Old Nintendo 64 Games, What you wish to play again?!

I don't go back to the N64 very often. The biggest problem for me is the contorller. In particular, I never liked the analog stick. It wasn't a very good analog sitck, and it had a tendency to wear out over time. I've also never really found a 3rd-party replacement that satisfies.

Pokemon Snap was a really good title. I played that with my brothers quite a bit when it was out. A lot of the other games I would want to replay on the N64 have been relesaed on Virtual console or as remakes. If Pokemon Snap hasn't been released on VC, it ought to be.

Now that I think about it, what would be even better would be a Pokemon Snap for the Wii U. The "camera" mechanic would work really well  with the touch screen. (holding it up in front of you to "frame" your shot)

A few games that come to mind would be Turok, Paper Mario, Yoshi Story, Mario Party, Pokemon stadium( use to bet on the mini-games with friends, lol), Donkey Kong 64, and good old Smash Bros. I've been tempted to hook up my 64 and play a few of the ones I own, but I am scared that they wont be what I remember. I've heard that some 64 games seem unplayable now due to the controls and frame rate. I've experinced this when trying to go back and play Goldeneye 007.  guess I'll just let the N64 days stay as I remember them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll catgeorize my reply.  The one I'm most likely to return to...

Out of the big releases: Super Mario 64

Out of the underappreciated but hearalded: Ogre Battle 64

Out of the underrated/overly reviled: Tetrisphere

I have yet to get to, but am hankering to play: Jet Force Gemini

I don't go back to the N64 very often. The biggest problem for me is the contorller. In particular, I never liked the analog stick. It wasn't a very good analog sitck, and it had a tendency to wear out over time. I've also never really found a 3rd-party replacement that satisfies.

Pokemon Snap was a really good title. I played that with my brothers quite a bit when it was out. A lot of the other games I would want to replay on the N64 have been relesaed on Virtual console or as remakes. If Pokemon Snap hasn't been released on VC, it ought to be.

Now that I think about it, what would be even better would be a Pokemon Snap for the Wii U. The "camera" mechanic would work really well with the touch screen. (holding it up in front of you to "frame" your shot)

I think they could do Pokemon Snap for that or for the 3ds either would work! It was fun you threw stuff at pokemon XD

Another one I would like to see is Yoshi's World to be able to play!

I've been craving Shadows of the Empire. I'm sure it doesn't hold up too well so just as we'll I haven't gotten around to it.

I've been craving Shadows of the Empire. I'm sure it doesn't hold up too well so just as we'll I haven't gotten around to it.
When I first read the thread title, that was one of the top titles that came to my mind too. And not just for the first snowspeeder / Battle of Hoth level either, I enjoyed all the levels (except maybe for the Tatooine swoop bike section), and hunting down all the challenge points was also pretty engaging (though sometimes frustrating).

Of course most of the gameplay has been outclassed by other titles in the past 16 or so years, but still probably in my top 3 N64 revisit list.

We had "retro game day" a few weekends ago.  Myself and three other guys played N64 all day. 

Super Smash Bros., Mario Party (1-3), 1080 Snowboarding, Snowboard Kids 2, Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Puzzle League, Killer Instinct Gold, Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, all those wrestling game...

We had a blast.  Definitely a great day.

I'd love to play Majora's Mask again.  Sadly I don't know what happened to my copy, so until I can get another I'll have to do without.

Bomberman 64, Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, Bomberman Hero, Jet Force Gemini, and Harvest Moon 64.

I so would download these titles if you could play them on your 3DS with the ability to remap the buttons.

So what is the best way to play N64 games on newer televisions/HD monitors?  I know that the N64 itself only had s-video cables.

I'm playing on a 47" LCD and even with composite cables it looks ok. Text is a bit fuzzy but not enough to bother hunting down new cables.

So what is the best way to play N64 games on newer televisions/HD monitors? I know that the N64 itself only had s-video cables.
(cough) emulation (cough)

Seriously, as excited as I am for the upcoming Retron 5, it's too bad that it won't be including N64 support. We need an N64 clone system with HD output in the worst way. Of all the various systems, the N64 stands in that middle ground between SD and HD that makes it look really terrible on modern televisions.

SUPER MARIO RPG. Which I loved almost as much as Earthbound. I'm not 47 years old and decide to say "SCREW IT!" i'm just gonna find in online someplace and just buy it.  Until I found it costs close to $500.   F me. I'm pretty sure I sold that back to the store for 10 or 20 bucks in the day... 

Hmm, only one that comes to mind that I haven't played in a few years is StarFox 64. Should dust off the cart, but doubt I will.

SSB was one of my favorite get together games on the N64, could pretty much bring anyone that was into gaming together.  I used to like it more than Melee at first, since the original was slower paced and I felt it was more methodical.  Then I realized subtle things about SSB that I saw was inferior, mainly lack of defensive moves and some character extremes (not so much an imbalance though) that really pigeonholed their playing styles, it made it hard to go back to it again.

Plus I also realized how overpowered throws were in the original, and matches became more focused on those than the character specials and combos.  Still a great game, just prefer playing Melee if given the choice.

Blast Corps. I would say 007 and the wrestling games, but I have played those a few years back and they do not hold up well at all.

There are countless games I own in storage that I want to play again. But I remember back in the day I borrowed DK64 and played it endlessly. I want to play that again because that is one game I didn't play that often but loved.

I still like to play Smash Bros on N64, in my opionion its the best one!  As corny as it sounds I had fun with Wave Race :)

Pokemon snap is def awesome. It's on the Wii Virtual Console, so there's that. I loved Star Fox, Mario Parties, Smash Bros, etc etc etc.

You know what else was really good?

WWE No Mercy. Oh man. We used to spend waaaay too many hours in that game. WCW/NWO Revenge wasn't that bad either. These 2 games can provide a ton of fun for hoooours. Especially No Mercy. 

Bleh. I loved my N64, and I'd still play it often today if it didn't look like doodoo on my TV.

And I definitely agree. Those wrestling games were great. I played Revenge and Wrestlemania 2000 to death. I didn't own No Mercy until a few years after it came out, and by that time I was onto the Smackdown games on PS2 so it never got much play from me.

I knew a lot of gamers who really liked the wrestling games on the N64. Personally, I didn't see the appeal. Whenever I played them I would just make a beeline for the nearest folding chair. While I never understood the mechanics of those games, it was never hard to figure out "apply chair to face." A folding chair to the head is entertaining no matter which video game you're playing.

I grew up with the N64 and PS1 in the prime of my gaming. First played on a Genesis though.

I still own 24 N64 games at my dad's house. All cart only but most of the good 1st party titles. Very little shovelware.

A very good 2-payer co-op game I recommend is Gauntlet Legends.

I am almost done collecting for the N64. I just need a few titles. Zelda Majora's mask. Which I used to own as a kid but never finished.

And conkers bad fur day. It released toward the end of the N64's life. I was aware of the game from the very start and probably almost rented it but I still have yet to play it. And with the current prices I am not so inclined to pay so much. A cart only copy with a horrible label goes or like $50 nowadays and the game has yet to be ported. Earthbound was having the same problem.

I am surprised I was the first person to bring up CBFD.

The game companies need to port the popular ones otherwise people will play them on emulators.

Its annoying to see hoarders sitting on multiple copies of CBFD or earthbound and chrono trigger.

[quote name="needler420" post="11447155" timestamp="1389821596"]I grew up with the N64 and PS1 in the prime of my gaming. First played on a Genesis though.

I still own 24 N64 games at my dad's house. All cart only but most of the good 1st party titles. Very little shovelware.

A very good 2-payer co-op game I recommend is Gauntlet Legends.

I am almost done collecting for the N64. I just need a few titles. Zelda Majora's mask. Which I used to own as a kid but never finished.

And conkers bad fur day. It released toward the end of the N64's life. I was aware of the game from the very start and probably almost rented it but I still have yet to play it. And with the current prices I am not so inclined to pay so much. A cart only copy with a horrible label goes or like $50 nowadays and the game has yet to be ported. Earthbound was having the same problem.
I am surprised I was the first person to bring up CBFD.
The game companies need to port the popular ones otherwise people will play them on emulators.

Its annoying to see hoarders sitting on multiple copies of CBFD or earthbound and chrono trigger.[/quote]

Conker was ported to Xbox

I honestly regret not buying a few copies of Conker's Bad Fur Day at an Odd Jobs (Amazing Savings) store 10 years ago. They were $8 each, though I didn't know much about it then.

I had to steer clear of the Hori Mini because of my giant hands, so I can't personally recommend that one. The GC-style replacement sticks are way too touchy unless you replace/reprogram the analog's circuit board...I found a guy who does it but he's not currently taking orders and you have to solder it in yourself. There's another guy I found that makes GC-to-N64 converter cables but I can't find any input on how well they work.

My suggestion would be the MakoPad 64. There are three things kind of wonky about it (offset C buttons don't work well for movement in FPS games, the Z button is mushy, and the control stick is tilted clockwise a few degrees so you have to push slightly up/right for up), but once you get used to them this controller is ace. Great ergonomics, face buttons/D-pad are super responsive and the stick is nigh perfect: a metal base to prevent wear, a mechanical system that works identically to the OEM stick and an overall smoother range of motion. I opened mine up and lubricated all of the plastic components and HOLY SHIT is it amazing. I've been playing Snowboard Kids for 15 years, and the MakoPad lets me take turns I didn't think were possible.

There's a clone called the Super Pad 64 which looks identical but the build quality is worse (in my experience).

I knew a lot of gamers who really liked the wrestling games on the N64. Personally, I didn't see the appeal. Whenever I played them I would just make a beeline for the nearest folding chair. While I never understood the mechanics of those games, it was never hard to figure out "apply chair to face." A folding chair to the head is entertaining no matter which video game you're playing.
They replicate the flow/showmanship of an actual pro wrestling match much better than any other game/series (FirePro almost comes close). I'm still waiting to find a bug-free copy of No Mercy so I won't comment on that, but WCW/NWO Revenge is fantastic fun with four players.

I've been getting back into N64 collecting over the past month. Been testing out various analog stick replacements, upgraded to S-Video, bought an official cleaning kit and fixed my system's grungy cartridge slot, etc etc. I have almost all of the major first-party games, so I've been grabbing the more niche titles that I can't find locally. MISCHIEF MAKERS YOU WILL FINALLY BE MINE

Conker, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2 and 3, and Super Mario 64.  But the last game I played through again on the N64 was Pokemon Snap.  In the Pokemon MMORPG that exists only in my head, "Journalist" is one of the job classes available.*  I had every intention of going through DK64 during a recent retro urge but instead spent two days playing the original Donkey Kong game on the cart instead.

(*You didn't ask but the others are breeder and trainer.)

I never beat Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. It's one of the few N64 games that require a memory card to save (which is bullshit considering it's a cart). There must be a problem with the game because I went through 3 different memory cards and 2 different game carts and got corrupted data every time. I really liked it but after 5 or 6 times of starting a new game I gave up.

If it ever showed up on the VC I'd pick it up and finally put this to rest.

bread's done
Back