Looking to get my first credit card.

Ivajosh

CAGiversary!
I'm an avid gamer and get most of my games through Best Buy and I purchase a lot of stuff off amazon (eg: books, yugioh card sleeves, just little things I think I'll need). Anyone have an Amazon Credit Card and recommend it? I don't spend money I don't have, but the point system on the card sounds pretty good especially double dipping through purchasing at Best Buy. =] Any advice would be great, I'm 22 and have a stable job and a salary. I'll keep track of the topic since I'm at work at the moment so I'll be afk for a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Amazon card, all I can say is that they have a really high APR so make sure you pay it off monthly. Other than that, it is really easy to shop with your points, it will tell you at checkout and give you the option to select them.

Do you know what your credit history is like, or do you even have a credit history (auto loans, mortgage, student loans, etc.)?

If your credit history is lacking in any way, you might have difficulty getting a good card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']Do you know what you're credit history is like, or do you even have a credit history (auto loans, mortgage, student loans, etc.)?

If your credit history is lacking in any way, you might have difficulty getting a good card.[/QUOTE]
This, I'm 20 and I've tried getting a credit card also and have been rejected many time. I make a fairly decent amount given my age but I still can't qualify ha. I've tried Best Buy, Sears, JCPenny, Amazon, ect. I'm just going to get a secured card from my bank to establish some credit and take it from there.

[quote name='trollape74']This, I'm 20 and I've tried getting a credit card also and have been rejected many time. I make a fairly decent amount given my age but I still can't qualify ha. I've tried Best Buy, Sears, JCPenny, Amazon, ect. I'm just going to get a secured card from my bank to establish some credit and take it from there.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you mean man. I've tried from Best Buy, Amazon, and even from my bank. But sadly they all said no. But I was told to do the secured card then hopefully after building some credit apply again. Let's build some credit!! :D

Sucks even your bank won't give you on, I got my first one through them after my first job. I applied for the Amazon one awhile back actually and never heard from them yet I just applied to 3 others last week and got them.

[quote name='Navex']Sucks even your bank won't give you on, I got my first one through them after my first job. I applied for the Amazon one awhile back actually and never heard from them yet I just applied to 3 others last week and got them.[/QUOTE]

Getting a lot of cards in a short period is a good way to hurt your credit score, even if you don't use them.

SMH, I'm 24 now. So I got my (one and only) credit card at about your guy's ages, PRE-BANK BAILOUT, and it was so EASY lmfao.

Captial One was just like sure, you have no credit history, here have a card with a $500 limit.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']SMH, I'm 24 now. So I got my (one and only) credit card at about your guy's ages, PRE-BANK BAILOUT, and it was so EASY lmfao.

Captial One was just like sure, you have no credit history, here have a card with a $500 limit.[/QUOTE]

I'm 24 and have 5 credit cards including AX, got my first at 17 all without having a job lol back before the credit card reform act

Try to get a card under ur parent name first. And wait like a year. So u can get some credit. That how I got my citi card American airline card. If u keep on apply and being reject u will mess up ur credit.

[quote name='trollape74']This, I'm 20 and I've tried getting a credit card also and have been rejected many time. I make a fairly decent amount given my age but I still can't qualify ha. I've tried Best Buy, Sears, JCPenny, Amazon, ect. I'm just going to get a secured card from my bank to establish some credit and take it from there.[/QUOTE]

I think you need to be 21 now to get an unsecured credit card. When I first started college in 2004, they were literally handing credit cards out to people outside Blimpies in exchange for free sandwiches. Too many people get in trouble doing this however, so they made it against the law. I lucked out in that I was smart with the card I got in exchange for the sandwich and built up my credit, and now I have no trouble at all getting credit. I have like four cards now, and I pay them down to zero every month.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']I'm 24 and have 5 credit cards including AX, got my first at 17 all without having a job lol back before the credit card reform act[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']SMH, I'm 24 now. So I got my (one and only) credit card at about your guy's ages, PRE-BANK BAILOUT, and it was so EASY lmfao.

Captial One was just like sure, you have no credit history, here have a card with a $500 limit.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty much in the same boat. No job, and no credit history, but I got it.
They were offering $25 in Amazon credit, so I applied.
I love my card. It's 1% cash back for regular purchases 2% for [I forgot] and 3% for Amazon purchases. The $25 rewards limit was removed, so I can apply my rewards to my Amazon purchases whenever I want.

[quote name='Bxnextel']Try to get a card under ur parent name first. And wait like a year. So u can get some credit. That how I got my citi card American airline card. If u keep on apply and being reject u will mess up ur credit.[/QUOTE] This is what my Dad did for me back when I was 18. Got me a laptop for school as a graduation gift, but did it with a Best Buy credit card that he put in my name and cosigned the application. 8 years later (plus various other decisions) great credit!

My advice, don't get one. If I had all the money I spent on interest & crap I bought on credit cards when I was your age my house would have been paid off already. I fell into the myth that credit cards & car loans were a "necessary evil". I highly recommend checking out www.daveramsey.com, wished someone would have told me about him earlier in life.

And before I get flamed, if you pay off your balances monthly to earn points/cashback/t-shirts/beer coozies I applaud your restraint. I've played with those snakes and lost big, don't want anyone else to fall into the trap... (pay cash for everything, 2 good-running paid-for cars, emergency fund, only owe on the house and that will be paid off in 5-7 years)

[quote name='Javansdaddy']My advice, don't get one. If I had all the money I spent on interest & crap I bought on credit cards when I was your age my house would have been paid off already. I fell into the myth that credit cards & car loans were a "necessary evil". I highly recommend checking out www.daveramsey.com, wished someone would have told me about him earlier in life.

And before I get flamed, if you pay off your balances monthly to earn points/cashback/t-shirts/beer coozies I applaud your restraint. I've played with those snakes and lost big, don't want anyone else to fall into the trap... (pay cash for everything, 2 good-running paid-for cars, emergency fund, only owe on the house and that will be paid off in 5-7 years)[/QUOTE]

If you eschew getting credit cards or any sort of credit, you will never be able to build your credit score, which is going to seriously bite you in the ass when it comes to buying a house, a car, getting an apartment, even getting a job in some cases. Bad idea.

Ooh ill look into it then. Ive spent at least 500 bucks on amazon this year not including Amazon Prime. I'll apply with the $25 offer. :D If I get rejected I'll get a secure card.

If you're looking to build credit then go to a credit union and get a secured card. You give them $200-500 and that will be your credit limit.....pay it off every month.
Do this for a year and you'll be in good standing, be smart about it don't put too many things on the card. Once a year is up look for a card with a low APR, get a new card and keep the secured card for small things and building positive credit.

Have 2-3 cards max...small buys and paying off every month is the key. Keep one card (with a good limit) as a safety net, just in case something bad comes up.

Another option is to look at student credit cards. I applied and was accepted to get a CITI Forward card as I believe it is marketed towards students with little/no credit history. I got it with no credit history when I was 20. I'm sure the APR is (very) high but I don't know what it is since I make sure to pay it in full every month.

[quote name='PJV9126']Another option is to look at student credit cards. I applied and was accepted to get a CITI Forward card as I believe it is marketed towards students with little/no credit history. I got it with no credit history when I was 20. I'm sure the APR is (very) high but I don't know what it is since I make sure to pay it in full every month.[/QUOTE]

My first credit card was a Chase student credit card.

I was 18 when I got it and they gave me a $5,000 limit.

I had no idea the limit was huge until people started asking me what it was

[quote name='Envel']My first credit card was a Chase student credit card.

I was 18 when I got it and they gave me a $5,000 limit.

I had no idea the limit was huge until people started asking me what it was[/QUOTE]

That's fucking ridiculous! When was this? Maybe you had a linked account to a family member?

A cousin got a Chase one a few years ago and the limit was around $200!

I got a regular credit card (and debit) through Chase (first card ever) when I was the same age but the lady told me as I had x amount saved I qualified for a normal cc. My limit was around $800-1.2k. It increased to 2 then 3k in no time then around 5 and I stopped using it and got a freedom that's around 7 atm.

The funny thing is, my cousin got talked into getting the student card. He probably would have qualified for a real one and received a higher limit than I did. He also had more money in his account than I did when I got my normal card.

bread's done
Back