Does the stick come with any games?

464374.png

#32 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Does the stick come with any games?

Mortal Kombat Klassic Fight Stick - comes with a download code for the Mortal Kombat Collection, whereas the Tournament Stick comes with DLC costumes (according to YouTube, don't have it yet)

#33 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

Picked up a Klassic Controller today.  Worth noting that the Klassic doesn't actually open up like the TE does.  Kind of annoying; not sure why they did that.  Still, really stoked to own this product for $40!  I forgot how huge these things are.  Feels really luxurious, like the top of an arcade control panel should.  Memory foam bottom is really nice.

#34 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm somewhat interested in this because the price is so low... but are there really only five buttons?  X, B, Y, A, and... right bumper for block?  And the run button in the corner so close to the stick?  Does that means the stick literally cannot function in games that use the left and right trigger.

There are tiny black buttons on either side of the back/guide/start cluster, so that all bumpers and triggers are represented.  Not practical to use but it ensures you won't be missing out on any functions within game menus.

#35 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

The stick looks cool and the price is great even with shipping and tax, but wasn't the stick designed only for MK games and not so great for other fighting games?

Hmmm if thats true then I guess I wont order one since im not that big into Mortal Kombat. I was gonna use it for Injustice and Street Fighter.

Mortal Kombat games has a unique 5 button layout. Middle button is use for block. This stick will not work well with other fighting games as they mostly operate on 6+ buttons.

I don't recommend this stick unless you're playing one of the MK games. While it's physically possible to use it for SF, MvC, Injustice, etc, the controls will be awkward IMHO. It's actually an 8-button setup however, only 6 are really useable with the 6th button pushing it.

This should work fine on PC like other wired 360 controllers, right?

Also, they've already said that 360 joysticks won't work on Xbox One in the future, correct? That's a bummer. :-( Still, a dedicated MK stick is something I wouldn't mind having, so I might jump on this for my current-gen (and possibly MAME) needs.

Anyway I've used these at MK meetups before and they're a quality product. I have a soft-spot for American-style joysticks and IIRC this is the only mass-produced one currently available. :joystick: Thanks for bringing it to our attention, OP!

Yes, I agree these MK sticks are surprisingly very good in terms of fit, finish & quality control despite it being made by PDP. FWIW, I collect arcade sticks so I've seen ALOT of arcade sticks in my days.

Unless you play MK or Injustice this stick should probably be avoided unless you want to do some heavy duty modding.

Yup, not exactly fun if someone plans on replacing the top panel with a Vewlix or Namco Noir/Sega Astro City layout. Too much work involved!

I'm somewhat interested in this because the price is so low... but are there really only five buttons? X, B, Y, A, and... right bumper for block? And the run button in the corner so close to the stick? Does that means the stick literally cannot function in games that use the left and right trigger.

*scratches head* I'm trying to imagine playing any games other than MK on this thing, and looking online for pictures of the guts to see if I could... take off the top frame and put a new frame with a better layout on it. Might not be worth the trouble--but the "base" of the stick is so solid I'm tempted to play with it anyway.

It actually has 8-buttons but 6 are the practical one's with the 6th button pushing it. IMHO, not worth it to swap out the top panel but that's just me. Yup, it has a very solid base!

I'm most interested in removing the top frame entirely and installing a new frame with the buttons laid out more "properly" in two rows of three.

This is probably more work than it's worth though, since I'd be destroying the stick and spending more money on parts...

...or just bore some holes in a piece of plywood.

...or just solder on extension wires and glue the buttons in a better position... you know.... wrap them around the side of the box...

Darnit now my inner nerd wants to go hardcore and mod this thing. -_-

While not impossible, IMHO that's just too much work. Someone did this & posted pics of the process on SRK (tech forum) so might want to check that out before you go all in.

What exactly do you mean by this? I currently own the cheap Xbox 360 Tekken 6 stick, PS3 Marvel vs Capcom 2 Tournament stick and the Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom stick. Do any of those fit the different descriptions that you're giving?

Edit: Do you mean the difference of the controller "clicking" into 8 spots as opposed to just a "smooth" 360 degree movement?

American-style (Happ & iL) sticks typically don't have restrictor gates.

I'm going to reiterate that unless you want it in it's original config that it's best to stay away, this thing was not designed for modding or lap play and is made by a second tier manufacturer. Several much nicer Madcatz and Hori sticks have been available for around $70 in the last couple months and there will be more sales during EVO (the companies put their wares on sales during big tournaments and EVO is the biggest). It is not worth it, do not do it, just don't.

While I agree it's made by a second-tier manufactuer, the fit, finish & quality control are surprisingly very good. Their new Injustice stick is also good for what it is (mid-level arcade stick with Qanba components) although might as well get a Qanba Q1 for less money ($60 shipped @ Focus Attack) if you don't mind not having LED's & having a Vewlix layout.

One thing to keep in mind is that this MK Tournament Edition stick looks fantastic and is very good quality for this ridiculous price. The artwork looks great and the whole package is top quality. Sure the button layout is very nonstandard and the stick is huge, but it will still work for some other games like shmups and SNK fighters. It may be very specialized and have limited uses in other games, but it really is a nice collectible (if you have space to store stuff!). It's a shame they stuck with the funky MK button layout, but they certainly didn't skimp on the looks and quality of this TE stick!

Agreed! Also, these are the differences between the Tournament Edition (TE) & Klassic sticks:

- TE has an internal storage area for a couple games & the USB cable
- TE has a clear lexan covering the bottom of the top panel
- TE has E-switches which are inferior to Cherry microswitches
- TE came bundled with MK9 & a couple DLC for both PS3 & 360 although this was sold individually but only for the 360
- Klassic has the better Cherry microswitches
- Klassic has a slightly larger surface area for the top panel
- Klassic has a plaque denoting serial number out of 6k total production
- Klassic has the DLC MK Arcade Kollection (MK 1, 2 & Ultimate MK3) which sells for ~$10 - $15

I actually sold the PDP TE (due to having too many sticks) then gave my little cousin the Klassic stick a few weeks ago (along with MK: Komplete Edition). However, at this price I couldn't resist so I just bought another Klassic stick along with a pre-owned copy of MK: Komplete Edition. Local GS took 10% off the stick since the retail box was kinda beat up (but was still brand new in factory packaging on the inside) & used that 20% off pre-owned game coupon (along with the 10% off Pro Rewards membership) so I got both the arcade stick & game for ~$50. I'm very anal about retail boxes (since I'm an arcade stick collector) so I switched it with the one I gave my little cousin (in addition to giving him the DLC code for the MK Arcade Kollection because I already used the original DLC code), LOL! Only thing I'd change on the Klassic stick would be to swap the Happ Comp joystick lever for an iL Euro. For the TE, in addition to swapping out the Happ Comp stick, I'd also swap the E-switches for Cherry microswitches.

- Jimmy

Love me some arcade sticks!

#36 StittyMan

StittyMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Looking forward to getting the stick. It should be here tomorrow (assuming I don't miss the UPS guy... grumble grumble) and will give it a test run on Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, which I already have, plus some 4-button fighters like P4A, BlazBlue, and Marvel 3.

I spoke with a friend who's more wood-worky than I am (having built a couple of decorative toyboxes for his children) and we'll take a look at what we'd need to do to move those run and block buttons.  I'm thinking if we move the block button up a notch to be level with HP/HK and then the run button to be even with LP/LK, we'd have a more standard 6 button setup for all fighting games.  

Not sure how we'll remove that clear covering though...

I'm a little surprised to learn this thing has no restrictor gate, but if I need to, installing one isn't hard. I'll play with it for a while and see how it feels.

Edit: Why exactly are the Cherry micro switches "better?"  

#37 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

You can order in-store and get free shipping.  Since they got rid of the saver code, I've been making orders in-store sent to my home and return/rebuy with trade-in credit to get back the tax I paid in NY state.

Thanks for the tip.  I just did this for the Tournament stick when I was in GameStop today, since that one is only available online.  Now my Klassic from the other day will have company, lol.  I had thought about getting two Klassics, but the Tournament is just so elegant!  That latched flip-top action is as sweet as it gets.

#38 Naramie

Naramie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

The stick looks cool and the price is great even with shipping and tax, but wasn't the stick designed only for MK games and not so great for other fighting games?  

I own this stick. My only major gripe about it is the L2, R1 buttons are much smaller located along side the PS/Xbox button which makes them useless. Difficult to hit and come with risk of hitting home button. Granted those buttons aren't really necessary, they just combine other button presses but the fact is the buttons are available just horribly utilized. It's a shame because aside from that the overall stick is pretty nice, has a good weight to it, solid construction, velvet cushioning on the bottom so it works well on laps.

If you play other fight games, I'd recommend just getting a MadCatz TE stick and just remapping the buttons for MK. That way you have full access to all of the buttons. This still really only works with the old school MK's and MK9.

#39 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Looking forward to getting the stick. It should be here tomorrow (assuming I don't miss the UPS guy... grumble grumble) and will give it a test run on Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, which I already have, plus some 4-button fighters like P4A, BlazBlue, and Marvel 3.

I spoke with a friend who's more wood-worky than I am (having built a couple of decorative toyboxes for his children) and we'll take a look at what we'd need to do to move those run and block buttons.  I'm thinking if we move the block button up a notch to be level with HP/HK and then the run button to be even with LP/LK, we'd have a more standard 6 button setup for all fighting games.  
Not sure how we'll remove that clear covering though...

I'm a little surprised to learn this thing has no restrictor gate, but if I need to, installing one isn't hard. I'll play with it for a while and see how it feels.

Edit: Why exactly are the Cherry micro switches "better?"

For the clear cover, if you're referring to the clear panel on the top then all you have to do is remove/peel the black rubber/vinyl trimming around the edge & take it from there. As for why Cherry microswitches are better than E-switches it's due to them being more responsive. Some might not notice but if you've been using one for awhile then switch to the other, you'll notice it immediately.
- Jimmy

#40 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

For the clear cover, if you're referring to the clear panel on the top then all you have to do is remove/peel the black rubber/vinyl trimming around the edge & take it from there. As for why Cherry microswitches are better than E-switches it's due to them being more responsive. Some might not notice but if you've been using one for awhile then switch to the other, you'll notice it immediately.

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to replace the E-switches on the MK TE stick with Cherry switches?  Looks like the buttons are easily accessed by removing the plastic shield that is around them underneath the panel?

If so, where would be the best place to pick up Cherry switches that would easily fit and work with this stick?

#41 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to replace the E-switches on the MK TE stick with Cherry switches? Looks like the buttons are easily accessed by removing the plastic shield that is around them underneath the panel?

If so, where would be the best place to pick up Cherry switches that would easily fit and work with this stick?

Yup, much easier to swap parts with the TE version. I prefer Paradise Arcade Shop but there a couple other reputable vendors selling them. Link for Cherry microswitches:

http://www.paradisea...5742000593.html

While you're ordering those Cherry microswitches, might as well pick up an iL Euro stick. Everything will fit (from what I remember) except the actual base plate so re-use the original:

http://www.paradisea...ostick-joystick
- Jimmy

#42 StittyMan

StittyMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Just got mine today, and HOLY HELL this thing is slick.  Beast of a base--I was rather alarmed when UPS said their shipping weight was 18+ pounds. Two pounds of that is probably packaging, but that still means you've got a 16 pound stick that ain't going anywhere while you play.  

Looking at it now, I'm not sure I want to drill holes in this baby.  Definitely want to enjoy the aesthetic for a while.

I tested it out with a variety of games, using the stock parts.  Here's some information for arcade/fighting game fans:

Final Fight: No surprises here. Graaah! Mike Haggar punch punch PILE DRIVER PIPE TO THE FACE!  Probably a next to perfect stick for beat'em ups.  Feels good bro.

MK Arcade Kollection: What can I say?  Feels arcade perfect... memories from 10 years ago came flooding back... along with the misery of cheap, quarter-sucking artificial intelligence.  Mr. Kang, how ARE you bicycle kicking me three times in one combo?  Prz.  

Marvel 2: Here's where things got weird.  I couldn't find a perfectly comfortable button setup; however, inputs were smooth and responsive.  Probably playable with practice, but not ideal.

Marvel 3: Also not ideal, but definitely playable with practice.  Emphasis on the practice--I set that center button to medium attack and tried to chain my combos in a zig-zag with my fingers.  The buttons are definitely further apart than your brain thinks you are, but because of Marvel 3's very long and forgiving input windows, I'd say anyone could give it a few hours and probably be fine.

King of Fighters 13: No problems with the buttons responding, but the tighter input windows of this game rendered the double-quarter circle motions a little difficult to pull off.  A restrictor gate would probably fix things.  I also couldn't really "nestle in" to a button setup, but practice may fix that too.  

Persona 4: Arena.  This game I was really curious about, as it's a 4-button fighter with mostly basic inputs.  Verdict: Plays pretty awesome!  I set the "block" button as a shortcut for Furious Action, and found the looseness of the stick to be great and responsive for instant air dashes.  I might bring out this stick more often for P4A from now on.

BlazBlue:CSE: Great control and great response overall, but because I'm so used to an 8-button arcade stick with  A, B, and C "mapped" to my index, middle, and ring finger, with D on the thumb, I once again had to adjust to a new control scheme.  

Out of the box and for 40$, this stick is absolutely a quality product.  With a few swapped parts (and probably a restrictor gate) it'll be even more awesome--though I can't imagine it working well for Street Fighter 4 or Skullgirls :(  without boring new holes.  Right now, I'm too busy enjoying the shiny cover and blood schmear graphic to think about that.  

And while I don't own the game, I'm sure it'd work fine for Soul Calibur too.  

#43 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

The PS3 version of the Klassic stick is the same price: http://www.gamestop....ght-stick/90876

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#44 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

The PS3 version of the Klassic stick is the same price: http://www.gamestop....ght-stick/90876

Yeah, I should've mentioned it in my previous post. For some reason, I just assumed everyone knew it was.

- Jimmy

#45 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

I think all versions are sold out now. They all show "Not available".

#46 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

I think all versions are sold out now. They all show "Not available".

Use the, "Check availability" option & type in a/your zip code then call the store when they open to verify & hold for you.

- Jimmy

#47 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Use the, "Check availability" option & type in a/your zip code then call the store when they open to verify & hold for you.

That's true, but I've found that most of the store copies of these sticks are in boxes that are beat to hell and back again. I ordered one of each Klassic and TE stick (PS3 and 360) online from GS, and each one came in mint condition in its original packing box (protecting the retail box). I know its just an outside retail box, but they are nice boxes and its nice to get them in good condition.

#48 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

That's true, but I've found that most of the store copies of these sticks are in boxes that are beat to hell and back again. I ordered one of each Klassic and TE stick (PS3 and 360) online from GS, and each one came in mint condition in its original packing box (protecting the retail box). I know its just an outside retail box, but they are nice boxes and its nice to get them in good condition.

I'd rather see the retail box in person prior to purchase. Even though I collect arcade sticks, I'm not too concerned about the retail box. If it's worn pretty bad then I just usually ask for a discount due to the damage of the retail box (they typically give 10% - 20% off). For me, ordering online is a hit or miss with bigger boxes.

- Jimmy

#49 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I got 2 Wii Tatsunoko sticks and 1 PS3 WWE stick from GameStops, in store. All boxes have been perfect.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#50 sssdddggg

sssdddggg

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

I've got two Mk tourney pads and two MK classic pads. I bought all of them when they were first released at full retail and regret nothing (thought I did sell they extra games and all promo codes that came in the bundles). I am not sure about the PS3 pads but the 360 pads work with PC and 360. I do a lot of MAME action and TMNT/xmen/simpsons/etc action on the 360 so they have pretty much paid for themselves. My only regret is that they don't work with Castle Crashers.

#51 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Inebrious Infinitus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

I got the TE MK stick on release specifically for MK and ended up just using my Madcatz TE. It's just oversized. The stick and buttons are way too far spaced for comfort.

Honestly, I 100% regret buying it. I ended up selling it for $60 later on. It's just too big and the layout doesn't allow for many comfortable setups outside of MK.

#52 eXiON

eXiON

A Wild CAG has appeared!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

If you plan on using this outside of MK then I definitely don't recommend it, the layout just doesn't lend itself to other fighting games. Still pretty decent for other simple arcade games with 1-2 buttons.

With that said, i bought one back at MSRP when it came out (the TE) and later the Klassic Fightstick by itself. Both are amazing, and to my surprise the PS3 version works without issues on my PC, didn't need MotionJoy or any other drivers. Simply plug & play. 

Shame MKKE on the PC is literally dead (less than 2+ months after release). But still feels great to finally play this game and the previous classics (MK1,MK2,UMK3) on a PROPER MK Layout, 

#53 ferris182

ferris182

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Just to let you all know that this deal is still live with limited availability. 

The MK Classic Fightstick (360+PS3) are still $39.97.  Looks like the MK9 Tournament Fightsticks are sold out.

Just check the search function within the GS website.

http://www.gamestop....bat stick,28zu0

I picked up the MK TE Xbox 360 stick over the weekend.  I had a store hold it for me for a few days.  When I picked it up, he said they were all very happy to finally get rid of the stick since its been there for over 2 years.  I said I was glad to help!

#54 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

Looks like both versions (MK Klassic & MK9 Tournament Edition) are pretty hard to find nowdays. Can't reiterate how nice these are despite manufactured by PDP...They probably outsourced it, LOL!

Slightly OT: I've got a spare MK9 TE stick (PS3; mint condition with retail box) for sale if anyone in the Dallas, TX area's interested to pick up for $75. PM me if you're interested, thanks!

- Jimmy