Gamestop Ultimate Skylanders Festival

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
On Saturday, June 22nd 2013 Gamestop is holding a huge sale on Skylanders Figures and every purchase will enter you into a contest to win one of 40 character prize packs.

This is a flash sale is from Open to 2pm for your local time.

Deals

All Skylanders Giants Starters packs $39.99

Skylanders Giants Battle Packs $9.99

Limited supply of the GameStop Exclusive Polar Whirlwind and Scarlet Ninjini* Figures.

Reserve the new Skylanders Swap Force and receive the never-before-released Lightcore Hex.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/UltimateSkylandersFestival/default.aspx?cid=eml_10000929

For those curious as to what the prize pack includes,

• 2 Skylanders Lightcore Characters
  • 2 Skylanders Core Characters
  • 2 Skylanders Giant Characters
  • 2 Skylanders Reposed Characters
  • Skylanders Carrying Case
  • Skylanders Giants Starter Pack

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit, going to have to try and go at open and get a polar whirlwhind... for my daughter...  :whistle2:\"

Oh well, guess I can do the trades I was going to do early next week tomorrow then and run errands.

I think there's only 2 Battle Packs ever released: Scorpion Striker, which I very highly doubt you'll find at any GameStop, and Dragonfire Cannon which has been $15 at Best Buy for months now, and are stacked to the roofs at every GameStop I've been in. They're probably desperate to rid themselves of those things at this point. Still, $10 is an awesome price for either one if you don't already own them.

I was actually in the country of Italy a few weeks ago, and every store had TONS of Polar Whirlwind, Blue Bash, and Molten Hot Dog. It was crazy! Too bad with the exchange rate and higher MSRP there, they would have cost the equivalent of $25 each.

I REALLY want those Sidekicks, but I unfortunately have to work tomorrow and won't be anywhere near a GameStop on the one day I actually want to go there. Doubt any GS will have them by Sunday or even be selling them after the promotion.

I was actually in the country of Italy a few weeks ago, and every store had TONS of Polar Whirlwind, Blue Bash, and Molten Hot Dog. It was crazy! Too bad with the exchange rate and higher MSRP there, they would have cost the equivalent of $25 each.
Yeah, Polar WW came out there in like March and I guess the LE figures are easier to find that side of the pond.

If only I were 10 years old or desirable to women... then this sale might actually mean something...

I already sweet talked the girl at my local gamestop to hold onto 1 of each figure and a poster for me until I get off work.  The gf will be happy!

I think there's only 2 Battle Packs ever released: Scorpion Striker, which I very highly doubt you'll find at any GameStop, and Dragonfire Cannon which has been $15 at Best Buy for months now, and are stacked to the roofs at every GameStop I've been in. They're probably desperate to rid themselves of those things at this point. Still, $10 is an awesome price for either one if you don't already own them.

I REALLY want those Sidekicks, but I unfortunately have to work tomorrow and won't be anywhere near a GameStop on the one day I actually want to go there. Doubt any GS will have them by Sunday or even be selling them after the promotion.

That reminds me that gamestop had a golden catapult... Debating if I want another battlepack just for the golden version...

Hmm... these are probably just the old sidekicks, right?  The Giants sidekicks haven't shown up yet, have they?

I bought a bunch of these figures, Legendary/store exclusives, etc and have never played the game, but my kid played this a bunch. I wonder if he's at all interested in this...maybe I'll take him for the hell of it.

Do you get the Lightcore Hex for free? Or are you just eligible to buy because you reserved Swap Force? Also is it the normal $5 down pre-order?

Do you get the Lightcore Hex for free? Or are you just eligible to buy because you reserved Swap Force? Also is it the normal $5 down pre-order?
Says you get her for free, I would assume that this is going to be a pre-order that requires more down though and that's why they're doing it. I know I overheard the guy telling someone how much collectors editions and things like this required but I can't remember for the life of me how much it was. I'm sure it's going to be at least as much as the figure though or you would have people pre-ordering 20 copies at $5 a piece and flipping the figure.

You don't get the Hex until the game comes out (she comes packed in, apparently). Also, you have to put down $20 for Swap Force.

Also, the sidekicks are the regular Spyro's Adventure ones. 

My 10 yr old has been asking me to get him a Skylanders Giants pack. I figure this sale is good for that. But I am not sure what the Skylanders craze is and if I want to get him hooked on it. He's already hooked on Pokemon games, is this basically the samething only with action figures? If so, do the games have any kind of longevity like the pokemon games do (for the gameboy/DS etc.) or is this basically a Street Fighter game just with figures you need to collect?

My 10 yr old has been asking me to get him a Skylanders Giants pack. I figure this sale is good for that. But I am not sure what the Skylanders craze is and if I want to get him hooked on it. He's already hooked on Pokemon games, is this basically the samething only with action figures? If so, do the games have any kind of longevity like the pokemon games do (for the gameboy/DS etc.) or is this basically a Street Fighter game just with figures you need to collect?
It's like Diablo lite with action figure dlc and gets expensive fast. Fun but still, spent way more than I expected even buying everything on sale.

It's like Diablo lite with action figure dlc and gets expensive fast.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it more then. I figure he'll like the Diablo lite part and the collecting thing...but one thing is seeing him collect the pokemon in the games and another thing is having to BUY the figures like the Skylanders 24/7. I dont know, I'll look into it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it more then. I figure he'll like the Diablo lite part and the collecting thing...but one thing is seeing him collect the pokemon in the games and another thing is having to BUY the figures like the Skylanders 24/7. I dont know, I'll look into it. Thanks again.
As a DLC model it's a little more satisfying at least to have something physical to go with it. You also don't have to buy more figures but well yeah like that will happen with a 10 year old. ;)

As an FYI, the exclusive Polar Whilrwind figure is up on GS.com already right now.  I shameless ripped this info from SD.  I am not interested in the figure, but I figured some of you CAG's might want in without having to head into the store tomorrow.

cant select it for store pickup or anything. keep getting sever error when i select it

working now.. friggin almost 4 dollars shipping... damn saver code expiring

As an FYI, the exclusive Polar Whilrwind figure is up on GS.com already right now. I shameless ripped this info from SD. I am not interested in the figure, but I figured some of you CAG's might want in without having to head into the store tomorrow.
They've taken it down entirely now, goes to an "oops" page, way to go SD since now you can't even check inventory if you can't get there at open.

Edit- I just went to the landing page again and it might be regular Ninjini they have stock of, not Scarlet, they changed the text to remove the Scarlet. If that's the case I might be in for one of those as well since they seem to be harder to find and selling for more than the Scarlet variant.

So how does this skylanders compare to Disney Infinity?? I know skylanders has a pretty big following. Is it fun overall? Not sure which one to get the kids

Giants is fun, but I found Spyro's Adventure to be boring as shit. I play it with my little brother and he loves both, though. So YMMV if your kids will like it.

Well I didn't mean to get to GameStop 10 minutes to open but I did, not that anyone else is waiting. Lol

Infinity is kind of hard to judge since it's not out yet. Personally we don't do Disney and I find the original characters far more interesting anyway.

If your kid is like most, he'll want all the characters since they all open up different areas in the game. Plan on spending $500+ for your kid to complete what could be called a moderately fun game (for little kids only) if you decide to get them all. I know my kid wouldn't have been remotely interested in this when he was 10 since he wanted to play the games that Dad plays by then (L4D, Battlefield, Dead Space, Fallout, etc) but everyone has different interests. Also, keep in mind that you'll have to buy a starter pack or find just the portal they sit on first in order to play...unless your kid just wants to keep the figures in boxes or just play with them outside the actual game.

Went this morning with the kids. They only had about 20 Polar Whirlwinds, no Scarlet Ninjinis due to a shipping error and the cashier wouldn't give me a sidekick because they were incorrectly priced at $1000 in the system.

Now I don't care about the Ninjini but I do want the sidekick, does anybody know the correct avenue to go about contacting Gamestop so I can get it?

Went this morning with the kids. They only had about 20 Polar Whirlwinds, no Scarlet Ninjinis due to a shipping error and the cashier wouldn't give me a sidekick because they were incorrectly priced at $1000 in the system.

Now I don't care about the Ninjini but I do want the sidekick, does anybody know the correct avenue to go about contacting Gamestop so I can get it?
Sidekicks were only ringing up free if you bought an actual giant. IE Ninjini, crusher, etc.

As a huge fan of the PS1 Spyro games, does Skylanders have much of the same gameplay and appeal if I wanted to just play with Spyro?

Anybody have a picture of the free poster that they are giving out?
Untitled.jpg

I had the opposite problem, about 10 regular Ninjinis, no Polar Whirlwinds because the UPS tried to deliver in the morning before the store even opened.

Sidekicks are meant to be bundled, so individually they ring up $1000 and free when you purchase it with the required item(s).

I have had a good experience buying these games for my 9yo daughter. The starter packs for each game cost a total of about 75$ last Black Friday and are still frequently on sale. Individual figures and packs cost us another 30$ or so before we had one character of each element, which is all you need to access everything in the games. We are cheapasses, aren't we? Right now at TRU the original figures are bogo for 99 cents. It's not hard to save on these things, they're always on sale somewhere.

My store had about 6 Ninjini and 6 Polar Whirlwind at open.  The first 3 Polar Whirlwind that I saw sold went to kids that genuinely wanted them - not to some dbag eBay flipper.

+1 on the poster sucked. It was on a tear-off pad and was about a 1/3 of the size of a real poster.  Even my 9 y/o thought it was lame.

Sidekicks were only ringing up free if you bought an actual giant. IE Ninjini, crusher, etc.
That's odd because the Gamestop page says "plus a FREE Skylanders Sidekick with the purchase of any Skylanders Giants toy."

Even the cashier thought we were supposed to get them when we were buying the Polar Whirlwind figure.

Sidekicks were free with any purchase from the "Giants" line. My wife got one for free with the Polar Whirlwind purchase and another one for free when she bought a series two Hex for her aunts little boy.

I tried 2 local stores this morning to get 2 whirlwinds. Same scenario at both stores.
First I went to for a polar whirlwind and could not get the free sidekick due to computer error. Come back later with my receipt.
Second she told me it had to be a giant purchase. I got polar whirlwind and the battle pack with gold cannon. Sidekick still rang up $1000.

Pretty misleading since the whole series is called giants but they're just trying to give them free with the actual giant characters oh well at least I got s whirlwind for my exclusive collection and for my friend

Pretty misleading since the whole series is called giants but they're just trying to give them free with the actual giant characters oh well at least I got s whirlwind for my exclusive collection and for my friend
The guy I dealt with this morning is the manager of the store, pretty decent guy, and he said that he got an email literally moments before he unlocked the door clarifying that it was only giant characters. It's slightly misleading but you also don't have a lot of room to press them on it because the wording was ambiguous enough that they're not stuck. The manager said he would have been happy to over ride it for us if he could have but because they ring up at $1000 dollars outside the package he would probably have gotten in trouble.

Still got 2x Polar WW, a regular Ninjini, Thumpback, Stealth Elf and Terrafin mini, and the Chop Chop and Shroom Boom pack. Grabbed TB so I could return the other one I bough to TRU since credit > cash and get the second mini.

I got there 1 hour after open and was the first one to ask about Skylanders.  Got my Polar WW (they had gotten 6), she offered me the Ninjini they had gotten but I already had one so I left it for whoever, asked about the Sidekick and got one (she had to manually override to free).  No hassle, laid back Saturday morning.

Also renewed my subscription.  I love the people at my store.

If your store is sold out of Polar Whirlwind, have them order it online for you to get free shipping. The downside (besides waiting) is that if you're using credit, the tax is still charged.

There were over 3k in stock about an hour or so ago, according to the store I was in. I was also able to get two on one order.

Didn't get there till noon, the manager i know told me that they were out of whirlwinds within 30 minutes of opening, and had people waiting at the door for them to open.  Found a regular ninjini though finally, and got the poster and a free sidekick.

I wasn't going to go, but after seeing WWZ, I decided to swing by about 1 PM EST.  Got the only Polar Whirlwind on the pegs (there might have been more elsewhere) and a Sidekick - the CSM rang it up with a Giant and then, in the following transaction, returned the Giant.  So not too shabby.  The poster was lame though (just an ad for the next game).   I would've liked to find the Scorpion Striker (which is why I really went), but they never had any according to the CSM.

I wasn't going to go, but after seeing WWZ, I decided to swing by about 1 PM EST. Got the only Polar Whirlwind on the pegs (there might have been more elsewhere) and a Sidekick - the CSM rang it up with a Giant and then, in the following transaction, returned the Giant. So not too shabby. The poster was lame though (just an ad for the next game). I would've liked to find the Scorpion Striker (which is why I really went), but they never had any according to the CSM.
I believe the only battle pack most of the stores had were the Golden Dragonfire one.

Says you get her for free, I would assume that this is going to be a pre-order that requires more down though and that's why they're doing it. I know I overheard the guy telling someone how much collectors editions and things like this required but I can't remember for the life of me how much it was. I'm sure it's going to be at least as much as the figure though or you would have people pre-ordering 20 copies at $5 a piece and flipping the figure.
Unless if they changed it since they announced the figure, it's still only $5 since its just everything required to play the game.

Also I believe you don't get the figure til you pick up the actual game, so unless the could pay for 20 when they come out I don't believe they'd do that.

bread's done
Back