Skylanders Giants Starter packs(all systems) $11 or YMMV $1 @ Target after TRU PM and $1.00 reserve and $10.00 MCD Coupon

ajh2298

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
I was able to pickup a Skylanders Giants Starter Pack at Target this afternoon for $1.00 after a PM to TRU $39.99 price a $10.00 off McDonalds Coupon and a $1.00 reserve for the Swap Force Game.

Link to McDonalds $10.00 off Coupon .pdf (good till 6/30/13)

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/downloads/12ACT117_SG_McD_Coupon_Final.pdf

Target is currently running a promotion to get $30 off the Skylanders Giants starter pack for any system if you buy the $1 reservation for the next game "Swap Force".

Toys-R-Us page showing the $39.99 price for all systems.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&kw=062313starter&origkw=062313starter&kwCatId=&view=all

Most you should pay is $11.00 after PM and $1.00 reserve card. If they take the $10.00 off coupon it should only be a $1.00 plus tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP. Do you know if the register automatically took off the $30 when they scanned they $1 reservation for preordering Swap Force?

It's really hard to get my target to pricematch anything. I've never been able to do it. They require a physical ad and not a computer printout. I'm going to try tomorrow, but I doubt it will work at my specific target if the $30 promotion requires a override to go through after the price match. If it's automatic, I will have a chance if I can find a physical toysrus ad in the Sunday paper.

Thanks OP. Do you know if the register automatically took off the $30 when they scanned they $1 reservation for preordering Swap Force?

It's really hard to get my target to pricematch anything. I've never been able to do it. They require a physical ad and not a computer printout. I'm going to try tomorrow, but I doubt it will work at my specific target if the $30 promotion requires a override to go through after the price match. If it's automatic, I will have a chance if I can find a physical toysrus ad in the Sunday paper.

It was automatic for me once she scanned the card. Also I didn't even bring in the ad they should have a iPad at customer service they look up price matches with.

It was automatic for me once she scanned the card. Also I didn't even bring in the ad they should have a iPad at customer service they look up price matches with.
Cool. Thanks. Last time I tried pricematching in the videogame department and they sent a manager out to me to shut me down. I'll definitely try at the customer service desk. Maybe I'll have better luck. I'll post how it goes.

I haven't ever tried a skylanders game yet, but I'm curious what all the fuss is about. It looks like a fun 3d platformer. If they don't allow the Pricematch+$30 off, I'd settle for Pricematch+Mcdonalds coupon, or Mcdonalds Coupon+$30 off.

Does anyone know how much the 360 version costs at Target? The website says $69.99, but it also says "Online Price."

http://www.target.com/p/xbox-360-skylanders-giants-starter-pack-xbox-360/-/A-14182148#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=skylanders+giants+starter

Here's hoping I can get them to do this for me.

I haven't ever tried a skylanders game yet, but I'm curious what all the fuss is about. It looks like a fun 3d platformer. If they don't allow the Pricematch+$30 off, I'd settle for Pricematch+Mcdonalds coupon, or Mcdonalds Coupon+$30 off.
More like Diablo-lite with physical DLC in the form of toys.

Here's hoping I can get them to do this for me.

More like Diablo-lite with physical DLC in the form of toys.
Sounds fun. Every once in a while I'm in the mood for a decent kid's game where I don't have to think too hard.

I still have the Spyro's Adventure MEGA Pack sitting here unopened too. I got it during a deal for $25 at Bestbuy a while back. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PN309S/sr=8-4/qid=1372032946/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1372032946&seller=&sr=8-4

It's quite fun even if it still leaves me wishing it was just a tad deeper.  Makes me think of the Baldur's Gate and Everquest games that Snowblind did and really wishing they would do another game in that vein.

I don't see my Target combining all these, but I am gonna try.  Would love to have a Wii U version for when I am done getting the achievements.

I don't see my Target combining all these, but I am gonna try. Would love to have a Wii U version for when I am done getting the achievements.
Well it's mostly about getting a cashier that doesn't care enough to stop you. Fortunately these are able to be picked up and carried to the front so you can avoid the electronics employee who's the most likely to have an issue.

Well it's mostly about getting a cashier that doesn't care enough to stop you. Fortunately these are able to be picked up and carried to the front so you can avoid the electronics employee who's the most likely to have an issue.
What sucks is my local target has the customer service desk outside the metal detectors. I honestly might drive to a far out of the way target to avoid being scolded my security.

Or just find a security person or employee and explain what I'm doing before I start looking like a shoplifter.

About $50 if you get things while on sale. It's actually pretty goddamn easy.
Buying this Starter pack...if I can actually get it for $1 (long shot) how much of the game % wise will it allow me to experience?

I just don't know that I want to bother with having to track down/buy/collect these small toys.

Buying this Starter pack...if I can actually get it for $1 (long shot) how much of the game % wise will it allow me to experience?

I just don't know that I want to bother with having to track down/buy/collect these small toys.
Out of the box you can play, beat and enjoy the game entirely as is. You won't be able to get most of the collectibles and visit 5/8's of the side levels but if you can live with that then you're golden for $1.

Well, you'll be able to do the whole story and arena stuff, you just won't be able to unlock a lot of the extra crap like hats (that give all sorts of stat boosts) or soul gems (which allow you to level your characters up all the way).

Tried this at my local target.. They let me price match, and then I said, "I wanted to get this too." and handed her the card.  She scans it and then is about to say the total and then looks at the screen confused for a second.  She then looks back at the card and says something like "herp derp, how does this work?" 

*mental face palm*

I knew this wasn't going to be easy now.. so then she proceeded to call over various managers, and it wasn't until the 4th one got there that they basically just said "Well its one or the other, you can price match, or you can buy it with the card."

I just said "I'm done." and walked away.  Better luck to the rest of you =/  Going to try this again at a different target tomorrow..

Well, you'll be able to do the whole story and arena stuff, you just won't be able to unlock a lot of the extra crap like hats (that give all sorts of stat boosts) or soul gems (which allow you to level your characters up all the way).
The soul gems are fairly inconsequential if you're not buying other characters since they're just bonus powers but each one if specific to each character. Personally I hate the hats but that's me.

The soul gems are fairly inconsequential if you're not buying other characters since they're just bonus powers but each one if specific to each character. Personally I hate the hats but that's me.
You're right on the soul gems, but how can you hate the hats with all the ridiculous bonus stats? They makes some characters straight up murderbeasts! I have one that adds like, 50% extra crit and +100 damage!

You're right on the soul gems, but how can you hate the hats with all the ridiculous bonus stats? They makes some characters straight up murderbeasts! I have one that adds like, 50% extra crit and +100 damage!
It's an utterly silly reason but that's exactly why I hate them. I never enjoy when I feel like I have to choose between playing a game gimped or wearing something that I don't enjoy looking at. It goes back to all the time I spent in WoW obsessing over whether to wear the pretty thing or the effective thing as the min/maxer and desire to play dress up collided.

It's an utterly silly reason but that's exactly why I hate them. I never enjoy when I feel like I have to choose between playing a game gimped or wearing something that I don't enjoy looking at. It goes back to all the time I spent in WoW obsessing over whether to wear the pretty thing or the effective thing as the min/maxer and desire to play dress up collided.
There are some totally stylin' hats, though. Just gotta find what fits you, bro.

How does the Reserve thing work? There have been some good deals that I wanted to do but did not want to get the games they were attached to.

Do you have to buy the game when it is released or do you just have to pay the reserve price and call it served?

Might do this for the boys since they keep fighting over Jet Vac and get them another.

How does the Reserve thing work? There have been some good deals that I wanted to do but did not want to get the games they were attached to.

Do you have to buy the game when it is released or do you just have to pay the reserve price and call it served?

Might do this for the boys since they keep fighting over Jet Vac and get them another.
It's just a $1 card that you pay for, no obligation to pick it up and they don't take your name or anything. If you do keep the card and decide to pick up the game you get a $5 gift card (unless they changed it).

Does anyone know if I can get a physical coupon for the McDonald's coupon. I think bringing a print out and trying to get $40 off a $40 game is a bit too fishy to not go with some better proof.

I might just buy the game for $10, than come back later and give them the $10 coupon. I'll just ask them to apply it. Hopefully they don't deny that.

Does anyone know if I can get a physical coupon for the McDonald's coupon. I think bringing a print out and trying to get $40 off a $40 game is a bit too fishy to not go with some better proof.

I might just buy the game for $10, than come back later and give them the $10 coupon. I'll just ask them to apply it. Hopefully they don't deny that.
You'e a lot more likely to get denied trying to do it that way.

I just replicated this deal. Did the price match first, handed over the card, the manager's eyes boggled and she said that it was a ridiculous deal. Then I went into the McDonald's offered manufacturers coupon, she scanned it and when I used my Red card (essentially cancels tax here) she said, "that's incredible." No hitch whatsoever.

ETA she forgot to give me back the reservation card, but I didn't really want it anyway.

do you have to go to cs desk for pricematch? I scared the cs might remember me from just dance deal last time. I had trouble with that deal. I just want to go to a regular register and pricematch and pay with my other items. That way it is less suspicious

Will be trying this later when I go pick up some household items. I got some other coupons for stuff so hopefully the crazy reduction in price will be masked.Thanks OP!

I had success today. Grabbed a random MegaBlocks Skylanders Giants set for $39.99 with the sole purpose of not having a $.99 bill and complete intention of returning it. Also grabbed X-Men:Wolverine on blu-ray w/movie cash to see the The Wolverine for $8. Went directly to customer service and said I wanted a PM at TRU. She opened up the ipad and we then had trouble finding the item on the TRU site. Finally, she just verified the price with the online ad and adjusted it to $39.99. I then gave her the MegaBlocks set, Blu-ray and finally the Preorder. She glanced at the screen a second time and I said I also had a manufacturers coupon - handed her the printed McD coupon which she also briefly glanced at, scanned and my total was $51.

Once I return the MegaBlocks set, my total will be just under $10 for Skylanders Giants Starter Pack (xbox 360), Blu-ray, Movie Tix and Preorder card.

do you have to go to cs desk for pricematch? I scared the cs might remember me from just dance deal last time. I had trouble with that deal. I just want to go to a regular register and pricematch and pay with my other items. That way it is less suspicious
I believe that is YMMV. I've PM'ed at both the customer service desk and a regular cash register before. It all depends on your store's employees and whether or not they care/know how to PM at the register.

I believe that is YMMV. I've PM'ed at both the customer service desk and a regular cash register before. It all depends on your store's employees and whether or not they care/know how to PM at the register.
I think if you have a print ad you can go to the register. Otherwise they are supposed to verify the price with their ipad as CS.

I think if you have a print ad you can go to the register. Otherwise they are supposed to verify the price with their ipad as CS.
Yeah, the front lane cashiers are the most lax generally and having the ad makes it a lot easier since they don't have to take an hour to find it on the iPad. Sadly our paper didn't come with one and I'm not sure if TRU has them in store.

So if I buy this (big IF)....how much money should I expect to have to invest to be able to experience the full game?
Somebody on SD mentioned using the McDonalds coupon on single, $10.99 figures. So, it should be cheap if you print out multiple McD coupons from the OP and get all you're going to get by the time the coupon expires.

Somebody on SD mentioned using the McDonalds coupon on single, $10.99 figures. So, it should be cheap if you print out multiple McD coupons from the OP and get all you're going to get by the time the coupon expires.
Haha... wow it does not say anything about the starter kit this time unlike the $20 coupon. The very fact that it doesn't and specifically says "characters, giants and lightcore" should make it hard for store to turn down when it's a legitimate manufacturer's coupon.

Edit- Never mind, there is fine print on the back that says good on starter pack only.

Does TRU usually have their ad in store? I may go try this but I'd like to just have the print ad on hand.
Even if you find out if TRU has physical ads in their store, you may still find someone who insists on whipping out Target's iPad and searching Skylanders Giants Starter Pack on toysrus.com(where they will see the $39.99 price).

Even if you find out if TRU has physical ads in their store, you may still find someone who insists on whipping out Target's iPad and searching Skylanders Giants Starter Pack on toysrus.com(where they will see the $39.99 price).
Yes but that's best avoided if possible because those people can generally barely work their register let alone an iPad with flaky software and the policy only specifies that they have to go that route for online PM.

Got shot down at Target number 1. The ap guy shot me down with a "one or the other" shpiel but I requested to see where it said it in the price matching terms and he came up with "I am telling you now." Bs. Didn't have time to debate much so I walked out with nothing.

Btw: terms don't say price matching can't be combined with in store offer except for target GC offers.

Terms:

https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q4071

Got it! The Electronics guy took my word that it was $39.99 at Toys R' Us...out the door at $1+. Thank you CAG!!!!! I've been wanting to get this for a little bit now.  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

I had success today. Grabbed a random MegaBlocks Skylanders Giants set for $39.99 with the sole purpose of not having a $.99 bill and complete intention of returning it. Also grabbed X-Men:Wolverine on blu-ray w/movie cash to see the The Wolverine for $8. Went directly to customer service and said I wanted a PM at TRU. She opened up the ipad and we then had trouble finding the item on the TRU site. Finally, she just verified the price with the online ad and adjusted it to $39.99. I then gave her the MegaBlocks set, Blu-ray and finally the Preorder. She glanced at the screen a second time and I said I also had a manufacturers coupon - handed her the printed McD coupon which she also briefly glanced at, scanned and my total was $51.

Once I return the MegaBlocks set, my total will be just under $10 for Skylanders Giants Starter Pack (xbox 360), Blu-ray, Movie Tix and Preorder card.
I did it just like sassylaurie and everything worked out great. I don't expect any problems returning my Megablocks, so I should have my 360 set for $1. This is an absolutely screaming deal. Way to go OP!

I had that issue with my Target too. They fought my electronic ad because "i could have doctored it" , even though he was looking up the same web page on his ipad. Then when i brought out the manufacturer's coupon they tried fighting that. FYI, they tend to want to try price matching the competitor's web site vs the the ad.

bread's done
Back