• Please log in to reply
1525 replies to this topic

#1411 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

Alrighty then .......

Snowcone's FTP is working great for me compared to the HTML upload facility. I am currently uploading 50 manuals ... I've been busy converting ... totaling over 500mb's to it as I write this.

Hopefully you guy's will get to see what I've been up to soon. Let me know what you think of them....

UPDATE: All 51 manuals now upped to Snack-bar. New additions include Banjo Twooie, Doom 64, Castlevania. I think I'm about half way through my manuals at present.

I am working on a way for these to be available in conjunction with the games. I am also giving serious thought to relaunching the whole thing as it's own website. I don't know yet.
Posted Image

#1412 SMMM

SMMM

...roly poly fish $$$$s..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

I am working on a way for these to be available in conjunction with the games. I am also giving serious thought to relaunching the whole thing as it's own website. I don't know yet.

I like the idea of relaunching it as a new site. It's really grown to a whole new level since it first started as a small little project here at CAG. You'd probably get more traffic due it being the main focus instead of a subsidary and it'd automatically be the largest GBA and N64 hi-rez cover database on the net. Give it some more room of its own and exposure and it'll grow even more accordingly.

#1413 4tygames

4tygames

Cover Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

Sorry, I have not replied in a while.

College has started again and free time is a little more limited. I will get the list updated soon, at least by the end of this weekend.

Those boxes that I scanned earlier I currently do not have access to, and I tried to remove the sticker on the front, but it just would not come off. Those games I bought were new old stock so even though they had all the old rental store stickers on them, they were never used.

What would be a good name for the new site? Personally, I like http://www.covers.vg .
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1414 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:57 PM

wshbrngr,

This new Fighter Destiny 2 cover, is it a replacement of the current one?
Posted Image

#1415 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

Sorry, I have not replied in a while.

College has started again and free time is a little more limited. I will get the list updated soon, at least by the end of this weekend.

Those boxes that I scanned earlier I currently do not have access to, and I tried to remove the sticker on the front, but it just would not come off. Those games I bought were new old stock so even though they had all the old rental store stickers on them, they were never used.

What would be a good name for the new site? Personally, I like http://www.covers.vg .

Not bad. I'll give it some thought.
Posted Image

#1416 ajnrules

ajnrules

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

Hmm...so the last box was 96dpi? I was afraid of that...:cry:

Okay...the upload site doesn't seem to work, so I've uploaded all of my raw scans onto my own personal webspace. If they're still 96dpi...well, I have no idea what we'll do.

http://www.people.vi.../Other/gamebox/

The scanned boxes include:
-International Superstar Soccer 64 (US)
-International Superstar Soccer 98 (US)
-Super Mario 64 (Japan)
-Mario Kart 64 (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Japan)
-Star Fox 64 (Japan)
-Banjo-Kazooie (Japan)
-Paper Mario (Japan)
-Mario Party (Japan)
-Yoshi's Story (Japan)

#1417 4tygames

4tygames

Cover Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:55 AM

N64 List Updated

That was a lot of stuff to update, if there are any problems just let me know.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1418 RockinX

RockinX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:22 AM

Hmm...so the last box was 96dpi? I was afraid of that...:cry:

Okay...the upload site doesn't seem to work, so I've uploaded all of my raw scans onto my own personal webspace. If they're still 96dpi...well, I have no idea what we'll do.

http://www.people.vi.../Other/gamebox/

The scanned boxes include:
-International Superstar Soccer 64 (US)
-International Superstar Soccer 98 (US)
-Super Mario 64 (Japan)
-Mario Kart 64 (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Japan)
-Star Fox 64 (Japan)
-Banjo-Kazooie (Japan)
-Paper Mario (Japan)
-Mario Party (Japan)
-Yoshi's Story (Japan)

OH! I can now make a good custom cover for Mario 64 with that Mario 64 JP raw! THANKS!

#1419 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

So I am going to move the project to it's own dedicated site, but I need some more ideas for the domain name. Any more suggestions?
Posted Image

#1420 wshbrngr

wshbrngr

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

wshbrngr,

This new Fighter Destiny 2 cover, is it a replacement of the current one?

Snowcone: Sorry to take so long to reply, but I have been down for a few days (Me and the computer)
I did upload a revised fighter destiny a while back with enhanced colors, but I have not uploaded anything in the past few days.

#1421 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

Snowcone: Sorry to take so long to reply, but I have been down for a few days (Me and the computer)
I did upload a revised fighter destiny a while back with enhanced colors, but I have not uploaded anything in the past few days.

Cool. I will go ahead and replace the old one with this new one.
Posted Image

#1422 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

So the new domain name will be thecoverproject.net

I am going to try and get the site built and online within about 10-14 days. Once we get this site online I am going to promote a few of you to be able to post pending covers and help keep things running smoothly.
Posted Image

#1423 TheValeman

TheValeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

So the new domain name will be thecoverproject.net

I am going to try and get the site built and online within about 10-14 days. Once we get this site online I am going to promote a few of you to be able to post pending covers and help keep things running smoothly.

Dont forget to migrate the ftp server for those manuals I'm uploading too as it certainly made it easier than the html method where large files are concerned.

Are you migrating the existing layout?
This may be a good time to look at altering the format to a name based structure .... one name with all associated covers and the manual nested underneath. That way a visitor can see all items available for a particular game with one click.
But then again .... I'm no site designer so maybe it's too hard to do this? .... just a suggestion anyways.......

Cheers

#1424 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

Dont forget to migrate the ftp server for those manuals I'm uploading too as it certainly made it easier than the html method where large files are concerned.

Are you migrating the existing layout?
This may be a good time to look at altering the format to a name based structure .... one name with all associated covers and the manual nested underneath. That way a visitor can see all items available for a particular game with one click.
But then again .... I'm no site designer so maybe it's too hard to do this? .... just a suggestion anyways.......

Cheers

That is already on the agenda. I am not worried if it will be tough or not as it needs to be done. I plan on having it listed as you suggest with a notation of what type of DVD/game case the cover image was designed for as well as what region the original game was from. This will also include manuals.

As far as the layout, I am scrapping all of it and doing it from the ground up. I have been laying things out all day trying to get something that I am happy with. So far I haven't hit the paydirt yet.
Posted Image

#1425 TheValeman

TheValeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

That is already on the agenda. I am not worried if it will be tough or not as it needs to be done. I plan on having it listed as you suggest with a notation of what type of DVD/game case the cover image was designed for as well as what region the original game was from. This will also include manuals.

As far as the layout, I am scrapping all of it and doing it from the ground up. I have been laying things out all day trying to get something that I am happy with. So far I haven't hit the paydirt yet.

If you wanted it up fast you could take a simplistic approach something like....

Posted Image

Not much reprograming required .....list on the left altered to show the individual game .... pic displayed could be pulled at random from available covers or default to USA being the most popular and clicking on the cover type brings up the appropriate image. Download button would initiate the download for the highlighted image etc. PDF button should open a new window with pdf displayed seperately. We could nest individual region manuals under the image buttons so users would know a manual is for japan if under the JPN image button etc... a little nasty I know ....but .....

It may be an easy implementation for you in the short term and allow you to get a final version up with all sorts of extra information at a later date. I think it would be great to structure a page to show information about game type, release dates, interesting facts & figures etc .... sort of a one stop shop for information about the game along with the covers, manuals etc. I would also like to see the ability to show the labels for the carts as well if possible. After all ... I cant be the only one which ex-rental carts that would love to replace ripped,damaged ones with a nice shiny new one :-)

#1426 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

If you wanted it up fast you could take a simplistic approach something like....

Posted Image

Not much reprograming required .....list on the left altered to show the individual game .... pic displayed could be pulled at random from available covers or default to USA being the most popular and clicking on the cover type brings up the appropriate image. Download button would initiate the download for the highlighted image etc. PDF button should open a new window with pdf displayed seperately. We could nest individual region manuals under the image buttons so users would know a manual is for japan if under the JPN image button etc... a little nasty I know ....but .....

It may be an easy implementation for you in the short term and allow you to get a final version up with all sorts of extra information at a later date. I think it would be great to structure a page to show information about game type, release dates, interesting facts & figures etc .... sort of a one stop shop for information about the game along with the covers, manuals etc. I would also like to see the ability to show the labels for the carts as well if possible. After all ... I cant be the only one which ex-rental carts that would love to replace ripped,damaged ones with a nice shiny new one :-)

Thanks for the feedback. When I start doing the database design this week I will account for all of those things and see if we can't get a pretty decent site online. With the whole facts and figures and release date info I will definitely need some help on the administration part of things. Do I have any immediate volunteers? :)
Posted Image

#1427 SMMM

SMMM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

Another suggestion would be to set up user pages for contributors, to show what/how much they've contributed. Like Valeman, I'm no programmer so that's probably too hard/time consuming....I just wanted to see how much Valeman's contributed (must be in hundreds somewhere). lol

#1428 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

I should also mention that I am going to take an Image Shack type of approach and create a thumbnailing script for us to link to things on forums. The site will also have it's own forum for discussion and creation of the covers.
Posted Image

#1429 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

Another suggestion would be to set up user pages for contributors, to show what/how much they've contributed. Like Valeman, I'm no programmer so that's probably too hard/time consuming....I just wanted to see how much Valeman's contributed (must be in hundreds somewhere). lol

Nope, will be easy. I will set that up as part of the planned statistics page.
Posted Image

#1430 TheValeman

TheValeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

ROFL ..... I checked my imageshack page and it currently stands at 216 images. Taking off a few for misc stuff I think it still comes up on the high side of 200. Jeez ....

Still .... I may have contributed a heap more than 100 scans personally taking into account the volume of PAL covers submitted and a big volume of US ... but there's still 70+ probably where you guys submitted raw scans and I merely created the cover ..... so kudo's to everyone whose contributed to get us to where we are today.

And big thanks to Snowcone andSnack-bar for providing the web-hosting space for all this stuff. My covers directory stands at 1.8gb's so I know there's some cost for storing this stuff and bandwidth for downloads etc.

UPDATE: While I was in the mood I decided to whack up Schenley's Nightmare Creatures .....

Posted Image

#1431 TheValeman

TheValeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback. When I start doing the database design this week I will account for all of those things and see if we can't get a pretty decent site online. With the whole facts and figures and release date info I will definitely need some help on the administration part of things. Do I have any immediate volunteers? :)

I'd be happy to pitch in ... after all ... manuals, covers, labels etc ... gotta have something else to fill in the time on top of all those eh :)

Schenley or SMMM ..... might you guys have some time too? Plenty of info on the games on the interweb ... just a matter of searching it all out.

UPDATE: Here's Schenley's A Bug's Life ..... finally ....

Posted Image

And my games arrived today .... 1st up is NBA In the Zone '98 .........

Posted Image

Another treat ... NFL Blitz 2001 to now finish off ALL the blitz games on N64 ......

Posted Image

And lastly for tonight is NFL Quarterback Club 2000 ..........

Posted Image

One to go .... California Speed ... I'll get that up tomorrow sometime. That's my lot until I've paid this set off....

#1432 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

And big thanks to Snowcone andSnack-bar for providing the web-hosting space for all this stuff. My covers directory stands at 1.8gb's so I know there's some cost for storing this stuff and bandwidth for downloads etc.

The covers directory alone shows 4GB of images as it stands on our host.
Posted Image

#1433 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

Wow this is really exciting. My main suggestion would be to just focus on making the best covers site possible for now, rather than trying to make a site that encompasses too much. The game info idea is neat, but IMO you're better off focusing on one major service, at least to start with.

#1434 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

That's the plan backlash. Get a nice solid foundation and then move from there and add features until we crush everyone.

In my searching I did find a site with some decent scans, but I am not sure how that would play out being a competitor.

http://www.covergalaxy.com is the only site that seems like a major player in this market. All the other sites are out there to make money and shove ads in your face first and then provide covers.
Posted Image

#1435 SMMM

SMMM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:08 PM

That's the plan backlash. Get a nice solid foundation and then move from there and add features until we crush everyone.

In my searching I did find a site with some decent scans, but I am not sure how that would play out being a competitor.

http://www.covergalaxy.com is the only site that seems like a major player in this market. All the other sites are out there to make money and shove ads in your face first and then provide covers.

A big problem with Covers Galaxy though is that they're all/most are direct scans. They don't seem too fond of templates. Notice how they're all different sizes and such. Plus, the site design is pretty awful.

#1436 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

Yep. The nice thing about these projects, and your new site, is that they are about covers, not just scans. The jpgs are tailored to look like each other (in most cases) and to be used in very specific cases. Your site should definitely have an extensive faq and how-to section regarding both using the covers (how to print, where to buy cases, etc) and how to contribute (how to scan, how to edit to the template specifications, etc).

#1437 TheValeman

TheValeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

Yep. The nice thing about these projects, and your new site, is that they are about covers, not just scans. The jpgs are tailored to look like each other (in most cases) and to be used in very specific cases. Your site should definitely have an extensive faq and how-to section regarding both using the covers (how to print, where to buy cases, etc) and how to contribute (how to scan, how to edit to the template specifications, etc).

Instructions on how to make covers? Yep ......

However, the way we're going at present we'll have all the covers done for N64 really soon now. Once I've paid off the games I just purchased I'll be buying another lot for the cause. wshbrngr has chimed in with some nice covers also recently so momentum is going nicely at present. Schenley also has a few more to go from his recent purchases. Nate is AWOL but has also purchased covers too.....

Still .... must be a bazillion GBA covers and NDS and so forth .... dont think I could afford to help out there so getting people onto those covers is probably higher priority than N64 at present....

#1438 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

Instructions on how to make covers? Yep ......

Still .... must be a bazillion GBA covers and NDS and so forth .... dont think I could afford to help out there so getting people onto those covers is probably higher priority than N64 at present....

I'd think the priority would be games that are commonly found without cases/boxes. Most people probably have their NDS cases still (I'd hope). GBA, SNES, even old-school NES would be more helpful to most people, I think.

Probably PS1 as well, since those are very commonly found as disc-only. Of course, the cases for PS1 are just CD cases, so it wouldn't take nearly as much work to fix up scans.

#1439 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

I will focus just as much on how to make these covers as presenting them. I am also going to setup a forum for discussion and I was even thinking of setting up an app for you guys to manage which games we had done and which we still needed as well as FTP space for you to manage raw scans etc.
Posted Image

#1440 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Probably PS1 as well, since those are very commonly found as disc-only. Of course, the cases for PS1 are just CD cases, so it wouldn't take nearly as much work to fix up scans.

If you want them in DVD cases it will :)
Posted Image