formerly WormFOODx

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

Let's not forget that he will most likely go to jail in Massachusetts and won't survive long when he gets there anyway. You most likely become a target of at least half the jail.

#349 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

How do you know it won't work when we've already established that who someone is at 19 isn't the same person at 20, 21, or even 80?

I'm not even saying that he can or can't be rehabilitated, but that we can't know if we don't try. It's pretty obvious that he'll get more than one life sentence with no possibility of parole, but that doesn't mean he can't contribute to society in a positive and meaningful way even if it doesn't make the things he and his brother did, square. We have to reason our way past our base need for revenge.

edit: Again, this is going towards vs. territory, so I'm going to stop discussing it in this thread.

It's a nice thought...but it's also something he'd have to earn, and it's not going to happen overnight either. Really, I don't even think it's something the judge/jury needs to be thinking about. Give him the sentence he deserves. Then, if he wants to show remorse for 30 years and talk openly about the mistakes he made, that's his business...and would show legitimate regret. It's not something anyone is going to talk him into. Charles Manson has had that same opportunity, and look where it's gotten him.

#350 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

It's a nice thought...but it's also something he'd have to earn, and it's not going to happen overnight either. Really, I don't even think it's something the judge/jury needs to be thinking about. Give him the sentence he deserves. Then, if he wants to show remorse for 30 years and talk openly about the mistakes he made, that's his business...and would show legitimate regret. It's not something anyone is going to talk him into. Charles Manson has had that same opportunity, and look where it's gotten him.

I'm going to go back on my word about not commenting, but I completely agree on all your points. If he can't be rehabilitated, then he can't and that's that.
dohdough.png

#351 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

Charles Manson has had that same opportunity, and look where it's gotten him.

Manson wasn't a kid when he did his deeds.

I read that that this guy tried to kill himself when the cops rolled in, shot his throat and that's why he is not talking.

http://www.mirror.co...ev-shot-1846537

aside for the the people who actually suffered from the events, I'll be glad to not hear about it for a while. I really don't care that you ran the Boston Marathon once or were in New England when it happened. This whole "getting in on the tragedy" was really taken to a new level with this.

#352 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

- Noted expert on criminal psychology, "Guy On Internet"

Posted Image

#353 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Life in prison and the idea of him going batshit crazy sounds far better to me than giving him what he wants.....death so he can meet Allah and his virgins. :roll:

I'm moderate-right and normally i'd be pro-death penalty......but life is prison is far worse than death row.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#354 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Can a mod clear this brain-rot out since this isn't Vs.?

There was someone arrested, stripped, then released after questioning who wasn't the older brother but looked similar near the location of the shoot out. There are pictures of the two brothers engaging in the shoot out with other police. There are pictures of the older one walking closer to the police. The police shot him and were trying to handcuff him to take him into custody when the younger brother got into the SUV and drove straight at the cops on top of his brother. Well the cops jumped out of the way but his brother who was shot and restrained couldn't jump out of the way, so he was run over. They transported him to a hospital to try to save him. The doctors tried to perform thoracic surgery since he had multiple gunshot wounds and needed his heart massaged. That's why he's got the giant gash in his side in the leaked photo.

I don't know how you can claim anything based on those pictures of the Naked Man arrest. Those things are blurrier than the security cam pictures initially released of the suspect. They're blurrier than the shittiest cell phone camera pictures. The only real feature you can make out is the hairline. You can't even make out the whole face profile or try to analyze the noses because the picture distorts right there in the middle of naked man's face. You're grasping at straws.

The cops arrested the wrong guy and let him go. Meanwhile the Brothers Dipshit engaged police in a shootout, and that's where the older one was shot and run over, and there are photos documenting it.

#355 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

wow I'm regretful I even responded to the conspiracy theory in the first place.

Can we get back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#356 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Apparently they found the body of the student that went missing in March then got mistakenly attached to the bombings through shoddy internet vigilantism. They're suggesting his cause of death was not foul play which is sadly the high point of the story.