Philips CD-i

DoctorNick

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all, can't figure out how to search for anything on the new site so I wanted to start a thread about the Philips CD-i.  Does anybody out there own one or any games for it?  I just picked one up for $50.00 and am trying to hunt down the Zelda/Link titles for it.  Any info or memories about this console would be cool to hear about, as I only recently learned this was one of the few video game systems I didn't own!

Also I guess if anybody has the Zelda/Link titles for sale or trade you're more than welcome to message me :).  Let us discuss the Philips CD-i.

i still actually have my phillips CD-i, still works too, though the cd tray makes a not so good noise when opening and closing.

Have had a CD-i since 1995.  Outside of one of my cats chewing through the cable to one of my controllers 3 years ago, I have never had any problems with my CD-i.  The Zelda and Link titles for the CD-i are on the rare side and command quite a bit on eBay.  I wish I could help you on your Zelda/Link hunt but I don't own any of those titles.

i still actually have my phillips CD-i, still works too, though the cd tray makes a not so good noise when opening and closing.
The CD-i I picked up also makes a rough noise when opening or closing. Other than that seems to work pretty well. The problem now is I can't locate any games for it, even on ebay they are pretty much listed at ridiculous prices Buy it Now. I only have Dark Castle which is an absolutely awful game. I can't find a normal controller either and the remote is not very good for trying to play a game.

There really isn't anything "great" on the CD-I. A couple good ports like Flashback, Lemmings & Micro Machines. Even some of the better games on the CD-I are dated. But here's a few off the top of my head:

Merlin's Apprentice - My personal favorite. A nice colorful 2D platformer.

Dimo's Quest - A action/puzzle game plays much like Lolo's Adventures on the NES.

Mutant Rampage Bodyslam - Standard Beat em' Up. Pretty bland but it's at least playable

Tetsuo Gaiden - Your basic space shooter. Again, bland but it's something.

Good luck on those Link/Zelda games. The overhead one "Zelda's Adventures" isn't too bad. If you're going to buy at least one I recomend that. The other two a frustrating and clunky, but the soundtracks are kinda nice. Unless you're in it for collection purposes I would stay away from them.

There really isn't anything "great" on the CD-I. A couple good ports like Flashback, Lemmings & Micro Machines. Even some of the better games on the CD-I are dated. But here's a few off the top of my head:

Merlin's Apprentice - My personal favorite. A nice colorful 2D platformer.

Dimo's Quest - A action/puzzle game plays much like Lolo's Adventures on the NES.

Mutant Rampage Bodyslam - Standard Beat em' Up. Pretty bland but it's at least playable

Tetsuo Gaiden - Your basic space shooter. Again, bland but it's something.

Good luck on those Link/Zelda games. The overhead one "Zelda's Adventures" isn't too bad. If you're going to buy at least one I recomend that. The other two a frustrating and clunky, but the soundtracks are kinda nice. Unless you're in it for collection purposes I would stay away from them.

Thanks for the suggestions, will keep an eye out for them! The Zelda games are more for collection but I do want to play them (saw them on AVGN and they look bad enough to be fun). I was winning a sealed copy of Wand of Gammelon for $43.00 and the seller pulled it with less than 2 minutes left! I am beyond pissed about that. Anyways now I'm just hunted for those games you mentioned plus a normal controller for less than 79.99 Buy it Now. Hoping to hit some Flea Markets this weekend so maybe I'll get lucky.

I've been looking at grabbing some of the obscure consoles as well and was looking at CD-I. $50 seems like a great deal from what I've seen. Did you pick it up in an eBay auction? I just started watching some of these type consoles and would like to get the CD-I, if the price is right.

Also, Wands of Gamelon being pulled on you at that price would make me absolutely sick....

Actually if anyone has the 3rd Zelda, the digitized one, for a reasonable price, please pm me.

Sorry Dr.Nick but I put that in since that's the only CD-i Zela I want.

I've been looking at grabbing some of the obscure consoles as well and was looking at CD-I. $50 seems like a great deal from what I've seen. Did you pick it up in an eBay auction? I just started watching some of these type consoles and would like to get the CD-I, if the price is right.

Also, Wands of Gamelon being pulled on you at that price would make me absolutely sick....
Yeah he re-listed it at 89.99 BIN, not even going to look at it for that price. If you can get one for $50 working and with a remote/controller go for it. On eBay the cheapest I saw them go for was upwards of $80 for untested! I got mine from some guy on Craigslist. He asked $100 and I offered $50 saying let me know if it is available 2 weeks later, he responded the next day and said sold. The obscure consoles aren't too pricey especially if you can avoid eBay. The last one made after 1990 I need now would be the Jaguar CD (first one I got at a flea market won't work!!!). I guess I need a 32x if you count that too, I'm just not paying over $35 for something that isn't that rare or that fun for the matter. If you're looking for obscure pm me. I might be getting a spare 3DO for dirt cheap and if it is working I'll sell it to you for what I get it for + shipping.

I dont have a Cd-1 but i do have both versions of the 3DO with about 40-50 games in boxes. The system never really grabbed my attention for too long and its too bad because I really wanted to like it heh.

I am actually now looking to sell my CDI, as i no longer play it, i fired it up about a month ago to show a friend a few titles that he had never heard of, and decided then that i do not need it. if any one is interested please PM me,

i have the phillips 220 model, the remote that it came with, the wired game pad, the original instructions.

the games i own are Voyeur, Kether, international tennis open, Mystic Midway, Zelda: wand of gamelon, Link: Faces of evil, wacky world of miniature golf, and comptons interactive encyclopedia. 

Edit: Sold

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back