Photo
- - - - -

Philips CD-i

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorNick

DoctorNick

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hey all, can't figure out how to search for anything on the new site so I wanted to start a thread about the Philips CD-i.  Does anybody out there own one or any games for it?  I just picked one up for $50.00 and am trying to hunt down the Zelda/Link titles for it.  Any info or memories about this console would be cool to hear about, as I only recently learned this was one of the few video game systems I didn't own!

Also I guess if anybody has the Zelda/Link titles for sale or trade you're more than welcome to message me :).  Let us discuss the Philips CD-i.

#2 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

i still actually have my phillips CD-i, still works too, though the cd tray makes a not so good noise when opening and closing.

Posted Image

#3 mikek1975

mikek1975

Real old school gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Have had a CD-i since 1995.  Outside of one of my cats chewing through the cable to one of my controllers 3 years ago, I have never had any problems with my CD-i.  The Zelda and Link titles for the CD-i are on the rare side and command quite a bit on eBay.  I wish I could help you on your Zelda/Link hunt but I don't own any of those titles.

Old school collector: Over 800 titles ranging from the Odyssey 2 to the 3DS.

#4 DoctorNick

DoctorNick

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

i still actually have my phillips CD-i, still works too, though the cd tray makes a not so good noise when opening and closing.

The CD-i I picked up also makes a rough noise when opening or closing.  Other than that seems to work pretty well.  The problem now is I can't locate any games for it, even on ebay they are pretty much listed at ridiculous prices Buy it Now.  I only have Dark Castle which is an absolutely awful game.  I can't find a normal controller either and the remote is not very good for trying to play a game.

#5 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

There really isn't anything "great" on the CD-I. A couple good ports like Flashback, Lemmings & Micro Machines. Even some of the better games on the CD-I are dated. But here's a few off the top of my head:

Merlin's Apprentice - My personal favorite. A nice colorful 2D platformer.

Dimo's Quest - A action/puzzle game plays much like Lolo's Adventures on the NES.

Mutant Rampage Bodyslam - Standard Beat em' Up. Pretty bland but it's at least playable

Tetsuo Gaiden - Your basic space shooter. Again, bland but it's something.

Good luck on those Link/Zelda games. The overhead one "Zelda's Adventures" isn't too bad. If you're going to buy at least one I recomend that. The other two a frustrating and clunky, but the soundtracks are kinda nice. Unless you're in it for collection purposes I would stay away from them.

#6 DoctorNick

DoctorNick

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

There really isn't anything "great" on the CD-I. A couple good ports like Flashback, Lemmings & Micro Machines. Even some of the better games on the CD-I are dated. But here's a few off the top of my head:

Merlin's Apprentice - My personal favorite. A nice colorful 2D platformer.

Dimo's Quest - A action/puzzle game plays much like Lolo's Adventures on the NES.

Mutant Rampage Bodyslam - Standard Beat em' Up. Pretty bland but it's at least playable

Tetsuo Gaiden - Your basic space shooter. Again, bland but it's something.

Good luck on those Link/Zelda games. The overhead one "Zelda's Adventures" isn't too bad. If you're going to buy at least one I recomend that. The other two a frustrating and clunky, but the soundtracks are kinda nice. Unless you're in it for collection purposes I would stay away from them.

Thanks for the suggestions, will keep an eye out for them!  The Zelda games are more for collection but I do want to play them (saw them on AVGN and they look bad enough to be fun).  I was winning a sealed copy of Wand of Gammelon for $43.00 and the seller pulled it with less than 2 minutes left!  I am beyond pissed about that.  Anyways now I'm just hunted for those games you mentioned plus a normal controller for less than 79.99 Buy it Now.  Hoping to hit some Flea Markets this weekend so maybe I'll get lucky.

#7 SpidrMnky

SpidrMnky

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

I've been looking at grabbing some of the obscure consoles as well and was looking at CD-I. $50 seems like a great deal from what I've seen. Did you pick it up in an eBay auction? I just started watching some of these type consoles and would like to get the CD-I, if the price is right.

Also, Wands of Gamelon being pulled on you at that price would make me absolutely sick....

:hot: Earn free Amazon Gift Cards! PM if you have questions. :hot: 

#8 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Actually if anyone has the 3rd Zelda, the digitized one, for a reasonable price, please pm me.

Sorry Dr.Nick but I put that in since that's the only CD-i Zela I want.

Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#9 DoctorNick

DoctorNick

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've been looking at grabbing some of the obscure consoles as well and was looking at CD-I. $50 seems like a great deal from what I've seen. Did you pick it up in an eBay auction? I just started watching some of these type consoles and would like to get the CD-I, if the price is right.

Also, Wands of Gamelon being pulled on you at that price would make me absolutely sick....

Yeah he re-listed it at 89.99 BIN, not even going to look at it for that price.  If you can get one for $50 working and with a remote/controller go for it.  On eBay the cheapest I saw them go for was upwards of $80 for untested!  I got mine from some guy on Craigslist.  He asked $100 and I offered $50 saying let me know if it is available 2 weeks later, he responded the next day and said sold.  The obscure consoles aren't too pricey especially if you can avoid eBay.  The last one made after 1990 I need now would be the Jaguar CD (first one I got at a flea market won't work!!!).  I guess I need a 32x if you count that too, I'm just not paying over $35 for something that isn't that rare or that fun for the matter.  If you're looking for obscure pm me.  I might be getting a spare 3DO for dirt cheap and if it is working I'll sell it to you for what I get it for + shipping.

#10 SpidrMnky

SpidrMnky

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sent a PM as I'd be interested in the 3DO and sharing info also.

:hot: Earn free Amazon Gift Cards! PM if you have questions. :hot: 

#11 RatedU4Ugly

RatedU4Ugly

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I dont have a Cd-1 but i do have both versions of the 3DO with about 40-50 games in boxes. The system never really grabbed my attention for too long and its too bad because I really wanted to like it heh.

#12 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

I am actually now looking to sell my CDI, as i no longer play it, i fired it up about a month ago to show a friend a few titles that he had never heard of, and decided then that i do not need it. if any one is interested please PM me,

i have the phillips 220 model, the remote that it came with, the wired game pad, the original instructions.

the games i own are Voyeur, Kether, international tennis open, Mystic Midway, Zelda: wand of gamelon, Link: Faces of evil, wacky world of miniature golf, and comptons interactive encyclopedia. 

Edit: Sold

Posted Image