2 Explosions at Boston Marathon

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#421 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

This Man Tells A Senate Subcommittee About Al-Qaeda's Best Recruiting Technique. It Will Shock You.

"What radicals had previously failed to achieve in my village, one drone strike accomplished in an instant."

If this testimony doesn't move you and doesn't create pause in your irrational racist and xenophobic conjecture, you likely have no soul and/or are conservative.

Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell

#422 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yes that is my gaffe.

I didn't mean to suggest that there is a country out there that unilaterally recognizes that tactic as a means of warfare it whole heartily supports. Except maybe in the instance of the war in Vietnam...

However some countries don't have a single recognized central government and these tactics are being used and supported by groups that at least represent a marginal amount of political influence and power.

^Pure unadulterated racist xenophobia.

:whee:YOUR OWN HISTORY \\:D/
Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell

#423 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

You are quite an obnoxious person.

I'm not sure you have any idea of what you are talking about.

It is almost as if you are just googling US terrorism and posting whatever you can dig up with no context or reference.

For one, "we are killing 3,000 children a day with sanctions even our allies oppose"

Oh, the saviors Russia and China! The champions of human rights and salvation of the people!

Hahahahaha.

They don't even treat their own people right. Not to mention their motives for being against sanctions aren't based on their heart of gold.

Really, the list I posted earlier was just a cut and paste from googling US Terrorism. If you have kids, I pray that you aren't the one to review their papers. Did you even bother to google those terms to find the list I posted? No, likely because you don't know how to use Google but heard Lim-baaaa mention it.

OMG, just realized what a clusterfuck your thought process is. You are thinking I'm talking about the Iran sanctions going on now. Wow, you have ZERO knowledge of recent history. Wow. Or else you would know I'm talking about IRAQ! I gave enough clues in their for anyone to know or even to Google it (which not so sure you know what it is). Man, how does it feel to be this ignorant? Really, inquiring minds want to know. Maybe you need to read up on... DRUMROLL PLEASE...

Spoiler
\\:D/
Posted Image

#424 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

This Man Tells A Senate Subcommittee About Al-Qaeda's Best Recruiting Technique. It Will Shock You.

"What radicals had previously failed to achieve in my village, one drone strike accomplished in an instant."

If this testimony doesn't move you and doesn't create pause in your irrational racist and xenophobic conjecture, you likely have no soul and/or are conservative.

I saw that the other day. Heartbreaking to hear about the indistinguishable remains of people being buried with their dead animals. Really sick. Great spokesperson for the anti-drone folks.

I don't know anyone personally who has had a drone hovering overhead, but I do know people from some of these villages and regions, and it scares me that much more to think that innocents friends and associates could be killed by a US drone, because they happened to live in the same village as a guy American politicians really don't like.

#425 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Really, the list I posted earlier was just a cut and paste from googling US Terrorism. If you have kids, I pray that you aren't the one to review their papers. Did you even bother to google those terms to find the list I posted? No, likely because you don't know how to use Google but heard Lim-baaaa mention it.

OMG, just realized what a clusterfuck your thought process is. You are thinking I'm talking about the Iran sanctions going on now. Wow, you have ZERO knowledge of recent history. Wow. Or else you would know I'm talking about IRAQ! I gave enough clues in their for anyone to know or even to Google it (which not so sure you know what it is). Man, how does it feel to be this ignorant? Really, inquiring minds want to know. Maybe you need to read up on... DRUMROLL PLEASE...

My post was directed towards current sanctions in Iran yes. I brought it up because you brought up the gracious countries who won't back such sanctions by such an evil country.

Newsflash, they do it solely for their own benefit, like every other country they are out there to protect their own ass. That is not to say what they do is right, but when you have multiple countries, you are bound to have conflicting interests, which cause GASP!, CONFLICT.

I think you need a lesson in what the world is actually like instead of digging up out of context dirt on one country.

Spoiler

#426 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm a little curious to hear what resources people are using to get educated on international affairs, foreign policy, and similar topics. I feel like perhaps 1-2 sources are being used, and a wider variety may really help educate folks on the topic.

Maybe we could start a reading list, and people with various views can add some books with the goal of getting people a more complete view of the world?

I'll start:
People's History of the United States-Howard Zinn
The Iron Wall-Avi Shlaim
War and Peace in the Middle East-Avi Shlaim
Diplomacy on the Jordan:International Conflict and Negotiated Resolution-Munther Haddadin (and I'll readily admit I'm tooting my own horn here, as I'm thanked in the acknowledgments of this book) ((which makes it even more amusing when less educated posters claim I know nothing of middle eastern politics, policies, and conflicts))
A Purity of Arms: An American in the Israeli Army-Aaron Wolf (again, full disclosure, I studied under this professor, and between he (an American-born Jew) and Munther Haddadin and arab orthodox Christian), they are two of the smartest people I have ever come into contact with in my life-Dr. Wolf's sister, Naomi, is a popular feminist author)
Palestine: Peace not Apartheid-Jimmy Carter

#427 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Most of what I know is from TV and Twitter. I can't remember all this stuff anyway, so I don't think reading a lot of books would help much.

I am really interested in watching / reading Dirty Wars, though.

#428 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Most of what I know is from TV and Twitter. I can't remember all this stuff anyway, so I don't think reading a lot of books would help much.

I am really interested in watching / reading Dirty Wars, though.

I'm not picking on you specifically, so I don't mean it like that, but it's incredible that for issues as complex as these, 140 character statements could be used as an educational tool.

I dunno, maybe that's the new way people are learning about things, but the depth, the sources, the peer review you get from an in-print book, so far exceeds what you can get through digested big media or Twitter. I truly wonder if that's why it seems like people have access to more information than ever before, but know less, than ever before.

Again, not trying to make it an accusation on you at all, just amazed that these are the places people are getting news on complicated issues.

#429 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well, I mostly follow journalists and reporters on my Twitter account. So I read their articles and listen to their daily musings.

#430 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'm not picking on you specifically, so I don't mean it like that, but it's incredible that for issues as complex as these, 140 character statements could be used as an educational tool.

I dunno, maybe that's the new way people are learning about things, but the depth, the sources, the peer review you get from an in-print book, so far exceeds what you can get through digested big media or Twitter. I truly wonder if that's why it seems like people have access to more information than ever before, but know less, than ever before.

Again, not trying to make it an accusation on you at all, just amazed that these are the places people are getting news on complicated issues.

Yeah, you're right about these new information sources. I think ID2006 is using it for article links so that is a good use of Twitter. I read a lot of articles but plug in books here and there. Not as much as I used to. I think that this new media has big minuses. They should complement scholarly in-depth analysis which is offered by books.

I heard Norman Finkelstein talk a couple months ago and he was bemoaning this too. He was talking about how in the past, after a lecture people came up to him afterwards. They would usually say, I've read this and that book of yours... Now, they say, I've watched this and that lecture of you on youtube but they haven't read his books! I think a big problem that we have and as indicated by the posts here is that a person can watch an hour lecture and believe that they are more knowledgeable than a person who reads a 300 page book on the subject. What does that say about our understandings of our own capacities and overstating them?
Posted Image

#431 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

My post was directed towards current sanctions in Iran yes. I brought it up because you brought up the gracious countries who won't back such sanctions by such an evil country.

Newsflash, they do it solely for their own benefit, like every other country they are out there to protect their own ass. That is not to say what they do is right, but when you have multiple countries, you are bound to have conflicting interests, which cause GASP!, CONFLICT.

I think you need a lesson in what the world is actually like instead of digging up out of context dirt on one country.

Spoiler

First, this was my quote:

Does an anchor force UN sanctions (which even its allies oppose) that MURDER 3000 children (only counting age 5 and under) a month for 10 years?

I even gave you this which if you Googled would tell you what it was in reference to:

"We think the price is worth it."

That was Clinton's Sec of State Madelaine Albright answering Leslie Stahl on 60 Minutes on the impact of US-imposed sanctions on innocent Iraqi children 5 years and under.

You never gave me an answer to this by the way...

Here's some math: 3000x12x10 Figure that out and let me know how many lives that is.

So all that led you to think for dog knows what reason that it was Iran...

For one, "we are killing 3,000 children a day with sanctions even our allies oppose"

Between 2006 and 2010, America got the UN Security Council to adopt six resolutions authorizing multilateral sanctions against Iran - also with limited impact, because China and Russia refused to allow any resolution to pass that would have harmed their interests in Iran

Oh, the saviors Russia and China! The champions of human rights and salvation of the people!

Hahahahaha.

They don't even treat their own people right. Not to mention their motives for being against sanctions aren't based on their heart of gold.

I know it's hard, just admit you did not know I was talking about Iraq even though I gave you numerous clues like "We think the price is worth it.", etc and mistook it for Iran which has nothing to do with 3000 children under the age of 5 murdered a month. Sad thing is that's YOUR OWN history. Instead of focusing on other's, first focus on yourself. Didn't your parents, priest, whoever teach you that? Why would anyone practically focus on someone else rather than themselves? Only reason I can think of is to obfuscate and deflect from someone's own crimes. YOUR OWN country is the one you can effect change in the most (at least I hope so). So, if it's doing wrong, that's who you start with. And boy, do we have a lot of things we can work on before we start talking hypocritically about others.
Posted Image

#432 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well, lookout white people. Plan on getting tackled as you run away from explosions injured now. That'll happen, right?:

http://news.yahoo.co...-163339217.html

"Buford Rogers, 24, of Montevideo, was arrested Friday..."

#433 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well, lookout white people. Plan on getting tackled as you run away from explosions injured now. That'll happen, right?:

http://news.yahoo.co...-163339217.html

"Buford Rogers, 24, of Montevideo, was arrested Friday..."

Big time criminal!

"We had information which indicated that Mr. Rogers was involved in a plot to conduct terror activities in and around the Montevideo area," he said.

Montevideo, MN: Population 5,383.

92% white.

Who the Fuck was he trying to terrorize "in and around the Montevideo area".

#434 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Big time criminal!

92% white.

Let's not forget about the first post 9/11 terrorist conviction... William Krar! That's his MOOZ-LUM name! Yes, covered so well by the MSM.
http://www.splcenter...-american-style
Hey, hold on a sec here... let me find it... OK, here we go...

Edited by joeboosauce, 06 May 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Posted Image

#435 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Big time criminal!

92% white.

Wait, so the racial composition of a community is what helps classify things as terrorism, along with the number of people impacted? I guess that means any time a crime takes place around Montevideo, they should start pulling over all white people, and detain "suspicious looking" white people.

#436 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

Seriously? I was making a point about the "allies" not wanting to put sanctions on countries you twit.

You pointed out how the US "forced" certain countries to push these sanctions on Iraq.

I pointed out how those countries have their own reasons (which you would not qualify as good reasons if it were the US) for not wanting to place sanctions by pointing out a current event such as the Iran sanctions.

It is called reading comprehension.

Try to follow along.

Knowing the world's history will tell you that the world is a dangerous, and that things aren't as clean cut as you think they are. Manipulation, meddling, and diplomatic sabetoge are common place. If you knew your world history you would then be able to place certain events within context instead of placing US policy in a vaccum and critiquing it. Once again, if you didn't understand the first time, that is not to say the US has not made mistakes or has not wrong people, but it is a lot more complex than you make it out to be.

#437 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

So, here's some of the "why" behind the bombing.

Boston suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev 'left note in boat'
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22563155
"When you attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims."
Could be talking about all that US foreign policy stuff...

Blowback is a bitch. And before our conservative friends get their panties in a bunch and want to get on their Jump to Conclusions mat (Office Space reference), here is a good explanation of this CIA term courtesy of Wikipedia.

Blowback is unintended consequences of a covert operation that are suffered by the civil population of the aggressor government. To the civilians suffering the blowback of covert operations, the effect typically manifests itself as “random” acts of political violence without a discernible, direct cause; because the public—in whose name the intelligence agency acted—are ignorant of the effected secret attacks that provoked revenge (counter-attack) against them.

THE book on the topic:
Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire
Free excerpts from Blowback.

Great point made in discussion. How Americans felt about the Boston bombing, that's how people who are attacked by the US military feel. And imagine the Boston thing happening everyday. THAT'S the reality of others.

Edited by joeboosauce, 17 May 2013 - 06:21 PM.

Posted Image

#438 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Seriously? I was making a point about the "allies" not wanting to put sanctions on countries you twit.

You pointed out how the US "forced" certain countries to push these sanctions on Iraq.

I pointed out how those countries have their own reasons (which you would not qualify as good reasons if it were the US) for not wanting to place sanctions by pointing out a current event such as the Iran sanctions.

It is called reading comprehension.

Try to follow along.

Knowing the world's history will tell you that the world is a dangerous, and that things aren't as clean cut as you think they are. Manipulation, meddling, and diplomatic sabetoge are common place. If you knew your world history you would then be able to place certain events within context instead of placing US policy in a vaccum and critiquing it. Once again, if you didn't understand the first time, that is not to say the US has not made mistakes or has not wrong people, but it is a lot more complex than you make it out to be.

Loser. Just quite making excuses and admit you're wrong. It's clearly in your post. Apply reading comprehension to, here we go again...
:whee:YOUR OWN POST \\:D/

So, don't bother responding unless you understand your own dog-damned posts.

#439 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Great point made in discussion. How Americans felt about the Boston bombing, that's how people who are attacked by the US military feel. And imagine the Boston thing happening everyday. THAT'S the reality of others.

This right here shows you are so blatently ignorant. It's not even worth discussing anymore, you are just one crazy Fuck.

#440 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

No, what he said was pretty spot on.

Now, if only we could get some folks in office that would stop bombing other countries because the sky is blue today.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#441 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

No, what he said was pretty spot on.

Now, if only we could get some folks in office that would stop bombing other countries because the sky is blue today.

Agreed. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding the concept of collateral damage and the retaliation it begets.

PaulManda.png

#442 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

We should get out today. Put everybody on a plane and bring them home. It's enough.

Of course, that will cause widespread chaos both domestically and internationally that we are not at all willing to face.

#443 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Agreed. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding the concept of collateral damage and the retaliation it begets.

People don't like to admit that their side does anything wrong. Since it's our government, admitting we've killed a bunch of innocents would require people to take responsibility for their government. As long as stuff like this happens a world away to people that many of us don't even like, nobody really has a problem with it. When it happens here at home, people get all pissed off and act like we (as a whole) did nothing to provoke it. I wonder how many innocent people we've killed for every 1 life that was lost in the Boston bombing? Hell, just count the drone bombings alone.

Those people killed in Boston didn't deserve to die, but there are a whole lot of people we've killed who also didn't deserve it, and if we continue it's only going to make people more angry, and more likely to strike back at us. We've got to stop acting like American lives are worth more than any other.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#444 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

People don't like to admit that their side does anything wrong. Since it's our government, admitting we've killed a bunch of innocents would require people to take responsibility for their government. As long as stuff like this happens a world away to people that many of us don't even like, nobody really has a problem with it. When it happens here at home, people get all pissed off and act like we (as a whole) did nothing to provoke it. I wonder how many innocent people we've killed for every 1 life that was lost in the Boston bombing? Hell, just count the drone bombings alone.

Those people killed in Boston didn't deserve to die, but there are a whole lot of people we've killed who also didn't deserve it, and if we continue it's only going to make people more angry, and more likely to strike back at us. We've got to stop acting like American lives are worth more than any other.

It is almost as if you are sympathizing with the guy, and it is pathetic.

It is not about whether our government is right or wrong. It is about having zero tolerance for criminal acts against our people. Regardless of whether or not we are at fault directly, indirectly, or not at all. As a country we should not be saying "blowbacks a bitch". Which is why he is an ignorant fucker.

You want to try and prevent another Boston Bombing with your theories on why it is happening? Go right ahead. But this case is closed, the fuckers got (and will get) what is coming to them, and they will rot in hell. The only blame to be issued is on THEM.

Edited by Knoell, 18 May 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#445 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

To greatly overslimplify... I could walk up to a complete and total stranger and say "Your mother is a whore." - and that stranger may punch me right in the face. That reaction would be uncalled for and illegal, no doubt.

But, that doesn't mean that *I* couldn't learn a lesson about approaching strangers and calling their mothers whores.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#446 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

there are a whole lot of people we've killed who also didn't deserve it

The vehement denial that there is, was, or ever could be any potential truth to the above statement is a cornerstone of the conservative mindset when it comes to global capitalism and foreign policy.

See the armchair generals when it comes to the response to the Benghazi attacks.
Posted Image

#447 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

This isn't a derp contest Knoell. No need to crank it up to 11.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#448 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

To greatly overslimplify... I could walk up to a complete and total stranger and say "Your mother is a whore." - and that stranger may punch me right in the face. That reaction would be uncalled for and illegal, no doubt.

But, that doesn't mean that *I* couldn't learn a lesson about approaching strangers and calling their mothers whores.

I can see what you are saying and you are blatently wrong.

People commonly overuse and misuse the blowback term. Think about it.

Let's say the guy that shot up the CT school said "I did it because of iraq and afghanistan".

Is that really considered blowback?

The people in this forum have no grasp of foreign policy and diplomacy. They lower it to the lowest common denominator and compare death to death.

I will say one more time, this doesn't mean that the US is always right. The US certainly needs more oversight when conducting operations overseas. The statements about these things is not what bothers me, what bothers me is the ridiculous statements that get paired with them.

#449 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

I can see what you are saying and you are blatently wrong.

People commonly overuse and misuse the blowback term. Think about it.

Let's say the guy that shot up the CT school said "I did it because of iraq and afghanistan".

The people in this forum have no grasp of foreign policy and diplomacy. They lower it to the lowest common denominator and compare death to death.

I will say one more time, this doesn't mean that the US is always right. The US certainly needs more oversight when conducting operations overseas. The statements about these things is not what bothers me, what bothers me is the ridiculous statements that get paired with them.

I think Bob made a great analogy actually...but how did I miss your gem, stating the people in this forum have no grasp of foreign policy? Holy hell man...You do realize that you're one of the greatest offenders of not knowing shit, and repeating your lack of knowledge with pride, like somehow that makes it an educated opinion or fact...right? Explain to the good people how you have acquired this immense knowledge and education on foreign policy. Heck, since we have been bringing Iraq and Afghanistan into it, how bout your credentials as a person of knowledge for the Middle East and North Africa?

Entertain us.

Edited by berzirk, 05 June 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#450 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

The people in this forum have no grasp of foreign policy and diplomacy. 

Haha! The baseless arrogance and total ignorance displayed above by Noel summons another...

Stupid ignorant Fuck. Go across the world and kill some babies for your "our gov't is not always right". Yup, 3000x12x10 5- year olds. How many times is that "not always right"?

Edited by joeboosauce, 05 June 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Posted Image