CAGcast #322: Press X to CAGcast

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The CAGcast guys talk Injustice: Gods Among Us, Dead Island Riptide, Don't Starve, Surgeon Simulator 2013, Star Trek and more! Stay tuned after the show for a Bioshock Infinite spoiler special.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]232[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 41 minutes) - iTunes
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Let's Get SPunky - EOWXXX / GI JOE PSA

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

[quote name='bickle']Show Notes

2:00 Bioshock Infinite or Hitman or Tomb Raider?
7:15 Show Feedback
7:15 - Localization
11:15 - Marvel vs DC
14:15 Injustice
24:30 Watch This
24:30 - Django Unchained
25:15 New Releases
25:25 - Dead Island:Riptide
29:30 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
30:30 - Star Trek: The Video Game
32:00 - Lego City Undercover
35:15 - Black Rock Shooter
38:30 - Poker Night 2
42:00 - Don't Starve
44:00 - Kairo
44:45 - Surgeon Simulator 2013
47:45 Cheapy Awards
48:30 Dragon's Crown Sorceress controversy
56:45 Microsoft Xbox unveiling May 21st
57:15 Kinect / Pizza Hut
59:45 Motorcross Mania
1:00:15 Dragon Fantasy Book I
1:01:45 Robot Unicorn II
1:03:30 Bioshock Infinite discussion (spoilers)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It is "respectful objectification".

It's like a Baldung painting, but with Double Ks instead of B cups; and lots of hitting instead of standing in repose.

I honestly cannot believe I'm getting ready to type this but: bit vulgar on the opening song this week Cheapy. I don't mind F-bombs (its an adult show) but really it put me off starting off the show with that song. Mayhap because I started listening just after dropping my daughter off at school.

Dear God I feel old typing that.

I of course also realize the disagreements that will follow below, but it bugged me enough to decide to mention.

Still listening of course, the content of the show (poop and all) has never been a problem. Quite looking forward to the spoilercast talk later.

I'm with Wombat on his so-called "questionable" decision making. I haven't played Halo 4, but people say it's a really good shooter, especially for those restricted to console like Wombat. He can get to Tomb Raider when he's good and ready! I'm going to buy it now because it just went to $25 on Origin. No need to be a slave to the release schedule.

I would very much appreciate a 360 code for Poker night 2.
Why?
1) recently paid big bucks and drive 65 miles to see Evil Dead the musical. Once, when younger, even tried to raise funds for Bruce to shoot Army of Darkness 2.

2) My wife lived hearing Glados taunt me while playing portal wide kept asking why I kept dying in between laughs.

3) Sam and Max, never met them. I'd welcome a chance to play poker with them

4) I love Claptrap and borderlands so much that I wrecked my brand new 65 inch plasma screen by playing borderlands 2 too long before the tv was broken in. I now have permanent burn in of the health and shield bar. :(

5) constructive comment for the show: an occasion look back at a "classic game" like fallout or dragon age. Maybe a periodic wombat, shipwreck or cheapl y d "favorite 5 minutes" on a classic game.

6) finally, I'm without Internet for a week at home. Upgraded to fiber optic modem and CenturyLink cut my line while upgrading. A different (!?) tech has to come back an first appt. is in a week !?). Would live to look forward to poker to download.

Thanks!

Good cast this week. I think more discussion on why people don't like the dead island game just because it was similar to the old one would be good. I have a thought that some reviewers were still trying to make a statement about the torso stuff. Compare the scores for DI R to the score of the Star Trek game and you will see who was being true to the review and who wasn't

[quote name='jstew9']I honestly cannot believe I'm getting ready to type this but: bit vulgar on the opening song this week Cheapy. I don't mind F-bombs (its an adult show) but really it put me off starting off the show with that song. Mayhap because I started listening just after dropping my daughter off at school.

Dear God I feel old typing that.

I of course also realize the disagreements that will follow below, but it bugged me enough to decide to mention.

Still listening of course, the content of the show (poop and all) has never been a problem. Quite looking forward to the spoilercast talk later.[/QUOTE]

No, I agree with you. I said something to Cheapy also.

You want to talk about dumb super heroes and costumes? DC doesn’t have the monopoly on that, Marvel has their fair share of goofballs as well.

2596_4_01.jpg

Yes, those are disco ball roller skates.. being worn by a member of the X-Men.

But honestly there’s no such thing as a bad character, just bad writers. Good writers have made Moon Night interesting in the past, no small feat.

[quote name='jstew9']I honestly cannot believe I'm getting ready to type this but: bit vulgar on the opening song this week Cheapy. I don't mind F-bombs (its an adult show) but really it put me off starting off the show with that song. Mayhap because I started listening just after dropping my daughter off at school.
[/QUOTE]

Cheapy is a callous man, period.

Leaves his kid home alone.

He watches emo documentaries to feel better about himself and to try to have some sort of sensitivity.

There is a reason why he is nominated for CAG villian.

The dude needs therapy.

OH yeah and I think my post was the most constructive (its gonna make Cheapy a better man!), please send a Poker Night 2 360 code this way.

Just finished listening to this episode and want to say another great show as usual guys. I have to say that I didn't mind the opening music. It was really just classic Cheapy style music which is to say music with a techno/dance beat that is way out there. Tuning in to hear what crazy opening song Cheapy picked out this week is one of the trademarks I love about the show. Also, I've been listening to the CAGcast long enough to know that I shouldn't listen around sensitive ears. And besides, I really never listen to a podcast out loud with other people around anyway.

Also, props to Cheapy and Shipwreck for their unbiased opinion on DI:Riptide. Not that I necessarily care about that game to be honest but for some reason they gained a few respect points and leveled up in my book by just being honest and not lambasting it like every other video game news/review outlet for being more of the same. I listen to a lot of video game podcasts and this podcast has really become my go to source for unbiased and informative views on all things video games that really seem to jive with me. Keep up the good work gang....and yes that includes you too Wombat. Way to come around on Injustice. :applause:

You got the "Arrow" DLC costume for free by voting on the Injustice Battle Arena website before the game came out. I still haven't gotten my code though, so don't feel too bad.

Oh and Poker Night 2 please.

I'm excited for Dragon's Crown. I don't care at all whether it has breasts or not. It's a non-issue for me.

The art style (big boobs or not) looks good to me. And i'm excited for another 2d sidescroller with special command inputs for special moves. And I think I read it has skill trees??

I just hope they do crossplay because idk if i'll buy it for ps3 or vita.

Tomb Raider will be $30 soon enough. I can't blame Wombat for not being in a hurry to mow down hundreds of generic goons, and fight mini-bosses straight out of the third-person shooter big book of cliches.

I'd really like one of those Poker Night codes.

Constructive and Important.

I don't know... a support beam?

Seriously... I think Cheapy needs to plug in his 3DS and try out some of the more recent and awesome 3DS games. He seems to be stuck in the opinions he had during the first admittedly horrid first year.

I'd start with Luigi's Mansion 2.

On Bioshock Inf.-
Comstock was able to reconcile what he did at Wounded Knee, Booker wasn't . After Wounded Knee, Comstock validated all his past actions by doubling down, and then going to China to spread Christianity and commit genocide putting down the boxer rebellion.

You kinda have to pay attention, it's all in the game.

I have yet to play Injustice, but I don't think Wombat was out of line when he was complaining about the costumes. I also agree that the game's art is pretty bad in general. I still might pick it up based on word of mouth, but a stronger aesthetic would have made it a day one purchase for me.

I think a big part about Bioshock Infinite was character. And nobody talked about Booker or Elizabeth as characters or tried to relate to them. The one time you talk about Elizabeth is when you joke about her tits, which dampens whatever sort of credibility you had when talking about George Kamitani's character designs.

There were some good points brought up about Bioshock Infinite's story, like what was up with the horn head guys and why can I buy an action figure based on that character at Toys R Us? Also, why did they deduce that they must have changed everything just cause the weapon making equipment wasn't where it should have been, and also the Elizabeth's mom ghost. But I think the ghost thing and the whole insane asylum all was there to serve character. Which I think is becoming more and more important now a days. In my opinion I think you will always need good characters. Booker and Elizabeth were good characters and they were my favorite part of the game. They drove the story and I wanted to see how they would react to things and how they changed through out the story.

I'm wondering how the effort put into Bioshock Infinite's story compares to the effort put into Tomb Raider's story. Tomb Raider is just..."don't die". And I can say that i like the gameplay more in Tomb Raider in terms of exploration and shooting mechanics, but I still think Bioshock is a better game because I cared about it more. So I'm wondering if Cheapy is more accepting to the plot of Tomb Raider(i.e. don't die...get off island) because it serves the gameplay more and not so much in Bioshock because it serves character and tries to engage the audience's emotion.

Whatever, good show. It's still refreshing to see different opinions on bioshock!

Awesome show as usual guys! I'd love to see you hit one last quick list of 3 or 5 games from this entire generation that someone would really be missing out on it they didn't play it before all the new consoles roll out. As someone who just started playing Just Cause 2 this week, I'm glad I didn't let it fall through the cracks. Keep up the great work!

I'd also love a copy of Poker Night 2 (360) Thanks!

[quote name='commish']Cheapy you need to check out Young Justice just got cancelled only two seasons but one of the best cartoons ever done.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's almost as good as Justice League Unlimited.

As far as Bioshock, I rank them Bioshock 2, Bioshock 1 and then Bioshock Infinite. All three are good and have their own strengths. I think Bioshock had the best story but second best gameplay. Bioshock 2 had the second best story, but the gameplay was just much better and 1 and Infinite. Bioshock 2 introduced dual wielding to the series, fixed the hacking mini-games and kept the expanded arsenal of Bioshock. It struck the best balance between gameplay and story.

As much as I liked Infinite, the story got out of control toward the end. I'm with Cheapy in that is felt like a slog and a little tedious toward the end. If they took one of Wombat's fixes, I think they could have kept the story focused. I also had an issue with the 2 weapon limit. Not only did it take away a lot of your strategic options, the ammo reserves were also really small. On top of that, the weapons were too similar. For example, the repeater and machine were almost identical and not to far off from the burst gun. Despite these issues, I did enjoy the game and even bought the season pass.

In an effort to win the code for Poker Night 2 on the 360, I wanted to see about luring over Shipwreck to giving DC a shot. I was primarily a Marvel fan for most of my life till I picked up a graphic novel at a friend's suggestion. This may have been put out there already but in case it hasn't I thought it worth a shot.

'Identity Crisis' by Brad Meltzer remains one of the best series I've read to date. It's the graphic novel I recommend to folks just starting to dabble in comics. Shipwreck, give it a shot. It's one of the most popular series in DC history as well as one of the most reviled.

I completely agree with Wombat's thoughts on the Injustice demo, even with the part where I can't explain why. When the (new) Mortal Kombat demo came out a couple of years back, my friends and I played the crap out of that (until one of us purchased the full game). So when I heard of the Injustice demo coming, I was sure to download it ASAP. But... we probably played about 2 rounds apiece of it, and then were already bored of it. In comparison, we played the MK demo for good ~2-3 hour chunks on multiple days. But the Injustice demo, we were all done within 20 or so minutes.
However, surprisingly to me, one of my friends still decided to buy the full game last week, and we have enjoyed it pretty well. So the demo is unrepresentative of the product. I just can't tell you how.
And this was already answered, but I'm pretty sure you can't get the Green Arrow Arrow TV show costume anymore. There were only like 5,000 given away or something like that for doing something before the game came out.

i might be in the minority here, but I feel like shipwreck bags on wombat, almost with a tone where he is trying to discredit him. I've listen to the cagcast well before shipwreck was even part of the show. and I have no affinity for either of them, just feel like shipwreck is starting to have an attitude with wombat

Show Notes

2:00 Bioshock Infinite or Hitman or Tomb Raider?
7:15 Show Feedback
7:15 - Localization
11:15 - Marvel vs DC
14:15 Injustice
24:30 Watch This
24:30 - Django Unchained
25:15 New Releases
25:25 - Dead Island:Riptide
29:30 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
30:30 - Star Trek: The Video Game
32:00 - Lego City Undercover
35:15 - Black Rock Shooter
38:30 - Poker Night 2
42:00 - Don't Starve
44:00 - Kairo
44:45 - Surgeon Simulator 2013
47:45 Cheapy Awards
48:30 Dragon's Crown Sorceress controversy
56:45 Microsoft Xbox unveiling May 21st
57:15 Kinect / Pizza Hut
59:45 Motorcross Mania
1:00:15 Dragon Fantasy Book I
1:01:45 Robot Unicorn II
1:03:30 Bioshock Infinite discussion (spoilers)

[quote name='solidsevn']i might be in the minority here, but I feel like shipwreck bags on wombat, almost with a tone where he is trying to discredit him. I've listen to the cagcast well before shipwreck was even part of the show. and I have no affinity for either of them, just feel like shipwreck is starting to have an attitude with wombat[/QUOTE]

It's not as bad as the tone Wombat takes when reading show feedback.

Edit: with the bio shock discussion, I understand not liking a story to a game, but constantly saying what "should" have been done is insane. It's like listening to someone who didn't like a feature in the game explaining what should have been done to make the game better. If you knew what should have been done you'd be writing game stories or programming a game.

If I was the first to tell you the rest of the DLC list for Injustice would that increase my odds on Poker Night?

Here ya go!

Zod, Batgirl, Scorpion

Confirmed by the Brazillian voice cast Facebook page (where they listed the full credits for all characters including the ones not announced yet).

would love a poker night code!

I've been thinking for a while, that it would be nice if you guys could do a quick 3-5 minute wrap up on the forum happenings! Lurking around is sometimes not enough and I would love to be pointed in the right direction of good threads and forum stuff! Just a thought!

"if i could go back to 1998 and tell someone they could order a pizza from their game console, it would blow their mind"

-totally agree. but it's 2013. not dumb, b/c it's not required, but it feels like an app that mirrors as a pizza hut commercial.... "hey kids, lets order pizza with the kinect" (because of the novelty....and when we might not otherwise order from pizza hut).

there are phones, smartphone apps, and the internet that all allow for online ordering that doesnt require you to stop playing your game.

re: the bioshock discussion - you have legit points about the story - but some of the details you wanted more info on are in the game (if you really look/pay attention). this seems like more a critique of hiding story points in the game than how closely you watched.**
w/o these points, it does look like a popcorn movie
w/ these points, it's closer to something like an m knight movie or sci fi like looper.
good, not great.

**edit to add - i missed some too, and had to read on the internet about what exactly i saw at points....not my favorite way to play a game. lol

I think the racism in Bioshock Infinite didn't really go away. The battle between the Vox Populi and the Comstock followers was all about that.

I personally don't think the Vox was evil, I just think their leader (Daisy Fitzroy) was desperate to win the war and she was willing to kill Booker to keep his legend of being a martyr alive. I think the rest of the Vox turned on Booker only because they simply saw him and Elizabeth as the killers of their leader so they then considered them as enemies. I don't think the rest of the Vox knew Daisy wanted to kill Booker.

I would take a code for Poker Night 2.

I would love a code for poker night too. My comment is a question. If I had to F one, murder one, marry one, I believe I would marry shipwreck.

Great show! Good to hear the discussion on Injustice. The discussion on the costumes especially was great, as a friend of my boss had a hand in the art of the game. Suffice to say, DC hamstrung the artists, so that's very likely why the awesome concept art never made the game.

I'll take a copy of poker if it is available. Thanks guys!

I think all of the hosts missed a lot of the story. I doubt that Shipwreck, CheapyD, and Wombat collectively heard all of the audiologs. I think it's a fair criticism of Bioshock Infinite that the story wasn't clear, but it was tied together really well if you work to find all of the puzzle pieces. That being said, I think all of the gameplay complaints were fair and valid.

I do agree that Bioshock had better combat, but think that fans of Bioshock should definitely play Dishonored. It's a strong 'spiritual successor.'

I'm also a little bit disappointed that all of the Injustice talk was about the DC universe. I don't feel like the gameplay was ever clarified for me. I got the impression that it's simply Mortal Kombat 9 with brand new characters, I have no idea if that's correct.

I would like to be considered for a poker night code.

[quote name='shipwreck']I think I missed 2 audiologs in BioShock Infinite.[/QUOTE]
That's fair, but I would still be surprised if CheapyD and Wombat listened to any audiologs. It's a story that required a lot of focus and audiologs may not have been the best way to do that. I know i listened to most of the audiologs twice because my first listen was centered around looting/not getting shot.

What an awesome cagcast! Enjoyed all the talk on injustice and the spoiler of bioshock infinite! My 5 year old son and I have really enjoyed injustice. He is all about blackest night batman.(we have been reading the blackest night comics at night before bed). I lean toward yellow lantern Hal Jordan, which u get when you win your first ranked online match. But batman beyond is also freeking cool!! We are waiting on the arrow outfit, which supposedly I qualified for by doing the web battle they did prior to release. On a final note, DC is better than marvel go wombat!
In for poker 2 dlc

I don't think the racism in BioShock Infinite was never intended to be the main focal point of the game. You have to remember that BioShock Infinite takes place in 1901, about 38 years removed from when The Emancipation Proclamation was put into effect so heavy racism would be a natural part of that time period and hence why Lincoln was portrayed as a villainous figure in Columbia.

As for there was no skyline towards the ground or lighthouse was because Columbia was constantly moving. You actually see Columbia's flight plan when you first enter the lighthouse at the beginning of the game. Also they can use the "tears" to travel. Which you actually saw happen at the end when they finally revealed when Elizabeth as a baby, was taken by Comstock. So its easy to imagine that they use "tears" to transport any supplies to and from Columbia.

The aspect of BioShock Infinite I wish you guys touched on was the future DLC for BioShock Infinite. Because of the DLC, is BioShock Infinite the complete story as we played it. What guesses you guys have on what the 3 campaign DLC will be about. I'm guessing one will at least be about the Vox revolution.

Also I would like a chance to win a Poker Night 2 code.

[quote name='S0LIDARITY']That's fair, but I would still be surprised if CheapyD and Wombat listened to any audiologs. It's a story that required a lot of focus and audiologs may not have been the best way to do that. I know i listened to most of the audiologs twice because my first listen was centered around looting/not getting shot.[/QUOTE]

I think I missed 6 audiologs

[quote name='shipwreck']I think I missed 2 audiologs in BioShock Infinite.[/QUOTE]

Out of the three of you. I think Shipwreck had a fuller grasp of the story from the spoiler episode after listening to him discuss the game. Quantum mechanics and physics do take a certain kind of mind to fully appreciate the nuances in the frequencies of differing realities not exactly knowing what Shipwreck does on a daily basis I think he has that type of mind. With Wombat's comic pedigree I figured he would have been more on board, but there you go.

The audioblogs do indeed fill in a great deal of the story so try to find them if you can, I think I missed two myself. Without them I would have not enjoyed the game nearly as much as I did I am sure.

As a programmer working for an international company I understand the need for language translation in software. What I don't understand is why the game developer's cant work out the decision tree's etc referencing the interactions as data points and then just referencing which language the user has the game set to. Building and referencing a text library isn't tough.

And after listening to the spoilercast here and on MajorNelson's show I think Bioshock Infinite isn't the game for me so I am glad for the spoiler review.

[quote name='Wombat']I think I missed 6 audiologs[/QUOTE]
I don't doubt your collecting abilities, I suspect that you were busy looking to shoot holes in the story rather than fill in the gaps with critical listening. I'll admit it's an unfair assessment on my part, it's just that you and CheapyD don't seem to get invested in the backstory of many games.

Great show guys. As for constructive feedback, I don't have much. The balance that you three have struck seems to be at an all time high. I really think you guys shine when you make fun of each other in a way that is not mean. Good natured humor always makes me laugh and the three of you certainly know how to take a joke (especially Wombat - but then again, he gets plenty of practice). Keep up the great work and of course I'd love the free code for the 360 poker night 2 game.

I would love a Poker Night 2 code.

Ship, you really should check out Justice League. Especially the seasons where it was Justice League and not Justice League Unlimited. I never cared much for DC until that show. They really developed the characters well.

Also, I don't think anyone can call out Wombat for making questionable decisions, especially on a site called Cheapassgamer when he's just being thrifty. Besides, Shipwreck has a habit of focusing on semi-mediocre games while some awesome games remain unplayed. Case in point, I've never heard him more excited than when he was talking about Two Worlds II.

I don't think buying Halo 4 was a bad decision, he kinda missed the Tomb Raider release boat already so whatevers cheapest that's still playable. I think the bigger bad decision was buying Star Trek Cheapy >

bread's done
Back