BEST AND WORST VIDEO GAME PODCAST

hunterny77

CAGiversary!
As an avid video game player and collector, I have listened to countless hours of video game podcast for entertainment and insight into the video game industry. Instead of listening to white noise, nature sound recordings, or playing portable game systems like Shipwreck, I listen to video game podcast before bed. I have compiled this list of my personal favorites and "not so muches", to provide this community with new podcast options, get your views on video game podcast personalities but ultimately to document...

MY BEST AND WORST VIDEO GAME PODCAST.

Best Video Game Podcast:

10. All Gen Gamers, hosted by Jason Heine, Topics: Retro and Current Gen.

09. Hatebit Podcast, hosted by Alphaomegasin, Topics: Retro and Current Gen.

08. Invisible Walls, hosted by Ryan Stevens, Topic: Current Gen.

07. The Axe Factor, hosted by Brent Adams, Topic: Current Gen.

06. Podcast Unlocked, hosted by Ryan McCaffrey, Topic: Xbox consoles

05. The Game Informer Show, hosted by Matt Helgeson, Topic: Current Gen.

04. EpicBattleAxe, hosted by Daniel Kyser, Topic: Current Gen.

03. Bombcast, hosted by Ryan Davis, Topic: Current Gen.

02. Cagcast, hosted by David Abrams, Topics: Current Gen., Department stores, Movies, Poop, Children

01. Weekend Confirmed, hosted by Garnett Lee, Topics: Current Gen. and Spirits and Beer

Honorable Mentions: RadioRadar, Joystiq Podcast, Atgamerpodcast, Rpgrinders

Worst Video Game Podcast:

10. Rpgcast, hosted by Chris Privitere, Topics: Retro, Current Gen, RPGs

09. Dead Pixel Live, hosted by Derrick H, Topics: Retro and Current Gen.

08. Video Game Outsiders, hosted by John Jakobson, Topic: Current Gen

07. Oxmonline, hosted by Dave Rudden, Topic: Xbox consoles

06. The Besties, hosted by Justin McElroy, Topic: Undefined

05. Game Scoop, hosted by Greg Miller, Topic: Current Gen

04. 8-4 Play, hosted by Mark MacDonald, Topic: Current Gen.

03. Podcast Beyond, hosted by Greg Miller, Topic: Playstation consoles

02. Rebel FM, hosted by Anthony Gallegos, Topic: Current Gen.

01. Podtoid, hosted Anthony Burch, Topics: Current Gen. and d*ck jokes

***Disclosure: I am not related or affliated to any persons on any of the mentioned podcast. I have not been compensated to endorse any mention podcast  My opinion my differ than yours and it is Okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Rebel FM.... and 8-4 play for that matter.

I don't know how you can have the Cagcast on there and not Podtoid.
Actually thanks for bringing my memory back. I actually did listen to Destructoid's Podtoid. As much as I enjoy Jim Sterling's written word. I can not bear to listen to his voice as he spews sexual references to his colleagues on the podcast.

List Updated.

Wait, seriously? Podtoid is not any worse than the Cagcast. Plus, I'd rather listen to sex jokes than stories about passing out because somebody shit too hard.

Also, Anthony Burch hasn't been a member of Podtoid for about 2 years.

Wait, seriously? Podtoid is not any worse than the Cagcast. Plus, I'd rather listen to sex jokes than stories about passing out because somebody shit too hard.

Also, Anthony Burch hasn't been a member of Podtoid for about 2 years.
You are correct. Podtoid is not any worse than Cagcast. The Cagcast is better in my opinion as it is #2 in my Best Video Games list.
I choose to pass on sexual references to each others genitalia and the desire to see your collegue naked. Even the majority of Podtoid Episode Titles are in poor taste.

If you enjoy Podtoid, good for you that you find it entertaining.

I tend to like the IGN podcasts. I mostly like Podcast Beyond because I'm a fan of Greg Miller and I think he's a fool that keeps me smiling. Gamescoop went down hill after they did the all Video podcast. I enjoy Rebel FM, it can be a little boring at times but if you are tired of sex jokes in every either podcast and just want straight gaming talk, this is for you. I tried listening to Podtoid, but 2 hours of Jim Sterling was too much for me. I use to listen to the Comedy Button but the jokes got old quick, also tired of the racist jokes and the occasional N-word thrown in every episode. I think The Indoor Kids is good with Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon. It's not the typical 3 or 4 dudes talking about videos games. It's a husband and wife with a guess talking about the games they play and different topics of gaming. My least favorite podcast was IGN's Girlfight. I was like finally a podcast with girls talking about games. I'm a girl, I like games, I should take a listen. I tried to like the show but it was just too boring.

I tend to like the IGN podcasts. I mostly like Podcast Beyond because I'm a fan of Greg Miller and I think he's a fool that keeps me smiling. Gamescoop went down hill after they did the all Video podcast. I enjoy Rebel FM, it can be a little boring at times but if you are tired of sex jokes in every either podcast and just want straight gaming talk, this is for you. I tried listening to Podtoid, but 2 hours of Jim Sterling was too much for me. I use to listen to the Comedy Button but the jokes got old quick, also tired of the racist jokes and the occasional N-word thrown in every episode. I think The Indoor Kids is good with Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon. It's not the typical 3 or 4 dudes talking about videos games. It's a husband and wife with a guess talking about the games they play and different topics of gaming. My least favorite podcast was IGN's Girlfight. I was like finally a podcast with girls talking about games. I'm a girl, I like games, I should take a listen. I tried to like the show but it was just too boring.
Thanks for naming some additional podcast that I may have to check out. As for Rebel FM, I found them to be to jaded and the conversations they had were as though they were talking amongst themselves and not aware of the listener. They would also scoff at idea of revealing spoilers weren't important and didn't need to be preserved for the listeners to experience on their own. Podcast Beyond we're worst in that that would say a spoiler then say, "Opps Spoiler!" then Collin would say what amount to "Deal With It". To me he is very pompous.

I agree with the OP at least for Weekend Confirmed, best gaming podcast by far IMO. I do disagree in some of his worsts, but we all have different tastes. I would also recommend Wired's Game Life, it is great if you want straight up talk/analysis of the game industry.

Some of my favorite podcasts are: Weekend Confirmed, Wired's Game Life Audio Podcast, Joystiq Podcast, Podcast Beyond, IGN Game Scoop, Invisible Walls, Rebel FM, PS Nation Podcast.  (can I add Comedy Button to that list, its not gaming, but its fun as heck)

On the other hand, I actually hate the Bombcast, the seemingly don't talk about games for half of the show, it annoys me. Podtoid annoys me since they curse to much sometimes in my opinion.

Podcast Beyond is probably the only one that I listen to on a consistent basis, and I love it.  Greg Miller is hilarious, and I usually will find myself cracking up at some point during any podcast.

I hadn't heard of a lot of these other ones so I'll definitely be checking some of them out.

Podcast Beyond is probably the only one that I listen to on a consistent basis, and I love it. Greg Miller is hilarious, and I usually will find myself cracking up at some point during any podcast.

I hadn't heard of a lot of these other ones so I'll definitely be checking some of them out.
Greg Miller is not the source of contempt for Podcast Beyond; it's the obnoxious dribble of Collin Moriarty. Am I wrong in saying Collin Moriarty stays and Ryan Clements gets the boot after Ziff Davis acquired IGN again.

Greg Miller is not the source of contempt for Podcast Beyond; it's the obnoxious dribble of Collin Moriarty. Am I wrong in saying Collin Moriarty stays and Ryan Clements gets the boot after Ziff Davis acquired IGN again.
I agree. My only problem with podcast beyond is Collin, he is annoying and sounds at times like a self entitled fanboy. What he says most of the time I agree with and is true, but the way he says it seems arrogant most times. He does combined well with Greg though and have good chemistry.

It's a real shame that Ryan had to go after the Ziff acquisition. He was the calmed me of the bunch and held the podcast on topic at times. Still a great podcast.

I highly recommend the old Talk Radars, pure gaming/ humor podcast gold. The hosts of that one moved on after the death/rebranding of GamesRadar and are doing LaserTime now which has split off a few podcasts including Vidjagame Apocalypse and VGMpire.

Incoming this week is my overview of #10 Of the Best Video Game Podcast...THE HATEBIT PODCAST!!!

I highly recommend the old Talk Radars, pure gaming/ humor podcast gold. The hosts of that one moved on after the death/rebranding of GamesRadar and are doing LaserTime now which has split off a few podcasts including Vidjagame Apocalypse and VGMpire.
Seriously, TalkRadar was fucking amazing. I listened to that shit for years, from high school through most college, and not only was it always funny, interesting and a great way to keep up with gaming news, but I really feel like I KNOW Chris, Brett, Michael, Charlie, etc. Like, I know so much about their lives, relationships, careers, childhoods, etc. I don't listen to the newer casts as much as I'd like to, but whenever I do, it's like visiting old friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvgjpU-YVPA

I know exactly what you mean dude, I highly recommend checking out Lasertime then: http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/

Yeah Chris that smells like Pizza and Brelston are working at Capcom now but they still have their podcasts going. I haven't listened to the new Talk Radars, it's not the same.

On the other hand, I actually hate the Bombcast, the seemingly don't talk about games for half of the show, it annoys me. Podtoid annoys me since they curse to much sometimes in my opinion.
Funny enough, that's what I love about the Bombcast.
For me who listens to several podcasts on gaming I listen for the people since the news I tend to be well caught up in. From IGN to The Patch
I find each podcast a joy to listen to.

I know exactly what you mean dude, I highly recommend checking out Lasertime then: http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/

Yeah Chris that smells like Pizza and Brelston are working at Capcom now but they still have their podcasts going. I haven't listened to the new Talk Radars, it's not the same.
Yeah, I listen to LaserTime and the other offshoots but I just don't have the time to listen to every single one anymore like I used to. Been listening to the Nick Game Shows one over the last week, good stuff. Needs more Tyler Wilde.

1. 1Up Yours (never forget) - Dan Hsu & Shane Bathensusuasensnesen
2. CAGcast
3. Bombcast (they are so jaded now)
4. Videogamer UK

I used to listen to Rooster Teeth, but stopped shortly after they hired that angry dude.

Invisible Walls just regurgitates information since the Flintstone host left. Is Bosman on this now though?

IGN peeps live in a bubble and their failed predictions show. Greg's funny at least.

I didn't know Garnet Lee from 1UP had a podcast, I'll try that later. Thanks OP.

Pro Tip: Download VLC player and speed up podcasts by at least x1.5 to save time.

Listed to Gamespot Gameplay hosted by Kevin Vanord. The show has a game show theme with scattered gaming discussion and news. No bad. But, Tom Mcshea, the jerk who hates all things you love and loves all things you hate. In his words not mine. And yes he is correct; he is jerky.
Carolyn Petit and Chris Watters make the show enjoyable.

Yeah, I listen to LaserTime and the other offshoots but I just don't have the time to listen to every single one anymore like I used to. Been listening to the Nick Game Shows one over the last week, good stuff. Needs more Tyler Wilde.
I usually listen to my podcasts when I'm working or gaming with games that don't rely heavily on a story so XBLA titles usually.

Listed to LaserTime Vidjagame Apocalypse which is hosted by industry veteran Mike Reparez. This podcast just clicked with me. Great personalities and fun show topics. Thanks for the recommendation.

I would agree,  with most of what you say I might put Joystiq a bit higher but I have not heard a couple. Jim Sterling on podcast annoyed the hell out of me and it is the first podcast I ever unsubscribed to. Video Game Outsiders kind of did the same thing to me afterwards  ,though I do like Gaming History 101, I would like to also put a plug for Watch Out for Fireballs and The Level from Duck feed tv which are usually a good listen for me. I also would be one to go on the record to say Gamespot Gameplay is a fun podcast also.

Wow, no one listens to A Life Well Wasted? It actually has time and effort put into it as opposed to the traditional X number of people enter a room and just ramble, sometimes about games, sometimes not, almost always for too long.

Wow, no one listens to A Life Well Wasted? It actually has time and effort put into it as opposed to the traditional X number of people enter a room and just ramble, sometimes about games, sometimes not, almost always for too long.
I think it is so infrequent it is tough to put it up in the best.

Of the ones I have listened to, I enjoy in no particular order

Bombcast, Weekend Confirmed, Rebel FM, and Idle Thumbs.

The only one that comes to mind that I couldn't stand was the Polygon podcast.

Current community podcast recommendations:

Wired Game's Life
Idle Thumbs
A Life Well Wasted
Watch Out For Fireballs
The Level for Duck
Talk Radars
Vidjagame Apacolypse
VGMpire
Video gamer UK

Funny enough, that's what I love about the Bombcast.
For me who listens to several podcasts on gaming I listen for the people since the news I tend to be well caught up in. From IGN to The Patch
I find each podcast a joy to listen to.
Agreed ... the Giant Bombcast is great driving company, and Jeff Gerstmann is still one of the wisest sages in gaming journalism. Weekend Confirmed is likewise surprisingly well-run by Garnett Lee, on-topic, and has some great drop-in guests.

However, will someone please get that @Gamer podcast out of the "best of" honorable-mention list OP ... seriously, both the magazine & the podcast are what I'd hand my grandparents if they needed a podcast to slowly explain why jumping over chasms is necessary.

Agreed ... the Giant Bombcast is great driving company, and Jeff Gerstmann is still one of the wisest sages in gaming journalism. Weekend Confirmed is likewise surprisingly well-run by Garnett Lee, on-topic, and has some great drop-in guests.

However, will someone please get that @Gamer podcast out of the "best of" honorable-mention list OP ... seriously, both the magazine & the podcast are what I'd hand my grandparents if they needed a podcast to slowly explain why jumping over chasms is necessary.
Well that someone would be me and I enjoy it so it stays on MY list as an honorable mention:)

St. Paul has a new godcasting co-host. God bless you, Ryan Davis.

Great to see gaming journalist paying tribute to Ryan Davis during their podcast. Well done Weekend Confirmed and Joystiq among others.

The Annoyed Gamer, Marcus Beer and Jeff Cannata provide so tense moments on this weeks' Weeken Confirmed.

Also has any one seen Episode 260 of Invisible Walls were Jeremy Hoffman wears Google Glasses for the entirety of the episode. ROFLMAO...what a douche:D

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/103wvs/invisible-walls-episode-260--xbox--turn-around

Overview Top 10 Best Video Game Podcast: #10 The Hatebit Podcast on YouTube.com

Youtubing gamers and metalheads: Alphaomegasin, Razorfist, the Sainted Magnus, and Yellkaos provided an uncensored lowdown of gaming headlines and current industry buzz. Hate is aplenty as these hooligans rip Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft a new one with epic Rants. Other segments include: C*ntbag..the gang answer fan submitted questions. The Videogame Circle Jerk...these haters show "like" for oldschool game systems and video games. The Hatebit Podcast has had popular video game personalies co-hate with them including Silent Rob, Happy Console Gamer and Larry Bundy Jr. for 3 seasons with over 5k subscribers.

These guys are on my top 10 because their opinions are from gamers to gamers. They research their topics and provide critical analysis. They have a wit and charm for a bunch of guys who spew gaming venom. They Inform their fans of industry news that may have gone under the radar or be too taboo for bigger media outlets to report on. This hatecast is for gamers who are nostalgic of the oldschool and current on this and next gen. Video games and hardware. Join the HaterNation as these guys are an entertaining and informative listen.

Just listened to the last two episodes of Podtoid. Ugh.

Also, no love for Player One Podcast? Love that one. Quickly became one of my favs.

Let me start by saying I like game industry talk more than specific game talk so with that said here is my list:

There are my faves:

1 8-4

2 Player One

3 Joystiq

While I don't have 4 - 8,  I'm sure there are probably better ones than these next ones:

9 Daily Joystick / All Age Gaming

10 Eurogamer

11 Idle Thumbs

12 Bombcast

Will tune in if there aren't 18 other podcasts to listen to:

19 Podcast Beyond

20 Podcast Unlocked

21 CAGcast

I like a lot of the shows on GameTrailers like Annoyed Gamer, Final Bosman, and Invisible Walls but I watch those so I don't count them as podcasts.

Checking out Vidjagame Apacolypse as I write this and sounds pretty good so far.

WTF? Podcast Beyond is by the far the #1 videogame podcast in my opinion. BEYOND!!!!!!
I think it has it's moments, but Greg Miller is nearly intolerable. Especially in that live show they did, I couldn't even finish it, especially where they kept saying beyond to get the audience to scream it. Not funny and way annoying. They are much better when they aren't in front of a crowd.

Just listened to the last two episodes of Podtoid. Ugh.

Also, no love for Player One Podcast? Love that one. Quickly became one of my favs.
Podtoid should just disassemble.

Please, please, it's just Spybreak lol. Awesome, all the podcasts, aside from the wrestling one (not a fan), are great from http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/

Spybreak it is.

I think it has it's moments, but Greg Miller is nearly intolerable. Especially in that live show they did, I couldn't even finish it, especially where they kept saying beyond to get the audience to scream it. Not funny and way annoying. They are much better when they aren't in front of a crowd.
Colin Moriarty is the one who kills the show for me. BEYOND...annoying.

I like a lot of the shows on GameTrailers like Annoyed Gamer, Final Bosman, and Invisible Walls but I watch those so I don't count them as podcasts.

Checking out Vidjagame Apacolypse as I write this and sounds pretty good so far.
Oh yes, I recommend AnnoyedGamer and Final Bosman; two individuals who tell it like it is. Their E3 special where they both got together was good.

I just remembered a classic is also The Drunk Tank, the good ol' Rooster Teeth guys.

Giantbomb seems to have not missed a step this week, they spent like an hour talking about breakfast cereals and it was fucking hilarious.

bread's done
Back