Photo
* * * * - 13 votes

Anime Steals and Deals (Amazon, Rightstuf, DD...etc)

Anime

• Please log in to reply
3582 replies to this topic

#31 morbitrius

morbitrius

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Is it certain that there will be a complete set of Steins Gate? I watched the first episode on funi's youtube page and loved it. $60 sounds good for the full set, but obviously if it's going to be cheaper down the road in a complete collection I can wait.

#32 refluxx

refluxx

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

Not sure if this is even a deal because I don't know how low these have been in the past, but I picked up the 2 DVD box sets of Death Note.

Set 1: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER -- $17.49

Set 2: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER -- $20.09

Seems pretty cheap to me, but what do I know. :| Set 2 has 18 left in stock.

Currently watching: Familiar of Zero  :br: 

Currently playing: Bravely Default  :3ds:
Smileyman063.png

#33 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Not sure if this is even a deal because I don't know how low these have been in the past, but I picked up the 2 DVD box sets of Death Note.

Set 1: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER -- $17.49

Set 2: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER -- $20.09

Seems pretty cheap to me, but what do I know. :| Set 2 has 18 left in stock.

They've gone done in price considerably when DD had them for about $7-$8 per set not too long ago, and the prices have been down quite a bit since then, but has kind of evened out again lately, but yeah, they have certainly been much cheaper in the past.  Great show regardless.

Posted Image

#34 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Is it certain that there will be a complete set of Steins Gate? I watched the first episode on funi's youtube page and loved it. $60 sounds good for the full set, but obviously if it's going to be cheaper down the road in a complete collection I can wait.

The only reasoning I have is that Funimation's done it for other series of theirs that were initially released in two separate sets (Sekirei, Sengoku Basara).

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :ps4: Putty Squad :ps3: BioShock [Survivor, No Vita-Chambers] :vita: Guacamelee!; Rayman Legends [Daily Challenges]; Velocity Ultra
Last Beaten Game [4/18]:  :vita: Flying Hamster HD ( :))

Last Watched Film: The Passion of the Christ ( :applause: :applause: :applause:)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#35 refluxx

refluxx

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

They've gone done in price considerably when DD had them for about $7-$8 per set not too long ago, and the prices have been down quite a bit since then, but has kind of evened out again lately, but yeah, they have certainly been much cheaper in the past.  Great show regardless.

Hmmm, maybe I should wait then. I have seen the show and it is great, but I was just picking of the DVDs because that was the cheapest that I had seen them personally. Might be a super CAG and wait for a lower price.

Smileyman063.png

#36 refluxx

refluxx

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Looks like the other seasons of Shakugan no Shana have had their prices lowered as well. Still a little too much for me, they need to release sets like the first season.  :twoguns:

Smileyman063.png

#37 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hmmm, maybe I should wait then. I have seen the show and it is great, but I was just picking of the DVDs because that was the cheapest that I had seen them personally. Might be a super CAG and wait for a lower price.

Well if you couldn't wait, they're a little less than $17 for each set on DeepDiscount right now too, so if you wanted to save a few bucks that's definitely another option.  Not sure if they'll ever be that low again, but they have definitely been on sale quite a few times in the past 8 months, the lowest being during the DD sale, but they've appeared in other site's sales as well throughout for around $12, so if you want to wait it will probably get close to that price point some time again somewhere.

Posted Image

#38 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Just wanted to pass along to be careful ordering the Sekirei Complete Series DVD/BR combo from Amazon. 

Went through 2 copies and both of them were missing Season 1, Disc 1 of the BR & had an extra Season 1, Disc 2 DVD disc in it's holder.  Don't know if Funimation shipped a botched batch to Amazon or what.  Kinda hoping this 3rd copy will be from a different batch.

#39 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

Yes. There will be a complete set eventually, barring a license revoking. Anime companies have been repackaging boxsets for over a decade now and it ain't stopping anytime soon.

I predict by Labor Day 2015 we'll get the Anime Classics version too.

Also, RightStuf's got Viz manga on sale if you still get printed manga.

#40 refluxx

refluxx

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

Well if you couldn't wait, they're a little less than $17 for each set on DeepDiscount right now too, so if you wanted to save a few bucks that's definitely another option.  Not sure if they'll ever be that low again, but they have definitely been on sale quite a few times in the past 8 months, the lowest being during the DD sale, but they've appeared in other site's sales as well throughout for around $12, so if you want to wait it will probably get close to that price point some time again somewhere.

Thanks for the input! I'll just go ahead and keep my order with Amazon. Yesterday was my birthday so they gave me a $5 off $25 or more purchase from them so they are basically $16 each. After skimming through a lot of things I think I'm just going to stick with picking up Death Note, since nothing else really peaked my interest.

Seems like they dropped the price on a lot of stuff I skimmed through today though. Best thing I saw is still probably the Shakugan BR LEs.

Smileyman063.png

#41 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

Just wanted to pass along to be careful ordering the Sekirei Complete Series DVD/BR combo from Amazon. 

Went through 2 copies and both of them were missing Season 1, Disc 1 of the BR & had an extra Season 1, Disc 2 DVD disc in it's holder.  Don't know if Funimation shipped a botched batch to Amazon or what.  Kinda hoping this 3rd copy will be from a different batch.

It's probably a misprint problem.  They had the exact same problem with their Baka & Test Season 2 set, so if you actually play the disc it might be the right disc, but just misprinted.  Is the disc just printed as Disc 2 but on a blu disc, or is it actually printed on a DVD? And was one of the two Disc 2s printed a blu?  Not sure if that's what going on, but I guess couldn't hurt to double check if you get another one like that again.

In any case not sure what's up with them and releases lately.

Posted Image

#42 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

nothing quite topped Birdy either season 1 or 2 cant remember but one of the discs on a pretty massive scale apparently was a season 4 disc of dbz lol imagine my surprise.

yes but its a show i cant see myself watching twice. once you know how it ends(poorly IMO) the show loses a lot of flair.

#43 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

Naruto Shippuden sets have dropped to $20 for most sets (at least 3-11) on Amazon

#44 Stoke

Stoke

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

Yes. There will be a complete set eventually, barring a license revoking. Anime companies have been repackaging boxsets for over a decade now and it ain't stopping anytime soon.

I predict by Labor Day 2015 we'll get the Anime Classics version too.

Also, RightStuf's got Viz manga on sale if you still get printed manga.

#45 Stoke

Stoke

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

Wow, I wish I'd known about that sale 2 days ago when I purchased 15 volumes of HxH from Amazon. Might be time to jump on the rest.

#46 jbug617

jbug617

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

Looks like the other seasons of Shakugan no Shana have had their prices lowered as well. Still a little too much for me, they need to release sets like the first season.  :twoguns:

I hope that Right Stuf would a bundle at the end of the year.

Both parts of Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar dropped to around $30.

#47 3GSid

3GSid

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

I'll be updating the OP later on tommorow guys. Sorry for the delay in doing so!

My Completed Anime List

http://myanimelist.n...tatus=2&order=4                      

My Ebay Page (I will generally offer lower prices to CAGS if interested in any items)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/balderhash/m.html?item=271217054077&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

#48 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

I'll be updating the OP later on tommorow guys. Sorry for the delay in doing so!

Why not just wiki it?

#49 3GSid

3GSid

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Would do so if I knew how to.

My Completed Anime List

http://myanimelist.n...tatus=2&order=4                      

My Ebay Page (I will generally offer lower prices to CAGS if interested in any items)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/balderhash/m.html?item=271217054077&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

#50 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

It's probably a misprint problem.  They had the exact same problem with their Baka & Test Season 2 set, so if you actually play the disc it might be the right disc, but just misprinted.  Is the disc just printed as Disc 2 but on a blu disc, or is it actually printed on a DVD? And was one of the two Disc 2s printed a blu?  Not sure if that's what going on, but I guess couldn't hurt to double check if you get another one like that again.

In any case not sure what's up with them and releases lately.

Nope, not a misprint.  Checked the one I'm about to ship back.  It's just an extra S1, disc 2 DVD.  It's like they just forgot to include the S1, disc 1 BR and threw that DVD in the holder as an CYA to make sure the number of discs is the same.

But if Amazon pulls their copies listed and puts them under review, at least we'll know why.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Baka & Test S2.  Was going to grab that at the end of the month and forgot about that recall.  As there are probably still copies of that set with the mislabeled disc out there.

nothing quite topped Birdy either season 1 or 2 cant remember but one of the discs on a pretty massive scale apparently was a season 4 disc of dbz lol imagine my surprise.

Ugh, I actually went through two of those before getting a fixed version.  Be careful, there's still people on Amazon/Ebay that list that botched version without noting it's not the one w/ the corrected disc.  BTW, it was Season 1(or Part 1 as Funimation released it under).

#51 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Would do so if I knew how to.

I don't know if it's different now that CAG went through an update, but there might be a button you can click when editing the OP that has the word "wiki" in it.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :ps4: Putty Squad :ps3: BioShock [Survivor, No Vita-Chambers] :vita: Guacamelee!; Rayman Legends [Daily Challenges]; Velocity Ultra
Last Beaten Game [4/18]:  :vita: Flying Hamster HD ( :))

Last Watched Film: The Passion of the Christ ( :applause: :applause: :applause:)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#52 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Nope, not a misprint.  Checked the one I'm about to ship back.  It's just an extra S1, disc 2 DVD.  It's like they just forgot to include the S1, disc 1 BR and threw that DVD in the holder as an CYA to make sure the number of discs is the same.

But if Amazon pulls their copies listed and puts them under review, at least we'll know why.

Also, thanks for reminding me about Baka & Test S2.  Was going to grab that at the end of the month and forgot about that recall.  As there are probably still copies of that set with the mislabeled disc out there.

Ugh, I actually went through two of those before getting a fixed version.  Be careful, there's still people on Amazon/Ebay that list that botched version without noting it's not the one w/ the corrected disc.  BTW, it was Season 1(or Part 1 as Funimation released it under).

Ah, then Funimation is just finding new and different avenues of screwing up then.  Huzzah.... ~_~

Posted Image

#53 kyrhon

kyrhon

Vengeance.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

I don't think it's 100% certain. Although they have done it in the past, it's not guaranteed. (But still it is somewhat likely)

#54 HakaHina

HakaHina

Glasses God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

After reading the issue, I opened my copy to check if it had the same problem. Fortunately, all of my discs were not misprinted. I even checked them on my DVD/BR players to see if content were consistent, which they were. I think you may have gotten a few bad batches.

One thing to note too is that all discs of the first season contain character artwork of both Musubi and Tsukiumi, for both the DVD and BR (disc 1 = Musubi, disc 2 = Tsukiumi), meaning two of each character. The only difference between the DVDs and BRs is that under the Sekirei label, it would have either a red or blue line containing details of the content (red for DVD and blue for BR), with DVD1 having 1-7 episodes, DVD2 having 8-12 + extras, BR1 having 1-9 episodes, and BR2 having 10-12 + extras. In your case, since you lack a S1, BR1 disc and instead have a S1, DVD2 disc, this would mean that you would have 3 Tsukiumi discs instead of just two, right?

I have a few photos that I can post for reference sake if you want.

Posted Image

#55 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Is this normal for new items from Amazon?

cTlNEuh.jpg

#56 HakaHina

HakaHina

Glasses God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

It seems like Funi and Viz have some sort of sale or reduced prices on a bunch of their listings on Amazon. The following are links to the ones that are not on the op:

Funi

Viz

Posted Image

#57 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

BTW, the Corpse Princess S.A.V.E. edition is also part of the sale.  It's $15.49 right now(was $20.78 a couple days ago).

After reading the issue, I opened my copy to check if it had the same problem. Fortunately, all of my discs were not misprinted. I even checked them on my DVD/BR players to see if content were consistent, which they were. I think you may have gotten a few bad batches.

One thing to note too is that all discs of the first season contain character artwork of both Musubi and Tsukiumi, for both the DVD and BR (disc 1 = Musubi, disc 2 = Tsukiumi), meaning two of each character. The only difference between the DVDs and BRs is that under the Sekirei label, it would have either a red or blue line containing details of the content (red for DVD and blue for BR), with DVD1 having 1-7 episodes, DVD2 having 8-12 + extras, BR1 having 1-9 episodes, and BR2 having 10-12 + extras. In your case, since you lack a S1, BR1 disc and instead have a S1, DVD2 disc, this would mean that you would have 3 Tsukiumi discs instead of just two, right?

I have a few photos that I can post for reference sake if you want.

Yep, it has 3 Tsukiumi discs(2 DVD & 1 BR) & only 1 Musubi disc(which is DVD version).  Meaning I'm missing the first 9 episodes on BR.

I emailed Funimation to let them know about this botched batch and possibly see if I get just send in that extra disc & get it replaced by them(just in case this 3rd one has the same problem).

Is this normal for new items from Amazon?

It's either a different copy someone returned to Amazon or (more likely) a unsold copy that a retailer sent back to the distributor and was sent to Amazon when they ordered more copies.

#58 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Will wait for Heaven's Lost Property to drop before I get it. Still upset I spent $35 for an artbox.

Magical Index is still too expensive for me.

#59 Drahken

Drahken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

While not technically Anime, the Death Note live action movie collection on blu-ray is 13.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...th note blu-ray

You need to click the new link and add to cart there and it is fulfilled by Amazon.

#60 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Got RightStuf's catalog in. Has some codes you can use:

- $4 off a $60+ order: CP34-01
- Garden of Words Blu-ray for $17.99: CP34-02
- Kids on the Slope Blu-ray for $34.99: CP34-03

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anime