Question before deciding to buy SMT4

walls99

CAGiversary!
Sorry for Posting on the wii forum before realizing my mistake.

Years ago, I bought FFX on the PS2 when I heard a lot of people talking about it. This was my first JRPG. I played it for a bit, but the random battles and some other things about the progression pissed me off and I quit playing it. Sorry, I can't remember everything that pissed me off since its been more than 10 years since I last remember playing that game. I even used gameshark to turn off random battles and help fasten the progression etc.

I have not played another JRPG since. I didn't try Kingdom hearts either even though I wanted to play a game with disney characters in it since I was afraid I would be bored about the JRPG elements again. Forgive me if i am wrong about the jrpg elements in KH.

So, now my question is, if I hated FFX will I like SMT4 since it is another JRPG ? Are there others here that hate FFX but like SMT, and why ?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='walls99']Sorry for Posting on the wii forum before realizing my mistake.

Years ago, I bought FFX on the PS2 when I heard a lot of people talking about it. This was my first JRPG. I played it for a bit, but the random battles and some other things about the progression pissed me off and I quit playing it. Sorry, I can't remember everything that pissed me off since its been more than 10 years since I last remember playing that game. I even used gameshark to turn off random battles and help fasten the progression etc.

I have not played another JRPG since. I didn't try Kingdom hearts either even though I wanted to play a game with disney characters in it since I was afraid I would be bored about the JRPG elements again. Forgive me if i am wrong about the jrpg elements in KH.

So, now my question is, if I hated FFX will I like SMT4 since it is another JRPG ? Are there others here that hate FFX but like SMT, and why ?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Kingdom Hears doesnt really have any JRPG elements in it. Its a western action RPG (at least in my book).

Shin Megami Tensei is not out yet, so its hard to compare it to other things. Once its out though there should be a demo.. try it out and see if you like it... you can do the same thing for Kingdom Hearts.

[quote name='Chrushev']Kingdom Hears doesnt really have any JRPG elements in it. Its a western action RPG (at least in my book).

Shin Megami Tensei is not out yet, so its hard to compare it to other things. Once its out though there should be a demo.. try it out and see if you like it... you can do the same thing for Kingdom Hearts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chrushev. Hope to try the demo.

What about the other SMT games on the 3DS. How are they when compared to FFX ?

I haven't played any of the portable SMTs yet, but the series as a whole is very much quintessential JRPG (the Digital Devil Saga games in particular had systems that reminded me heavily of FFX). SMT IV being the next main-series entry, it should be a pretty traditional JRPG. If a demo hits, definitely try before you buy.

[quote name='Chrushev']Kingdom Hears doesnt really have any JRPG elements in it. Its a western action RPG (at least in my book).[/QUOTE]
wat

Внимание! Наконец то запущен долгостроитель, высокодоходный проект CloudMoney.info
Давно мечтали стать инвестором, интересно же, закинуть копейку и просто получать процент.
В Интернете столько уже было похожих проектов, но вот мы дождались систему CloudMoney, оттестированную и поставленную на рельсы.
Доходность проекта: 2.76% в сутки! (Уже получают и будут получать деньги).

Минимальный вклад: 10$
Максимальный: 1000$
Платежная система: Perfect Money и Либерти

Регистрация по реф. ссылке, Гарантия Рефбека, до 15% от Вашего вклада, сразу же по запросу.
$$$$$$$/gR8Ph - Регистрация в проект CloudMoney не поленитесь почитайте, понимаем что много мусора в Интернете, но тут проект совсем другой направленности.

Проект расчитан на долгую работу, это реализованно в механизме ограничения вывода средств. Подробнее Читайте на официальном Сайте CloudMoney.info
Читайте по проекту CloudMoney на Сайте webmany.net/?p=145 , на форуме CloudMoney можете задать свои вопросы.

почитайте, посмотрите отзывы в Интернете, не нужно регистрироваться по этой ссылке, плюс данной ссылки только в возврате вам 15% от вклада, вы поймете, что это тот выход из постоянного дефицита денег, когда большинство людей устало жить от зарплаты к зарплате, притом размер которой равен расходам на бытовые нужды.
Спрашивается, когда жить?!

[quote name='blueshinra']I haven't played any of the portable SMTs yet, but the series as a whole is very much quintessential JRPG (the Digital Devil Saga games in particular had systems that reminded me heavily of FFX). SMT IV being the next main-series entry, it should be a pretty traditional JRPG. If a demo hits, definitely try before you buy.

wat[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer. Will definitely wait for the demo.

[quote name='Chrushev']Kingdom Hears doesnt really have any JRPG elements in it. Its a western action RPG (at least in my book).

Shin Megami Tensei is not out yet, so its hard to compare it to other things. Once its out though there should be a demo.. try it out and see if you like it... you can do the same thing for Kingdom Hearts.[/QUOTE]

There's really nothing Western about KH except for Disney. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Devil May Cry are all Japanese games and have had the biggest influence on the series. Honestly, when KH first came out, Western "action" RPGs still used dice rolls (miss, miss, miss, hit, miss, miss, hit), and Western hack 'n' slashers didn't exist.

Anyway, the RPG elements in the KH series are negligible. I'd say Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days and Re:coded are the only ones that require extensive menu fiddling, whereas all the others can be beaten without ever opening one. I mean, I'd recommend equipping a new keyblade whenever you get one, and you probably wanna equip a Cure spell as well, but even that isn't necessary if you're good.

As for SMT4... The main SMT games have previously been hardcore dungeon crawlers with random encounters, turn-based battles, and a high level of challenge. SMT4 drops the random encounters and is a lot more accessible due to the addition of an Easy Mode, some adjustments to the demon fusion system, the ability to buy yourself out of a Game Over, and the ability to save anywhere. It's really quite different from FFX, but whether that means you'll like it or not is hard to say. Regardless, it seems like a decent place to start if you wanna get into SMT.

[quote name='Axersia']There's really nothing Western about KH except for Disney. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Devil May Cry are all Japanese games and have had the biggest influence on the series. Honestly, when KH first came out, Western "action" RPGs still used dice rolls (miss, miss, miss, hit, miss, miss, hit), and Western hack 'n' slashers didn't exist.

Anyway, the RPG elements in the KH series are negligible. I'd say Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days and Re:coded are the only ones that require extensive menu fiddling, whereas all the others can be beaten without ever opening one. I mean, I'd recommend equipping a new keyblade whenever you get one, and you probably wanna equip a Cure spell as well, but even that isn't necessary if you're good.

As for SMT4... The main SMT games have previously been hardcore dungeon crawlers with random encounters, turn-based battles, and a high level of challenge. SMT4 drops the random encounters and is a lot more accessible due to the addition of an Easy Mode, some adjustments to the demon fusion system, the ability to buy yourself out of a Game Over, and the ability to save anywhere. It's really quite different from FFX, but whether that means you'll like it or not is hard to say. Regardless, it seems like a decent place to start if you wanna get into SMT.[/QUOTE]

That's for the detailed response Axersia. I'll play the demo if there is one, check YouTube videos and then decide. If I like it, I'm sure there would be a sale between when it comes out and Christmas.

bread's done
Back