Blockbuster B2G1 Free happening now

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 kdiddy1989

kdiddy1989

2011 NBA Champions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

I wish mine would lower prices or update them. I use to work there years ago and we were always be behind on changing price stickers. When we did a buy one get one free for $15 I went nuts and bought like 20 games in a month.

So THAT'S where all the good games are...

Real talk though, I can't believe all those Blockbusters are shut down nationwide and they've been closed for that long. Las Vegas stores seem to be doing fine...I'll have to go in and see what they have there.

#32 sgaldis

sgaldis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

Dang, I was just out of town near the last few remaining stores in my area last weekend! I would have to drive about 30 minutes to check out the 2 of them...maybe this weekend.

Just a few years ago, there was one in my town, as well as a total of 6 within a 30 mile radius, and that number jumped to 10 within 50-60 miles (3 of those were franchise stores, though, so they didn't have the same deals). Needless to say, the legendary b1g1 $14.99 and under sales were always epic if you hit them early.

I wish we could get a more complete list of updated prices. The two remaining stores are the type that are notoriously bad about not updating price stickers, yet they are always reluctant to scan anything, insisting that the games are priced as marked. I like to go in with the knowledge already, so I don't have to worry about their laziness.

So that's 7 out of 10 stores within a 50 mile radius closed in the last 3 years or so. I find it kind of sad, actually, and I'll obviously miss all of the deals I used to score. But it's a sign of the times; that kind of business model seems to be growing increasingly stodgy and outdated in our society, in general.

#33 CandyCaptain

CandyCaptain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Did a search, turns out the is one still relatively close. Out in Waukegan, might head out there way later today.

#34 desertsniper

desertsniper

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

This isn't terrible if you want some extra gamestop credit. Buy Kirby's Dreamland. It trades at $20 base to gamestop as of yesterday. If you have one of those 50% off coupons from power up rewards you can get $32.00 after 50%. $32.00, then $28 (30% current deal), $28. $88 you spend $65 with tax. Gets you plus $23. Also Mario Galaxy 2 is $24.99 if you can find it, that trades at $17.00 base with the 50% $27.20. And Donkey Kong Country Returns is $12.00 base with 50% goes to $19.20.

Not a huge flip, but if you were wanting to save $20-$40 on something at gamestop plus buff up your power up points not bad.

Also seems the Kirby Dream Collection can sell for $30 on ebay, and my local store had a bunch of these as well as skyward sword. Probably a good chance to grab some wii titles before they become more scarce in the years to come.

#35 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

My Blockbuster closed about a year ago. There's a Payless there now. Think they'll honor this deal?

I want you to mention "BOGO" as a word in store. Report back here if they are aware of those commercials.

blockbuster deals belong in local threads IMO

I agree.

#36 labrat34

labrat34

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

i still have a blockbuster nearby, and it had a ton of games. a sampling -
resident evil 6 $25
halo anniversary $20
CoD black ops 2 $30
halo 4 $30
Pokémon white $20
DmC $40

#37 ScorpioKyle

ScorpioKyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I have a blockbuster still near me but last time I went in a month ago the game prices were ridiculous. Most were above MSRP at most stores (asking 29.99 used for SSX for xbox) and most other games were in the 40+ range. If I'm in the area I might stop by to see if anything has changed.

#38 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

wow, just checked, 4 years ago there was 8 within reasonable driving distance. The only one left within 20 miles radius is 16.7 miles away. So sad.

#39 JUSTSULTAN

JUSTSULTAN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

The one blockbuster buy me is stacked with games. Crazy hearing other stores are sitting with crap. Seriously there are probably 150-200 games that they have sitting on a table, then 50 or so more on racks by the gaming area.

So true Daz! I was expecting to bump into you and your littleones( congrats to you for baby girl) So many games but i swear everything is overpriced now..i really miss Hawaiiboy letting us know price drops and such:cry:

#40 kelo360

kelo360

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

These are all used right? I don't think those prices are that great even for a b2 g1...

#41 theclaw

theclaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Oak Harbor WA has its original location open. They tried a second, didn't last.

#42 AsstronautJones

AsstronautJones

bang bang what's the hang

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

There used to be 3 locations by my parents house. Now there's 4 locations in St Louis

#43 Lulgasms

Lulgasms

Resident Xbone hater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

LOL blockbuster sent me a random crappy DVD from their online rental service even though I cancelled aeons ago. Percy Jackson smh. My local store closed down then opened up and closed down again lol.

#44 Super Sonic

Super Sonic

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

What is ironic about mine is that they had a "now hiring" sign up back in February, only to have a going out of business sale in March and close down altogether in April. It's sand there are less than 500 stores in all of America at this point. What is more sad is that apparently Netflix tried to sell themselves to Blockbuster for some bargain price of only a few mil at one point, only to be rejected.

#45 infiniteHorizon

infiniteHorizon

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

:applause: ..... :-(

#46 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

There are only 11 stores within a 25-mile radius of my suburban Detroit home, the closest two being about 7 and 10 miles away. There was one within sight of my apartment that just closed and there were at least six within 15 minutes drive. I don't know where I'm going to get my cheap used DVDs and Blu-rays now. Bother.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#47 ctclements

ctclements

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

What is ironic about mine is that they had a "now hiring" sign up back in February, only to have a going out of business sale in March and close down altogether in April. It's sand there are less than 500 stores in all of America at this point. What is more sad is that apparently Netflix tried to sell themselves to Blockbuster for some bargain price of only a few mil at one point, only to be rejected.

I heard about that Netflix/Blockbuster thing a while ago as well. That could have been awesome. Having the option to mail DVD's as well as swap them for different ones at the nearest Blockbuster might have been enough to keep Blockbuster alive.

#48 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Doubt it with other streaming services/redbox still out there. Blockbuster got gangbanged

#49 io

io

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Damn that video dragged on. I can't stand South Park. Gave up 1/3 the way through. Yes, point made - Blockbuster is outdated. Yawn.

As for the streaming/disc-by-mail service, Blockbuster could have done well if they had been a little more proactive and had those disc exchange plans when they still had a lot of stores. When I finally signed up for the first decent plan they offered my store closed not 2 months later #-o.

There are still huge flaws with the other methods. Netflix streaming has a crap selection for the most part and includes almost no newer releases. And while their disc-based service has a much bigger selection, it has the 30-day hold on a lot of new stuff which is annoying. I finally cancelled that the other day (kept the streaming of course). I have never used Redbox but it seems like a ripoff to me, especially for games (where you get charged every day you have it).

I would have loved a Blockbuster plan where I could get movies and games with unlimited exchanges at a relatively convenient store. At this point I'd pay upwards of $15-$20 per month for something like that. And yeah, I know they do have something like that - but with the closest store 8 miles away it isn't convenient. I really have no good way of getting new movies/games any more - so I just don't. I may be old fashioned, but I did actually prefer browsing the shelves for something to watch and getting an actual disc (the concept that South Park video ridicules). And when they had a decent number of locations it wasn't too much trouble to stop in and do so.

And let's not forget that all that game renting led to lots of excess stock that they then sold to us dirt cheap via the B1G1 sales - probably the best year-after-year sale I've taken part of during my whole time as a CAG.

#50 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Why keep the streaming if it has a crappy selection?

#51 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Might have to check the last remaining blockbuster by my house, but I'll probably be sol. Last time they ran a promo, the employee didn't even know about it. There was even in store signing that I had to point out.

#52 fortunado

fortunado

Mathematical!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

You suck ... I watched 15m of that episode in your post and then it ended short. Augh! Now I have to go figure out which episode that is and watch the end of it.:wall::boxing:

ach.png

#53 Gertle627

Gertle627

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

His name was HawaiiBoy

This made me smile. And then cry.

#54 io

io

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Why keep the streaming if it has a crappy selection?

For the kids - lots of stuff for them. Not so much for me. What I really meant is they don't have new release stuff - so it isn't a substitute for something that Blockbuster was good for.