Snyder's MOS Reviews

SpiderKnight

CAGiversary!
And...

Rotten.

Didn't expect this.

manofsteelrotten.png

http://rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel

Most calling Man of Steel basically Transformers on tights.

What happened?

Going to wait to take the kids to the $5 matinee showings next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there's a lot of action, I couldn't care less about the story. Especially since it's a retelling/origin type story. Been there, done that. Show me some action!

At this point, all that really matters is whether or not this movie makes WB a ton of money. Remember, Superman Returns actually did quite well with critics. Has a score in the 70s on RT. And it had a big opening, but fell off a cliff afterwards.

Yea, I heard its nowhere near as dark as the trailers make it to be.

My response to that? THANK GOD.
That's a shame, a dark Superman film would be a good thing, not a bad thing.

A lot of fan reports are saying that this is their favorite superhero film.
For me, I think it would have to eclipse The Dark Knight or Avengers to be my favorite superhero film, though I'm going to see it on Saturday in IMAX 3D. Original Christopher Reeves Superman and Superman 2 were quite good as well.

A lot of fan reports are saying that this is their favorite superhero film.
There are people who loved Spider-man 3 as well, what's your point?
Proof that some people don't have any taste, though that's a known quantity these days.

I'm sure one or two people would say Ghostrider was their favorite superhero movie...one being Nic Cage...
Well, at least you didn't say something really bad, like Electra.

Which is one of the major reasons Superman Returns didn't work for comic fans. Fans of the character don't want to watch him brood and mope around, while stalking his ex-girlfriend...

I tend to think Captain America and Superman are kinda cut from the same cloth, as the characters are established to fight for truth and justice, while not erring to a dark side, as recent storylines might suggest.  I loved the Captain America movie for bringing back that old time war movie, while showing the hero in a rather earnest light.  I'm seeing so many trailers and commercials for the Superman movie, and I'm getting that opposite impression, that dark grittiness that was missing when trolls whined about when Captain America didn't go Inglorious Basterds on the Red Skull or the Nazis.  I don't think Superman is supposed to look that dark, and if his suit is an emblem of hope, dear god is it in need of some radiance.

I got to see a private screening of this movie late last night/early morning. It's one of my favorite superhero movies to date. I wouldn't say it's better than the avengers or the dark knight but it's pretty close. Loved it. Lots of action. It was well worth the lack of sleep I got. In fact, I will be watching it again this Saturday. I would definitely recommend you guys go see it, though I wouldn't take kids to it. I feel it's too intense for the kiddos.

I scrolled down and spent 1 minute looking for the "next page" button. Come on guys share your thoughts about the movie or the reviews.

Im seeing it this weekend regardless of reviews but im really curious about what everyone here thinks lol

Btw, ive never seen 300, but watchmen was a snoozefest. Couldve been better

Review was good, but no matter how Bats and Supes discover each other's identities in the film universe, it will never top S:TAS's method.

Review was good, but no matter how Bats and Supes discover each other's identities in the film universe, it will never top S:TAS's method.
How dp they meet? Is the episode where brice visits metropolis to chase the joker?

Typing on iphonw sorry typos

How dp they meet? Is the episode where brice visits metropolis to chase the joker?

Typing on iphonw sorry typos
Yea, it happened in the World's Finest 3-parter. Superman just uses his X-ray Vision right off the bat, while Bats plants a tracker on Supes while spying on him over a mile away. It is seriously one of the best Batman moments ever.

I just came back from the 7pm Walmart exclusive early preview...

All I can say is fuck RT and HOLY SHIT!!!!  

That movie was really good!

Better than Batman Begins!

Well worth the wait considering it's been pushed back a few times.

Will start talking about it via spoiler tags tomorrow.   Seeing it again this weekend in IMAX 3d. 

I got to see a private screening of this movie late last night/early morning. It's one of my favorite superhero movies to date. I wouldn't say it's better than the avengers or the dark knight but it's pretty close. Loved it. Lots of action. It was well worth the lack of sleep I got. In fact, I will be watching it again this Saturday. I would definitely recommend you guys go see it, though I wouldn't take kids to it. I feel it's too intense for the kiddos.
My friend won some local contest the other day and saw it on Monday. He loved it.

You do know it's goddamn impossible to compare anything to the Timm/Dini Animated series because it'll always win out, right? My only complaint is the fate of Tim Drake in their universe, but considering they made me love an original character replacing Bruce Wayne in the future as Batman (something that sounds dumb on paper), their successes far outweigh anything that any movie or even some of the comics can ever achieve.

Ok so goyer has gone on record that Batman exists in the man of steel universe. However, that batman wont be Nolan's batman.

Why cant he exist in the same universe? The stunts that batman pulled in TDK and TDKR (sliding the batpod under the joker's truck, and having the locked on missile hit the enemy Tumbler during the bomb chase scene). Oh and lets not forget how he picked up Ducard (or Ras) with one arm to save him from falling.

Those are near superhuman feats!

Although honestly, as much as Id love to see christian bale reprise his role as batman, i also cant see Nolan's version of bruce wayne fit in, in a justice league movie.

Im contradicting myself arent i lol

I just came back from the 7pm Walmart exclusive early preview...

All I can say is fuck RT and HOLY SHIT!!!!

That movie was really good!

Better than Batman Begins!

Well worth the wait considering it's been pushed back a few times.

Will start talking about it via spoiler tags tomorrow. Seeing it again this weekend in IMAX 3d.
Glad you liked it. I saw in IMAX 3D and it was awesomely epic! Gonna watch it Saturday in regular 2D. Can't wait!

You do know it's goddamn impossible to compare anything to the Timm/Dini Animated series because it'll always win out, right? My only complaint is the fate of Tim Drake in their universe, but considering they made me love an original character replacing Bruce Wayne in the future as Batman (something that sounds dumb on paper), their successes far outweigh anything that any movie or even some of the comics can ever achieve.
True, but still.

And what happened to Tim Drake in Return of the Joker is far more horrifying than anything Heath Ledger ever did.

Saw it, loved it.

I don't know what more you could want from a Superman or comic book movie. Finally a movie where Superman does super things and the bad guy isn't Lex Luthor for the billionth time.

The action was awesome and they paced the origin stuff pretty well to where it didn't make those parts boring.

Also Russel Crowe was badass in it.

Can't wait to see what they do with a sequel.

Ok so goyer has gone on record that Batman exists in the man of steel universe. However, that batman wont be Nolan's batman.

Why cant he exist in the same universe? The stunts that batman pulled in TDK and TDKR (sliding the batpod under the joker's truck, and having the locked on missile hit the enemy Tumbler during the bomb chase scene). Oh and lets not forget how he picked up Ducard (or Ras) with one arm to save him from falling.

Those are near superhuman feats!

Although honestly, as much as Id love to see christian bale reprise his role as batman, i also cant see Nolan's version of bruce wayne fit in, in a justice league movie.

Im contradicting myself arent i lol
I guess the problem is that if Superman was around, why didn't he do anything in The Dark Knight Rises?

I'm fine with them getting a new Batman and making it a separate universe from the Nolan movies. It would be cool if Christian Bale was Batman again, just not the Batman from the Nolan movies. That would probably confuse a lot of people though so I guess the wouldn't do that.

Ah well.

I Did enjoy the very subtle nod of Batman/ Bruce Wayne existing in that universe.

Otherwise I thought it was good, not great. I Wasn't that big of a fan of that flashbacks mostly because I feel I've seen Superman's origin front and back and told several times over. I Felt those were the weakest parts for me personally, though I did enjoy the Reaper's attacking Metropolis and all of the fight scenes. Snyder did a good job not reverting to the single shot slow motion zoom in and out that he's known for.

And goddamn I hate teenagers. I HAAATE teenagers.

Also the flashbacks and how often it jumps around just gave the movie a weird pace in knowing the movie's timeline. Like alot of the scenes could've been trimmed 30 minutes off and we would've gotten his story just fine. It's not until the last half or so that the movie moves at a bit more of a reasonable pace. Though I personally don't know why, (spoilered despite lack of any real plot details and I made it as vague as possible)
but I LOOOOATHED Jenny Olsen. Specifically Jenny Olsen and Perry White's adventure at the end because the movie gave me no shit to care about these characters and now they expect me to care.

Though I am eager for a sequel just so now the flashback stuff is out of the way so we can have a primary focus, but I don't know how they can top the fight scenes.

I Don't think I gave any specifics.
Jimmy Olsen is now a girl instead of a guy now
was revealed months before hand and that character has no depth to warrant even existing in this film.

If you're going into a Superman movie for that character (regardless of gender), then you're going in to see the wrong movie. I'll add some tags though.

I didn't know that either, but finding out beforehand does not affect me at all. I don't give a damn about Olsen.

Um, that's not really a spoiler at all...the reversal of gender does not affect the story at all. Olsen is a girl instead of a guy. That's it. The character fulfills the same role. The gender change was widely reported awhile ago.

Superman can fly!

If you're going into a Superman movie for that character (regardless of gender), then you're going in to see the wrong movie. I'll add some tags though.
Thanks, bro. I've been trying to go in as fresh as possible to all the big movies the past few years.

Thanks, bro. I've been trying to go in as fresh as possible to all the big movies the past few years.
Then you need to avoid any discussion threads, articles, or reviews until you see it. I would not have even clicked this thread if I were you.

Then you need to avoid any discussion threads, articles, or reviews until you see it. I would not have even clicked this thread if I were you.
Thanks for the advice! Or, you know, we could all abide by the unspoken rule of the Movie thread and spoiler-tag stuff for new releases for at least the first weekend it's out because spoiler-tagging stuff for a week was too difficult for people.

edit: I think discussions about casting choices for the main characters, need for origin rehash, composer, director, comparing the theme of the character to others, etc are more than fine and discussion threads are where those conversations would be taking place. People can discuss certain aspects of the film without spoiling the film.

Thanks for the advice! Or, you know, we could all abide by the unspoken rule of the Movie thread and spoiler-tag stuff for new releases for at least the first weekend it's out because spoiler-tagging stuff for a week was too difficult for people.

edit: I think discussions about casting choices for the main characters, need for origin rehash, composer, director, comparing the theme of the character to others, etc are more than fine and discussion threads are where those conversations would be taking place. People can discuss certain aspects of the film without spoiling the film.
Except that you took issue with a casting choice. Namely, Rebecca Buller as Jenny Olsen. Or would it have been better if he had said "Olsen (played by Rebecca Buller)"? It isn't as though he spoiled something in the stinger or something.

Except that you took issue with a casting choice.
Namely, Rebecca Buller as Jenny Olsen.
Except that I didn't take issue with it at all. I took issue with spoilers and character twists that could've been put in some freaking spoiler tags. The spoilers flying around in this thread wouldn't fly in the main movie thread or the Walking Dead one.

Or would it have been better if he had said
"Olsen (played by Rebecca Buller)"?
It isn't as though he spoiled something in the stinger or something.
Or...you know...do something like this:
Character twist:
Jimmy Olsen is now Jenny Olsen
:roll:

I don't think it takes a ton of effort or restraint to use spoiler tags on OPENING DAY for a movie. Look at your quote. Easy right?

edit: For those that want to discuss movies with no tags, you're better off just making a new thread with a spoiler warning in the title and have some consideration for fellow CAGs.

Except it's NOT A CHARACTER TWIST! If Jenny was an agent of Darkseid or was really Supergirl or if Jimmy actually had a sex change, that would be a character twist. They casted a female to play an extremely minor support character that is nornally male. Whoop de fucking do. Perry White is black in this film, would you consider that a spoiler as well? This isn't even on the same spoiler level as Starbuck in BSG or Watson on Elementary. Not to mention pretty much every major entertainment site reported it long ago. Hell, even IMDB has had the change for months now.

I only paid attention to the trailers for this movie (and Grantland's trailer reviews) so the news that Jimmy was female was revealed to me by this thread. Do you see me throwing a hissyfit about it? fuck no. Because I don't give a shit if Olsen is in the film or not or what gender he/she is.

And for the record, nothing in this thread is any more spoilery than pretty much any random review over at Rotten Tomatoes.

It's interesting how different the user score and critic score on Metacritic is. 55 for critics and 8.8 for users at the moment.

I'm definitely with the users on this one.

Saw it last night. Thought it was incredible. Definitely not as good as the Nolan Batman films, but Batman works better as a dramatic character. Snyder has a ton of Superman flying around and punching shit. Not really sure what the critics were looking for in a Superman film, but it has a good user scores on RT and Metacritic, so who knows.

Saw it last night. Thought it was incredible. Definitely not as good as the Nolan Batman films, but Batman works better as a dramatic character. Snyder has a ton of Superman flying around and punching shit. Not really sure what the critics were looking for in a Superman film, but it has a good user scores on RT and Metacritic, so who knows.
Considering critics loved Superman Returns, they probably wanted that.

I'll be honest, after thinking about it after leaving the midnight screening and thinking some more I think outside of the fight scenes I flat out hated this movie.

bread's done
Back