Wii U Basic 239.99 @ Target.com

Wow.

I did hear the original Wii outsold the Wii U recently, so I wonder if this sale price is in any way related.

It'll be interesting if this deal starts popping up at other retailers over the next few days. With E3 only a few weeks away I could see them announcing a price drop and possibly even phasing out this model because of its limited storage.

I would be tempted to buy it, but then I think about what games I want to play and its a big fat zero for all currently available titles or anything the have officially announced thus far. Maybe E3 announcements change my perception, but until games I want for it are actually available, its just gonna collect dust after a few days anyhow. Good find OP, but not time for me to buy it yet.

I was like, "$10 drop? Who cares."

Then I realized this is normally $300. Holy crap. Needs a price drop badly.

I also noticed they have a bundle of the basic console plus New Super Mario U for $289 for an extra $10 savings vs buying both separately.

Yea, it's Nintendo developing with last generation hardware and a tablet peripheral. They innovated with motion control, but dropped that entire schematic, seeing as how the capabilities of that hardware aren't exactly on par with response with a lot of titles. I'd be surprised if this system actually does well. Most games coming out for the Wii U are kinda' bleh, but I'm hoping they'll have better titles coming soon. Think there was an EA rep that said that Nintendo should go the way of Sega and just release great games, getting out of the console wars. I dunno. I kind of want to see them do more, but with less gimmicky hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting for the next Mario or Zelda game to hit before picking up a system. By then, I am hoping it will be even cheaper. Good price if you need one now.

[quote name='DeadbeatGa']Not sure if it's in store price too[/QUOTE]
You'd probably be able to take the online price and match it at either Target or Best Buy.

They'll match it at the customer service register. Just did it with a ps3 bundle (epic mickey with move) the other day where it was $30 less on their site than in store.

[quote name='invincibleaggre']Yea, it's Nintendo developing with last generation hardware and a tablet peripheral. They innovated with motion control, but dropped that entire schematic, seeing as how the capabilities of that hardware aren't exactly on par with response with a lot of titles. I'd be surprised if this system actually does well. Most games coming out for the Wii U are kinda' bleh, but I'm hoping they'll have better titles coming soon. Think there was an EA rep that said that Nintendo should go the way of Sega and just release great games, getting out of the console wars. I dunno. I kind of want to see them do more, but with less gimmicky hardware.[/QUOTE]

Watch their Nintendo Directs and you'll know they have better titles coming out. Just sayin'

This would be a good gamble, considering E3 is coming up next month. However, if it can get to 240, it can be 199 by holiday season.

My local Target had some first party accessories on clearance for half off:

Microphone - $15
GamePad Stand/Cradle - $10

[quote name='timro33']3ds and xl also on sale

Cannot post link. Check website[/QUOTE]

$145 for 3DS and $175 for 3DS XL.

In for 1. I think I'm going to bite because i never had a vanilla Wii.

I don't expect to play much other than the few Wii games I missed. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with the games. You'd think they'd at least have a new Zelda for it before it dies right?

At $240 if it goes $40 cheaper I won't feel bad. Thanks OP.

It'll be interesting to see which system lasts longer out of the Vita and Wii U.

[quote name='PaleGreen']My local Target had some first party accessories on clearance for half off:

Microphone - $15
GamePad Stand/Cradle - $10[/QUOTE]

Same at my Local store. Picked up the Cradle/Stand for $9.98. Did not want too miss it by waiting for 70%. Worth it for those like me who got the Basic bundle.

If i hadn't just added a 360 holiday bundle in November (long term Ps3 player) I might have considered blowing some money this (if not just because I no longer have my Wii, and this could at least let me catch up on some Wii games).

That being said, considering the 360 bundle was $199, 250GB HDD, and had 2 games it was still a MUCH better deal. I'm probably going to eventually trade my 360 for a Wii-U, but when I make those comparisons I feel like the basic system for Wii-U is such a joke that even $239 is just way too much. Needs to be $149. That is even assuming the Wii-U ever gets enough games to justify a purchase at all... at any price.

I think I will stop any wii u deal threads... hardware is cheap. $250 is nothing and expand your available game library. but this is cag so have fun. I am having a lot of fun with my Wii U and if it is the only console I have, I will live. I am also very excited for the games in the pipeline, it will be a great year for Wii U owner.

[quote name='soonersfan60']$149 is just stupid.[/QUOTE]

I can't see it hitting that price anytime soon, but they're going to need something to draw people in with few quality games and two competing consoles with superior hardware.

Nintendo just needs 1 SKU that is the issue. Get rid of all the basics and make Deluxe $299 and be done with it.

I don't understand all the hate "*rant* needs to be as much as a old wii *rant*" $240 Is an AMAZING deal. If you don't already have a Wii, even more so, because of the backwards compatibility.

Reasons I bought white:

1.I specifically wanted the white because im going to use a cheap external hard drive with it (assuming they make some games for cores).

2.Also I saw on a youtube video that the black leaves a lot of finger prints. Which isn't too big of a deal since i bought a controller padding & screen protector a few months ago crazy cheap off amazon.

Reasons I took the deal:

1. I don't think it's worth waiting for any lower. I really can't see this thing going lower than $200. Costco had the white for $200 a few months ago, but if it goes any lower that pretty much means the console is done. So at that point you'd have to question spending money on a dead system. Gonna just have to give them the benefit of the doubt. $240 is a good price I think.

2. I think they're about to announce a new 3d mario, super smash bros and who knows what else. As soon as the system starts getting games (hopefully) you might not be able to get this deal anymore.

I DO THINK IT WILL GO LOWER. My guess is $200 on Black Friday on Amazon or Best Buy. But by that time i'm probably going to be buying a PS4 as well as new PC components to build a new PC since Amazon is the 5% cash back for Q4 for chase credit cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Wii U basic owner, its barely worth 99 bucks. It will likely get clearanced out next year or the year after anyway, they only sold 37k Wii Us in america last month, worst selling main console in the history of gaming, and it keeps breaking its own records for lowest amount sold. Definitely do not recommend at this price.

[quote name='blitz6speed']As a Wii U basic owner, its barely worth 99 bucks. It will likely get clearanced out next year or the year after anyway, they only sold 37k Wii Us in america last month, worst selling main console in the history of gaming, and it keeps breaking its own records for lowest amount sold. Definitely do not recommend at this price.[/QUOTE]

They're not doing that poorly. Wii U has already sold 3.5 million consoles. 360/PS3 only sold around 5.5 million in their first years.

Wii U will be fine once it gets some decent, exclusive games. I'm sure it will at least do better than the Gamecube (~22 million).

[quote name='scaryice']They're not doing that poorly. Wii U has already sold 3.5 million consoles. 360/PS3 only sold around 5.5 million in their first years.

Wii U will be fine once it gets some decent, exclusive games. I'm sure it will at least do better than the Gamecube (~22 million).[/QUOTE]

The wii U has not sold 3.5, it has SHIPPED around that, its more around 2.1 million console sold worldwide thus far and thats horrific. The wii u is in a DISASTROUS position, not bad, its selling worse then dreamcast ever did.

[quote name='blitz6speed']As a Wii U basic owner, its barely worth 99 bucks. It will likely get clearanced out next year or the year after anyway, they only sold 37k Wii Us in america last month, worst selling main console in the history of gaming, and it keeps breaking its own records for lowest amount sold. Definitely do not recommend at this price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I probrably wouldn't worry about that once Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Shin Megami x Fire Emblem among others hits store shelves soon! :lol: :rofl::rofl:.

[quote name='OldSchoolGaming4Life']Yeah, I probrably wouldn't worry about that once Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Shin Megami x Fire Emblem among others hits store shelves soon! :lol: :rofl::rofl:.[/QUOTE]

I am also very excited for wonderful 101 and pikmin3! both dated and just around the corner!

[quote name='OldSchoolGaming4Life']Yeah, I probrably wouldn't worry about that once Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Shin Megami x Fire Emblem among others hits store shelves soon! :lol: :rofl::rofl:.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='wasabi5858']I am also very excited for wonderful 101 and pikmin3! both dated and just around the corner![/QUOTE]
After these games come out I'll pick up a Wii U but not until then. Now if only they would make another Pokemon Stadium I'd be sold :lol:

[quote name='scaryice']They're not doing that poorly. Wii U has already sold 3.5 million consoles. 360/PS3 only sold around 5.5 million in their first years.

Wii U will be fine once it gets some decent, exclusive games. I'm sure it will at least do better than the Gamecube (~22 million).[/QUOTE]

2.1 million is not bad in half year especially when it had to compete in the holidays.

secondly no other company has a game that could make this fly off shelves....but the second nintendo gives us a 1080 Zelda this system is gone from shelves or the new smash bros which will all outsell anything on the other two systems....nintendo is not doomed. not to mention all the other outstanding first party nintendo titles once they rear their ugly heads.

[/QUOTE]

PS3 had 10 million units sold from November 2006 - November 2007

360 had 7 million units sold from November 2005 - November 2006

I wont deny that the Wii-U had an AMAZING first month and half but after December and for the last 5 months now sales have hit lows neither of those consoles have seen.

I would personally hold off on buying a Nintendo Wii-U till their upcoming Nintendo Directs show us what is coming out for the remainder of the year. I also suspect new bundles coming this holiday though I am not sure if Nintendo can pull a price-cut out its hat.

[quote name='soonersfan60']$149 is just stupid.[/QUOTE]

Not saying that's what it will be, just that's what it needs to be to make me even notice it. Think of the XBOX 360 Arcade model. Alot of people have said for years that thing is useless even at $199. Why is the Wii-U any different? Just because it's "new"?

Anyway this is of course technically a deal because it is (I believe) the lowest the system has ever been in North America. So of course it's going to be presented on this forum as a deal. However in my mind the basic system Wii-U is just as bad or worse than the 360 4GB Arcade model which is $199 MSRP. It's the starting MSRP that's way out of whack. Like I said, I think they should just do away with the "basic" system altogether and start doing systems with at least 64GB or 128GB of "fast" internal storage. At least then it could sort of justify a $200 or $250 price point.

I kinda want a WiiU and just basically to play the Nintendo first party games (Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc) but I think I'll hold off until it drops to $200 at least. It'll probably be that cheap around Black Friday at the latest...then justifying a WiiU and a next gen PS/Xbox at the same time!

[quote name='ColFantastic']I kinda want a WiiU and just basically to play the Nintendo first party games (Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc) but I think I'll hold off until it drops to $200 at least. It'll probably be that cheap around Black Friday at the latest...then justifying a WiiU and a next gen PS/Xbox at the same time![/QUOTE]

I suspect a repeat of what they did when the 3DS was tanking. Price drop mid-year, great bundles at the new price (so free game basically) during Black Friday. I remember there being bundles with a 3DS and one (or more of the following): Mario Kart (3DS), Super Mario Land 3D, or The Zelda Remake. I think Gamestop even had a special color to go along with the Zelda remake.

I think they'll do the same with Wii U. I think that positioning the Wii U at $250 ("the price of the original Wii!") with a new, Nintendo published game will be enough to keep the Wii U from fully Dreamcasting. But like the 3DS, I doubt it'll ever meet the expectations Nintendo had for it in the West.

That said, a lot depends on the next gen consoles. If the PS4 or next Xbox have a $499.99 price point (and the subsidizing looks as horrendous as it sounds with the next Xbox), then it might well be by then parents will prefer to pay the $250. I kinda doubt it, but it might happen.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I also noticed they have a bundle of the basic console plus New Super Mario U for $289 for an extra $10 savings vs buying both separately.[/QUOTE]

The WiiU Basic is $239 and NSMBU is $39, so they are $10 CHEAPER separately than the $289 bundle.

Really tempted w/ Pikmin 3 coming out but it's hard to buy ANY system 3 weeks before E3.

BTW - I know Nintendo isn't having a BIG presentation but they are having 2 or 3 small ones so maybe some good news about new bundles or price drops - I have ZERO interest in ZombieU but I don't want 8 GB storage either.

bread's done
Back