US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks

It easier to buy a gun, then go the your local city to get a protest/assembly permit.....LOL

Apparently the gov't have no problem taking away the other amendments, but guns are sacred...lol

I was going to say inb4 lefty gun haters, but too late.

Glad this failed. Now just gotta kill Feinstein's trash bill.

[quote name='ID2006']US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks

"90% of the public? Get back to me when it's 99%."

Edit: I know it was watered down garbage, but it's still amusing that they can't get something so basic through the Senate, even.[/QUOTE]

So if 90% of the public wanted to re institute slavery, then you would be cool with it? The point of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is to protect individuals from the majority.....now if you tell me that a majority of the populace wants Obamacare repealed;).....

[quote name='egofed']So if 90% of the public wanted to re institute slavery, then you would be cool with it? The point of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is to protect individuals from the majority.....now if you tell me that a majority of the populace wants Obamacare repealed;).....[/QUOTE]

110% agreed

[quote name='egofed']So if 90% of the public wanted to re institute slavery, then you would be cool with it? The point of the Constitution and Bill of Rights is to protect individuals from the majority.....now if you tell me that a majority of the populace wants Obamacare repealed;).....[/QUOTE]

Yeah...public support of background checks for gun purchases is equivalent to public support of slavery. Gun control...slavery...same fucking thing, amirite?:roll:

[quote name='soulvengeance']So why should we have background checks at all on anything then?[/QUOTE]
Duh, that's the point, we shouldn't! Not on a damn thing! You want that RPG? Well mah friend, that's your right as a "Merican. After all, you never know when Obama Hitler is going to come knocking your door down, robbing you blind, and killing your family!

[quote name='dohdough']Yeah...public support of background checks for gun purchases is equivalent to public support of slavery. Gun control...slavery...same fucking thing, amirite?:roll:[/QUOTE]

You clearly didn't make the connection. :cool:

[quote name='Calipso']You clearly didn't make the connection. :cool:[/QUOTE]

not it's just a dumb connection. (Hint- one is real, one is pretend. One is a clear moral, ethical and constitutional violation and the other simply makes it harder for gun manufacturers to make a few bucks)

I'm sorry but can someone please explain what this bill would have done? The last time I bought a shotgun at a gun show I still had to have a background check. When I bought a handgun online it had to be shipped to a FFL dealer who had to run a background check on me before releasing the gun to me. I don't get why not try to enforce what's on the books instead trying to pass laws we already have.

[quote name='bear489']I'm sorry but can someone please explain what this bill would have done? The last time I bought a shotgun at a gun show I still had to have a background check. When I bought a handgun online it had to be shipped to a FFL dealer who had to run a background check on me before releasing the gun to me. I don't get why not try to enforce what's on the books instead trying to pass laws we already have.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but do you think that every state has the same regulation as yours?:roll:

Nice to see some people are happy to see that someone with a violent criminal record or person with mental issues can purchase a gun with none of that pesky bureaucracy to fuss with :eyeroll:

Ideology over common sense triumphs again.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Nice to see some people are happy to see that someone with a violent criminal record or person with mental issues can purchase a gun with none of that pesky bureaucracy to fuss with :eyeroll:[/QUOTE]
Why is a person with documented mental issues walking around freely?

Would a person with documented mental issues steal a gun if they could not pass a background check?

I can't say I have extensive knowledge of all the various shootings, but would this have prevented any of the major shootings around the US?

Regardless of whether this prevents a shooting or not I would say requiring at least the same registration requirements for guns as we do for cars is not outlandish. Hell this bill does not even come close to even going THAT far and it still failed. Well failed in the sense that our democracy says that 55 out of 100 is not a majority.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Regardless of whether this prevents a shooting or not I would say requiring at least the same registration requirements for guns as we do for cars is not outlandish. Hell this bill does not even come close to even going THAT far and it still failed. Well failed in the sense that our democracy says that 55 out of 100 is not a majority.[/QUOTE]

And despite all the motor vehicles laws how many people do you think drive daily without a license, insurance, inspection sticker, valid registration.

Do you think moar motor vehicle laws should be put in the books?

Obviously we need more strict car laws. And we need to make a law against illegal immigration so we can stop that from happening to. Also, we need to ban drugs, make strict drug penalties and make expensive task forces dedicated to shutting down the drug trade. The only thing that will stop the pressing issues of our nation is writing things down about them on a piece of paper!

[quote name='UncleBob']54.

Haha. Harry Reid voted against the bill.[/QUOTE]

You realize that he had to do that in order to bring it back later on, right?

[quote name='ID2006']You realize that he had to do that in order to bring it back later on, right?[/QUOTE]

You realize that is a waste of time, because it probably won't ever make it out of the Senate? And that there is no way it ever makes it through the House?

And a few people opposed the Iraq War. Going there was still a sure thing, but some of those who opposed it were well remembered. Actions have meaning outside the voting process.

[quote name='perdition(troy']You realize that is a waste of time, because it probably won't ever make it out of the Senate? And that there is no way it ever makes it through the House?[/QUOTE]

Actually it will make it out of the Senate. The house is a different matter but change sometimes takes time. Some people are stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. Eventually they begin to consider another point of view other than their own.....

Some people here should try it

[quote name='pyschonerd']Actually it will make it out of the Senate. The house is a different matter but change sometimes takes time. Some people are stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. Eventually they begin to consider another point of view other than their own.....

Some people here should try it[/QUOTE]

LOL welcome to VS

[quote name='dohdough']I'm sorry, but do you think that every state has the same regulation as yours?:roll:[/QUOTE]

I wished so every state could be like Alaska, but in reality if the fed gov had it's way every state would be like NY or CA with thier gun laws.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Regardless of whether this prevents a shooting or not I would say requiring at least the same registration requirements for guns as we do for cars is not outlandish. Hell this bill does not even come close to even going THAT far and it still failed.[/quote]

Drivers licenses, as long as you pass the requirements, are shall issue. Do you want counties that are no issue to not be allowed to be no issue?

Well failed in the sense that our democracy says that 55 out of 100 is not a majority.
The U.S. Senate worked as designed, more or less.

You know, some counties/states require 2/3rds vote for tax increases. It's another check on majority power.

[quote name='bear489']I wished so every state could be like Alaska, but in reality if the fed gov had it's way every state would be like NY or CA with thier gun laws.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like someone that doesn't know jack shit about the gun laws of EITHER state. Don't let that get in your way of a good rant about them though.

[quote name='Spokker']Drivers licenses, as long as you pass the requirements, are shall issue. Do you want counties that are no issue to not be allowed to be no issue?

The U.S. Senate worked as designed, more or less.

You know, some counties/states require 2/3rds vote for tax increases. It's another check on majority power.[/QUOTE]

Like how a treaty requires 60 votes to be ratified.

I'm pretty darn "pro-gun" and I like the federal requirement for private parties to do a background check. Having been to a dozen gun shows or so, there's this mentality that if you can buy a gun, and have it's transfer totally undocumented, that you pulled one over on Uncle Sam. It's a weird group, that I don't fully understand, but I too have never witnessed a purchase at a gun show, that was not subjected to a background check, in the State of Oregon. Now if two dudes wander off to the parking lot, that's a different story. The dudes in the parking lot need to be covered under this.

Where the bill lost me, was in the transfer from family members. I inherited a couple pistols and a rifle from two grandfathers over the past 3 years. As a person who has already had a few background checks for firearm purchases, and is merely taking ownership of my grandfather's pistols, it seems laborious and unnecessary to run a check under those circumstances.

How you word that so that you don't have thousands of people buying guns off of their 8th step-cousin on their mother's uncle's brother's side, I do not know, but I'm highly in favor of standard background checks between two strangers/non-family members.

The addition I would like to see is a database that matches known gun owners with roommates or acquaintances that they live with, who have documented mental illness. There will be tons of folks that slip through the cracks, but the requirement for owners to keep their firearms secure, and accounted for, could be expanded. THAT may have done something to prevent the Newtown shooting, because nothing in the bill would have, despite proponents using Newtown as motivation.

The government can't even figure out how to shut down tax loopholes, tax cheats, and off shore tax shelters and they are going to have a working database that tracks roommates or acquaintances (that typically are not long term) that have mental illness and match that with gun owners? That just sounds incredibly impossible and just weird tracking an entire portion of our populace on a federal level.

[quote name='perdition(troy']The government can't even figure out how to shut down tax loopholes, tax cheats, and off shore tax shelters and they are going to have a working database that tracks roommates or acquaintances (that typically are not long term) that have mental illness and match that with gun owners? That just sounds incredibly impossible and just weird tracking an entire portion of our populace on a federal level.[/QUOTE]

Oh it's wishful thinking for sure, and I don't think it would ever be done, but if it were a division of the ATF or FBI, maybe they have the resources at their disposal at least. A hell of a lot more critical than the IRS.

But I don't think it's wrong to have a list of people with potential access to firearms, and a history of mental illness. It's the execution of it that could be impossible/very challenging.

And still in a good deal of states, it's NOT a crime to sell a gun to a person who's high and/or drunk, thank you capped in the knees ATF. The same people who hate those background checks bill sure love the right to do that.

Funny story the last time I got my drivers license:

An older gentleman was ahead of me in line to renew his license. While doing the eye exam, he continued to read the wrong lines that the DMV lady was asking him to read. She finally gave up when she realized he wasn't reading the correct lines.

He then went to go get his picture taken for his new license. They told him to go stand up against the wall to do so. So he did. With his face about 6 inches facing the wall and his back to the camera. After realizing he couldn't hear them telling him to turn around, someone else getting their license went up to him and said he needed to face the camera.

He walked out with a license as I was finishing up.

Moral of the story: Getting a drivers license is as easy as getting a gun. And that's the problem (for both drivers and gun owners)

[quote name='bear489']I wished so every state could be like Alaska, but in reality if the fed gov had it's way every state would be like NY or CA with thier gun laws.[/QUOTE]

You mean the same Federal Government that pays people to live there?

Also, I don't understand how having to pay for my write to vote by purchasing a government ID is okay and totally in line with the Constitution, but having to get a background check isn't.

[quote name='4thHorseman']
Moral of the story: Getting a drivers license is as easy as getting a gun. And that's the problem (for both drivers and gun owners)[/QUOTE]
When I got my license they were very busy and the guy didn't even make me do half the things they make you do during the test. He cut it short and gave me a pass. Luckily I know how to drive anyway and no accidents/tickets/anything in 11 years.

[quote name='bear489']I'm sorry but can someone please explain what this bill would have done? The last time I bought a shotgun at a gun show I still had to have a background check. When I bought a handgun online it had to be shipped to a FFL dealer who had to run a background check on me before releasing the gun to me. I don't get why not try to enforce what's on the books instead trying to pass laws we already have.[/QUOTE]
I've seen plenty of sales at flea markets and shows, no background check to be seen. Buy it and walk right out.

[quote name='ID2006']You realize that he had to do that in order to bring it back later on, right?[/QUOTE]

What? You mean such an honorable and noble (D) Senator would play games with the Legislative process in order to get what he wants?

I thought only the dirty Republicans did that kind of stuff. Our more Liberal members of Congress just want a fair and honest up-or-down vote on things, right?

“Meet the 45 Senators Who Blocked Background Checks” declared a Wednesday evening headline by Mother Jones, leaving Senator Number 46 unscathed. “Reid was a special case,” the liberal website says.

“[Reid v]oted ‘no’ as a procedural move to preserve [the] option to reintroduce the bill,” the site explains.

“Reid did vote no on the background check vote to preserve his right as majority leader to bring it up again,” agreed a Senate GOP aide in an email to The Daily Caller Thursday. “Majority leaders do this all the time on bills they want to try to advance again.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/19/w...vote-against-background-checks/#ixzz2QuIu1KSJ

[quote name='UncleBob']What? You mean such an honorable and noble (D) Senator would play games with the Legislative process in order to get what he wants?

I thought only the dirty Republicans did that kind of stuff. Our more Liberal members of Congress just want a fair and honest up-or-down vote on things, right?[/QUOTE]

EHHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEH...good one, Bob.

bread's done
Back