Need help with encoding

ClydeShebang

CAGiversary!
Hey there, this is really the only forum I use so thought I'd ask. I recently bought a hard drive of 500gb since I discovered my tv can use the usb function and I want to transfer all of my dvd's - movies and tv shows - onto the hard drive so I can clean out my room and store the dvd's away.

Anyway if there are people with any expertise on how to encode dvd's - preferably to mp4 or mkv I would appreciate it. My main thing is encoding them to reasonably small size and decent quality, especially for my tv shows - I've got about 30 to 40 seasons worth of box sets so I'm aiming for the 100mb-150mb range per episode.

Holy cow dude! I'll be watching this thread. I'm in a similar spot, just not nearly as much content-- about 100 old DVDs.

[quote name='ClydeShebang']Hey there, this is really the only forum I use so thought I'd ask. I recently bought a hard drive of 500gb since I discovered my tv can use the usb function and I want to transfer all of my dvd's - movies and tv shows - onto the hard drive so I can clean out my room and store the dvd's away.

Anyway if there are people with any expertise on how to encode dvd's - preferably to mp4 or mkv I would appreciate it. My main thing is encoding them to reasonably small size and decent quality, especially for my tv shows - I've got about 30 to 40 seasons worth of box sets so I'm aiming for the 100mb-150mb range per episode.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about 22 minutes into 100-150MB range?

Either case, just get handbrake.

Thanks for the responses. I tried handbrake a few times and each time the program freezes on me, using a nightly build. Most are 30 min shows like entourage, community and I have a few 44 minute ones such as supernatural and mad men.

With regards to the 25 min shows the best I've got them to be 250mb average each.

My 30 rock ones got to about 190mg on average.

DVD Shrink is my personal favorite.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Wouldnt work for me though because I recently got rid of all my DVDs. Nothing but bluray for me now-a-days. I love that HD. Compressing blurays with a lossy format like .mp4 or xvid is like spending money on a nice sports car just to take a hammer to it and cover it with dents all over the body. It will still run, and get you from point A to point B, but it just looks like crap (especially on my big plasma). If it came down to quality vs quantity, I go quality all the way. I dont mind swapping discs when I want to watch something else. ;)

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']DVD Shrink is my personal favorite.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Wouldnt work for me though because I recently got rid of all my DVDs. Nothing but bluray for me now-a-days. I love that HD. Compressing blurays with a lossy format like .mp4 or xvid is like spending money on a nice sports car just to take a hammer to it and cover it with dents all over the body. It will still run, and get you from point A to point B, but it just looks like crap (especially on my big plasma). If it came down to quality vs quantity, I go quality all the way. I dont mind swapping discs when I want to watch something else. ;)[/QUOTE]

You know blurays are compressed, right? Plus, if you're watching it streamed on a tablet, slightly more compressed won't show up much.

I'd love for some blu ray's but most of my tv show's haven't had hd releases yet. My best blu ray I've got transfer wise would be The Dark Knight Rises, it just looks so crisp!

About Handbrake I've downloaded version svn5263 - nightly build but just as it starts to do something it freezes up. The other software I have is aimersoft video converter,which gets the job done but the files average 250mb per 22 min episode.

You're supposed to use the stable versions of programs you're not familiar with when you're just starting out. If Handbrake crashes because you have VLC 2.0, use this guide: http:\\lifehacker.com/5888078/vlc-20-breaks-handbrake-dvd-ripping-heres-how-to-fix-it
You're going to have a different program to rip your DVDs if you want them.

Handbrake will rip and encode dvds on its own just fine. You just need to find a certain .dll to put in the Handbrake install folder for it to be able to read protected dvds... Google for it, and if you can't find it let me know and I'll find it for ya.

I am going on vacation soon, and have ripped and encoded quite a few kids dvds for play on my tablet for the trip... Worked like a champ.

bread's done
Back