Had to put my dog to sleep

AngryDragon888

CAGiversary!
We had to put my dog to sleep this morning and it was one of the worst things I have ever experienced.  My family has always had dogs and I have seen several come and go, but this was MY first dog since I've been out on my own.  His name was Murphy and he was a black lab and a great dog.  He has been with my wife, my children, and me for a little over ten years.  A few years ago we found out he had cancer and he had to have surgery to remove a kidney and had to have radiation treatments.  We saved his life and gave him a few extra years.  However, the past few weeks he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight.  When we took him to the vet our worst fears were realized...his other kidney had failed.  I have never been so close to death.  I have had uncles, aunts, grandparents die and it was hard...call me crazy but this was harder.  People without dogs won't understand, but this was a house dog that was part of my family for a long time.  I sat there and held his head as the vet injected him and I watched his eyes close and his body fall limp....I will never forget it. I have never seen something that I love die right in front of me.  When we got home I dug a grave in the woods behind my house and carried his lifeless body to his final resting place.  It was such a strange feeling holding him...I kept expecting him to move because it's how I'm use to him being...but of course he just laid limp.  I have two other dogs and I am dreading having to repeat this.

RIP Murphy. You were a great dog and we love you. 

I'm really sorry to hear that man. My dog died last week. The way he went was pretty horrible, but at least it saved us having to make a choice. He was pretty sick too. Its really rough, and it's totally okay to feel like crap for a while. And remember that you're lucky you still have two other dogs to be with you :)

So sorry for your loss, just try to keep your head up for now.

I can understand what you are going through as I myself am a dog owner. I have two german shepherd mixed dogs and I know that in the future, their time will come as well. Hopefully I can be fully prepared for it, but I doubt. It will crush me. For now, they've been really healthy dogs for about 4-5 years. This was my first time owning dogs too, but it may be my last time as well. I love these dogs so much that I don't think anyone will replace them, and I would hate to repeat the death experience. Try to enjoy the time with your two other dogs as much as you can.

We had to put my dog to sleep this morning and it was one of the worst things I have ever experienced. My family has always had dogs and I have seen several come and go, but this was MY first dog since I've been out on my own. His name was Murphy and he was a black lab and a great dog. He has been with my wife, my children, and me for a little over ten years. A few years ago we found out he had cancer and he had to have surgery to remove a kidney and had to have radiation treatments. We saved his life and gave him a few extra years. However, the past few weeks he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. When we took him to the vet our worst fears were realized...his other kidney had failed. I have never been so close to death. I have had uncles, aunts, grandparents die and it was hard...call me crazy but this was harder. People without dogs won't understand, but this was a house dog that was part of my family for a long time. I sat there and held his head as the vet injected him and I watched his eyes close and his body fall limp....I will never forget it. I have never seen something that I love die right in front of me. When we got home I dug a grave in the woods behind my house and carried his lifeless body to his final resting place. It was such a strange feeling holding him...I kept expecting him to move because it's how I'm use to him being...but of course he just laid limp. I have two other dogs and I am dreading having to repeat this.

RIP Murphy. You were a great dog and we love you.
So sorry for your loss. Everything in your story pretty much sums up what I went through about four years ago. Losing a pet that you truly love is a terrible feeling. I felt miserable for quite some time. Also having family members pass, and feeling worse when I lost my dog made me feel a little guilty. I still miss him but I hear horror stories of people losing their dogs, or having their dogs hit by a car or something horrible and that helped me to be thankful that my dog lived a good life and went out peacefully and it could have been a lot worse. Losing a dog is definitely a terrible experience. After I lost my first I adopted two more a year later...

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the kind words from everyone.  We are definitely trying to focus on the positives.  He had a good life and I'm sure he was in pain so it was for the best I'm sure. I am for sure going to love my current dogs even more if it's possible and try to give them as much attention as possible.  

bread's done
Back