Photo
* * * * - 28 votes

TRU: $25 Gift Card w/WiiU, Save $20 on any 2 PS4/XboxOne Games / Updated Through Dec. 31st

Toys R Us FRONTBURNR Deals Video Games

• Please log in to reply
2385 replies to this topic

#2371 snacks28217

snacks28217

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

I think he was sick of how TRU treated him (and some cag's).

#2372 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

TRU will never win on this site since they are consistently overpriced on most items. Until they stop charging $1-5 over MSRP for everything I will not be shopping there.

#2373 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

I think he was sick of how TRU treated him (and some cag's).

Did he quit TRU & CAG?

#2374 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

One would believe so. My understanding is that he was serving as a consultant and advising TRU on their videogame sales strategy, however he wasn't in an internal position the way he previously was at K-mart. Once he requested that Cheapy unsticky the TRU thread, I think it was a clear sign that things weren't looking too bright.

Interestingly, the TRU videogame deals have all but dried up and, as a personal experience, I ended up wasting my last 2 $15 off $60 coupons because Best Buy was consistently providing better prices on games. That's been rather disappointing, but I guess TRU is back to being pre-FrontBurnr TRU ... sigh

#2375 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

I saw Adventure Time Season 3 DVD today. Was tempted to get it.

#2376 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

Guess SHC and now TRU doesn't care about the video game community. Or is it the exploitation of deals. Probably why we can't have nice things.

Josh is still active on Twitter though.

My First Ever Lowball: Live now! Ends 6/28!  http://www.cheapassg...ll-auction-v10/

#2377 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

TRU doesn't need to care because they have tons of soccer moms who will come in and buy things at full price as a gift for their kids or for a gift for another kid. They don't need sales since they are the only toy store left basically and people will buy from them no matter what.

#2378 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

TRU has had a bunch of deals, but it's all for $20 and under games. And the TMNT and Angry Birds games that ends in an hour or so.

#2379 abbabaab

abbabaab

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

I was wondering what happened to this thread. RIP.

......I wonder if that TMNT/Angry Birds "deal" a couple months ago has anything to do with it, or if it was a sort of "swan song" for FrontBurnr...

#2380 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

... not good deals lately, just the same mediocre shovelware deals they were doing before Josh got involved

#2381 Pocolius

Pocolius

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

... not good deals lately, just the same mediocre shovelware deals they were doing before Josh got involved

Lego Marvel for $19.99/$29.99 (weather messed with their shipments, if things had gone as planned, would have probably been a restock of them later in the week), COD Ghosts for $29.99 currently, $10 GC with the new Donkey Kong this coming weekend. Not saying they're amazing deals by any means, but I hardly call those shovelware deals.

#2382 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Guess SHC and now TRU doesn't care about the video game community. Or is it the exploitation of deals. Probably why we can't have nice things.
Josh is still active on Twitter though.

Kmart & TRU are kinda the most outta touch store in regards to gaming. Kmart is truly blah in ever way compared to Walmart/Target their stores still look like it`s 1990. And TRU still wants $60 something for the street fighter 4 CE.

TRU doesn't need to care because they have tons of soccer moms who will come in and buy things at full price as a gift for their kids or for a gift for another kid. They don't need sales since they are the only toy store left basically andpeople. will buy from them no matter what.

I don`t know it`s the soccer moms that are the extreme couponers & stuff. I think BabiesRus is what keeps them afloat Walmart`s seem to have the soccer moms vote & then target.

#2383 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

TRU will never really be competitive until they fix their assinine shipping charges. $7 to ship a video game kills 99% of the deals they offer.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#2384 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Most TRU's here are a combined Babies R Us and Toys R Us. Other than department stores they are the only toy store around here. When I was little every where there was a toy store, but now there are none. The market for toys is really shrinking, but every house I go over with kids, there are piles and piles of toys. So someone is clearly buying them.

Again I am not sure who is shopping at Babies R US, they are more expensive than most places. There is so much baby stuff available second hand here for a fraction of the cost of new I have no idea who would shop at a pricey store for it. Especially if you are having a kid, that will suck all the money away from you and who will outgrow everything you buy for them in a matter of a week. I know some things have to be bought new due to safety regulations but still there is an awful lot of second hand stuff that is in like new condition that can still be used. I think it would take less time to find second hand things than it would be to go to Babies R Us to buy new, pricey things.

I agree that Walmart and Target seem to get the soccer mom votes. What really gets the votes from me is the grocery stores, all our grocery stores double coupons here up to 99 cents I think, and they have promotions and sales which Walmart does not. Due to this I can get most things at the grocery stores for less than the cost of items at Walmart. Target also has good promotions and sales and you can stack mobile coupons, manufacturer coupons and target coupons for great deals. There are entire blogs dedicated to couponing at Target. Walmart does not have free in-store wifi, Target does. I also went to Walmart over Christmas once, and I realized that most of the items cost more there than even the regular price at the grocery store without coupons or any discounts so I am clearly not saving money by shopping there. Therefore I just shop at the grocery store now. Any savings I might find at Walmart are negated by the shopping experience, which is quite possibly the WORST shopping experience of my life. Walmart used to be OK, but I have no idea what happened, its just so terrible I can't even bear to go in the store.

Toys R Us is just not in close enough proximity for me to be dealing with it regularly. That is another problem. I also do not get their ads in our Sunday paper. Sure I can look online, but it seems there are a lot of sales that are only advertised in the store or through email, which I don't get.

I do not have a problem with the shopping experience at TRU (unless its Black Friday), I was in one over the weekend, and one clerk clearly went above and beyond to help me, moreso than I have seen at any retail store ever in my life. Unfortunately their corporate policies and jacking up of the cost of items ruins the store.

#2385 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Lego Marvel for $19.99/$29.99 (weather messed with their shipments, if things had gone as planned, would have probably been a restock of them later in the week), COD Ghosts for $29.99 currently, $10 GC with the new Donkey Kong this coming weekend. Not saying they're amazing deals by any means, but I hardly call those shovelware deals.

True, the LEGO Marvel deal was good but it did seem like lack of stock made it much less appealing, regardless of the issues behind the shipping delays. They're sort of trying but it's not the hard press I saw before Christmas with pre-order bonuses, etc. I had hoped they were ramping up the competition but it sort of petered out.

#2386 Dakoshakid

Dakoshakid

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Most TRU's here are a combined Babies R Us and Toys R Us. Other than department stores they are the only toy store around here. When I was little every where there was a toy store, but now there are none. The market for toys is really shrinking, but every house I go over with kids, there are piles and piles of toys. So someone is clearly buying them.

Again I am not sure who is shopping at Babies R US, they are more expensive than most places. There is so much baby stuff available second hand here for a fraction of the cost of new I have no idea who would shop at a pricey store for it. Especially if you are having a kid, that will suck all the money away from you and who will outgrow everything you buy for them in a matter of a week. I know some things have to be bought new due to safety regulations but still there is an awful lot of second hand stuff that is in like new condition that can still be used. I think it would take less time to find second hand things than it would be to go to Babies R Us to buy new, pricey things.

I agree that Walmart and Target seem to get the soccer mom votes. What really gets the votes from me is the grocery stores, all our grocery stores double coupons here up to 99 cents I think, and they have promotions and sales which Walmart does not. Due to this I can get most things at the grocery stores for less than the cost of items at Walmart. Target also has good promotions and sales and you can stack mobile coupons, manufacturer coupons and target coupons for great deals. There are entire blogs dedicated to couponing at Target. Walmart does not have free in-store wifi, Target does. I also went to Walmart over Christmas once, and I realized that most of the items cost more there than even the regular price at the grocery store without coupons or any discounts so I am clearly not saving money by shopping there. Therefore I just shop at the grocery store now. Any savings I might find at Walmart are negated by the shopping experience, which is quite possibly the WORST shopping experience of my life. Walmart used to be OK, but I have no idea what happened, its just so terrible I can't even bear to go in the store.

Toys R Us is just not in close enough proximity for me to be dealing with it regularly. That is another problem. I also do not get their ads in our Sunday paper. Sure I can look online, but it seems there are a lot of sales that are only advertised in the store or through email, which I don't get.

I do not have a problem with the shopping experience at TRU (unless its Black Friday), I was in one over the weekend, and one clerk clearly went above and beyond to help me, moreso than I have seen at any retail store ever in my life. Unfortunately their corporate policies and jacking up of the cost of items ruins the store.

The only thing good about babies r us is they will price match ANY price...basically any website for baby stuff they will pm. They also let you use coupons off pm'ed stuff etc...