So... which giant TV should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

I'm in the market for a 70" TV. I'm leaning towards an LED TV but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on this stuff. It is tough to wade through all of the crap online.

THIS is the one I'm thinking about. Sharp 70-Inch LE757 Class Aquos® Quattron 1080p 240Hz LED 3D HDTV. Any thoughts or suggestions?

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#2 bear489

bear489

Give me them tags!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

I have the 60" model, been a great tv. I have had for over a year now and the only downside I have is when using 3d it has a ghosting image that is noticeable and the speakers are somewhat lacking.

#3 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

cnet or amazon review it. You are wasting money on 3d.

#4 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

cnet or amazon review it. You are wasting money on 3d.

You must not have looked into buying a TV in the past few years. Almost all high end TV's come with 3D standard.

Posted Image

#5 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

The biggest one you can afford, duh. ;)
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#6 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

For that price this is said to be the best television on the market. It's 60" and not 70" but I'd probably take the best out there a tiny bit smaller.

http://www.amazon.co...anandscathed-20

#7 Dezuria

Dezuria

Loading, please wait...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

...the speakers are somewhat lacking.

If you're gonna go 60" for a TV, don't gimp your setup by using the TVs built in speakers! Get a nice 5.1 receiver. :)

#8 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

The Quattrons are about as good an option as any for very large LED TVs. I'd recommend plasma for the 60+ in sizes though. When it comes to picture they usually perform better and are higher rated than their LED-LCD counterparts. Though you may have to settle for a 65 inch screen size.

If sticking with LCD, you may consider saving about $500-800 by going with a 120hz model. Sound like old tech I know but unless you are using it for hardcore gaming a lot then 240hz offers no real solid performance boost over 120hz (this includes 1080p TV & movies). 240hz has been on the market since like 2010 (maybe even '09) and for the vast majority of people it has never been worth it for the extra money it costs IMO.

#9 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

I disagree. If you watch sports and want a main television, you should have 240hz

#10 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I watch a lot of sports so refresh rate is important. I have a Panasonic 42" 1080i plasma that I have been extremely happy with (I bought it 9 years ago!). We have a little more wall space now which is why I want a bigger TV. I could easily fit an 80" in there but that's probably overkill which is why I settled on 70" - I think the 60" would look a little small but I don't know - I guess I'll mask it out with some painter's tape or something. I thought LED was the new hotness but maybe not - I really need to read up on all this stuff.

EDIT: Also, my kids have been asking for 3D and all of the animated blu-rays we have are in 3D so I told them I'd spring for it. I don't think I care either way.

#11 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

What downside is there to plasma, if any? How about use for video games? Which is better? I could be in the market for a larger TV (not 70", but I could see getting a 50" set) sometime in the next year or so.

Crunchewy.png

#12 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

What downside is there to plasma, if any? How about use for video games? Which is better? I could be in the market for a larger TV (not 70", but I could see getting a 50" set) sometime in the next year or so.

Plasmas have two main downsides: weight and energy. My 50" weighs like 65 pounds. And they also go through 2 to 3 times more energy. But I personally feel as if they offer a better picture. Plus, their refresh rate is amazing (600Hz usually). When this one craps out (or I upgrade), I'll definitely be grabbing another plasma.

#13 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think plasmas definitely offer the best picture (bright colors, deep blacks, less glare, larger viewing angles, etc). But they also DEFNITELY consume a crap ton of energy. What some people may not think about with this is energy = heat. I'm sure the tech has gotten better since I got my 50" plasma in 2006, but back when my wife and I lived in a smaller apartment with baseboard heating, we actually went through a winter where we never had to use heat in the living room because just having the TV on was enough to keep things toasty in there, lol. Granted, this was in North Carolina, so it wasn't exactly frigid outside.

But I would imagine even the newer models still get hotter than LCD or LED. And yeah, plasmas weigh more...but that's not really a huge issue if you don't plan on moving it very often. Plasmas also tend to be more fragile due to the components inside (though mine has been moved in a truck four times since we've had it, and has survived just fine...yay Toshiba!). So, almost like with anything in life, there's a bit of a give and take. If you want the benefits of lower energy consumption and lighter weight, you'll be sacrificing a bit of picture quality. I can say though, if I was assessing the "negatives" with my plasma, none of it would have to do with its performance.

#14 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I've tried plasmas twice-a Visio back around 2007 and a Panasonic 55" UT50 this January. I ended up returning them both for the same reasons--buzzing in bright scenes and image retention.

Both times I did 100 hours of solid color slides to break them in and calibrate with a disk etc and the used them for two to three weeks to give them a fair shake. Pixel orbiter was on to limit image retention as well on the Panny

The picture was top notch, but the buzzing and image retention drove me nuts. Plasmas tend to buzz on bright scenes--but it's a big YMMV on whether you hear it and/or get annoyed by it. My ears seem particularly tuned into hearing that frequency of buzzing and electronic buzzing noises drive me nuts.

As for the image retention, my viewing involves a lot of static images from hours of ESPN, hours of games with HUDs etc. While permanent burn in isn't much of a risk anymore, IR is still an issue and I was always having the ESPN logo, Borderlands 2 HUD etc visible on bright scenes in shows and movies for several hours after long sessions. It did go away, but still drove me nuts. That said, I heard it becomes less of a problem after you have a lot of hours on the panel, like a 1,000 or more, and I only had a few hundred hours on mine so I can't speak to that.

I ended up going with a Panasonic 3D led set (55" ET5 series). The picture isn't as good as the plasma on dark scenes (can't beat plasma black levels) and it has a bit more motion blur than the plasma, but is still a pretty stunning picture. I'm also not a videophile at all really, so I'll take lesser picture quality for not being annoyed by buzzing or having to worry about image retention if I want to play a game all day or have espn on all day during college football etc.

For videophiles that may not be a reasonable tradeoff as PQ is their top concern. Though I'm sure the high end Sony and sharp led sets come closer to plasma PQ than do the mid range ones like he Panasonic I went with.

I'm hoping OLED sets will be able to match or exceed plasma black levels, handling of motion etc. without any IR problems or buzzing. But those are several years off for being in my price range (have never paid more than $1,000 for a TV, got my Panny LED for $899.99), so I'm happily enjoy my LED set for a good while.

Edited by dmaul1114, 29 May 2013 - 05:30 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#15 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

If you want to future-proof yourself, get a 4K Ultra High Definition TV (2160p). Much better viewing experience than current 3D. Sony has a $5000, 55" 4K 3D UHDTV, and a $7000, 65" 4K 3D UHDTV. These prices will continue to come down, as 4K continues to grow over the next 2-3 years.

http://www.amazon.co...-11&keywords=4k

I'll be in the market for a "giant" TV in 2-3 years, and if they're available at a reasonable price in Ireland, I'll be getting a 70-80 inch 4K UHDTV.

Or, in 5-10 years, you could get a 145" 8K UHDTV (4320p)...

#16 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

I was thinking about waiting and getting a 4K set but honestly I feel like I've been waiting long enough already just for 1080p. If I can get a TV around $2K or less I won't hesitate to upgrade to 4K in 7-10 years when it is the standard. If I spend another $5K now it will be much harder to justify. After all, the current TV I have was the "last one" I would ever buy... she had to know that wouldn't be the case, right? :)

#17 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Don't plasmas typically burn out sooner than most other tech too or am I making Shit up?

#18 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm kind of doubtful that 4k will ever become the standard.

People aren't going to be hot to upgrade TVs again just for more resolution that's not even noticeable at most people's TV size/viewing distance combo as you really need to be close to a TV or have a big projector set up etc. to really notice it. Here's a couple charts that shows when the different resolutions start to become noticeable:

Spoiler

Besides that, there's really not even much 1080p content. I know with direcTV the only thing that's 1080p are some of the PPV movies. All the live HD channels are 1080i or 720p.

I have a feeling that at best we'll see some 4K Bluray (or other) disc format that becomes a niche product for the videophiles/cinephiles much like Laserdisc was, rather than a standard like HD/Bluray.

Don't plasmas typically burn out sooner than most other tech too or am I making Shit up?

That used to be somewhat true, but now they don't reach half life (half brightness) for a really long time--forget exactly what it was but it was few decades based on 8 hours of use a day when I was researching them this winter.

Edited by dmaul1114, 29 May 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#19 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

I was thinking about waiting and getting a 4K set but honestly I feel like I've been waiting long enough already just for 1080p. If I can get a TV around $2K or less I won't hesitate to upgrade to 4K in 7-10 years when it is the standard. If I spend another $5K now it will be much harder to justify. After all, the current TV I have was the "last one" I would ever buy... she had to know that wouldn't be the case, right? :)

Also mathematically it would be cheaper in the long run if you're willing to wait that long. You're always playing catchup on the tech curve though

#20 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Also mathematically it would be cheaper in the long run if you're willing to wait that long. You're always playing catchup on the tech curve though

yeah - I'd rather enjoy a nice TV over the next couple of years anyway than wait for something that may or may not ever happen.

My plasma still looks AMAZING after 9 years. No burn-in (there is some image retention that goes away after about 30 seconds). No complaints.

#21 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Plasmas have two main downsides: weight and energy. My 50" weighs like 65 pounds. And they also go through 2 to 3 times more energy. But I personally feel as if they offer a better picture. Plus, their refresh rate is amazing (600Hz usually). When this one craps out (or I upgrade), I'll definitely be grabbing another plasma.

I am pretty sure that if I keep my plasma off for an entire month, my electric bill will be 80% cheaper :-\

#22 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

I'm kind of doubtful that 4k will ever become the standard.

1080p won't stay around forever. When 4K hits the $3000 and under price point for 60+ inch TVs, people will chose it over big 1080p TVs, even if big 1080ps TVs have dropped to a couple of hundred dollars.

I have a feeling that at best we'll see some 4K Bluray (or other) disc format

HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc) will replace blu-ray.

In my opinion, in 10 years, 50+ inch 4K TVs will be the average person's "new" TV for their main viewing room. In 15-20 years, 100+ inch 8K TVs will not be a rare thing for a lot of families, as long as they have a room big enough to accommodate them.

#23 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Go ahead and blow your wad on this Samsung set:

http://www.samsung.c.../UN75ES9000FXZA

Price will scare you off, without question. I didn't link you the $20K, 84" 4K TV to keep you from running away even quicker. ;)

My "big" TV is a 55" LG 55LE8500, which is a Full Backlit LED set with local dimming, which is lit from the back of the LCD panel, not the edge like a lot of other sets. It has 80 local dimming zones to dim/brighten the backlight, so it gives some better control over backlight.

They're a bit rarer these days, due to cost, though they give extremely good black levels, almost on par with plasma. Not a lot of vendors do full backlit panels, though they do look extremely good when you can find them.

Sony makes a couple of 70" LCD TVs as well, one with 3D and one without:
http://store.sony.co...&facetlist=true

Also, 70" is starting to get into the projector + screen sizes, plus yields are a bit less on a larger panel versus smaller ones, so not all vendors dabble in them.

#24 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc) will replace blu-ray.

In my opinion, in 10 years, 50+ inch 4K TVs will be the average person's "new" TV for their main viewing room. In 15-20 years, 100+ inch 8K TVs will not be a rare thing for a lot of families, as long as they have a room big enough to accommodate them.

We'll see.

I definitely will not upgrade a single Bluray to any new format. I've come to realize upgrading DVDs was mostly worthless for me since I don't rewatch the vast majority of movies I own anyway. And not being a videophile I still enjoy DVDs just fine (and still have well over 100 of them I don't plan on upgrading).

If some new format does catch on, I'd start buying new releases in that format, but just keep the Blurays and DVDs I already own rather than rebuying other than maybe a very select few that I do rewatch at least once a year if they got worthwhile PQ upgrades.

Personally, I just don't see it. Videophiles are a small niche and the average Joe is moving toward just streaming their movies/TV, so I'm not convinced we'll see another mainstream movie disc format after Bluray as I don't think most care to upgrade again and streaming will just grow more and more popular as broadband bandwith, speed and availability improve. Hell, with my hatred of clutter I may ditch my movie discs if it ever gets to the point that I could stream any of them I wanted for a reasonable monthly subscription fee.

I'm not convinced that huge TVs (or projector set ups) will become the norm either, as from what I understand younger generations are preferring smaller houses and condo living in the city to living in McMansions in the burbs, so a lot of people aren't going to have rooms big enough for 70"+ screens. I'm certainly in that vain. My girlfriend and I are not having kids, and both hate clutter (so we limit what we buy/have in the house) so we'll never have a big place--just waste of money on utilities, cleaning, furniture to fill it etc. when we just need a kitchen with dining area, living room or basement (for the home theater), two bedrooms (to have a guest room) and a den/office.

Edited by dmaul1114, 30 May 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#25 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

I guess I'm just in the "bigger the better" mindset.

I'm currently in the process of building my own 6/7 bedroom house, with a dedicated cinema room. I'm doing most of the work myself, with my Dad, so it'll take 2 years or so. My wife and I have two kids, with number 3 on the way. We want a few more, maybe 10 altogether. So my cinema room will be a family cinema room, not a mancave. I can't wait to sit around with my wife and a bunch of kids, watching an 80+ inch, or someday 100+ inch TV, in the comfort of our own home.

And yeah, on the media format, physically, HVD might replace blu-ray, but hopefully streaming continues to grow. I don't like having an unnecessary physical collection either. I got rid of my DVD collection years ago, and have never even bought 1 blu-ray of anything. Digital copies and streaming all they way.

#26 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

Do remember thought that the lighter these sets become, wall mounting them gets even easier. Most people, even in small apartments, have 70 inches of wall space.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#27 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

I guess I'm just in the "bigger the better" mindset.

I'm currently in the process of building my own 6/7 bedroom house, with a dedicated cinema room. I'm doing most of the work myself, with my Dad, so it'll take 2 years or so. My wife and I have two kids, with number 3 on the way. We want a few more, maybe 10 altogether. So my cinema room will be a family cinema room, not a mancave. I can't wait to sit around with my wife and a bunch of kids, watching an 80+ inch, or someday 100+ inch TV, in the comfort of our own home.

And yeah, on the media format, physically, HVD might replace blu-ray, but hopefully streaming continues to grow. I don't like having an unnecessary physical collection either. I got rid of my DVD collection years ago, and have never even bought 1 blu-ray of anything. Digital copies and streaming all they way.

All of this post has my mind melting.

#28 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

Ummm, Javery, it might be special order but I suggest you buy the LG OLED 65" television. It has the blacks that Plasma provides and extreme energy efficiency. Oh and yes it's 3D.
This tech is possibly the successor to CRT since SED was forcibly canned. I'm begging Javery, buy it. You won't regret since it is big screen OLED.
edit: Don't bother with 4K discs anyone. They're just Blu-ray's at higher res. and don't have the accompanying higher color spec. they should(4:4:4).
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#29 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:21 AM

That's a little out of my price range!

#30 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Love my Samsung. I didn't want the smart tv. Instead got the cheaper one and have a wdtv for my streaming needs.