Photo
- - - - -

Massive Gitmo hunger strike reaches past 11th week, over half the detainees.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Edit: A Guantanamo Hunger Strike Chart

4/26 - Now up to 97 prisoners, 5 hospitalized.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

4/22 - Half Guantanamo detainees on hunger strike
Spoiler

4/15 - Obama, Guantánamo, and the enduring national shame - A related article by Glenn Greenwald.

4/14 - Gitmo Is Killing Me - An op-ed by one of the hunger strike inmates.
Spoiler

It would be so shameful if this ends in vain. What more can these prisoners do to protest their highly dubious fate?

It's terrible, and should be a black mark on Obama's legacy, but will probably be whitewashed to obliteration..

Edited by ID2006, 26 April 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#2 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Let them starve themselves to death.

#3 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Let them starve themselves to death.

Not everyone at Gitmo is a terrorist, commited crimes, and/or otherwise involved with terrorism. HTH
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#4 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I said nothing about their crimes.

#5 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

It seems like more and more over the past couple of years I find myself coming back to this:

#6 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

I said nothing about their crimes.

So your point about allowing them to starve is?
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#7 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Point is what does it prove or accomplish? It's like north korea waiving its dick around hoping at some point they get another foreign aid food package for the 100th time. There is no reason to give in to anything. Let them starve if that is their choice.

#8 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Point is what does it prove or accomplish? It's like north korea waiving its dick around hoping at some point they get another foreign aid food package for the 100th time. There is no reason to give in to anything. Let them starve if that is their choice.

The point is that we're treating innocent people like shit because we want to. This is just their only way of crying for help.

#9 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Clearly they are all innocent.

There are only 180~ prisoners left. From what I remember about the wiki leaks papers is that most of the ones left were high priority prisoners.

#10 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Clearly they are all innocent.

There are only 180~ prisoners left. From what I remember about the wiki leaks papers is that most of the ones left were high priority prisoners.

Who said anything about all of them? I said people, implying a minimum of 2. If you don't think that at least 2 people are innocent in Gitmo (and known to be innocent), then you're off your rocker.

#11 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

It would surprise me if it was only 2. I would think it would be more along the lines of 5-10%.

#12 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

It would surprise me if it was only 2. I would think it would be more along the lines of 5-10%.

So how can you think it's OK to let innocent people starve to death because we're torturing them?

#13 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Because A) we aren't torturing them B) it's there choice to eat or make a statement.

#14 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

If you're think we're not torturing them you're in denial. If we're not torturing them then we're just leaving them in because the U.S. fucked up in detaining them. You see, if we admitted that we jailed innocent people that would mean the sky would fall because this country, i.e. God, was found to be in error. /sarcasm
But seriously, finding that out would mean the prisoners would be able to sue this country for a bundle given their treatment and it would be deeply humiliating to some of the politicians(you'll note I don't say country) of the United States. Imagine Obama or George Bush losing face because they fucked up in the detentions(God forbid).
I also imagine they would be perfectly willing to let go if some prisoners sign one of those things that wrongly jailed prisoners have to sign here if they want to get out early after the mistake is found. You know the piece of paperwork I'm talking about, right? It's the one that says you agree not to sue the assholes who fucked up and left you in prison for half your life.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#15 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Because A) we aren't torturing them B) it's there choice to eat or make a statement.

OK, let's say we aren't torturing them. We're still A) holding innocent people and B) denying them rights guaranteed by our constitution.

#16 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

But Obama being a consitutional lawyer should surely respect the Constitution huh?

Yup no reason for people to hate America, everyone should be forgiving of what America has done to them in the past, after all we have the moral authority..

#17 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

OK, let's say we aren't torturing them. We're still A) holding innocent people and B) denying them rights guaranteed by our constitution.

Rights guaranteed to us citizens. If we have any left in there you are right they should be moved.

#18 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Benjamin Franklin:

That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved

Now you know why this guy will NEVER EVER be president.. I'm surprise our country still print bills with his face on it..

#19 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Now you know why this guy will NEVER EVER be president.. I'm surprise our country still print bills with his face on it..

Ya that and he is dead

#20 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ya that and he is dead

Dead and forgotten......:applause:

Just the way our gov't wants it

#21 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Who doesn't know who Benjamin Franklin is lol

#22 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

right wingers.... conservatives, our members of congress and senate?

#23 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Rights guaranteed to us citizens. If we have any left in there you are right they should be moved.

Actually, most of the constitutional rights are guaranteed to all humans, not just US citizens. The only ones that apply specifically to citizens are ones like voting rights and the right to hold office.

EDIT: Specifically, the fifth and sixth amendments apply to all people, not just citizens.

#24 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Why do you think things like habeas corpus are only limited to US citizens?
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#25 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

We're going to close Guantanamo. And we're going to restore habeas corpus. We're going to lead by example—not just by word but by deed. That's our vision for the future.

Oh, to be so innocent as to have believed a politician...
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#26 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Why would Obama keep innocent people in jail?

#27 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

It's not his fault. You see, when Obama sleeps at night, Dubya sneaks into his room and whispers evil things in his ears.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#28 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Spare us the faux concern. It's a winner issue for the GOP. They can do nothing to close it AND bitch about Obama not keeping promises.

yea, I'm pissed it's still open. But Don't act like he has done nothing. Congress lost it will to do anything about where to put the prisoners and enacted legislation to prevent it.

and yes, blah blah he had a friendly congress for 2 years, blah blah

#29 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

That's not the point, even though he wanted to close it he would've continued the policy of indefinite detention, which is the main objection to Gitmo.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#30 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

What he said.

Obama has signed legislation that has continued the policies of the Bush administration that does not nice things like denies legal council and trials for detainees. In fact, some of what the Obama administration has put in place is beyond what the Bush administration did.

As for "faux concern" - for some of us, it isn't. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but some of us where against the Iraq war and some of us where against the Afghanistan war. Even some of us are wholly opposed to secret detention centers where we can hold people outside of the US so we don't have to treat them according to US law.