Moving to Austin, TX. - Fill me in on the good stuff to do there.

the_grimace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
After planning a move for about 6 months, we decided Austin, TX was our best choice.  I like the hot weather, it's the 4th biggest city for game development (the industry I work in), and it seems like there will be lots to do there.  We will be living in Round Rock, but I'm wondering what people can recommend for "The best of" for Austin and Round Rock. I'll be moving there in just two weeks, so I'm just hoping to get some good ideas of best things in the area.

Some things in particular:

Best internet?  (I heard Time Warner sucks bad)

Good Auto service?

Good doctors?

Best pizza?

Best chinese food?

Best Mexican food?

Best gyms/health clubs?

Bowling alleys?

Best outdoor activities and places to go?

Best grocery stores?

Any gaming meetups, conventions?

Feel free to fill me in with any other information about cool stuff in the area, just taking notes and hoping to kick start my life in the Austin area.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!

I live in San Antonio but visit Austin occasionally. They have anime conventions every year at the end of December (Ikkicon)

Arcade UFO for mostly fighting games but they have others

SXSW every year

6th street if you like to party

Best Grocery store is probably H.E.B

you said "we" so im going to assume you are married, if not Austin has some AMAZING women

That's all I can really help with 

I'm in Houston and I'll make the trek up 290 all the way to Austin every now and then.

Google Fiber was announced for Austin not too long ago so you might want to check that out when you get there.

In terms of food, I can't speak for Austin that much but if it's anything like Houston or San Antonio, you're probably going to find a mexican and chinese place on every other corner. I suggest trying out local places once you get settled and deciding what's best yourself. You should be able to find some good BBQ too if you're a fan. Rudy's is a Texas staple.

Austin has a lot of festivals/concerts pretty much year round.

H.E.B or Whole Foods is probably going to be your best bet grocery wise.

Alamo Drafthouse is perfect if you wanna have a drink/meal and watch a movie.

And whatever else Jack_Frost already said.

There's no professional sports teams though, which is really the only problem I'd have with living there. But if you're a fan of baseball, I know Round Rock has a decent AAA baseball team. Will Ferrell even made an appearence at a game as "Rojo" Johnson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haHlFA_bDkI

Last edited by a moderator:
Only been there once so far but the place and people are pretty eclectic.  Interesting shops including some antique stores to go to with your wife/girlfriend and browse, and probably buy something from your childhood.  Lots of places to eat, including food trucks.  

-Best pizza I've had so far: Parlor pizza, Conans.
-Bowling/Rock Climbing/Laser Tag/Glow-in-the-dark Mini golf: Main Event
-Outdoor activity: Greenbelt for hiking, swimming; Canoeing/Kayaking on town lake; lots of running/biking races/events
-Grocery Stores: My favs include Whole Foods, Sprouts Farmers Market and Central Market.
-Conventions/Festivals: Comic Con, South by South West, ACL
-Others: downtown area beautiful, lots to do, lots of bars, clubs and restaurants; Alamo Drafthouse is THE best movie theater around, second fav is Flix Brewhouse which is located in Round Rock; my fav restaurant is Kerbey Lane, I also like Hopdoddy's. Amy's Ice cream has awesome ice cream, Birds Barborshop for Haircuts. The Domain is a cool shopping area with a bunch of stores and restaurants. You'll find a ton of awesome food trucks, mainly down in south Austin.
-for cable I'd go with dish or AT&T uverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best internet?  (I heard Time Warner sucks bad)I have U-Verse now. I preferred TIme Warner since it's faster.

Best pizza? Homeslice on South Congress

Best Mexican food? There are so many great places. You really can't go wrong. Breakfast tacos are the best.

Best outdoor activities and places to go? We love going to Zilker Park

Best grocery stores? HEB and Sprouts

The worst cities in America are college towns, state capitols, and places politically opposed to its surroundings (turns em into shell shocked crazies). Austin is all three. I desperately wanted to love it but there's nothing worse in the galaxy than being in the grocery store between a disgusting political operative douche and a college know it all hippie. 

It's got good food, killer surroundings and outdoor adventuring, and a pretty damned decent music scene. If we in Houston could steal away Austin's music scene, we'd be perfect. 

The worst cities in America are college towns, state capitols, and places politically opposed to its surroundings (turns em into shell shocked crazies). Austin is all three. I desperately wanted to love it but there's nothing worse in the galaxy than being in the grocery store between a disgusting political operative douche and a college know it all hippie.

It's got good food, killer surroundings and outdoor adventuring, and a pretty damned decent music scene. If we in Houston could steal away Austin's music scene, we'd be perfect.
yea im in houston too. this about sums up my feelings on austin as well. i visit a few friends there sometimes. def a thick "hipster" crowd... bring your scarf!

bread's done
Back