xbox gamestop mortal kombat tournament stick sale

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

Sorry If this has been posted before.I was just browsing around gamestop.com and I saw that the tournament stick dropped in price. I figured some people might be interested in this so I posted it here. Looks pretty cool I might order one but I am not so sure I would use it a lot.

Mortal Kombat Tournament Stick

http://www.gamestop....ent-stick/91093

Mortal Kombat Klassic Fight Stick

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-mortal-kombat-klassic-fight-stick/90872

25jecz5.jpg Sig.Made by Kyuby

Check Out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....er/MetalMegaGio

Check Out My Trade List!

#2 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

so jealous of you people who play MK on xbox..

#3 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

I sold mine in april. Bought it on releaae day 2 years ago and didnt even use it much.

#4 allen9917

allen9917

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

The stick looks cool and the price is great even with shipping and tax, but wasn't the stick designed only for MK games and not so great for other fighting games?  

#5 MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

The stick looks cool and the price is great even with shipping and tax, but wasn't the stick designed only for MK games and not so great for other fighting games?

Hmmm if thats true then I guess I wont order one since im not that big into Mortal Kombat. I was gonna use it for Injustice and Street Fighter.

25jecz5.jpg Sig.Made by Kyuby

Check Out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....er/MetalMegaGio

Check Out My Trade List!

#6 Daring

Daring

Wing Chun KungFu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

Mortal Kombat games has a unique 5 button layout. Middle button is use for block.  This stick will not work well with other fighting games as they mostly operate on 6+ buttons. 

#7 georgebot84

georgebot84

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Mortal Kombat games has a unique 5 button layout. Middle button is use for block.  This stick will not work well with other fighting games as they mostly operate on 6+ buttons. 

+1

#8 SlickAssGamer

SlickAssGamer

Welcome to Slick CAG Deals!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Been at this price for a while now. Sorta late to the party. Would have picked one up if not for the weird layout. =/

#9 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

This should work fine on PC like other wired 360 controllers, right?

Also, they've already said that 360 joysticks won't work on Xbox One in the future, correct?  That's a bummer. :-(  Still, a dedicated MK stick is something I wouldn't mind having, so I might jump on this for my current-gen (and possibly MAME) needs.  

Anyway I've used these at MK meetups before and they're a quality product.  I have a soft-spot for American-style joysticks and IIRC this is the only mass-produced one currently available.   :joystick:  Thanks for bringing it to our attention, OP!

#10 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Is there a free shipping code anywhere?

#11 usagi

usagi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Is there a free shipping code anywhere?

You can order in-store and get free shipping.  Since they got rid of the saver code, I've been making orders in-store sent to my home and return/rebuy with trade-in credit to get back the tax I paid in NY state.

#12 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Unless you play MK or Injustice this stick should probably be avoided unless you want to do some heavy duty modding.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif   :pc: Shadowrun Returns :-?   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot: Wind Waker HD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :ps4: MLB 14 The Show 33w7311.png
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List - H: MK8 Promo Game Choice

#13 ghostsong

ghostsong

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I got one of these last night and I love it. It's heavy and feels really nice. Don't forget the classic comes with Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and Ultimate 3.

#14 StittyMan

StittyMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm somewhat interested in this because the price is so low... but are there really only five buttons?  X, B, Y, A, and... right bumper for block?  And the run button in the corner so close to the stick?  Does that means the stick literally cannot function in games that use the left and right trigger.

*scratches head* I'm trying to imagine playing any games other than MK on this thing, and looking online for pictures of the guts to see if I could... take off the top frame and put a new frame with a better layout on it.  Might not be worth the trouble--but the "base" of the stick is so solid I'm tempted to play with it anyway.  

#15 GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim

Arcade Cabinet Builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

While this stick isn't good for other fighting games, classic arcade games that only use one or two buttons will be ok to play using this stick. The only problem I could see is the eight way stick. You might want to see if about installing a restrictor or swapping out the stick for one with a rotating 8 way / 4 way.

#16 StittyMan

StittyMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'm most interested in removing the top frame entirely and installing a new frame with the buttons laid out more "properly" in two rows of three.  

This is probably more work than it's worth though, since I'd be destroying the stick and spending more money on parts...

...or just bore some holes in a piece of plywood.

...or just solder on extension wires and glue the buttons in a better position...  you know.... wrap them around the side of the box...  

Darnit now my inner nerd wants to go hardcore and mod this thing.  -_-  

#17 GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim

Arcade Cabinet Builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

You could drill a new hole above the middle "block" button, move the run button there, and use a button plug to close that hole off. (That just sounded really dirty.) It would be similar to a Capcom 6 button layout, but not quite right.

#18 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

While this stick isn't good for other fighting games, classic arcade games that only use one or two buttons will be ok to play using this stick. The only problem I could see is the eight way stick. You might want to see if about installing a restrictor or swapping out the stick for one with a rotating 8 way / 4 way.

What exactly do you mean by this? I currently own the cheap Xbox 360 Tekken 6 stick, PS3 Marvel vs Capcom 2 Tournament stick and the Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom stick. Do any of those fit the different descriptions that you're giving? 

Edit: Do you mean the difference of the controller "clicking" into 8 spots as opposed to just a "smooth" 360 degree movement?

#19 GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim

Arcade Cabinet Builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

All micro-switch sticks have four microswitches. When they hit two at once, that's how you get the diagonals, making it eight way. Classic arcade games, like Pac-man, only used four directions, limited by a clover / diamond shaped restrictor. Hitting diagonals in those games would cause input problems.

So trying to play classic arcade games, like in a Namco collection, definitely requires a switchable restrictor. Most proper arcade controllers have a square restrictor, which can be rotated into a diamond shape. (The Tekken 6 stick is DEFINITELY NOT a proper arcade controller.)

Here's an example of some Sanwa restrictors:
U360_restrictors.jpg

#20 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm most interested in removing the top frame entirely and installing a new frame with the buttons laid out more "properly" in two rows of three.  

This is probably more work than it's worth though, since I'd be destroying the stick and spending more money on parts...

...or just solder on extension wires and glue the buttons in a better position...  you know.... wrap them around the side of the box...  

You could drill a new hole above the middle "block" button, move the run button there, and use a button plug to close that hole off. (That just sounded really dirty.) It would be similar to a Capcom 6 button layout, but not quite right.

Keep in mind that these buttons would feel very far apart, relative to a native Capcom setup.  My usual stick is a 6-button Capcom layout with a 7th button added for the MK3 run button.  When I tried the MK Tournament stick I was struck by the amount of space between the buttons, but this is accurate to the real MK arcade controls.  So drilling extra holes in this setup could work, but you'll be stretching your fingers a bit.  Although some people might actually prefer that, if the usual Capcom layout feels cramped to them.

#21 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm going to reiterate that unless you want it in it's original config that it's best to stay away, this thing was not designed for modding or lap play and is made by a second tier manufacturer.  Several much nicer Madcatz and Hori sticks have been available for around $70 in the last couple months and there will be more sales during EVO (the companies put their wares on sales during big tournaments and EVO is the biggest).  It is not worth it, do not do it, just don't.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif   :pc: Shadowrun Returns :-?   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot: Wind Waker HD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :ps4: MLB 14 The Show 33w7311.png
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List - H: MK8 Promo Game Choice

#22 GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim

Arcade Cabinet Builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Keep in mind that these buttons would feel very far apart, relative to a native Capcom setup.

Which is why I said similar, but not quite right. Yes, the spacing sucks. It would not work for me, but some people might not be as picky if they can pick up that controller cheap.

#23 StittyMan

StittyMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I'm going to reiterate that unless you want it in it's original config that it's best to stay away, this thing was not designed for modding or lap play and is made by a second tier manufacturer.  Several much nicer Madcatz and Hori sticks have been available for around $70 in the last couple months and there will be more sales during EVO (the companies put their wares on sales during big tournaments and EVO is the biggest).  It is not worth it, do not do it, just don't.

Yeaahh.... I'm already wondering how the heck I would drill new holes in the "face plate," as it has that nice glassy sheen surface.  

I guess I don't play enough MK to warrant the purchase.  Bummer. :(  

#24 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that this MK Tournament Edition stick looks fantastic and is very good quality for this ridiculous price.  The artwork looks great and the whole package is top quality.  Sure the button layout is very nonstandard and the stick is huge, but it will still work for some other games like shmups and SNK fighters.  It may be very specialized and have limited uses in other games, but it really is a nice collectible (if you have space to store stuff!).  It's a shame they stuck with the funky MK button layout, but they certainly didn't skimp on the looks and quality of this TE stick!

#25 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that this MK Tournament Edition stick looks fantastic and is very good quality for this ridiculous price.  The artwork looks great and the whole package is top quality.  Sure the button layout is very nonstandard and the stick is huge, but it will still work for some other games like shmups and SNK fighters.  It may be very specialized and have limited uses in other games, but it really is a nice collectible (if you have space to store stuff!).  It's a shame they stuck with the funky MK button layout, but they certainly didn't skimp on the looks and quality of this TE stick!

It also opens up and gives you space to store the USB cable, and I think a standard Xbox game case.  Agreed that no one should bother with this for non-MK fighters.  For other misc. arcade games though, it could be a very nice option.  Especially for someone who prefers (or is curious about) American-style sticks, as pretty much every stick on the market right now is Japan-style.

#26 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Picked up the standard classic stick and holy cow I thought it was going to be one of those cheap small ones like the tekken or wwe brawl sticks. This is a nice big arcade set.

#27 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

If my local store has one I'll pick one up. 

#28 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

Picked up the standard classic stick and holy cow I thought it was going to be one of those cheap small ones like the tekken or wwe brawl sticks. This is a nice big arcade set.

I love the Klassic stick, have one for PS3 and one for 360.  It's showing sold out on GS right now, but the TE stick is still available.  Just ordered a second TE stick as a "backup" (lol), can't resist at that price!  :joystick:

#29 howlinmad

howlinmad

Harmful if swallowed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Just ordered the TE. Damn you CAG.  :) 

Oh well, I can store my MK9 in it so I don't have to dig through to find it.  :) 

Now playing
- Anything that strikes me as fun at the time.

My crap for trade

#30 StittyMan

StittyMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

I slept on it and decided I'm getting one.  It's just too nerdalicious for the price point--and the USB connection means I can use it on the PC as well.

Might attempt a mod sometime, but not if it's too difficult.