$6 Ip Man 2(DVD) @ Target/AMZ $12 Blu @ AMZ

[quote name='Vigilante'] The sequel is a huge propaganda movie, though (the first one, not as much).[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen either one, but how did they make the second one a propaganda film?

[quote name='seether254']I haven't seen either one, but how did they make the second one a propaganda film?[/QUOTE]

No more than the usual British are evil propaganda that movies from Hong Kong usually have, so as long as you're used to that it's fine. The first one basically did the same thing except with the Japanese, but not to the extent of how they depicted the British in the second, but like I said, if you're used to Hong Kong films, you won't be terribly surprised.

First one was definitely better in comparison to the second though, so if anything start there for sure. Third installment will be incoming in the near future, and that one will deal mainly with Ip Man and Bruce Lee, so that might be fun.

[quote name='Squarehard']No more than the usual British are evil propaganda that movies from Hong Kong usually have, so as long as you're used to that it's fine. The first one basically did the same thing except with the Japanese, but not to the extent of how they depicted the British in the second, but like I said, if you're used to Hong Kong films, you won't be terribly surprised.

First one was definitely better in comparison to the second though, so if anything start there for sure. Third installment will be incoming in the near future, and that one will deal mainly with Ip Man and Bruce Lee, so that might be fun.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect though? At those points in history, the British and Japanese were colonizers of the Chinese. This is like if a black director made a movie about American slavery and somebody complained that it was propaganda that made white people look evil. Even if the intent existed, nobody should be that surprised.

[quote name='rapsodist']What do you expect though? At those points in history, the British and Japanese were colonizers of the Chinese. This is like if a black director made a movie about American slavery and somebody complained that it was propaganda that made white people look evil. Even if the intent existed, nobody should be that surprised.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really picking a side in all of this, but really just stating that's how Hong Kong films are and have been in the past two plus decades I've been watching them. I don't really think we have to bring politics into this to be honest. The guy asked about what Vigi meant by propaganda, I explained what he meant, and that's that. Don't really think we need to bring this conversation any further than that. In short, it's a movie, so don't read too much into anything into it.

The first one is awesome, the second one is sub par, but still fun, it just wasn't different enough from the first.

I have no clue what the hell the rest of you have watched.

[quote name='Squarehard']I'm not really picking a side in all of this, but really just stating that's how Hong Kong films are and have been in the past two plus decades I've been watching them. I don't really think we have to bring politics into this to be honest. The guy asked about what Vigi meant by propaganda, I explained what he meant, and that's that. Don't really think we need to bring this conversation any further than that. In short, it's a movie, so don't read too much into anything into it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I came off as attacking you; I didn't mean it to be personally directed at you, though I realize that quoting you made it that way. I was just trying to state that anybody who knows their history wouldn't be surprised that the aforementioned politics is something that continues to remain centered in the consciousness of Hong Kong/Chinese people. In the same way that much of Russian film is informed by the Chernobyl disaster, and much of Japanese film is informed by the Hiroshima bombing, Hong Kong/Chinese film is very much informed by British colonization and Japanese occupation.

[quote name='rapsodist']Sorry if I came off as attacking you; I didn't mean it to be personally directed at you, though I realize that quoting you made it that way. I was just trying to state that anybody who knows their history wouldn't be surprised that the aforementioned politics is something that continues to remain centered in the consciousness of Hong Kong/Chinese people. In the same way that much of Russian film is informed by the Chernobyl disaster, and much of Japanese film is informed by the Hiroshima bombing, Hong Kong/Chinese film is very much informed by British colonization and Japanese occupation.[/QUOTE]

No worries, I kind of had a feeling that's how you meant it, but as you've said the quoting threw me off. ;D

These are awesome movies and worth owning, especially if you like martial arts action. I heard the 3rd one was pretty bad, though.

bread's done
Back