44% of Republicans Believe "Armed Revolution is Necessary"

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#31 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yes but that doesn't tell me what I want to know.

Which is precisely why you're so pitifully assailing the methodology, yes?

;) Oh, you meant the above quote in a different way. Right. Well. Hmm.

Also, you're going to joke about Farleigh Dickinson as a less-than-prestigious college (and that, therefore, should be a market of the authority behind research? Someone should tell the students who turned over Reinhart-Rogoff; those two are from Columbia, so by your standard, they must be right!)...but you're going to slyly treat the survey's validity as questionable because of the college it came from...and your citation to compete with that is "about.com."

Just checking to make sure that's the direction you'd like to go here. You can have a mulligan if you like. I think you should take it.
Posted Image

#32 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

When do sources matter? When the information is against your point of view. Then, the source is racist. And so are you.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#33 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Which is precisely why you're so pitifully assailing the methodology, yes?

;) Oh, you meant the above quote in a different way. Right. Well. Hmm.

Also, you're going to joke about Farleigh Dickinson as a less-than-prestigious college (and that, therefore, should be a market of the authority behind research? Someone should tell the students who turned over Reinhart-Rogoff; those two are from Columbia, so by your standard, they must be right!)...but you're going to slyly treat the survey's validity as questionable because of the college it came from...and your citation to compete with that is "about.com."

Just checking to make sure that's the direction you'd like to go here. You can have a mulligan if you like. I think you should take it.

I don't have their data.

But based on their sample size and the default level of confidence they used (95% is the most common) their margin of error is also correct.

But that doesn't tell me anything.

What does tell me something is nowhere in that wonderful article you linked does it mention WHAT QUESTIONS WERE ASKED TO THE POLL AUDIENCE.

Edit: Just because the study says:

Nearly three-quarters (73%) of Democrats say that Congress
needs to pass new laws to protect the public from gun violence, but the views of Republicans
are almost completely opposite: 65 percent don’t think new laws are necessary. Overall,
registered voters are divided over the need for new gun control legislation. Fifty percent
agree it is needed, with 39 percent who disagree.

Doesn't mean the target audience was asked:

"Does Congress need to pass new laws to protect the public from gun violence" or "Does their need to be new gun control legislation".

That is not how "most" of these studies work.

#34 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I don't have their data.

But based on their sample size and the default level of confidence they used (95% is the most common) their margin of error is also correct.

But that doesn't tell me anything.

What does tell me something is nowhere in that wonderful article you linked does it mention WHAT QUESTIONS WERE ASKED TO THE POLL AUDIENCE.

Edit: Just because the study says:

Doesn't mean the target audience was asked:

"Does Congress need to pass new laws to protect the public from gun violence" or "Does their need to be new gun control legislation".

That is not how "most" of these studies work.

They have their email listed, I'm sure you can contact them and ask for the exact questions.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#35 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Spoiler

Posted Image

#36 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Spoiler

Thank you. I have no idea why I thought my .pdf ended at page 3.

Edit:

So 1/3 of the people polled lived in the south and 60% of the people polled were 45 years of age or older?

Edit2: I guess the only other thing that would be telling is what time were the called made (Let me guess: Mid afternoon during the workweek?).

Edited by GBAstar, 03 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#37 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Most phone survey methodologies avoid those kinds of mistakes, but landline surveys skew older (younger folks are far less likely to have a landline telephone, as I'm sure you know). They did a small cell phone sample to buttress the survey, yeah?

I don't know population density off the top of my head, so I can't critique if 1/3 are southern.
Posted Image

#38 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Most phone survey methodologies avoid those kinds of mistakes, but landline surveys skew older (younger folks are far less likely to have a landline telephone, as I'm sure you know). They did a small cell phone sample to buttress the survey, yeah?

I don't know population density off the top of my head, so I can't critique if 1/3 are southern.

Let me start by saying I really wish I had know the .pdf went on for another three pages. Also I change my thoughts a little knowing it was a CATI survey.

In a perfect world CATI surveys take out human bias (whether intentional or not) in the selection process. I think it's odd that they're still being used, more so if random polling of 863 people showed that 60% of those targeted were 45 years of age or older and ~ 33% lived in the South.

I don't know if that tells me that the selection process was flawed (surely those numbers aren't in line with averages) or that if the South has a lot of landline phones still being used compared to the rest of the country.

#39 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Let me start by saying I really wish I had know the .pdf went on for another three pages. Also I change my thoughts a little knowing it was a CATI survey.

No worries, everyone slips up. I appreciate your ownership, that's big of you and something that is all too rare in online debates.
Posted Image

#40 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

http://thinkprogress...arch/?mobile=nc

I can't wait to hear about how this march was cancelled due to "bad weather", or even better how over 900 people got arrested for openly breaking DC's No Open Carry law.

#41 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Wait - protesters breaking the law as a symbol of their protest? That sounds almost familiar... like 99% of the way familiar...
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#42 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

"Both sides do it too robble robble!"

Explain to me how a bunch of people participating in what basically amounted to a extended sit-in is the same as a bunch of people openly committing a felony by brandishing loaded weapons and marching through the nation's capital with an implied "or else" message to the government.

Edited by Purple Flames, 06 May 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#43 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

http://thinkprogress...arch/?mobile=nc

I can't wait to hear about how this march was cancelled due to "bad weather", or even better how over 900 people got arrested for openly breaking DC's No Open Carry law.

Hey guys, here's a totally safe, not-crazy protest idea that make us seem totally reasonable!

Jesus christ, these people.
Posted Image

#44 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

This guy was probably one of the 44%

#45 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

Explain to me how a bunch of people participating in what basically amounted to a extended sit-in is the same as a bunch of people openly committing a felony by brandishing loaded weapons and marching through the nation's capital with an implied "or else" message to the government.

The group brandishing loaded weapons is probably going to behave better than the animals at Occupy, if past Tea Party-like protests are any indication.

#46 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

I still haven't gotten the explanation I asked for.

#47 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Always remember that an Angry White Man's liberty is more important than the lives of your children, your parents, your siblings, your brothers and sisters from another mother, and you. I'm not surprised by that this article exists anyway, though I wonder if the samplers are disappointed that the 36% of those who want an armed revolution (ie treason) isn't big enough.

Batsugunner.png

#48 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Angry White Man's liberty?

#49 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Angry White Man's liberty?

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaaaaa.....how can we trust any media these days? Gov't BY the uninformed and misinformed people, FOR the complacent and American Idol addled people....
http://www.breitbart...ctively-Editing

Did they really take a clip from Biden's Benghazi Memorial speech and twist it to reference gun control?

http://www.breitbart...-News-President

Here's forum fav, Breitbart's take on MSNBC's "news". It seems they are trying to outfox FOX at manufacturing the news.

Edited by egofed, 06 May 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#50 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

oh nos! they ignored the fact that he was black. forgot that you guys love your token blacks

Posted Image

#51 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

what in the world is going on in here?
Posted Image

#52 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

what in the world is going on in here?

Breitbart is now a legitimate news source and less biased than Fox and MSNBC. Have a nice day.:lol:
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#53 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

oh nos! they ignored the fact that he was black. forgot that you guys love your token blacks

Posted Image

Uhhhh, you did watch the whole video, right? They relate the incident to racism and very probable assassination attempts on Obama. You don't see this as poor news casting?

#54 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Breitbart is now a legitimate news source and less biased than Fox and MSNBC. Have a nice day.:lol:

Amazing how right-wing assholes still cite this this KNOWN fraud Breitbart and O'Kweefe when everyone knows that ACORN video was revealed as fraudulent in court. This wasn't just a shoddy edit job, it was staged. Same crap as Shirley Sherrod fake "controversy."

Andrew Breitbart and James O'Keefe Ruined Him, and Now He Gets $100,000
Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell

#55 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

"Both sides do it too robble robble!" HAhahahahahahahahahaa.....Are you guys saying that MSNBC didn't air these clips like this? Both FOX and MSNBC have been caught doctoring clips to match their bias. It just seems like MSNBC has been getting caught more often.;) Please post a link to info disproving these awful bias based editing jobs. Thanks.

#56 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

"Both sides do it too robble robble!" HAhahahahahahahahahaa.....Are you guys saying that MSNBC didn't air these clips like this? Both FOX and MSNBC have been caught doctoring clips to match their bias. It just seems like MSNBC has been getting caught more often.;) Please post a link to info disproving these awful bias based editing jobs. Thanks.

WHY would you source breitbart? That's not a "source" one would brag about or claim to use. Do you know about all the outright fraud he's committed?

#57 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

http://www.mediaite....den-gun-speech/

MSNBC Forced To Apologize After Misleading Edit Of Biden Benghazi Speech

by Josh Feldman | 11:48 pm, May 3rd, 2013 videos » 216 comments

Posted ImageMSNBC’s saga of high-profile video editing blunders continues, as earlier Friday host Thomas Roberts aired a clip of Vice President Joe Biden at a memorial service and plaque dedication for Americans who died in the attack last September in Benghazi. Thomas aired a portion of the clip in which Biden mentioned children pre-deceasing their parents, but Roberts claimed this was in the midst of remarks Biden made about gun control. The error forced an apology from MSNBC host Touré later in the day.

During his speech at the State Department, Biden made the following remarks.

“No child should predecease their parents. I wish I could tell you we aren’t going to add any more names with this wall. I wish I could say that with certainty, but the truth of the matter is, there will be more. There will be more.”

Immediately after airing that, Roberts commented, “That was Vice President Biden just a short time ago talking about children as the victims of gun violence.” The remarks were part of a speech remembering those Americans who died in Benghazi last year, as highlighted by The National Review.
Watch the edited video that aired on MSNBC, followed by the CSPAN version of the video, with more context added:
Later in the day, during The Cycle, Touré issued a formal apology on behalf of the network, saying the oversight was a “producer error.”

Did breitbart kidnap Toure and force him to make this apology.... or maybe they have a look alike on payroll? Hehehehehheheheheeheheheeeeeeeeeeee....

#58 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

WHY would you source breitbart? That's not a "source" one would brag about or claim to use. Do you know about all the outright fraud he's committed?

So I guess you guys will never use MSNBC as a source again? Right? Saying you will never read another news agency who has lied is kind of like being Rain Man when it comes to airlines....

#59 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Always remember that an Angry White Man's liberty is more important than the lives of your children, your parents, your siblings, your brothers and sisters from another mother, and you. I'm not surprised by that this article exists anyway, though I wonder if the samplers are disappointed that the 36% of those who want an armed revolution (ie treason) isn't big enough.

That's precisely how you market yourself in the talk radio market in an attempt to go from being a 2 bit local radio program in Minnesota starring a no-name and a failed Governor candidate to national syndication. See also: Jason Lewis

#60 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

So I guess you guys will never use MSNBC as a source again? Right? Saying you will never read another news agency who has lied is kind of like being Rain Man when it comes to airlines....

Ummm... I didn't cite MSNBC. I don't think anyone here has. So, you are the only guilty one here, citing Breitbart. So, how do you answer to the charges of citing a fraud? GUILTY!
Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell