anyone play violin? need some help

RonnieWrecked

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[ little background, i know how to play guitar / bass / ukulele ]

i recently purchased a violin via Amazon, which had good reviews for a decent budget / student violin.

i just finished tuning it, and noticed that i'm missing notes on the 1st string. there's a space of about 2 inches [ i can put 3 fingers down ] where when i play or pluck, it's the same note.

is it possible that my bridge isn't placed properly? or could i have a bad fingerboard? the neck and fingerboard look fine, no warping or any misperceptions that i can notice. bridge looks good too.

any suggestions?

thanks

Not sure how that's possible, unless the string itself is bad. Even if the fingerboard or bridge were off, you should still hear different notes when your fingers are placed in different spots.

yeah, although the string doesn't seem to have any kinks or bends in it.

it did come with a spare string, although i think i should just play it on the safe side and get it exchanged. i don't have the time at the moment to find a store around me that could look at it.

thanks dopa

pic 1
pic 2

it sounds bad from the middle of the fingerboard [ between the scroll and body ] until the top of the body. also noticed that the string makes a rattling sound when i push down in the spot where it starts to go bad.

visually everything looks good.

bread's done
Back