142 replies to this topic

#1 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks

"90% of the public? Get back to me when it's 99%."

Edit: I know it was watered down garbage, but it's still amusing that they can't get something so basic through the Senate, even.

#2 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

It easier to buy a gun, then go the your local city to get a protest/assembly permit.....LOL

Apparently the gov't have no problem taking away the other amendments, but guns are sacred...lol

#3 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

I was going to say inb4 lefty gun haters, but too late.

Glad this failed. Now just gotta kill Feinstein's trash bill.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#4 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks

"90% of the public? Get back to me when it's 99%."

Edit: I know it was watered down garbage, but it's still amusing that they can't get something so basic through the Senate, even.

So if 90% of the public wanted to re institute slavery, then you would be cool with it? The point of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is to protect individuals from the majority.....now if you tell me that a majority of the populace wants Obamacare repealed;).....

#5 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

So if 90% of the public wanted to re institute slavery, then you would be cool with it? The point of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is to protect individuals from the majority.....now if you tell me that a majority of the populace wants Obamacare repealed;).....

110% agreed
Currently playing:

#6 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yeah...public support of background checks for gun purchases is equivalent to public support of slavery. Gun control...slavery...same fucking thing, amirite?:roll:
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#7 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

So why should we have background checks at all on anything then?
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#8 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Nice to see a bit of good news during a week of nothing but terrible news.

#9 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

So why should we have background checks at all on anything then?

Duh, that's the point, we shouldn't! Not on a damn thing! You want that RPG? Well mah friend, that's your right as a "Merican. After all, you never know when Obama Hitler is going to come knocking your door down, robbing you blind, and killing your family!
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#10 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Yeah...public support of background checks for gun purchases is equivalent to public support of slavery. Gun control...slavery...same fucking thing, amirite?:roll:

You clearly didn't make the connection. 8-)
Currently playing:

#11 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

You clearly didn't make the connection. 8-)

not it's just a dumb connection. (Hint- one is real, one is pretend. One is a clear moral, ethical and constitutional violation and the other simply makes it harder for gun manufacturers to make a few bucks)

#12 bear489

bear489

Give me them tags!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

I'm sorry but can someone please explain what this bill would have done? The last time I bought a shotgun at a gun show I still had to have a background check. When I bought a handgun online it had to be shipped to a FFL dealer who had to run a background check on me before releasing the gun to me. I don't get why not try to enforce what's on the books instead trying to pass laws we already have.

#13 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

I'm sorry but can someone please explain what this bill would have done? The last time I bought a shotgun at a gun show I still had to have a background check. When I bought a handgun online it had to be shipped to a FFL dealer who had to run a background check on me before releasing the gun to me. I don't get why not try to enforce what's on the books instead trying to pass laws we already have.

I'm sorry, but do you think that every state has the same regulation as yours?:roll:
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#14 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

Nice to see some people are happy to see that someone with a violent criminal record or person with mental issues can purchase a gun with none of that pesky bureaucracy to fuss with :eyeroll:

Ideology over common sense triumphs again.

#15 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

Nice to see some people are happy to see that someone with a violent criminal record or person with mental issues can purchase a gun with none of that pesky bureaucracy to fuss with :eyeroll:

Why is a person with documented mental issues walking around freely?

Would a person with documented mental issues steal a gun if they could not pass a background check?

#16 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

Thanks to this bill dying, your second point is moot.

#17 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

Murrica- Lacking common sense since well shit damn near long ass time ago

#18 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

This totally would have stopped the newton shooting from happening

#19 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

I can't say I have extensive knowledge of all the various shootings, but would this have prevented any of the major shootings around the US?
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#20 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

Regardless of whether this prevents a shooting or not I would say requiring at least the same registration requirements for guns as we do for cars is not outlandish. Hell this bill does not even come close to even going THAT far and it still failed. Well failed in the sense that our democracy says that 55 out of 100 is not a majority.

#21 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Haha. Harry Reid voted against the bill.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#22 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Regardless of whether this prevents a shooting or not I would say requiring at least the same registration requirements for guns as we do for cars is not outlandish. Hell this bill does not even come close to even going THAT far and it still failed. Well failed in the sense that our democracy says that 55 out of 100 is not a majority.

And despite all the motor vehicles laws how many people do you think drive daily without a license, insurance, inspection sticker, valid registration.

Do you think moar motor vehicle laws should be put in the books?

#23 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Obviously we need more strict car laws. And we need to make a law against illegal immigration so we can stop that from happening to. Also, we need to ban drugs, make strict drug penalties and make expensive task forces dedicated to shutting down the drug trade. The only thing that will stop the pressing issues of our nation is writing things down about them on a piece of paper!
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#24 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Haha. Harry Reid voted against the bill.

You realize that he had to do that in order to bring it back later on, right?

#25 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

You realize that he had to do that in order to bring it back later on, right?

You realize that is a waste of time, because it probably won't ever make it out of the Senate? And that there is no way it ever makes it through the House?
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#26 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

And a few people opposed the Iraq War. Going there was still a sure thing, but some of those who opposed it were well remembered. Actions have meaning outside the voting process.

#27 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

You're comparing this bill to the Iraq Resolution? Oh jeez.

#28 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Actually it will make it out of the Senate. The house is a different matter but change sometimes takes time. Some people are stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. Eventually they begin to consider another point of view other than their own.....

Some people here should try it

LOL welcome to VS

#29 bear489

bear489

Give me them tags!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm sorry, but do you think that every state has the same regulation as yours?:roll:

I wished so every state could be like Alaska, but in reality if the fed gov had it's way every state would be like NY or CA with thier gun laws.

#30 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Regardless of whether this prevents a shooting or not I would say requiring at least the same registration requirements for guns as we do for cars is not outlandish. Hell this bill does not even come close to even going THAT far and it still failed.

Drivers licenses, as long as you pass the requirements, are shall issue. Do you want counties that are no issue to not be allowed to be no issue?

Well failed in the sense that our democracy says that 55 out of 100 is not a majority.

The U.S. Senate worked as designed, more or less.

You know, some counties/states require 2/3rds vote for tax increases. It's another check on majority power.