Earthbound Out Now on the Wii U Virtual Console

foltzie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GBAstar']Does this mean the price of earthbound copies will level off?[/QUOTE]

Might see some correction, but given the nature of that fan base they may well still like to hold a physical copy and keep the numbers high.

Especially for the complete package.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']And it's not coming to regular Wii Virtual Console, why? :([/QUOTE]

Because they want you to buy a $300 system.

Good marketing.

[quote name='KingBroly']Because they want you to buy a $300 system.[/QUOTE]
Yeah... no. This is only a system seller for an extremely tiny group of vocal internet diehards. Would have happily paid $9 for a Wii VC version though!

[quote name='GBAstar']Does this mean the price of earthbound copies will level off?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it... If anything it may get a slight temporary increase as a result of the excitement.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah... no. This is only a system seller for an extremely tiny group of vocal internet diehards. Would have happily paid $9 for a Wii VC version though![/QUOTE]

It's a seller for me. I'm still waiting for a price drop though. Now I need my thread reopened...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']And it's not coming to regular Wii Virtual Console, why? :([/QUOTE]

lol exactly what I was wondering. I will get a wiiU eventually and this game on it but I've waited this long for the game to be rereleased so I can wait for more wiiu price drops.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah... no. This is only a system seller for an extremely tiny group of vocal internet diehards. Would have happily paid $9 for a Wii VC version though![/QUOTE]

It's not like a digital copy of the game is that hard to come by.

Sweet mother of god...

[quote name='KillerRamen']I doubt it... If anything it may get a slight temporary increase as a result of the excitement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... this part is gonna suck since I still want a complete in box original copy. SNES games have been climbing like crazy lately and these re-releases usually result in increases rather than declines in value.

However I have to credit the internet diehards' miiverse campaign (and nintendo for listening) and hope they get Nintendo to put out more stuff

[quote name='moothemagiccow']However I have to credit the internet diehards' miiverse campaign (and nintendo for listening) and hope they get Nintendo to put out more stuff[/QUOTE]

Miiverse get cracking on Mother and Mother 3!

Great news! I still have my SNES copy that I pop in every now and then, but I'm happy to have a version to play on the gamepad, and to recommend to more gamers.

[quote name='foltzie']Miiverse get cracking on Mother and Mother 3![/QUOTE]

Yes, please!

Great news, but to claim that a port of an 18 year old game which will likely be edited substantially for copyright reasons, is enough to compell you to purchase a $300 console you would otherwise have no interest in, is downright silly.

[quote name='spmahn']Great news, but to claim that a port of an 18 year old game which will likely be edited substantially for copyright reasons, is enough to compell you to purchase a $300 console you would otherwise have no interest in, is downright silly.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much, if anything, will be edited. Years back, a CAG explained to me why Earthbound would never be re-released in its original form due to copy right issues. As it stands, parts of Earthbound were changed when it was localized, due to copyrights.

TBH, I don't care though... I'm just happy the game will get another shot in the west.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Did they come out and say that it is NOT going to be on the Wii Virtual console?!? Or is this just speculation?[/QUOTE]
They neither C or D'ed it for Wii VC, though I'm guessing if they do decided to do dual release, they would still put the focus on the Wii U VC version.

And I think there is still a fair bit of coding / emulation difference, especially for Off TV play, that they will probably use that as a justification to not have it on the Wii.

Personally I think it would be fitting to have it be the last great Wii VC game to come out, but I don't think that'll be the case. Still saving 800-1000 Wii shop points for it just in case...

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']They neither C or D'ed it for Wii VC, though I'm guessing if they do decided to do dual release, they would still put the focus on the Wii U VC version.

And I think there is still a fair bit of coding / emulation difference, especially for Off TV play, that they will probably use that as a justification to not have it on the Wii.

Personally I think it would be fitting to have it be the last great Wii VC game to come out, but I don't think that'll be the case. Still saving 800-1000 Wii shop points for it just in case...[/QUOTE]

I agree. I really hope Nintendo still supports the Wii Virtual Console for a bit more...and Earthbound would certainly be an excellent final game for it. DO IT NINTENDO!!!!!

Great news, I'll definitely get it once I eventually pick up a WiiU. It's not enough to make me buy the system at its current price point though.

I don't expect much of a drop in physical prices. That would only happen if there was a sudden flood of copies available, or an extremem drop off in interest. I don't think a VC release is going to add significant numbers to either of those categories.

Hopefully nintendo offers a PDF of the players guide since it was bundled with the game when it came out. Correct if I'm wrong but isn't the guide needed to better play earthbound?

[quote name='rocky435']Hopefully nintendo offers a PDF of the players guide since it was bundled with the game when it came out. Correct if I'm wrong but isn't the guide needed to better play earthbound?[/QUOTE]

As with most games, it's helpful, but certainly not necessary.

[quote name='rocky435']Hopefully nintendo offers a PDF of the players guide since it was bundled with the game when it came out. Correct if I'm wrong but isn't the guide needed to better play earthbound?[/QUOTE]

Not really. If you never explore dungeons and just rush to the boss you'll miss a lot of items but you can always backtrack... that's all the guide really has, maps.

Doubt it, the reason Earthbound sells for so high is because no one bought it back then so it's very rare.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']As with most games, it's helpful, but certainly not necessary.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit, if that guide never taught me how to pray, I'd still be kicking giygas' ass with no results.

[quote name='Just-Joe']Doubt it, the reason Earthbound sells for so high is because no one bought it back then so it's very rare.[/QUOTE]

Just because no one bought doesn't mean it wasn't produced in numbers similar to other SNES games in that era. Sure, it never had a reprint or re-release as a Players Choice title like others did, but the game is hardly rare, it just has high demand relative to the number of copies available.

I'm not the most familiar with this topic but is the Wii U and 3DS shops the same?

I'm guessing not but I hope it is. I want to buy the game but don't have a Wii U.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not the most familiar with this topic but is the Wii U and 3DS shops the same?

I'm guessing not but I hope it is. I want to buy the game but don't have a Wii U.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I'm wishing I could get it on my 3DS as I have no Wii U and won't until I find something compelling for myself on it. I'm hoping they don't say "Well, this tanked in sales. We're definitely not going to release Mother 3 in NA because of poor Earthbound sales." if they decide to keep it confined to Wii U.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not the most familiar with this topic but is the Wii U and 3DS shops the same?

I'm guessing not but I hope it is. I want to buy the game but don't have a Wii U.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but they aren't.

Figures. Nintendo really needs to get their shit together... it sucks that their stores aren't cross compatible (versus PSN, where I can play PS1 games on my PS3 or PSP). I can understand some games only working on the Wii U or 3DS (due to technical requirements & differences) but it's just baffling to me that I can't play SNES games on my 3DS or GB games on my Wii U.

Oh well... maybe they'll introduce the option to buy digital games at retail locations, like GAME does in the UK. Ah... who am I kidding.

This is the problem with buying rare video games, the IP owner can remake it whenever they want and charge $10 for it. I predict the physical SNES game price to fall hard.

This is the problem with buying rare video games, the IP owner can remake it whenever they want and charge $10 for it. I predict the physical SNES game price to fall hard.
Agreed, I've never bought an older rare game without the understanding that a remake or re-release will drop the price some.

I have no evidence to cite, but I did think that other re-releases didnt drop the price of the original title much unless it was a new printing on the same system.

What I don't get is that people have been clambering for this for DECADES and BEGGING Nintendo to release it. They finally do and there's no marketing or anything. Why the hell didn't they mention at E3 that it would be released in July? Is Nintendo that out of touch with their fans in the US?

What I don't get is that people have been clambering for this for DECADES and BEGGING Nintendo to release it. They finally do and there's no marketing or anything. Why the hell didn't they mention at E3 that it would be released in July? Is Nintendo that out of touch with their fans in the US?
I'm not certain what kind of marketing you do for a digital title release of this nature. They originally announced a late 2013 release, so I dont know if testing for the Wii U VC is going faster than expected, or what.

The Nintendo Direct has received coverage on all of the game websites. Gaf has blown up for it, I assume it will be featured on the Wii U eshop itself. I dont know if Nintendo has anything at its Comi-con booth, though they should.

Now in Japan they have been doing some billboard advertising, ect.

On a side note, I dont think Nintendo has any titles in the pipeline that are knock out system sellers the way Wii Sports was for the Wii U, but Im curious what happens if they ship a ton of niche titles. A Pikmin fan is not necessarily an Earthbound fan and so forth.

Pipe dream for sure, but I was holding out hope that they had a Wii VC release planned to go along with the Wii U version.  It would be redundant for Wii U owners, but there are about 10 x (if not 20 x) more Wiis out there, and owners would gladly pay $10 without having to buy a new system.

I don't think anyone rushed out to get a Wii U for Earthbound alone, no idea how making it exclusive would help their cause (coding differences aside, which can't be that much for a ROM port).

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not, the universe of Wii U owners is miniscule at best, and the supply of physical copies of the original is limited. This will have zero effect on second market value, and if anything might cause an increase.

Pipe dream for sure, but I was holding out hope that they had a Wii VC release planned to go along with the Wii U version. It would be redundant for Wii U owners, but there are about 10 x (if not 20 x) more Wiis out there, and owners would gladly pay $10 without having to buy a new system.

I don't think anyone rushed out to get a Wii U for Earthbound alone, no idea how making it exclusive would help their cause (coding differences aside, which can't be that much for a ROM port).
I agree, but its clear Nintendo is not so coyly using this as a way to push more Wii U sales. The strategy guide is a nice addition that would only work right on the Wii U.

Should have redeemed my Fire Emblem/SMT 30 credit on the WiiU shop...

Oh well. I don't mind spending 10 bucks on a game I've never had the pleasure of playing before.

I agree, but its clear Nintendo is not so coyly using this as a way to push more Wii U sales. The strategy guide is a nice addition that would only work right on the Wii U.
Yeah, it sucks that it's Wii U only. I would definitely buy this on the Wii VC.

bread's done
Back