What are your next gen plans? (Can delete vote and vote again if your plans change)

dmaul1114

Banned
There's a lot of uproar over the Xbox One reveal. Given that, what consoles do you plan on buying based on what we know so far?

I've got a 3DS, so I'll be keeping that as there's lots I want to get and play.

No way I'll get a Wii U after getting, and ditching, a Wii twice this gen.

No PC gaming for me as I don't want a PC in my living room as the TV stand is too cluttered already, and I'm not gaming at my desk (after working at a desk all day) on a monitor instead of my 55" TV. A Steambox could be a possibility though if one ever comes out.

So, for now, it's between Xbox One and PS4 for me, or opting to skip the generation. I'm in wait and see mode there.

The 360 has been my most played console by far this generation, I love Gears and Halo, my friends and family game on Xbox and not PS3 etc. I also was intrigued by the TV stuff they showed--but I'm very skeptical it will work anywhere near that fast and seamlessly in switching modes, changing channels etc., and that it will end up locked into certain providers. I also don't like all the DRM rumors, used game fees etc. So definitely need more info there.

PS3 I've had for a year and a half. It's a solid system. I don't dig the exclusives as much as MS's, and don't care for the side by side sticks on that controller (which are similarly placed on the PS4 controller). But I could end up leaning that way if MS does have all the DRM, used game fees etc. and Sony doesn't. So again, in wait and see mode.

If both have all the fees and other BS I'll likely just stick with the 3DS, 360 and PS3 as I have plenty of highly reviewed games I've missed this generation to keep me busy for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 for me. I really grew tired of the 360 and didn't care very much for the games outside of Crackdown honestly. Their more media focused console doesn't interest me as cutting down on a couple button presses isn't worth the cost of what the Xbox will be.

Plus, now that I have a Vita, I'm interested to see the integration between that and the PS4. Hopefully it doesn't turn out as bad as the PSP/PS3 link did.

And I'm also interested to see the potential of the Steambox.

I chose PS4, at least for now. It's what has me the most excited for a new console. It just seems to me like PS Plus has been a better value than XBOX Live. I've really been considering going 1 console next gen as opposed to 3, to cut down on backlog. I also have a Vita (and loving it) so I'm interested to see what they bring to the table with that.

I also like the approach that Sony is taking in terms of courting indies, streaming services like Gaikai, PS Plus and pushing games above all else. At the end of the day that's what it's about. I've always been a strong Nintendo advocate but this generation I've lost interest, I'm even considering selling my 3DS because I just don't find myself playing it all that much. RE: Revelations and Super Mario Land were amazing but most of the newer stuff is a little too similar to the stuff I've played in the past from them. I'm just not feeling it.

I have a PC with a 5770 graphics card that does just fine currently so it could be an option to upgrade that down the road. Like some others though I don't have it hooked up to my main TV and although I enjoy it not sure I could ever be 100% a PC gamer. I'd be interested in a steambox but there are just too many unanswered questions with something like that. They want the hardware to be small and living room friendly but then you aren't going to get as powerful a machine like you could build on your own. I've toyed with the thought of building a smaller box with something like a Silverstone SG07 for the TV...not sure I want to do this though anymore....as like I said I'd like to keep it a bit simpler this gen.

I think with digital distribution and DRM issues this will be a growing pains generation. I'm also thinking this one may last just as long if not longer than this one. Strap in folks were headed for a bumpy ride.

Consoles are essentially PCs now, so might as well go with the cheaper and more powerful one (my own).

Handhelds are still cool, though.

Use a PC for newest games + wait and see mode for next gen consoles + catching up on backlog on current consoles!

Serious question: Who still watches live TV? My parents are the only ones I know who still use cable (others Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc), and they have a DVR. As far as I heard, the XB1 isn't a DVR and only shows live TV. Maybe once a year at superbowl is that a thing, otherwise just wait 30+min and watch from DVR+FastForward.

If the XB1 does let you control your Tivo/DVR, I'd argue my parents hit the 1 button on remote to switch to TV/DVR faster than saying Xbox go to TV....Xbox now go to DVR.

Edit: And by backlog I mean NEW games that are coming out all year + next year. All games announced are cross-gen with version only coming out on current gen, or both current/new.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Consoles are essentially PCs now, so might as well go with the cheaper and more powerful one (my own).

Handhelds are still cool, though.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. They're basically using off the shelf stuff now, so why not just make the jump to PC gaming? I love having my 3ds and Vita for just playing games right before I go to bed, or when I get some free time.

I'm planning on getting the ps4 eventually unless they do the same with used games. If they do, then it'll probably be time to think about investing in a gaming pc.

Split the difference between "Xbox One" and "Wait and see mode"... I'm pretty invested in Xbox Live, my friends list and gamerscore, etc., so I'm sure I'll end up sticking with Microsoft despite the poor showing the Xbone has made so far. But I'm certainly in no hurry.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']
Serious question: Who still watches live TV? My parents are the only ones I know who still use cable (others Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc), and they have a DVR.
[/QUOTE]

Sports fans. That's why they can charge so mich for ads for sporting events.

I have DirecTV solely for sports--I DVR other things but would just use Netflix and/or Hulu of it wasn't for sports. I need cable or satellite and the sports pack to get the regional channels for my college teams games in HD.

And I want to watch live so the score doesn't get spoiled by friends texting, tweeting, posting on Facebook, calling etc.

I'm going to wait a year or so before I buy to see how things pan out. It seems like hardware issues and barren lineups are a very common issue these days.

The X1 is definitely a no buy... there is nothing appealing about the X1, other than the fact that they finally fixed the d-pad on controller, but that seems pointless since it has no exclusives I want.

The Wii U is a maybe since Nintendo basically lost the casual market and means they now have to make good games, rather than shit like Wii Fit and overly nostalgic sequels.

The PS4 is a maybe as well depending on the price and games. The hardware sounds great but without BC, I'm going to wait to see how the games turn out. None of the games revealed thus far interest me all that much.

I plan on building a new PC by the end of the year though.

Dont have a working tv anymore, no plans to replace it. Full portable for me. Strangely enough, I might end up getting a WiiU mid cycle since I can treat it like a portable.

I'm very interested in the Playstation 4, whether I get one at launch or not will depend on which third-party publishers implement DRM in their single-player games.

I will never buy an Xbox One. Requiring online and requiring Kinect are both deal breakers for me individually, both is even worse.

I will buy a Wii U when it has more games of interest and is around $150. There were less than 15 games of interest on Wii and I doubt Wii U will have any more.

I will continue to play plenty of games on PC, but it will probably switch to my secondary system after PS4 is released (depending on the DRM on PS4). As a side note, I will probably buy an Xbox One controller for my PC at some point (assuming it's compatible).

I don't like the pathetically low resolution, the overpriced games, and the saving on the cartridge of the 3DS so I'm not interested in that. I'll get a Vita when it's around $120 with a 16GB memory card.

All these people voting for PS4 before their used game restrictions are announced. You can bet it is coming.. We will need a new poll after E3.

Might be time to retire. Not quit. Retire. Sick of drowning in the bullshit that has become the so-called video game industry.

I voted a combination of Xbox One and Wait and See. I can be convinced to switch or wait further down the line all together, but I enjoy my gamerscore, Xbox games, etc. For me, software sells it.

Lets say MS announces new Crackdown, Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie games. Or new Mechwarrior, Brute Force, Sudeki, or Fable games. Maybe Shadow Complex 2 or Halo Wars 2. Or any variation of these games. I would most certainly be much more interested in the XB1.

I don't personally have much hope for some of these, since I see MS pushing the new Kinect 2.0 with some of those 15 exclusive games, but there might be some good stuff we don't know yet. Software sells the hardware, not the other way around IMO.

[quote name='cancerman1120']All these people voting for PS4 before their used game restrictions are announced. You can bet it is coming.. We will need a new poll after E3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, lets wait until we know all about the Xbox One AND the PS4 and how they both plan those things. See how the tide changes.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Consoles are essentially PCs now, so might as well go with the cheaper and more powerful one (my own).

Handhelds are still cool, though.[/QUOTE]
Yup. Well, won't necessarily be cheaper for me, since my desktop compy's ooooold and will almost certainly be replaced before the year's out.

Love my 3DS XL so far, despite some initial problems. The 3DS is easily going to be my main JRPG platform in the "next gen", just like the DS was for this one (and kinda still will be to some extent, what with my backlog...).

Even the Vita looks more appealing to me than the PS4 and XBONE at this point in time, but I have so much to play right now that getting one's not a priority.

Since they're not out I'll wait and see. I'll be enjoying the current generation consoles in the meantime.

Hell, Call of Duty is going to be out on current gen systems anyway. Where do you think the most online players will be for Ghosts anyway?

[quote name='willardhaven']Since they're not out I'll wait and see. I'll be enjoying the current generation consoles in the meantime.

Hell, Call of Duty is going to be out on current gen systems anyway. Where do you think the most online players will be for Ghosts anyway?[/QUOTE]
but eventually those cod players will have to move on to the next gen xbox one, after activision stop producing the next call of duty title on current gen xbox 360. The question is when.

[quote name='YBX87']but eventually those cod players will have to move on to the next gen xbox one, after activision stop producing the next call of duty title on current gen xbox 360. The question is when.[/QUOTE]

The fall 2014 iteration most likely since Ghosts is coming to current gen machines.

Having never owned a Nintendo DS, I've been thinking of getting a 3DS for SMT IV.

The internet requirement is currently a problem for me. I'm leaning heavily towards PS4, but it will be wait and see.

I have a huge backlog of :ps2:, :psp:, and :ps3: games still to play, so I am in no rush to plunk down several hundred dollars.

[quote name='bkjohns1']Having never owned a Nintendo DS, I've been thinking of getting a 3DS for SMT IV.

The internet requirement is currently a problem for me. I'm leaning heavily towards PS4, but it will be wait and see.

I have a huge backlog of :ps2:, :psp:, and :ps3: games still to play, so I am in no rush to plunk down several hundred dollars.[/QUOTE]
if you plan to eventually move on to the next gen console, whether it is now, or later down the road. This issue will not go away, you are going to have to deal with it eventually. I personally have no problem with buying games new, but i will just wait till the game drops to below $20 when it comes to the next gen games, before buying it. With my backlog, i do not see a problem. I will probably play my ps3 for another 2-4 years, or as long as it is still operational, before making the jump to next gen.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, I could give a big F U, to both new consoles (assuming Sony follows suit), and put that $1,000 into upgrading my PC.

The problem with this strategy is two fold:

1. Think of all the exclusive Xbox and Playstation games that won't be coming to PC.

2. I'm not sure that this super low PC game prices situation that is currently in effect is going to stay in effect with the arrival of Next-Gen. If games drop in price as fast on PC as they always have, why would anybody buy the Next-Gen machines ? Why not just buy a PC to get the price drops. It makes me think that the big publishers are going to behave differently with their big consoles games when they come over to the PC.

The other strategy, is to buy both a PS4 and XB1 and simply buy less games than normal, and be extremely choosy with the games I pick. Basically, I would only have a couple of games in my library at any one time. Instead of having a library of like 10 to 15 games.

There is one major upside to this... It will force me to focus in on just a couple of games, and this will cause me to eventually finish said games, and I won't have as big a backlog to deal with.

[quote name='Anthony1']I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, I could give a big F U, to both new consoles (assuming Sony follows suit), and put that $1,000 into upgrading my PC.

The problem with this strategy is two fold:

1. Think of all the exclusive Xbox and Playstation games that won't be coming to PC.

2. I'm not sure that this super low PC game prices situation that is currently in effect is going to stay in effect with the arrival of Next-Gen. If games drop in price as fast on PC as they always have, why would anybody buy the Next-Gen machines ? Why not just buy a PC to get the price drops. It makes me think that the big publishers are going to behave differently with their big consoles games when they come over to the PC.

The other strategy, is to buy both a PS4 and XB1 and simply buy less games than normal, and be extremely choosy with the games I pick. Basically, I would only have a couple of games in my library at any one time. Instead of having a library of like 10 to 15 games.

There is one major upside to this... It will force me to focus in on just a couple of games, and this will cause me to eventually finish said games, and I won't have as big a backlog to deal with.[/QUOTE]
the only issue with moving to pc, is you will have to constantly update hardware inside your pc like graphics card, which is not cheap at all, and such in order to keep up the pace with the higher demand of graphics from newer games. It require updating on yearly/ more frequently. As oppose to the next gen console, even with their inferior graphics compare to pc, it will take atleast 5-6 years, atleast before another new gen console is released.

Leaning heavily toward PS4 but I'll wait until after E3 to make a decision. Won't buy an Xbox at all most likely but may get more into PC gaming if the PS4 is as bad as the X1 with the restrictions and such.

I really don't need anymore games, but if Nintendo put out a Pokemon MMORPG or 2-3 Full Pokemon RPG's on the Wii U then I would seriously consider one. But hopefully by the time this happens there will be a better model of the Wii U out.

My TV stand is cluttered and I only have 2 HDMI ports which are both full so for me to get something else I would have to let something else go.

With the crap that is going on in the industry now I really can't see myself dropping $500 for a console that will eventually be replaced by a smaller and better version when I probably already own enough games to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

[quote name='Anthony1']

There is one major upside to this... It will force me to focus in on just a couple of games, and this will cause me to eventually finish said games, and I won't have as big a backlog to deal with.[/QUOTE]

I'll just buy one or the other of the PS4/XB1 and definitely do that with my game buying. Ideally even more extreme and just have one game a at time--maybe two if there's one game I'm playing with friends online and one single player game at a time.

I did that for a couple of years this generation before grabbing a PS3 and Wii (for the 2nd time)--only had a 360, never had more than 2 or 3 games. I enjoyed gaming more then as I took more time with games, finished games, didn't feel pressured to just get done with a game to move on to another and work on the backlog etc.

I'll likely opt for the Xbox One at launch if I can get my hands on the $300 plus subscription model.

Then have a wait and see approach to the PS4. Likely would opt for it after a price drop and after the exclusive games start to add up.

will go Wii U + PC + PS4

Already have Wii U
PC, will build a new one. currently running Radeon 5850 and it is seeing its age. Will refresh whenever I need to.
PS4 because I still need my JRPG fix (while most are on handheld, FF versus and what not will still pull me back in line.)
X1. sort of interested in the kinect and other media function but I have no cable and use Roku. Will see when it is actually released.

basically wii u and pc as main gaming platform, ps4+x1 for exclusives/other media functions.

What javery said. I will play the waiting game. Especially with the large amount of info that we don't know, I think its too early to tell.

[quote name='YBX87']the only issue with moving to pc, is you will have to constantly update hardware inside your pc like graphics card, which is not cheap at all, and such in order to keep up the pace with the higher demand of graphics from newer games. It require updating on yearly/ more frequently. As oppose to the next gen console, even with their inferior graphics compare to pc, it will take atleast 5-6 years, atleast before another new gen console is released.[/QUOTE]

That's actually not true anymore, it was 5 years ago or so. But take my PC for example, I run a AMD Athlon 2 X4 quad 2.8. It's old, like 4 years old or so but it's still blazing fast. I do have 16 GB of ram. Also look at this, that processor and Asus motherboard after rebate was $90.00, 16GB of ram was $40.00. Then my Video card was a Radeon 4870, which was old but still played games like Max Payne 3 just fine. I skipped the 5870 and 6870 series and just upgraded like a month ago to a 7870 for $200.00 plus I got Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for free. If you build your own you can recycle alot of components like the DVD drive, power supply, case, hard drive, etc. So very little goes to waste. Plus most components are super cheap if you look for sales like on Newegg or at Fry's.

Don't get wrong, I'm not a PC fanboy or anything. I'm of fan of deals. I really don't like overspending on video games. Like many others have said this generation of consoles are pretty much PC's anyways. So when you think about it, doesn't it just make sense to do a PC build? Especially since most of the PC problems have been worked out. For example the 360 controller works with most modern games, PC gaming controllers was a BIG problem for a LONG time. But now that's finally resolved. You can do either the wired or wireless. Then the TV thing, Most modern video cards have dual outs, mine has 1 hdmi and 2 dvi. So DVI to the monitor, HDMI to the TV. Problem solved. Windows 7 is great and can take care of many driver issues with the exception of Video card drivers. But downloading and installing Catalyst isn't that big of a deal. Then the Steam "Big Picture" mode has a great layout and can be controlled with the controller sitting on the couch. It'll even tell you if the game you select is playable with the controller. So that problem is also solved.

As far as crazy cheap prices for games on PC, I've thought about this a lot and came to the conclusion that it makes sense when you think about it. When a company releases a game and does the pre-orders and everyone that was willing to buy the game at $60.00 bought it already. Since the game is made already and games on Steam and Origin are just digital anyways. Why not sell the game for cheap and bring in more cash? It's doesn't really "cost" anything anyways, since there is no physical media and PC has low licensing fees. Just look at the Alan Wake Humble weekly Bundle. Pay what you want and pay $1.00 or more and get steam codes for Alan Wake CE and American Nightmare. That's an old game but it's a great game and has brought in $500,000.00 in less than a week already! That's crazy!

So for this next gen, there is no next gen for me. I think I'll get a cheap 3TB hard drive for my PC and call it a generation. Well that is until Nintendo releases a new Zelda for Wii U because I don't think I'll be able to pass that up. Stupid Link always takes my money, but Zelda games are so great!

If we are talking about eventualities-Eventually I'll probably own everything, it's just my gamer nature to want to. I do currently have a Wii U and a 3DS and enjoy them plenty atm. As far as immediate plans? Neither Xbox One or PS4 are really a must buy for me as of now because neither has shown really compelling games IMHO. Granted E3 is coming up, but with how launches tend to go, I doubt I'll be getting a new console this year. Maybe upgrade to an XL...

I was all ready to get another Xbox, but after hearing about the always-online, 24hr check-in, 2nd hand game debacle, kinect, tv/movie thing. Forget it. All I want is a simple gaming console that does one thing well and doesn't require internet connection.

I'm going back to playstation.
And I'd just like to add, even if MS comes out and changes their "online" policy, I still ain't buying their product because of this.

Setting aside the "will the PS4 have DRM too?" argument for now, there is just absolutely nothing about the Xbox One that appeals to me. The #1 thing I buy a system for is the games, and I just don't care about ANY of the Xbox's exclusives. Sony got the bulk of the exclusive "quircky" Japanese games this gen along with the JRPGs and I don't see that changing, especially since MS has given up on making any progress selling to Japan. And as far as first-parties go, I'll take Naughty Dog alone over anything MS has - not to mention all of their other first-party devs (really looking forward to inFamous: Second Son).

I have a Wii-U now, I'll get a PS4 and that's it (and yeah, I still game on my PC too but I doubt I'll be upgrading it again for a while).

Wait and see, but leaning forwards PS4.. Not impressed with new xbox which is disappointing after being pretty much solely xbox since 2003

'Wait and See mode'

While I am leaning more towards PC & Xbone, there is still half a year to go and things can change in during that time for better, or worse
(how much more at this point? :lol: )

I have a Wii U, Ouya and 3DS.

If Microsoft doesn't shift course, I won't be buying an Xbox One.
I'll be picking up a PS4, so long as Sony doesn't do something really stupid. (See Xbox One)

I guess I'm still in wait and see mode, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a Wii U, Ouya, 3DS, Vita and PS4.

Wait and see, I'm one of the people who like the Xbox exclusives more so even though there's some stuff I don't like that I read it mainly comes down to the games for me. Not to mention with that big Microsoft Store points thing happening if they convert over to money on Xbox One I could score some launch games digitally cheap so that helps out in that regard. I have a Wii U and both the current portables already as well though so no matter what happens even if I don't get either of the other next gen consoles I feel that I'm good already at least.

I really disliked the Xbox reveal. And everything is apparently centered on the already-hated Kinect. Ugh.

Anyway, wait and see mode. Right now leaning towards PS4, but it will be a year or two before I get a next-gen console, so I have time to play current gen games. Although it really helps for me to just watch out for prices, what friends play, reviews, games, etc.

I'll be all-hands-on-board eventually. I love collecting games and gaming systems, so its just a matter of time before I acquire all of the next-gen systems. The question is, which ones will get the most financial support from me by buying them earlier? The earlier I get a system, the more likely I will be to purchase more games for it at original retail price, as opposed to used. (which is better for the platform holder and developers) The systems I acquire earlier are usually more financially supported.

Although now that I think of it, that didn't really happen in this generation. I bought my PS3 last, but ended up purchasing more games for it than any other system. Kind of odd, that. I guess the order in which I buy systems doesn't have all THAT much bearing on how well I support them.

I've already acquired a Wii-U, as well as a 3DS and Vita. I'm not sure how early I will get a PS4 or XBox One. I'm going to see how those shake out before I decide to get in line for either one. I'm leaning toward the PS4 at the moment. The earlier 360 line-up was quite a bit more experimental, but their library just got more and more bland over time. I have no faith in Microsoft's game development at this point.

bread's done
Back