Upgrading Dreamcast Video

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shane7951

shane7951

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I was recently looking around to update my Dreamcast's setup, still using the RF adapter it came with. I'm not interested in modding the system but I am aware of VGA adapters and S-Video (along with SAV) cables. Obviously VGA will get better results but I've read mixed reviews on it.

What do you guys recommend? I have both a CRT tv and a standard LCD flatscreen that I could use.

#2 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

RF?! My Dreamcasts came with RCA video cables, and they can be had rather cheaply off of eBay or Amazon.
If you can get VGA, get VGA. There's quite a few guides on the internet but require a trip into Radioshack to save some money off of buying a VGA cable.

Batsugunner.png

#3 sgand

sgand

Aim for the flaptop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I sprung for the vga box that let's me switch between vga and s video since some games don't support vga

#4 shane7951

shane7951

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Haha yeah it came with an RF adapter. I remember back in the day I had a daisy chain of RF adapters for the NES, Dreamcast and whatever else I had hooked up at the time.

Seems like VGA boxes are a popular route to take but there are a bunch of different brands making these. Any recommendations?

#5 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Here are two videos about the VGA box:

But you can use this guide to build your VGA box, instead of wiring inside the box, just get a third party S-video cable that has all the pins on the connector part filled in, and start building. http://www.mmmonkey....ternal-vga-mod/

Batsugunner.png

#6 shane7951

shane7951

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

I actually watched those before posting. I'm certainly not skilled enough to build my own so I'll go the VGA box route.

#7 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the VGA box has become hard to find and a lot more expensive. I bought this one off of ebay 3 1/2 years ago for $20. http://www.racketboy...-svideo-av.html

#8 shane7951

shane7951

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure the VGA box has become hard to find and a lot more expensive. I bought this one off of ebay 3 1/2 years ago for $20.

Wasn't there one that was officially released by Sega?

It seems on eBay they average around $50 give or take. The hard part is finding which ones suck

#9 sgand

sgand

Aim for the flaptop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the VGA box has become hard to find and a lot more expensive. I bought this one off of ebay 3 1/2 years ago for $20. http://www.racketboy...-svideo-av.html

That's the one I bought. Can't believe how expensive it got. I sold mine last year along with my Dreamcast for $60.