Photo
* * * * - 14 votes

BLOCKBUSTER LIQUIDATION [DEAD] THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Blockbuster video

• Please log in to reply
1651 replies to this topic

#961 Sasaki

Sasaki

Formerly Blockbusterguy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

They actually have it advertised in store for over $30 for a case of soda...their original price is $1.57 for a 20oz bottle so that times 24 with 20% off or so comes out to a little over $30 and they have that written on the cases...I know people impulse buy during a sale but I'm pretty sure almost everyone knows what soda sells for on sale or not...On the gaming front I didn't see squat worth buying...29.99 for Tomb Raider, Kingdoms of Amalur at $27.99 used...UGH, I will pass...

Before becoming a district leader I was a store manager and I sold some funky stuff, I literally sold the toilet when my store closed years ago. They mean everything must go

#962 Sasaki

Sasaki

Formerly Blockbusterguy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

A quick public service announcement:

Be nice to the employees of Blockbuster Video.  Don't take your frustrations out on them for reasons out of their control.

During lunch, I went to the local Blockbuster to get a "wishlist" going of things I hope to pick up later during the liquidation.  While I was there, I witnessed a customer yelling and screaming at a young female employee about the prices and how he should get a discount for the lack of "Playstation selection".

The manager stepped in and told the guy to knock it off.  The guy relented, only to keep muttering under his breath.  His wife looked on, eagerly waiting to get her pile of DVDs.

Feeling bad about the incident, I bought a candy bar, and remarked, "Some customers, right?"  

She explained to me that once this store closes, she has no job.  Blockbuster is not offering a severance package for hourly employees.  Once those doors lock, she is done.

So, be nice, be courteous, and don't be a d-bag.

Ehhh not 100%. Hourly employees are given a "retention bonus if they stay all the way till close, which is not great but it's something.

#963 Zalaki

Zalaki

Worker by night, Gamer by day

• CAG Veteran

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

Will wait 2-3 more weeks. Prices are bleh even for the movies

Currenty Playing

:pc: Diablo 3 , Day Z  :applause:   | :ps4: Bound by Flame

:360: Left4Dead  | :vita:Borderlands 2 :D/ |   :wiiu: Windwaker HD

Check out my items for trade!

#964 JBLAZEisaCAG

JBLAZEisaCAG

Deal seeker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Agreed. I'll be eager to see how people make out at their BBV's, pics included.

#965 qwikshake

qwikshake

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

Word. I saw some new, unopened Blurays like the Star Wars Original Trilogy for $50 before 10% discount (making it $45). Again, nothing to write home about.

Everything else was in the BBV cases with cover art, marked as $12.99. As a collector, I'm surprised so many people still buy them just for the disc/content.

This is a game of patience; hold fast, my brothers.

#966 Finger_Shocker

Finger_Shocker

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

Apprently not well, I don't know any blockbusters left in my area

#967 Dojorkan

Dojorkan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

From the way the Cashier who waited on me spoke, there won't be anymore stuff coming. Either thats just that store or he wasn't informed about it.

Anyway, you can get 5 blank DVD cases for $1. Not bad.

#968 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

There was a frenzy at the store near my office. People were buying stacks upon stacks of DVDs for $9.99 a piece that would be $5 or less new on Amazon. I love that going out of business sales can get people so stirred up they lose any sense of what is and is not a deal. Also, a ton of people were buying games that were only 10% off - keep in mind last week all games were 25% off (and no one was buying them).

On the flip side, I found a few OOP DVDs that I'm happy with. Nothing amazing, but they made the sale worthwhile.

#969 Nax5

Nax5

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

Saw a Blockbuster by chance on the way home tonight. Stopped in but saw that ALL films, including old or garbage titles, are $10. Doesn't really make any sense. Good deal if you were buying Pacific Rim on Blu-ray or something. But not great if you were buying some 90's horror on DVD. Maybe will stop by again in a few weeks to see if some of the older horror films drop below $5.

I did walk out with about 3 boxes of Sno-Caps, though. Theater candy is a staple in movie-rental stores. And I am going to miss that.

#970 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

I stopped by my store to see what they had. Everything was pretty much too expensive for me at these price points, but I did snag an xbox 360 copy of Frontlines Fuel of War for $.95 including tax!

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#971 Zhane

Zhane

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:19 AM

I work there. Our store made a couple thousand today, off people paying 20 bucks for the like of...NBA2k12. Lol. 

I just have to grin and bare it, and shake my head at what some people think are deals. But hey, if they have the money to spend, more power to them! Lots of $150+ customers. Although it sucks for them, as I know what they could actually be paying for this stuff, new, those I can handle. 

It's the people that buy the stuff like paper towels and toiler paper that are unbearable though. These old ladies. You tell them $2 for 10 paper towel rolls, and they have a heart attack. Wondering why it's not $1. Wtf? Lady bought like four things of soap. Then came back 30 minutes later, asking if she could get the last one left for free, since she bought the others. Smh.

It's hilarious to watch though.

#972 Dishinshoryuken

Dishinshoryuken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

Sad to see the stores go but it is that time.

Will stop in tomorrow to see what is what as there are 3 in my area still.

Looking forward to catching Pacific Rim at a grand price.

What a wonderful sight. :360::psp:

#973 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

There was a frenzy at the store near my office. People were buying stacks upon stacks of DVDs for $9.99 a piece that would be $5 or less new on Amazon. I love that going out of business sales can get people so stirred up they lose any sense of what is and is not a deal. Also, a ton of people were buying games that were only 10% off - keep in mind last week all games were 25% off (and no one was buying them).

When Circuit City started liquidating, people were flocking to pay hundreds more for an HDTV than it cost on sale the previous week (e.g. $2200 list set which was $1500 on sale getting "liquidated" at $2000) which raises the conundrum of if these people had been willing to pay those prices before, the chain wouldn't have been going out of business in the first place!

Looking forward to catching Pacific Rim at a grand price.

I think Target is having the Blu-ray for $9 on BF.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#974 Stanley the Bugman

Stanley the Bugman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

From the way the Cashier who waited on me spoke, there won't be anymore stuff coming. Either thats just that store or he wasn't informed about it.

Typically the way a liquidation sale works:

A liquidation company purchases the store (or a group of stores) sight unseen.   While the employees are still paid by Blockbuster, they now work for the liquidators.  Blockbuster no longer owns that store or anything (including the fixtures) inside it.  If the liquidator purchased another store in the area, they might consolidate the product to one location but Blockbuster isn't going to just give away any more product (nor can they legally).  They make their money back by selling off whatever they can.

Any product left in distribution centers will be auctioned off to consolidation stores (5 Below, Odd Lots, Job Lots, etc.).

#975 kilenem

kilenem

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

When Circuit City started liquidating, people were flocking to pay hundreds more for an HDTV than it cost on sale the previous week (e.g. $2200 list set which was $1500 on sale getting "liquidated" at $2000) which raises the conundrum of if these people had been willing to pay those prices before, the chain wouldn't have been going out of business in the first place!

I think Target is having the Blu-ray for $9 on BF.

I waited a month and got Halo PC for 9.99 I wanted to long and Missed out on Halo 2 but I would've needed windows vita

#976 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

I ended up getting

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - $7.19

Scribblenauts - $7.19

10 mint condition xbox 1 (... I mean original xbox) and xbox 360 cases - $2

Fire Emblem and Scribblenauts also have the original artwork. I'm fairly certain I have the manuals for these as well. The Fire Emblem disc is in suprisingly good shape, but the cover art is a tiny bit faded. Did I get a decent price on these games?

Saw a Blockbuster by chance on the way home tonight. Stopped in but saw that ALL films, including old or garbage titles, are $10. Doesn't really make any sense. Good deal if you were buying Pacific Rim on Blu-ray or something. But not great if you were buying some 90's horror on DVD. Maybe will stop by again in a few weeks to see if some of the older horror films drop below $5.

I did walk out with about 3 boxes of Sno-Caps, though. Theater candy is a staple in movie-rental stores. And I am going to miss that.

I think several retailers will have Pacific Rim cheap on black friday. Familyvideo.com already has it for $9.99 and there's a 10% off code, and their blurays come in actual bluray cases. Lots of the $12.99 blockbuster movies like Iron Man 3 and the Hangover 3 are going to be cheaper on black friday brand new. I couldn't pull the trigger on those.

...Snowcaps are the bomb yo    :-P

I work there. Our store made a couple thousand today, off people paying 20 bucks for the like of...NBA2k12. Lol. 

I just have to grin and bare it, and shake my head at what some people think are deals. But hey, if they have the money to spend, more power to them! Lots of $150+ customers. Although it sucks for them, as I know what they could actually be paying for this stuff, new, those I can handle. 

It's the people that buy the stuff like paper towels and toiler paper that are unbearable though. These old ladies. You tell them $2 for 10 paper towel rolls, and they have a heart attack. Wondering why it's not $1. Wtf? Lady bought like four things of soap. Then came back 30 minutes later, asking if she could get the last one left for free, since she bought the others. Smh.

It's hilarious to watch though.

Wow, like others have said it's too bad these people didn't shop for pre-owned games at BBV regularly. There have been so many B2G1, B1G1, 50% off, etc. I wish the money from these idiot shoppers was going to the employees more than the liquidator company.

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#977 TehTriggerman

TehTriggerman

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

I called the ones by me and they said they boxed up and shipped out all thier games. :(

Megami_Tengoku_II_PC_FX_Banner.jpg

#978 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

My local BBV was terrible.  Very few Wii games, only 2 DS games, all at terrible prices.  Plenty of CoDs and Halos though.  They had several very dim CRT TV's, maybe 22 inches, for $75!!  No deals to be found there - walked out empty handed.  May check back in a few weeks.

I will surely miss Blockbuster and their awesome sales though.

631840.png

#979 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

These liquidation sales are usually a waste for me. I remember Circuit City. 10% off used games? You can get way better through Gamefly. Not until the last few weeks (40-50-60% off) it could be worth it but most of the good stuff has been picked over.

Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell

#980 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Did BB stop renting WiiU games at some point?

I stopped in on Thursday to see what they wanted for a copy of Pikmin 3 and the only WiiU games they had were the same they had a while back when they were going for $10(now going for $18). I figured they'd have more of a selection since they'd now be selling rental copies too.

#981 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Almost snagged a copy of New Super Mario Bros for DS for $7.99 then remembered I already owned it...  Saw one very large woman who was holding pretty much every 360 game the store had in a giant stack she could barely manage. Even my girlfriend, who has only a modest idea of a good game deal (namely from seeing what I get and for how much) commented that it seemed like a poor choice. People...

Walked out with nothing. I'll stop in again towards the end to see if there are any gems that have just been missed. 

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#982 Stanley the Bugman

Stanley the Bugman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

These liquidation sales are usually a waste for me. I remember Circuit City. 10% off used games? You can get way better through Gamefly. Not until the last few weeks (40-50-60% off) it could be worth it but most of the good stuff has been picked over.

The liquidator at the local Circuit City raised prices before the liquidation sale then sold everything for 10% off the new price.  People were lined out the door to pay more than retail.

#983 Phrozenspite

Phrozenspite

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I stopped in on Thursday to see what they wanted for a copy of Pikmin 3 and the only WiiU games they had were the same they had a while back when they were going for $10(now going for $18). I figured they'd have more of a selection since they'd now be selling rental copies too.

they had very few to begin with, and one of the past bogo sales allowed most of the wii u games they had to be sold.

Swagbucks
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Marxn
get free Amazon GCs just for searching, every 450 points is a $5

ach.png

#984 avatar94

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Are they still taking their own Blockbuster gift cards? Just found a $25 one that I wish I would have had when there were $10 WiiU games

#985 zman73

zman73

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

These liquidation sales always highlight the fact that the average customer is clueless on how to score real deals... just like the circuit city closings... 

I generally wait until the blu rays are 3$ or less, then rack up... I RARELY score any good gaming deals from these closings... 

sad to see blockbuster go , if only because some of the game sales they would have i the past were pretty good ways of scoring cheap games. I would take an afternoon and scour all the locations in my area... it was really fun

"...and I was so anxious to get out of bed I stepped on her face"
from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Coming to you from the home of Mardi Gras... Mobile Alabama
http://mardigras.new...m/history.shtml

http://gulfcoastrunn...ace=mcm&yr=2008
November 29 2008... my first marathon... 26.2 miles of hell

#986 deadtrees

deadtrees

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

They stopped getting new games after May, which was the first big hint of their imminent demise.

#987 Sasaki

Sasaki

Formerly Blockbusterguy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

Are they still taking their own Blockbuster gift cards? Just found a $25 one that I wish I would have had when there were $10 WiiU games

Look at the back of the card if it says blockbuster inc, it's no longer good
If it says blockbuster LLC then your good to go!

#988 Sasaki

Sasaki

Formerly Blockbusterguy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Also blockbuster is handling all liquidation. No 3rd party is involve, so don't be afraid to make haggle prices on equipment and fixtures

#989 HyperG

HyperG

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

I waited a month and got Halo PC for 9.99 I wanted to long and Missed out on Halo 2 but I would've needed windows vita

Could you tell me more about windows vita? Sounds interesting that sony and microsoft are doing something together.

www.GamersVlog.com - Enter for game giveaways.

#990 B:L

B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

Also blockbuster is handling all liquidation. No 3rd party is involve, so don't be afraid to make haggle prices on equipment and fixtures

But then we're dealing with Blockbuster store managers here.

"How much is that file cabinet?"

$150. The bigger ones are $250.