Photo
- - - - -

So... which giant TV should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Keep in mind plasma's take 100 hours or so to age, and do look better after that point.  A lot of sites that post recommended settings suggest not using them until 100 hours of normal usage (or running color slides) as it won't look optimal until after that point.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#122 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

yeah... I read that too.  I'm looking into getting a slide show for the USB slot.  Honestly, after 2 days the picture looks noticeably better.  My HDMI cables should arrive this week and I still haven't played around with the picture settings yet.  Football was amazing yesterday - 65" is a really nice size!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#123 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

They have some sort of disc that you can buy that will speed up the process and by-passing those 100 hours. You still have to leave your tv on but it's safe against burn ins.

Here is a link talking about what I posted above.

http://www.plasmasaver.com/

#124 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Adjusting picture settings will help a ton too as all the default pre-settings on TV's suck.

And no need for a disc for that, plenty of places (search AVS forums for links) where you can download slides and just stick in the TV's USB or SD card slots and save the wear and tear on a DVD/BR player.  

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#125 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Don't go buying a disc. D-Nice/Evangelo's slides is the only thing you need and most importantly they are free. Check out the following link. It has everything you need to know. Hope that helps.

Xecutioner
CML

#126 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Honestly I don't think you should "age" your TV 100 hours. Just watch full screen content and stick to a variety of programming. Tone down the contrast too.

PaulManda.png

#127 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Honestly I don't think you should "age" your TV 100 hours. Just watch full screen content and stick to a variety of programming. Tone down the contrast too.

I agree. I think the idea is for people who don't want to "suffer" through 100 hours of an unoptimized screen. But to me, it's like breaking in a new baseball glove. You can trust that the end result will be worth the time you put in at the beginning.

I bought a new plasma in June and it actually has an "energy saver" setting that turns down the brightness and contrast a good bit. So, I ended up just using that for the first 100 hours, and it worked fine.

#128 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I agree. I think the idea is for people who don't want to "suffer" through 100 hours of an unoptimized screen. But to me, it's like breaking in a new baseball glove. You can trust that the end result will be worth the time you put in at the beginning.

Yeah, that's all it is.  Just a way to get through the 100 hours faster so you can get the screen optimized and have more time to decide if you like it before the return window is up.  As well as just getting to the point of not having to worry about sticking to full screen content, lower contrast etc.

I did it the two times I tried plasma since I leave the TV on ESPN for hours and hours, play games with HUDs in long sessions, watch lots of movies with black bars etc. and I'd read that plasma's were more susceptible to image retention (IR) the first 100 hours.

For my uses, it didn't help and I still had stubborn IR issues (went away, but took hours/days) so--as I discussed in more detail earlier in the thread--I ended up returning them for that (and buzzing that I'm sensitive to hearing) and going with LCD both times.  I won't try again as plasmas just don't fit my usages since I don't watch much full screen content without bright static logos/huds, and the buzzing just drives me crazy.  Even some LCDs bug me with buzzing.

I'm not a videophile at all and don't really give that much of a shit about black levels, motion blur etc. anyway so I've learned to just stay away from sites like AVS etc. as I just don't need to be that anal as I'm fine with any LCD from a decent brand and care more about screen size than picture quality.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#129 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

For my uses, it didn't help and I still had stubborn IR issues (went away, but took hours/days) so--as I discussed in more detail earlier in the thread--I ended up returning them for that (and buzzing that I'm sensitive to hearing) and going with LCD both times.  I won't try again as plasmas just don't fit my usages since I don't watch much full screen content without bright static logos/huds, and the buzzing just drives me crazy.  Even some LCDs bug me with buzzing.

so I've learned to just stay away from sites like AVS etc. as I just don't need to be that anal

These two paragraphs gave me a chuckle. :lol:

#130 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Lol.

I can see that sounding contradictory. But seeing the ESPN logo on other content for hours and hearing buzzing over audio in bright scenes doesn't require being anal, as those were things that annoyed me in regular viewing. Not going and actively looking for flaws like people on AVS do. :-D

Plasma just doesn't fit my extreme static image heavy viewing habits or hearing that's sensitive to electronic buzzing. Especially since I don't really care about the pq benefits.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#131 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I haven't noticed any buzzing but I'm probably going deaf due to excessive headphone use over the last 20 years.  The PQ is really good and I haven't even made any adjustments yet or used HDMI for the Xbox.  The cables arrived from Amazon yesterday so I'll be playing around with the settings and getting everything hooked up this weekend.  I'm kind of excited to watch my first 3D movie at home.  One small complaint is that on a TV this large, the poor signal and compression/artifacts that I get through my cable box is a little more noticeable.  It might be me though - I noticed it on my 32" TV as well.

#132 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

So which specific model did you go with again? I kinda lost track.

Also, if you can, sit a bit further back to make the compression artifacts a little less noticeable. I have Verizon FiOS and their PQ is pretty good. Sitting about 5ft away from my 40" TV and don't notice much in the way of artifacts.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#133 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

So which specific model did you go with again? I kinda lost track.

Also, if you can, sit a bit further back to make the compression artifacts a little less noticeable. I have Verizon FiOS and their PQ is pretty good. Sitting about 5ft away from my 40" TV and don't notice much in the way of artifacts.

I went with the 65" Panasonic plasma (TC-P65VT60).  I also have FiOS and don't notice it as much unless I'm looking for it... which I kind of have been since I bought the TV.  Once a show starts and I forget I don't notice at all.  I sit about 9 ft. away from the TV.

#134 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

I went with the 65" Panasonic plasma (TC-P65VT60).  I also have FiOS and don't notice it as much unless I'm looking for it... which I kind of have been since I bought the TV.  Once a show starts and I forget I don't notice at all.  I sit about 9 ft. away from the TV.

Do you have an A/V receiver? If so, try running the cable feed through the receiver. This should help clean up the signal.

I have FIOS as well and last years model of your TV (VT50). My setup is Cable Box to Receiver via HDMI then Receiver to TV. The receiver does an amazing job eliminating compression artifacts.

Xecutioner
CML