Alas, poor Microsoft Points, we knew ye well...

JetEngineJesus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Well, it looks like the rumours have finally come true...

www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/banked-microsoft-points-on-xbox-one-conversion

If I didn't already have, like, $50 in MS Points sitting in my account (and wasn't planning to jump ship from XBL), I'd consider stocking up on points while they're still available. If you can pick up 4000 points for $42, and 2800pts retail for $40, my maths tell me that your $42 will magically convert into a minimum of $57 in credit once the changeover happens...

Watch out for the statement I bolded below.  I still have five or six 1400 point cards that I got a while back quite cheap... there are definitely some questions that need answering.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

"The purchased funds you deposit into your account after the transition will not expire. However, the funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date."

This is disappointing, now we'll never get the deals we had before, such as getting MS points at 50%-75% off

People tend to forget that when demanding stupid changes like this, yay everything is full price now unless MS

says so, that's progress.

Watch out for the statement I bolded below. I still have five or six 1400 point cards that I got a while back quite cheap... there are definitely some questions that need answering.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

"The purchased funds you deposit into your account after the transition will not expire. However, the funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date."
That might not be legal in some provinces. Consumer protection laws in Ontario, BC and I think Quebec all prohibit the expiration of gift cards and balances. They can be exhausted by monthly fees, but the initial purchases themselves cannot simply expire.

There's probably a way for MS to wiggle out of this (transfering the balance from a Canadian account to a "Global" one), but it might be a real legal headache.

I'm sure MS has thought of that, seeing as they bother saying the points you deposit don't expire, and from there they proceed to loophole.

This is disappointing, now we'll never get the deals we had before, such as getting MS points at 50%-75% off

People tend to forget that when demanding stupid changes like this, yay everything is full price now unless MS

says so, that's progress.
I don't really care about the loss. This is just prep for the Xbone, which I won't bother purchasing. All I really care about is that I somehow need to blow the 3000+ points I have in order to cash out of this train wreck.

I'm kind of glad. Canada's been gypped on their made-up exchange rate ever since MSP came into effect.
Sure, I guess...?
I've never purchased points for anything less than 20% off, usually at 25-40% off. I typically wait until they come on sale, so I'm double-dipping. A 1200pt ($15 USD/$17 CDN) game costs me ~$13 if I buy at full price w/ points purchased at 20% off, or ~$6 if I wait until there's an XBL sale.

If you're buying stuff at full-price with points purchased at full-price, then, yeah, you're absolutely getting gypped. It ain't exactly difficult to find discounted points cards, though, so if you're getting gypped, you kind of only have yourself to blame...

Good for you.

But if a person wants to buy a 1600MSP game, a 20 dollar point card here doesn't have enough points to cover the purchase. You have to buy a 2800 card for around 40 bucks in order to buy that game, and then have an uneven bunch of extra MSP that you don't need.

Good for you.

But if a person wants to buy a 1600MSP game, a 20 dollar point card here doesn't have enough points to cover the purchase. You have to buy a 2800 card for around 40 bucks in order to buy that game, and then have an uneven bunch of extra MSP that you don't need.
If you don't care about paying full price, why wouldn't you just buy them through XBL or your dashboard? I think you can buy 400, 800, 1600 and 4000 denominations.

Good for you.

If you don't care about paying full price, why wouldn't you just buy them through XBL or your dashboard? I think you can buy 400, 800, 1600 and 4000 denominations.
Xbox Live sells points in denominations of 500, then 1000/2000/5000/6000. It's a little more convenient, but I still prefer a cart system like other consoles have so I could just spend what I need at that time. That way, I'm not buying a bunch of extra points that I sometimes end up wasting on splurges, or sitting there forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for necroing such an old thread. I live in Ontario and until recently I was still able to purchase Microsoft points cards from Shopper's Drug Mart and The Source to avoid paying tax on Xbox market place. Does anyone know of a retailer that doesn't charge tax on the new Xbox currency cards? I can verify that The Source charges HST on them.

I don't think any retailers tax you on any kind of points card. However, you will get taxed when you make your XBL purchase. With a $20 card I can no longer buy two $10 games or one $20 game due to XBL Marketplace taxes.

AFAIK, businesses aren't allowed to charge GST on gift cards, although that may not apply to currency cards. Regardless, seems like some shady business, in that you're getting taxed twice for the same purchase.

Personally, I'd kick up a fuss in the store and just walk out, on principal alone. It's really no different than buying a $25 Boston Pizza gift card...

If you add credit directly though XBL, are you charged tax? Uh, I say that as someone who will NEVER, EVER give Sony or MS my credit card number haha

Ya you got scammed if they charged you any taxes.

I just got a $25 last week during that sale (whatever day State of Decay & Sonic Generations where on sale) at Zehrs. Bought them at Future Shop & Shoppers in the last couple months too. They come in $25/$50 cards. Sucks they charge tax on store purchases like Nintendo though.

At least in Ontario.

bread's done
Back