US Senate rejects amendment to expand gun-sale checks

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Now son, your mama said we need some bonding time, so we're gonna go out and shoot somethin'.

I'm sorry, that scenario just seems hilarious. :rofl:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#122 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Now son, your mama said we need some bonding time, so we're gonna go out and shoot somethin'.

I'm sorry, that scenario just seems hilarious. :rofl:

Uhhhh, that's actually fairly common in a lot of rural regions of this country. I don't hunt, but I know a ton of people who do as their main hobby. Sharing it with their children is their right, and you finding it hilarious seems to go against your "tolerant" liberal world view...:roll:

#123 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yeah looks like you missed the point about proper supervision. Good one.

Nope I didn't miss that part. I don't buy the logic that simply providing proper supervision is going to deter a child from not thinking what they have in their hand is a toy. Kids that age have far too active of imaginations and are not grounded enough in logic and reason to understand the consequences of what their actions could be. No kid is going to fully comprehend that a gun is an instrument of destruction and its ultimate purpose is to eliminate what it is targeting. They are going to laugh and smile at the noise it makes and the hole in the target that it causes.

It boggles the mind that we let children shoot guns, but we ban Lawn Darts because they kill each other with them. A gun is cool, but a metal dart we ban.

Posted Image

#124 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Nope I didn't miss that part. I don't buy the logic that simply providing proper supervision is going to deter a child from not thinking what they have in their hand is a toy. Kids that age have far too active of imaginations and are not grounded enough in logic and reason to understand the consequences of what their actions could be. No kid is going to fully comprehend that a gun is an instrument of destruction and its ultimate purpose is to eliminate what it is targeting. They are going to laugh and smile at the noise it makes and the hole in the target that it causes.

It boggles the mind that we let children shoot guns, but we ban Lawn Darts because they kill each other with them. A gun is cool, but a metal dart we ban.

Well we differ in that opinion. I can see some children believing that but a very small number. My father was a policeman and took me to shoot a gun when I was 7 years old, I never took it for a toy. Ever since that moment I have not touched a gun until I was teenager.

Please keep in mind that a gun is not a tool of destruction, it is just a tool. A purpose is set by the wielder.

Did you also know that people in Switzerland love guns and parents frequently go target shooting with children.

#125 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Well we differ in that opinion. I can see some children believing that but a very small number. My father was a policeman and took me to shoot a gun when I was 7 years old, I never took it for a toy. Ever since that moment I have not touched a gun until I was teenager.

Please keep in mind that a gun is not a tool of destruction, it is just a tool. A purpose is set by the wielder.

Did you also know that people in Switzerland love guns and parents frequently go target shooting with children.

Eh, I think you're stretching a bit, the primary purpose of a gun is destruction, which is fine, but pretending it's not is silly.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#126 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Eh, I think you're stretching a bit, the primary purpose of a gun is destruction, which is fine, but pretending it's not is silly.

Actually I think the primary purpose of the gun is defense or possibly hunting. The only ones who use it for destruction would be the government and criminals. Background checks would not resolve this issue.

#127 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

A gun is cool, but a metal dart we ban.

Wham-o should legally classify it as an aerial weapon and then appeal on second amendment grounds.
Posted Image

#128 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Actually I think the primary purpose of the gun is defense or possibly hunting. The only ones who use it for destruction would be the government and criminals. Background checks would not resolve this issue.

It still involves killing stuff, no? I'm not really arguing about the background checks, but in general, the sole purpose of the gun is to kill, even target shooting is really just practice for the real thing.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#129 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Wham-o should legally classify it as an aerial weapon and then appeal on second amendment grounds.

Posted Image
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#130 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Right back to where we started which is that we, as a society, protect children from everything that might hurt them or they aren't intelligent enough to handle but guns. You have to be 16 to drive a car or 15 with a parent in the car but there's no age limit on guns? Its staggeringly backward.

#131 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Right back to where we started which is that we, as a society, protect children from everything that might hurt them or they aren't intelligent enough to handle but guns. You have to be 16 to drive a car or 15 with a parent in the car but there's no age limit on guns? Its staggeringly backward.

If they're old enough to kill someone, they're old enough to drink, smoke, work in coal mines and inside heavy industrial equipment.

Didn't you hear that a kid will learn more from cleaning up a school than actually getting an education in it?
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#132 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:53 AM

Don't forget the outrage over how dangerous bucky balls were to kids. They're dangerous because kids might swallow them, but hey, handing a 5 year old a rifle and teaching them to shoot it is A-OK.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#133 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Don't forget the outrage over how dangerous bucky balls were to kids. They're dangerous because kids might swallow them, but hey, handing a 5 year old a rifle and teaching them to shoot it is A-OK.

I think 5 seems a bit young myself, but, unlike Melissa on MSNBC says, kids do not belong to us all. What laws are you going to enact that are actually going to stop a parent who feels that their child is ready and responsible enough to handle a firearm? Predator spy drones circling every neighborhood? This tragedy was the result of an adult's negligence, not the gov't refusal to pass a law for every single safety contingency that might exist.

#134 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

I think 5 seems a bit young myself, but, unlike Melissa on MSNBC says, kids do not belong to us all. What laws are you going to enact that are actually going to stop a parent who feels that their child is ready and responsible enough to handle a firearm? Predator spy drones circling every neighborhood? This tragedy was the result of an adult's negligence, not the gov't refusal to pass a law for every single safety contingency that might exist.

Substitute cars for guns in your argument and tell me why it is different, unless you think we should repeal minimum driving ages as well...

#135 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Did you know that it's perfectly legal for an underage child to operate a motor vehicle?

Weird, eh?

More weird how, at one moment, "right-wingers" are stupid for making bad comparisons between (guns, health insurance, etc.) to cars... meanwhile, it's all "substitute cars there!" It's just like when Obama tried to liken health insurance to automotive insurance. None of the usual crowd called him out on that.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#136 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Substitute cars for guns in your argument and tell me why it is different, unless you think we should repeal minimum driving ages as well...

I totally agree with Bob, but also want to add that driving down a busy highway and learning responsible firearms handling out in the middle of the woods or in a legitimate shooting range are very different indeed also. Most urban areas have laws about discharging firearms without reason in public. Did you really think that I meant people should take their five year old to the mall or out in the front yard and let him start practicing?:roll: I feel like Dark Helmet in Spaceballs, "What's with you man? Come on!";)

#137 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

What laws are you going to enact that are actually going to stop a parent who feels that their child is ready and responsible enough to handle a firearm?

I totally agree. Why even have any laws at all if select people are going to deliberately not follow them, right?

How many fires per year do arson laws stop, man?
Posted Image

#138 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

"This is not a battle about gun rights," Porter said, calling it "a culture war."

http://news.yahoo.co...-163302097.html

And it seems to me that they're trying to incite that very culture war he speaks of. I'm more worried about some right wing militia attacking people now than any foreign terrorist group.

#139 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

Just look at the way this guy stood up to government tyranny:

http://freakoutnatio...tias-terrorism/

#140 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I totally agree. Why even have any laws at all if select people are going to deliberately not follow them, right?

How many fires per year do arson laws stop, man?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to think certain laws aren't there as preventative measures, but are there to give the government the ability to bring justice.

No arson law means no charges filed, means the arsonist gets away and starts another fire.

No 7-10 bullet maximum law means the police can't charge that mass murderer who just killed 20 people for loading more than seven bullets. Darn let's hope those murder charges stick. It doesnt prevent the guy from doing anything if he has the motivation. It only prevents law abiding citizens who don't want to be charged from loading seven bullets, and whether or not it even will be effective in doing that is debatable.

Edited by Knoell, 04 May 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#141 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just look at the way this guy stood up to government tyranny:

http://freakoutnatio...tias-terrorism/

http://www.cleveland...till_wonde.html

"He was a scumbag, and a terrorist, and he's dead," Stanko said at a news conference on Friday.

I wonder if our usual suspects will come out and talk about how society is to blame and how we shouldn't just call this individual defective.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#142 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Anyone see Marc Maron on Real Time last night night? When they were taking about the company selling rifles for kids he made a comment of something like "Whose tyranny are they fighting against, their parents?". I actually thought that was rather funny considering comments from the NRA.

#143 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

Is this a beginning or another day in paradise?