Why do I keep getting screwed by Apple?

Max Spider X

CAGiversary!
I own 4 Apple products, all of which suffer from some form of defect either out of box or through years of normal usage. Some of these problems call into question the ethics of Apple's business practices.

1. Macbook Pro (2009): See this post: https://discussions.apple.com/message/22122180

After some research, I have come to realize that this is apparently a widespread problem plaguing the 3-4 year old MBPs. Knowing that, Apple still tries to hide the fact that this is a simple screen-to-logic board connector issue from the less-well informed consumers who bring their laptops into the Genius Bar, and are instead being told that it's a screen panel/casing defect that would need to be replaced for $300. This is clearly a design flaw resulting in the loosening of the connector after years of tilting the screen. What makes Apple think that it's right to charge loyal consumers extra after the warranties have lapsed to address their own design shortcomings that should have been addressed during manufacturing?

2. iPod Touch 2nd Gen: See this post: https://discussions.apple.com/message/22198738

Basically I have been robbed of my own digital property for still holding onto an outdated device. What makes matters worse is that they are actually making me pay again to download the apps again.

In addition, my Touch suffers from screen panel lift and yellowing, with a slightly sticky home button out of the box.

3. iPod Nano 3rd Gen: Defective scroll wheel that magically responds to an invisible hand out of the box.

4. iPod Nano 5th Gen: Defective (aesthetic-wise) scroll wheel that has been crookedly installed out of box.

I was seriously considering an iPhone to be my next phone because my Android cannot go on 3 hours of moderate usage without needing to be charged. However reflecting upon my experience with past Apple devices is making me want to stay away from their products for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that you don't realized you are getting fucked every time with Apple, yet continue to buy their products like crack and not give another company a chance.  I give most companies 2 or 3 chances on their products before giving up on them. 

I ALMOST bought the Iphone 5, just to have unlimited text between us and her family , which most of them are iphone users and my brother as well.  Anyways I thought about it and decided not to do it as I don't want a small screen and don't give a fuck about the Itune's store.  Went with the Samsung Galaxy S4.  I am taking a big chance on the S4 right now as I am pissed Samsung abandoned the Droid Charge a few months after launch it and never giving it anything outside of Gigerbread and to make matters worse, release a recent update that fucked up the phone even more forcing me to get rid of it.

You give them more of a chance than me ITDEFX, I give them one solid chance then I am done with it. If they provide good customer support... MAYBE.... 

Well you obviously keep getting screwed because you keep buying their products. I personally wont buy anything made by Apple these days.

The fact that they still refuse to add expandable memory to any of their portable devices just goes to show how little they think of consumers. It's also one of the main reasons why I tell Apple to go fuck themselves.

That happened with my old itouch, 9/10 of the apps would not be "compatible" even though it's just facebook or twitter.... Worked before why wouldn't it work now? It's just their way of forcing people to buy new products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the 3gs is no longer supported right? So when the new iPhone 5s comes out, that means the iphone 4 users will be f'd and can no longer install apps. (only way is to get the OLDER versions of apps from jailbreaking) 

The only reason I haven't switched to samsung is because of the screen size... I hate bulky phones

Giving up on a company after bad experiences with one of their many products is not a good idea at all.. Every company has had a product that was the worse ever.  Would the red ring of death cause you to give up on MS ?  If they had no free repair program in place , then yes I would have fuck MS and taking my business elsewhere if I dumped 500+ on a launch machine.

Yes Apple is DUMB for not adding micro SD slots and a non standard data/charge cable and making their phones with a non removiable battery.

Haterssaywhat? Jesus Christ people, they're electronics, they go bad. I don't care if they're made by Apple or the Unique Widget Company. Shit happens. You're quick to jump on Apple an say that it's their fault, yet you all know (whether you like it or not) that Apple tends to spend more time selecting hardware and puts much more care into the decision.

OP, do you know why your shit is all going bad? Because all electronics go bad. Yours just happen to be going bad at the same time. If there's 1 billion Apple computers in use and the chance of failure in 1 in 10,000,000, then 100 computers are going bad at any given time. I'm sorry that all four of yours have gone, but that's how it goes. I'm not saying that you have to stick with Apple. If you're pissed off, switch. Really. Do what you want. But don't let these fools con you into thinking that Apple makes shitty products.

It is one of those , "They don't make things like they use to..." Sure it's cheaper to make these products, but they charge us a shit load more to make a profit. 

When it comes to electronics, no, they don't make things like they used to. But that's because electronics can't be made that way. In order to pack things into a smaller space, the process has to be slightly less reliable. I recently read an article that said when we get down to REALLY small processor designs (

Stop buying Apples shitty overhyped/overpriced products.

Problem solved.

Apple are awesome, I wouldn't consider using another computer as my daily driver instead of my MacBook pro. I don't have an iPad, Apple TV etc because I don't want those. I have an iPhone 4 but I just brought a Nexus 4 off eBay last night as I want to try something new.

My Mac battery is fading away on my laptop but I don't have applecare anymore so haven't taken it into the store as I fear its going to be really expensive to replace a problem that we just return in a year or two.

I think some peoples problems are they are so invested into iTunes etc they simple fell they can't escape from apple! Likely apart from a few apps I am not tied to Apple say like Cheapy is.

Really? Where did you read this? I always thought it was the other way around.

When it comes to electronics, no, they don't make things like they used to. But that's because electronics can't be made that way. In order to pack things into a smaller space, the process has to be slightly less reliable. I recently read an article that said when we get down to REALLY small processor designs (<20nm), the failure rates are going to shoot up exponentially. You get form or function, not both. Just the world we live in. :/

I thought Apple products were made out of perfectium. They never break or malfucntion, or maybe you're just mistkaing features as device flaws.

bread's done
Back