Fertilizer plant in West, Texas explodes.

enigma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here's the CNN.com "What we know" information:

(CNN) -- A massive explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant in the town of West, Texas, Wednesday night, sending scores of injured to area hospitals, sparking fires and triggering evacuations.

WHAT'S NEW
-- "It was like a nuclear bomb went off," West Mayor Tommy Muska said.
-- Some 10 to 15 buildings have been "totally demolished" and "probably 50 homes (were) heavily damaged," said George Smith, community emergency medical services director.
-- The fertilizer plant was near an apartment complex and a nursing home, authorities said.
-- Some people might be trapped in collapsed buildings, Smith said.
-- "I expect there's going to be many fatalities and many more injured people," he added.
-- State troopers in gas masks set up roadblocks, waving away cars coming off the highway

PREVIOUSLY REPORTED
The blast
-- A massive explosion hit the West fertilizer plant some 18 miles north of Waco, Texas.
-- At least two emergency medical personnel are dead, said EMS Director Smith.
-- Hillcrest Hospital in Waco was told to anticipate 100 injured people.
-- More than 60 patients were received Wednesday night, hospital CEO Glenn Robinson said, with victims suffering from "blast injuries, orthopedic injuries (and) a lot of lacerations. While some of the injuries are minor, others are "quite serious."
-- A number of nearby residents were being evacuated because of the possibility of another explosion, officials said.
-- Chrystal Anthony said she saw the flames engulf a nursing home and an apartment complex.

The response
-- A field triage station was set up on a football field near the plant, Robinson said.
-- At least six helicopters were flying out the injured, Robinson said. Others were being transported by ambulance, and some were getting to the hospital by car, he added.
-- Aircraft flying below 3,000 feet were banned from going within a 3-mile radius of West, Texas, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
-- Hazardous material teams were being rushed to the scene, an emergency management official said.
-- Texas Gov. Rick Perry was working to get resources into the area, his spokesman said.
-- Anhydrous ammonia is a concern of those in the vicinity of the explosion,Smith said. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anhydrous ammonia is a pungent gas with suffocating fumes that is used as a fertilizer.
-- Area residents told CNN that they were warned about the toxic substance.

And here's a video that will likely give you nightmares:

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Fertilizer Plant Explosion Near Waco, Texas - YouTube

.________________________________.

That's the most impactful youtube video I've seen in awhile.

Also, in before conspiracy.

Ive been watching this for several hours now. Gonna hate to see what that town looks like when the sun comes up.

[quote name='Sonne'].________________________________.

That's the most impactful youtube video I've seen in awhile.

Also, in before conspiracy.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it? I could actually feel that child's fear. Jesus.

I first responded to this as soon as it happened and I just got home. It was pretty bad out there. The nursing home was almost completely destroyed. The EMS station was destroyed. AirEvac Helicopter base was destroyed. An entire 50 unit apartment complex was leveled. Several homes destroyed, others with lots of damage.
We triaged over 200+ patients for sure. I am not sure how many died but it was quoted as between 70-80. I personally saw around 5 or 6. A lot of the bodies could not be recovered because they evacuated the areas because of fumes and two 12,000 gallon Ammonia tanks that still had not exploded. Several firefighters and EMS personnel are believed dead because they were on scene fighting the fire when the explosion happened but nobody is really sure at this point. Body recovery will be going on into tomorrow.

2 major tragedies in under a week. Unbelievable.

And I really wish I wasnt wearing headphones while watching that vid. Thought the start of the video was the aftermath of the explosion

Takes a lot to startle me. That video can be added to a short list.

The Iraq bombing, Boston bombing, this terrifying explosion near Waco, the H7N9 avian flu rising, and just a ton of things from the India rape epidemic, to horrifying day-to-day revelations. Dunno if things are getting worse or if the Internet has just made it easier to see what's going on in the world.

Regardless, this week has been terrible. Historically, from what I've read, the third week of April is just a bad week. This is the same week of the Columbine massacre, Oklahoma City bombing, Waco massacre, and some other events.

I have a friend close by in the area who heard the explosion. They thought it was SpaceX testing another rocket or something.

This is fucking tragic.

[quote name='darthbudge']I first responded to this as soon as it happened and I just got home. It was pretty bad out there. The nursing home was almost completely destroyed. The EMS station was destroyed. AirEvac Helicopter base was destroyed. An entire 50 unit apartment complex was leveled. Several homes destroyed, others with lots of damage.
We triaged over 200+ patients for sure. I am not sure how many died but it was quoted as between 70-80. I personally saw around 5 or 6. A lot of the bodies could not be recovered because they evacuated the areas because of fumes and two 12,000 gallon Ammonia tanks that still had not exploded. Several firefighters and EMS personnel are believed dead because they were on scene fighting the fire when the explosion happened but nobody is really sure at this point. Body recovery will be going on into tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for what you do as a first responder.

537802_10150291173959996_1949514942_n.jpg

[quote name='mtxbass1']I have a friend close by in the area who heard the explosion. They thought it was SpaceX testing another rocket or something.

This is fucking tragic.[/QUOTE]

Girl I'm close with is near there. She told me at the time that there were reports of an earthquake, and it turned out it was the explosion.

When she sent me that video in the OP my initial reaction was "Psh, that wasn't caught on camera, it's already on fire." Yeah. Was I surprised a minute later.

That video is terrifying. Have they been able to confirm if it was an accident or set on fire intentionally? Poor people.

bread's done
Back