CAGcast #322: Press X to CAGcast

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#181 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

Your Injustice talk and the insane $35 TRU sale pushed me off the fence. What a great game. From here on out I'm getting all my buying advice from Tai. Get that kid on Top Analyst, stat!

Not sure if the contest was first-come, but I'd love to give Poker Night 2 a try.

#182 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Does the reasoning behind hyper sexualizing male characters matter?

Yes? Especially since that isn't what going on there. It's not handsome dudes for the sake of sexualizing dudes, it's big powerful burly dudes for the sake of playing as a big powerful character.

#183 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

Great cast. Talk of the dc characters brings back so many memories. growing up in the 70's. I liked Marvel and Dc comics but When I would purchased a Dc comic book it was only like 17 pages.

I swear it was like getting ripped off because marvel was selling books (I think 30 plus pages for the same price.) Yeah there were more ads but at the time it really seemed like more bang for the buck.

Dc books seemed stingy. I never understood why. Also I loved captian Marvel growing up but it was only recently I found out what shazam meant. LOL

S The wisdom of Solomon;
H The strength of Hercules;
A The stamina of Atlas;
Z The power of Zeus;
A The courage of Achilles;
M The speed of Mercury.

How far have we come?

Here is the 1977 spiderman tv series intro. All the kids love him even if he had a poor mans web shooter.

Edited by gepet0, 02 May 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#184 NateWhs152

NateWhs152

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

I would like a code please,

More round table talks would be great, some of my favorite episodes are these. You all played injustice, perhaps you could do it on this game?

Great show as usual, thank you

#185 wrecktum

wrecktum

Certified Bi-Winner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hey guys, allow me to answer some of the questions or misunderstandings you has about Bioshock Infinite. WARNING, A NUMBER OF SPOILERS ON THE GAME WILL FOLLOW!

Firstly, the woman who recognized Elizabeth as Anna was in fact an assassin who was looking for Elizabeth. She wanted to confirm it was Liz and thus prompted Liz to state her name by asking her if she was "Anabelle", a name that she coincidentally chose with no actual knowledge of who she really was. This is explained in a Voxophone you can find.

I feel that the racism was dropped abruptly, I think the reason it was included to show how extremist the "patriotic" themes of the early 1900's were in Columbia. You could even go to the brotherhood that praised John Wilkes Booth and Demonized Abe Lincoln.

Lady Comstock's ghost was not in fact her ghost, but a bastardization of her "ghost" through Comstock using Elizabeth's power to fabricate a ghost-like entity that was also warped by Elizabeth's perception of Lady Comstock, whom she hated for locking her up. And Lady Comstock hated Elizabeth because she thought that Elizabeth was the bastard Child of Comstock and the Lutece woman.

The Luteces were in fact not twins, but the same person, though because they existed within different dimensions, one was able to be a female whilst the other was a male. They eventually discovered how to transcend the dimensions and therefore meet together and eventually worked for Comtsock.

The reason Comstock had to be the same person as Booker is to explain why he wanted to take Elizabeth: by traveling through tears with the help of the Luteces, the traveling took a toll on his body and made his body age more quickly and become infertile. As a result, he could not have a child, but only wanted a descendant of his blood to carry on his legacy. That is why he wanted Anna specifically.

The ending, with the child, is to insinuate that Booker went through with the baptism timeline and got drowned only. This does not eliminate the timeline in which he walks away from the Baptism and has Anna, so it's a way of showing that the timeline in which he keeps Anna still exists.

Elizabeth has her powers because her body has remnants in multiple dimensions. Her pinkie is left in one while she exists in another. A voxophone explains that this is why she has her powers, according to the female Lutece.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! I got really sucked into the universe.
Posted Image

#186 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Yes? Especially since that isn't what going on there. It's not handsome dudes for the sake of sexualizing dudes, it's big powerful burly dudes for the sake of playing as a big powerful character.

So then as long as Hyper sexualized female characters are aimed at females it's ok.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#187 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

May 21st: New Xbox reveal via live streaming on your 360. Immediately followed by Announcement of EOL Server Shutdown of the current Xbox Live infrastructure. Viva la Progress!!!
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#188 ZmanGold3000

ZmanGold3000

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

great show. listened to it while the car ride from NY to PA for my move. poker night 2 codes still up for grabs?!?

#189 oxidative

oxidative

last chance to evacuate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels a little off about Bioshock Infinite. I want to really like it but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I think my biggest problem, which makes me wonder if this is "user error" since it wasn't mentioned on the CAGcast, is the save system that hates the player. The checkpoints are waaaay to spread out. Sometimes I only have 20 minutes to play and a couple of times, I've lost all 20 minutes due to the crappy save system. Sometimes, and GOD FORBID, I like to play a section over to see how I can do better or different. I just don't understand why game designers feel this sick need to PUNISH the gamer for having other obligations in life. It's just stupid and insulting. I think that's the main reason I haven't finished the game yet. I just don't want to play it because I'm nervous I'll lose a bunch of progress.

Maybe I was spoiled by the Tomb Raider save system. That was brilliant. I don't mind losing a bit of progress along the story, it's losing the progress of collectibles that's annoying. Tomb Raider was specifically designed to be absolutely certain you would never have to re-find a collectible. Brilliant.

I will be delighted when Wombat picks me to receive Poker Night 2. I'll even pretend I like that recent picture of him in a beret/gigantic yamaka.

#190 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

So then as long as Hyper sexualized female characters are aimed at females it's ok.

It's not OK that women are culturally programmed to see value as attraction in entities they identify with/as, just as it's not OK that men are similarly programmed to recognize strength as value.

This is the problem of gender conformity.

#191 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's not OK that women are culturally programmed to see value as attraction in entities they identify with/as, just as it's not OK that men are similarly programmed to recognize strength as value.

This is the problem of gender conformity.

Well Volt1up seems to disagree with you then.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

#192 joyce_181502

joyce_181502

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Note wrecktum662 that you can use the Advanced Message Post to mark text as spoilers or use [SPOILER ] remove the spaces in-between the brackets[/ SPOILER]

That said, regarding your prior post
Spoiler

I did find it funny towards the end of the spoilercast that they mentioned a desire for a simpler story and basically described the story of Bioshock 2 (which apparently everyone but me hated).

#193 52club

52club

This ain't intramurals!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Finished infinite this morning...not my type of game, but still interesting. I think the player one podcast spoiler show is a good one to listen to as a bit of a contrast to the cagcast. It points out that infinite's effect on you might depend on what you bring to the game. Since Wombat and crew brought something else to the game it just didn't have the same effect.
Space for Rent:lol:

#194 io

io

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels a little off about Bioshock Infinite. I want to really like it but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I think my biggest problem, which makes me wonder if this is "user error" since it wasn't mentioned on the CAGcast, is the save system that hates the player. The checkpoints are waaaay to spread out. Sometimes I only have 20 minutes to play and a couple of times, I've lost all 20 minutes due to the crappy save system. Sometimes, and GOD FORBID, I like to play a section over to see how I can do better or different. I just don't understand why game designers feel this sick need to PUNISH the gamer for having other obligations in life. It's just stupid and insulting. I think that's the main reason I haven't finished the game yet. I just don't want to play it because I'm nervous I'll lose a bunch of progress.

Maybe I was spoiled by the Tomb Raider save system. That was brilliant. I don't mind losing a bit of progress along the story, it's losing the progress of collectibles that's annoying. Tomb Raider was specifically designed to be absolutely certain you would never have to re-find a collectible. Brilliant.

I will be delighted when Wombat picks me to receive Poker Night 2. I'll even pretend I like that recent picture of him in a beret/gigantic yamaka.

I'm by no means a pro or even decent player and I don't even remember how the Bioshock Infinite checkpoint system worked - and I just played it last week. My point is that I don't ever remember it being an issue. The only super-hard part is the last big battle and there is definitely a checkpoint right before that. Yeah, the actual save spots seem to be pretty far apart, but those aren't the same as the checkpoints. I remember dying randomly a few times and always being right back where I was when I died - no progress was ever lost.

Or are you just talking about having to quit playing and not having hit a save point yet? I guess that would be annoying (especially since the first Bioshock let you save any time) - but I would never even bother firing up a game like this if I only had 20 minutes to play anyway so I usually passed many, many save points in a given game session. Plus, it seemed like it was autosaving pretty frequently as well.

#195 oxidative

oxidative

last chance to evacuate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Or are you just talking about having to quit playing and not having hit a save point yet? I guess that would be annoying (especially since the first Bioshock let you save any time) - but I would never even bother firing up a game like this if I only had 20 minutes to play anyway so I usually passed many, many save points in a given game session. Plus, it seemed like it was autosaving pretty frequently as well.

I realize how I could have been clearer. Dying was fine, even though you did get punished for it. I'm talking about having to quit and come back to the game. Also, reloading a checkpoint, because I didn't like how something turned out or was afraid I missed something, often set me back 20 minutes or so. I'm totally willing to accept that this is more of an issue for me but I don't think it's one that couldn't be addressed with some more thoughtful game design.

#196 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I was disappointed by the Bioshock Spoilercast. I am a longtime listener of the CAGCAST and was very excited about hearing you all discuss Bioshock Infinite. I loved the story of the game but most of my friend's are too stupid to follow it or didn't care.
So this was my chance to hear some real ideas from other people that aren't typed up in forums and blogs.

Well as it turns out Wombat didn't pay close enough attention to understand the story and Cheapy didn't care enough to pay attention, so I was left trying to hear what Boatcrash had to say in between the two of you ranting about how you didn't care or didn't understand.

Also Wombat, in my opinion, racism in Columbia wasn't a plot point it was a theme. So it was not dropped because it wasn't really relevant to the story to begin with. It was a class war between the Vox and the Founders. I really disliked how everything you didn't take the time to think about or search for answers within the game you just concluded was a plot hole. I've thought a lot about this game and do not see any glaring plot holes, there are a few points I don't fully understand but the resolution of the game works and makes the whole game work.

I recommend anyone who is convinced the game is riddled with "plot-holes" to open their mind and read this article: http://venturebeat.c...ation/view-all/ If you were missing some puzzle piece this article will help you figure it out. (this article is about the ending of the game so obvious spoilers)

I will look forward to next weeks cagcast. I might even hear wombat read part of this post in his "this guy is such a dumbass" voice that he always reads his criticism in :)

+1

Also very disappointed with their BI discussion. No mention of the multiple light houses, no real attempt to understand what Levine was trying to say through the game. Gameplay criticism is fair, a game is fun or its not. perhaps next time they should ask the audience to submit questions for discussion in hopes that the next spoiler discussion is more balanced.

#197 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

No and that dosen't even make sense.I never said it was okay but you have to at least understand that it's different. A male armored hulk character is not the same as a female character with huge breasts and revealing outfits. And I don't mean "oh it's different so it's okay" I mean one thing is clearly meant to be sexual the other is clearly not.

#198 io

io

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

I realize how I could have been clearer. Dying was fine, even though you did get punished for it. I'm talking about having to quit and come back to the game. Also, reloading a checkpoint, because I didn't like how something turned out or was afraid I missed something, often set me back 20 minutes or so. I'm totally willing to accept that this is more of an issue for me but I don't think it's one that couldn't be addressed with some more thoughtful game design.

Gotcha - I guess I never experienced that as I never reloaded a checkpoint and since I only had 4 or 5 days to play the game I spent hours on it at a time ;).

BTW, I am liking the original Bioshock a little more now that I've gotten further in. I kind of still don't like the constant (and apparently respawning) combat. I would like to be able to explore on occasion without being attacked like in Infinite. But I do like the multiple tonic slots and upgrades that are available.

#199 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

No and that dosen't even make sense.I never said it was okay but you have to at least understand that it's different. A male armored hulk character is not the same as a female character with huge breasts and revealing outfits. And I don't mean "oh it's different so it's okay" I mean one thing is clearly meant to be sexual the other is clearly not.

Both character types are meant to be sexually attractive, whether it's what you want to look like or what you want the person your fucking to look like doesn't seem to be very different.

#200 fableflav

fableflav

Movie Review Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I feel like with Bioshock Infinite you guys got too caught up in the flaky crust to enjoy the delicious pie center.

I think it's the lack of understanding about the main theme of the story. The game is entirely about booker/comstock. The racism was a subplot, and it's not like it went away, the city dissolved into war (little busy trying to not die to be racist, also they were in an alternate universe by then.) The Vox Populi turning out to be shitty also doesn't attempt to justify Columbia's racism.

Your desire to want to dumb down the story so it makes sense without observing the backstory makes little to no sense to me.

Though I can totally understand how the nuances and understanding can/will be totally lost if you aren't paying attention.

You guys complained about the story without seemingly understanding half of it.

#201 fableflav

fableflav

Movie Review Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Also, Lady Comstock wasn't a traditional "ghost" she was an entity of her from a universe in which she was still alive mixed with Elizabeth's feelings for her. They very clearly address that at the end of the boss fight.

#202 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

I don't want to read through the thread in fear of Bioshock spoilers but can someone tell me the name of the videogame used in the intro mix song? I know the game I just can't remember and its bothering me.
Follow me, @Calinks3 Twitter to talk Games, MMA, TV

#203 beard_of_zeus

beard_of_zeus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I had seen Riptide at PAX so I had a better idea what it was. I never got very deep into Dragon's Dogma when it came out originally, so I wasn't up to date on exactly what Dark Arisen was.

Ah, I see. Wasn't originally sure if it was dismissiveness or just not knowing on your part, which is why I pointed it out. Thanks for the response. I'm just so used to you being knowledgeable about all video games ever, Shipwreck. ;)

I never got too far into Dogma either, trying to decide if it would be worth upgrading to Dark Arisen and giving it another shot or not.
Posted Image

#204 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Wow. That 70s American Spider-Man show made the Japanese one look super amazing.

At least in the Japanese version, Spider-Man had white eyes on the costume. And they had him fighting while hanging from buildings, jumping off every wall, and throwing enemies off buildings.

Batsugunner.png

#205 Caffeinefree

Caffeinefree

General CAG of Mystery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Can I get a Poker Night code PLEESE! And about the constructive thing, DID YOU KNOW: Pigs have orgasms that last 30 minutes! FFFUN FFFACKT!

Follow me on Twitter I am @ThatWayneO! I post game deals, comedy, and the best darn YouTube links money can buy. If you want your feed rocked, then HERE I AM!

#206 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

I don't want to read through the thread in fear of Bioshock spoilers but can someone tell me the name of the videogame used in the intro mix song? I know the game I just can't remember and its bothering me.

In the OP: "Intro/Outro: Let's Get SPunky - EOWXXX / GI JOE PSA"

Google says: "A magical trip through Miami Bass, Ghettotech, Chip Tunes, Hip-hop, Bmore, Jungle, 80's J-Pop and the theme tune from Space Harrier... and thats just the tip of the iceberg........"

Sounds like Space Harrier

#207 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Yes Space harrier! I would have never remembered that on my own. Thanks!
Follow me, @Calinks3 Twitter to talk Games, MMA, TV

#208 kuddles

kuddles

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

This podcast just reaffirmed for me that my taste and the taste of the guys on the show do not line up. I loved the narrative of BioShock: Infinite, especially how you had to pay close attention to figure everything else, and I personally thought the combat was way more interesting than in the original game.

Meanwhile, I just finished Tomb Raider and felt it was just above average, with the exception of the story which is horrendously bad. Don't understand why they are praising it so much when to me it felt like going through the motions of gameplay that was never bad but never anything special. (The exception being the interesting tomb puzzles but that amounted to 34 minutes tops.)