Costco ~ Studio Ghibli~ Various DVD's ~$12.99~

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

I was making the rounds at Costco earlier today and came across a ton of Studio Ghibli films for $12.99. I borrowed this list from adrian42677 on Blu-Ray.com. I figured a few of you might be interested whether it was blu-ray or not.

Castle In The Sky - $12.99
The Cat Returns - $12.99
Howl's Moving Castle - $12.99
Kiki's Delivery Service - $12.99
My Neighbor Totoro - $12.99
My Neighbors The Yamadas - $12.99
NausicaƤ Of The Valley Of The Wind - $12.99
Ponyo - $12.99
Porco Rosso - $12.99
Spirited Away - $12.99
Tales From Earthsea - $12.99
Whisper Of The Heart - $12.99

#2 J7.

J7.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

I saw these today. Which are the best ones?

#3 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:08 AM

Castle in the Sky, Totoro, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Kiki, and Naussica are all good. Though really, you can't go wrong with any of them.

#4 Sycowulf

Sycowulf

Somewhat Damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

At this point I actually have to say I think Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite... shame these aren't blus.

Still a great price though

#5 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

:D Grave of the Fireflies....... Its an upbeat romp....

Spoiler

Edited by Dragonsbane, 03 May 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#6 J7.

J7.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

At this point I actually have to say I think Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite... shame these aren't blus.

Still a great price though

I thought they were Blurays when I saw them today, but I guess I must've thought that because of the slipcovers. I swear they were Blurays. Oh well.

#7 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah these movies have very blu-ray-esque cases, it's fooled me more than once.

Speaking of which, yeah...these are great deals but these movies deserve blu-ray. It's just a shame that it'll take so long (and cost so much) for that to finally happen.

I saw these today. Which are the best ones?

Start with anything directed by (Hayao) Miyazaki, the rest are good but can't compare. Spirited Away is probably the best place to jump in.
76561197996844513.png

#8 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Don't forget that Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on BD sometime later this year, and they should be combo releases.

Grave Of The Fireflies is also available on BD, though that came out a few months ago. Ponyo and Nausciaa are older BD releases as well.

#9 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Just being technical, but Grave of the Fireflies is currently licensed by Sentai Filmworks, not Disney, so you won't find it at Costco.

#10 grassmonk

grassmonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Don't forget that Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on BD sometime later this year, and they should be combo releases..

They're coming out May 21.

#11 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Just in case anyone's wondering here's every Ghibli film released on Blu-Ray in the US.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
(non-Disney as noted above)
My Neighbour Totoro
(out this month)
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
(out this month)
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Secret World of Arriety

The latest, From Up on Poppy Hill, should also be out this year, having just had a theatrical run in March. Also, Miyazaki's earlier The Castle of Cagliostro was released on :br: in the UK.
76561197996844513.png

#12 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Not Ghibli, but Costco has a sale on Disney movies. $5 off Wreck-it Ralph, Aristocats, Dumbo, Rescuers, and Tangled DVD. $8 off Cinderella, Peter Pan, Fox and the Hound, Wreck-it Ralph 3D, and Frankenweenie 3D Blu-rays.

#13 cagfansub

cagfansub

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

I looking for From Up on Poppy Hill. Wondering if anyone knows where to find this?

#14 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

I looking for From Up on Poppy Hill. Wondering if anyone knows where to find this?

Japanese theaters.

#15 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Don't forget that Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on BD sometime later this year, and they should be combo releases.

Grave Of The Fireflies is also available on BD, though that came out a few months ago. Ponyo and Nausciaa are older BD releases as well.

You just made me look at my order, and I have them at $30 a piece, and rethinking it now lol

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#16 skullflame

skullflame

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Japanese theaters.

And American theaters.

https://www.facebook.com/PoppyHillUSA
Lists current locations showing the film.