Photo
- - - - -

If the new Xbox is online only, will you buy it?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

but that's not the most common case. 70-80% of all 360s are connected to the Internet.

Are they? The last stat I saw was last January where 40 million of 66 million signed up an account, but not necessarily who were active Live users. That's only about 61%. Now they have about 77 million, but I haven't seen a more recent Live userbase count. Did they release new numbers or are they also counting those who are connected online, but don't have Live?

#62 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Regardless of set of numbers, you're still talking about at least 20-30% of the 360 market not being connected if dirtyvu's numbers are right.

Hard to see MS telling 20%+ of their current market to go pound sand and turn away all that potential money in hardware and software sales.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#63 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm not sure yet as I might try to stick with 1 console next gen (PS4 or XBOX NEXT) but I'm surprised at how there is so much love for used games. It seems like new games drop so fast these days. I've probably gotten better deals on new games than I have buying used. To be honest I don't ever really buy used anyway unless it's so cheap I can't pass.

I seldom buy used games. But I also almost never replay games nor am I a collector so I sell most games on Amazon right after beating them.

I'd hate to lose that way to recoup cash and be stuck with disc games I can do nothing with but toss in recycling or something.

Digital games get rid of the latter part of that problem, but we just haven't seen Steam type sales on Xbox or PS3 download version of full/disc games--or even really the XBLA titles. If prices fall to that level in sales I'd be fine with it.

I don't mind paying $5-10, or even up to $20, for a digital game I'll play once and never touch again. $30-40+ and there are few that are worth paying that for to me. And pretty much none at the $50-60 price point.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#64 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Regardless of set of numbers, you're still talking about at least 20-30% of the 360 market not being connected if dirtyvu's numbers are right.

Hard to see MS telling 20%+ of their current market to go pound sand and turn away all that potential money in hardware and software sales.

It wouldn't make much sense, but Microsoft has done a lot of questionable things. I think there's a chance they won't, but a nagging thought in my head is saying they think they'll recoup the cost with those purchasing it solely for a media box and not a game console, and on those who may purchase it with a contract (if they have that model) even if they don't have an online connection.

Then if they ditch points and go with a $ system, those point cards sales will go on sale as much as PSN cards do, so basically non-existent making them even more money. Even more so if they increase the price of Live which is entirely possible.

So while giving the finger to a chunk of their customers seems like a poor decision, they may think it's worth it if they can trick or manipulate the sales elsewhere.

#65 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

They are overhauling it. Did you not pay attention to their media event? That was one of their main focal points.

yes overhaul = stupid sharing stuff and facebook and what not. unless they get better servers it's not a overhaul. i can down load a demo of a game that is like 2 gb on xbox in like 10 mins on ps3 for same size of file it takes 40 mins if not more.

#66 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

I've probably gotten better deals on new games than I have buying used. To be honest I don't ever really buy used anyway unless it's so cheap I can't pass.

The only used games I buy are from Gamefly. I would hate to lose those deals. Actually occasionally from Amazon Warehouse Deals too. These are (usually) better than the best new deal, often by a wide margin (just got Transformers Fall of Cybertron for $15 and change from GF) and I've always gotten games in great shape, especially from Gamefly.

This is me as well, usually after waiting a bit picking up the new game for $40 or less from Amazon/Best Buy/Newegg and $10 used games at Gamefly.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378