Knights of Pen and Paper is free again if you missed it the last time

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1622 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't even like card games ... And yet Hearthstone is addicting as hell. I think it's the mix of WoW+card game that works for me ... plus Blizzard always wins me over with the high production values.

#1623 Branyon47

Branyon47

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Knights of Pen and Paper is free again if you missed it the last time

Thanks for this, skipped it in the humble pc and android bundle.

#1624 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ok... a couple of things...

IAPs via Apple are about $5 bucks more than if you buy the same thing on the PC.  Buy it on PC if you have the chance.

Do your tutorials for the extra 10-20 cards.  Get your characters to lvl 10.  Each class plays now like it'll play later.  The card combos are a bit different but the idea is the same.

Don't sweat losing.  The starter decks are great to learn on.  And they do win quite a bit.  The game is good about putting similar people together.

#1625 ltrain23

ltrain23

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

IAPs via Apple are about $5 bucks more than if you buy the same thing on the PC.  Buy it on PC if you have the chance.

Do your tutorials for the extra 10-20 cards.  Get your characters to lvl 10.  Each class plays now like it'll play later.  The card combos are a bit different but the idea is the same.

Don't sweat losing.  The starter decks are great to learn on.  And they do win quite a bit.  The game is good about putting similar people together.

#1626 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

I bought quite a few cards.. made some more... and then got quite a few free packs from Arena's and whatnot.  Until you KNOW what you're looking for it's not worth buying cards.

#1627 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 12:10 AM

N00b Hearthstone question: How much mileage can I get playing against the AI instead of human opponents?

Posted Image
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

#1628 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 AM

N00b Hearthstone question: How much mileage can I get playing against the AI instead of human opponents?

You can't complete daily quests again the AI, which is where most of your gold comes from, nor do you get the 10gold/3win bonus for against AI.  The only thing AI is useful for is leveling up before level 10 (exp is drastically decreased vs AI post-level 10).

In what country?  In the U.S., they're exactly the same.

#1629 typeRJ

typeRJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 02:51 AM

You can't complete daily quests again the AI, which is where most of your gold comes from, nor do you get the 10gold/3win bonus for against AI.  The only thing AI is useful for is leveling up before level 10 (exp is drastically decreased vs AI post-level 10).

Yeah they encourage you to play against other people.

If you were to play only against the AI, there are 9 different classes to level. You can get them up to level 10 and they'll reward you with cards as you level up. There's two levels of AI: normal and expert. LIke madcatz said though, the EXP takes a dive against AI once you get that specific class to level 10.

I'd say it's worth trying. It's a fun game and inviting to the casual player. I didn't want to play against people, but the limited reactions you can make towards the other player (Thanks, Well Played, etc) make it more enjoyable for me that I regularly just queue up in Play and Arena modes.

#1630 Trusty Mutsi

Trusty Mutsi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Man, I am just not good at this game. I've lost horribly at the first 3 online games I played, and it's sucked the enjoyment from it. Maybe I just suck at building decks. Last game I played ended with the other player having like 8 cards on the board vs my 1.

76561197970925405.png

#1631 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Is there an option to play vs friends rather than some random schlepp??  That may mitigate the online factor for those who are hesitant to play against strangers.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Smart As, :3ds: Bravely Default, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#1632 langdon_alger

langdon_alger

Phlebitis!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Man, I am just not good at this game. I've lost horribly at the first 3 online games I played, and it's sucked the enjoyment from it. Maybe I just suck at building decks. Last game I played ended with the other player having like 8 cards on the board vs my 1.

Yup, I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. Everything about the game is great up until I actually start playing it. I'm always overplaying my hand, so it gets in the later rounds and I have 10 mana and only 1 or 2 cards to play. And I have no idea how to build a good deck. Or what should even be in a good deck. I'm hoping that when they introduce the story mode (or whatever it's called) it has some tutorial stuff built in, more gradual learning/deckbuilding curve.

#1633 ltrain23

ltrain23

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Yup, I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. Everything about the game is great up until I actually start playing it. I'm always overplaying my hand, so it gets in the later rounds and I have 10 mana and only 1 or 2 cards to play. And I have no idea how to build a good deck. Or what should even be in a good deck. I'm hoping that when they introduce the story mode (or whatever it's called) it has some tutorial stuff built in, more gradual learning/deckbuilding curve.

This was how I felt at the start of the month. I started playing during the 4th beta test season, so I got a feel for it before the official release. But when that happened, that was another beast altogether. People in my rank had 2 or 3 legendary cards in their decks. No way I could compete with that, and I didn't play again until the ipad version dropped.

Deckbuilding - There are a couple good online resources, where people have actually posted decks that they have used if you're just starting out. Hearthpwn and Icy Veins are the two that come to mind. Look for decks with lots of commons. As someone said earlier, too, you'll want to try and get all your classes to level 10 to get all of their main cards unlocked.

Is there an option to play vs friends rather than some random schlepp??  That may mitigate the online factor for those who are hesitant to play against strangers.

Yes. The friend icon is in the bottom left corner. I haven't tried it yet on the ipad, but on the PC, you can just select a person and start a match. These matches will always be casual matches (I think), not ranked.

#1634 Trusty Mutsi

Trusty Mutsi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM

This was how I felt at the start of the month. I started playing during the 4th beta test season, so I got a feel for it before the official release. But when that happened, that was another beast altogether. People in my rank had 2 or 3 legendary cards in their decks. No way I could compete with that, and I didn't play again until the ipad version dropped.

See, they say it's not pay to win, but I have to assume that's how these guys are getting their cards.

76561197970925405.png

#1635 ltrain23

ltrain23

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

See, they say it's not pay to win, but I have to assume that's how these guys are getting their cards.

There were 4 test seasons, which lasted about 2 weeks each, I think. That doesn't count the closed beta period, whose cards also carried over. There have been people playing this game for 4-6 months already when you look at it that way.

Edit: I haven't paid any actual cash (and I won't either) and I'm at rank 18 this go round. It's nothing to brag about, but with the cards I have, I think I'm doing okay. And only losing 1-2 hours of sleep because I'm playing Hearthstone instead.

#1636 Trusty Mutsi

Trusty Mutsi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Another Hearthstone question: Does matchmaking work in casual games? What's the difference between casual and ranked?

Thanks.

76561197970925405.png

#1637 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Yeah me too. I keep getting my ass handed to me. I'm no stranger to deck building games, and I think my decks are pretty solid. But there are a lot of buff cards that others seem to have that apparently I haven't gotten to yet. Fun game but it can be frustrating when you have to lose a bunch of times to grind.

#1638 ltrain23

ltrain23

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Yeah me too. I keep getting my ass handed to me. I'm no stranger to deck building games, and I think my decks are pretty solid. But there are a lot of buff cards that others seem to have that apparently I haven't gotten to yet. Fun game but it can be frustrating when you have to lose a bunch of times to grind.

Make sure you get challenges that aren't based on win requirements, then you'll be able to progress even if you're losing.

#1639 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 PM

I was rolling people with my Murloc deck.  It's ridiculous if you can't stop the train once it starts rolling.  It just keeps going.  You could go from none to 8 Murlocs on the field with charge in one turn.  It's nice ;-) (and then have 2-3 more cards drawn in the process giving you more fodder for next turn)

#1640 mookau

mookau

Posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

For those that like time management games, Island tribe 4 is free (for ipad & iphone):

http://appshopper.co...tribe-4-premium

http://appshopper.co...be-4-hd-premium

as is When In Rome:

http://appshopper.co...in-rome-premium

#1641 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Penny Arcades card game down to a buck (from $5).  Seems like their normal sale price though:  http://appshopper.co...-gamers-vs-evil

#1642 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Re: Hearthstone:

Don't forget about arena mode.  It puts everybody on an even playing field (+- luck factor).  Yes, it costs gold to enter, but it's the best way to spend your gold, anyways.  And no one else has an advantage over you, regardless of how long they've been playing or how much they've paid.

With that being said, don't be surprised if you lose there, too.  There's a pretty significant amount of skill involved in paying the game itself, and it takes a lot of experience to know which cards to draft before that.

#1643 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Learning how to pick your cards for Arena is a skill all in itself.  Personally, I suck at Drafting.  I always have.  You give me cards to work with though and I can create AWESOME structured decks that hit from multiple ways.  Drafting, cards I normally use are far less valuable.  Knew a guy named Geoff and he was the MASTER of Draft decks.  Even with sheot cards he'd win because of the way he chose'm.  Tried to explain it to me once and it didn't make sense (to me).

#1644 JohnnySako

JohnnySako

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 11:59 AM

Flying Hamster, Flying Hamster HD, Sunflower, and Crazy Market are free.

#1645 DatPanda

DatPanda

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 03:24 PM

Yesterday is down to .99 and TouchArcade reviewed it well. Point and click and mainstream release presentation.

#1646 AtlasShrugged80

AtlasShrugged80

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 06:53 PM

If any of you new iPad Hearthstoners are interested in some friendlys against other CAGs, I started a Hearthstone thread: www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/328197-hearthstone-cag-style

Like ltrain, I've been playing since Open Beta and am not spending any money (I paid $1.99 for one arena key simply to get a special card during the beta).  From my perspective, the game is extremely deep and is not pay to win.  Plenty of streamers have gotten to legendary with F2P decks to prove it's possible.

I'll try to drop some nuggets of what I've learned to hopefully lessen your learning curves.  Good luck with the addiction!